PDA

View Full Version : [Results] SCG DfD 10/7 & 10/8

Peter_Rotten
10-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Ripped from Anus's post on SCG: (http://www.starcitygames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=293911)

Day 1 Top 8 (72 Players):
1. Rw Vial Goblins
2. UWG Threshold
3. UWG Threshold
4. Reset High Tide ("Solidarity")
5. Mono-Blue Control ("BBS")
6. BW Confidant
7. Rw Vial Goblins
8. UGBW Landstill

Day 2 Top 8 (55 Players):
1. Monored Vial Goblins
2. Rw Vial Goblins
3. Mantle Affinity
4. Ill-Gotten Gains Tendrils Combo ("Iggy Pop")
5. UWG Gro
6. 43land
7. Rw Vial Goblins
8. RGBSA

The metagame for day 1 and day 2 was fairly consistent.
High Tide: 10-15%
Goblins: 10%
Threshold/Gro: 15-20%
(Initial estimates)

Goblins is still... well... Goblins. The more interesting results are the following:

1. BBS. This is the second large tourney that BBS has T8ed. The first was Kaddy's DLDII. This is especially interesting considering most players claim control to be dead in Legacy. (See also UGBW Landstill).

2. 43Land. First taken as a really fun and original bit of a joke, it has actually T8ed. I'm curious to find out if 43Land dodged all combo matches or if it actually beat a combo deck or two.

Eldariel
10-09-2006, 10:03 AM
On another note, I'd really like to know how Iggy Pop failed to win the tournament when the 3 other decks in Top 4 are all aggro. Perhaps the Gobs-lists ran some SAVAGE anti-Pop tech. Also, no Faerie Stompy, Fish, EBA or anything else to that effect. Frown. 43 Lands, Affinity, both are probably pretty solid. I've seen some variants of 43 Lands with more anti-combo tech in main with Burning Wish and Cabal Therapy to go with the deck's engine and Rishadan Ports. From what I've heard, combo is very winnable for those.

Evil Roopey
10-09-2006, 10:26 AM
In the Top 4 Iggy mulled to 4 first game and got mana screwed second against Goblins.

43-Land did beat a Solidarity player in the swiss.

Miracle Gro is amazing.

parallax
10-09-2006, 11:07 AM
43-Land did beat a Solidarity player in the swiss.

Sorry about that. It was my first tournament running Solidarity and I'm not quite up to par. I stumbled on lands quite a bit in games two and three combined with Rishadan Port on his side.

He did a very good job of putting on massive beats.

Volt
10-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Was there a soul brave enough to try playing CounterSliver at this event?

xsockmonkeyx
10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Not likely, i figure we are all on the west coast for now.

Volt
10-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Not likely, i figure we are all on the west coast for now.

Aah, those backwards east-coasters. Always missing out on the latest tech.

Some pretty interesting results at this event. I wouldn't have guessed that Goblins would do quite so well as it did. Also, Thresh underperformed a bit, I think. Probably because of those pesky little green men.

EDIT: On second thought, it looks like Thresh's T8 places are in line with its percentage of the field, assuming those metagame numbers are roughly correct. I guess it's just that Goblins over-performed.

Bardo
10-09-2006, 01:18 PM
Miracle Gro is amazing.

Technically, Miracle Gro is U/G; Super Grow is U/G/W.

Random comments/observations:

* Congrats Machinus! I would have loved to have played, but I was busy digging post holes, mixing cement and rebuilding the fence in my backyard. Not to mention the tourney was like 3,000 miles away from me. :(

* Mono-U taking a Top 8 slot is the most surprising result. The rest is pretty much expected. I've played against 43-lands a few times on MWS and am routinely throunced. The deck looks like a horse's ass, but it can get the nutz surprisingly often. Armageddon, however...

* Finally, congrats to all of the TMDers and Sourcers who did well. I hear that the NoVa crew kicked some ass.

Edit - And don't forget, if you write a bitching tournament report, you might win your own copy of Hunter S. Thompson Hell's Angels. (http://www.themanadrain.com/index.php?topic=30503.0) Talk about a random prize. ;)

URABAHN
10-09-2006, 02:07 PM
The All-Unicorn finals action on Day 1 between Mr. Nipples and Mad Zur was so hot! Hugs to both of you for being so cute! Team Unicorn would also like to welcome the new anointed Rochester Unicorn Unit with quicksilver and Nantuko Shady! Team Unicorn can always use more big units.

Whit3 Ghost
10-09-2006, 02:21 PM
The Deadguy list ran Descendant of K... maindeck along with EE as anti-Thresh tech. I'm just glad people still play it.

My Name Is Scott
10-09-2006, 04:57 PM
2. 43Land. First taken as a really fun and original bit of a joke, it has actually T8ed. I'm curious to find out if 43Land dodged all combo matches or if it actually beat a combo deck or two.
Day two was a good metagame for that deck. He got good matchups rounds one and two, and he went busted in my face playing duck hunt round three. He definately didn't do a good job dodging IGGy pop in the semifinals though.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I had a blast both days, even though I didn't T8 either days with Solidarity. I got paired with Gearhart Day 1 round 1, and I made a misplay which pretty much affected me for the rest of the day. Although I'm sure Gearhart knew I was just being a nice guy and letting him get payback for the match at Kaddy's Dual Land Draft. Anyways, I hade a great time and it was great meeting all of the sourcers who attended, especially the Unicorns. :wink:

"The bat slipped in there FTW!"

Maximus04
10-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Two of us were running BBS day 1. My friend just had bad odds in the swiss. I did very solid but lost to my worst matchup, Solidarity. We didnt adequately prepare for the deck. We already fixed the SB for the matchup. Though I think i'll give gearheart a run for his money if i see him again.

Control isnt dead, just look around and see how awesome your matchup are. The format is unbalanced.

Meatballsinpasta
10-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I've played against 43-lands a few times on MWS and am routinely throunced. The deck looks like a horse's ass, but it can get the nutz surprisingly often. Armageddon, however...

That was my friend Chris pioth playing the deck and he has armageddon in his own sideboard, very good card in his deck. (seriously)

And i played Mantle Affinity I lost in top 4 to mono red Gob's :mad: 4 main deck goblin tinker smashed me. :cry: Atleast I won one game. :laugh:

Barsoom
10-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Two of us were running BBS day 1. My friend just had bad odds in the swiss. I did very solid but lost to my worst matchup, Solidarity. We didnt adequately prepare for the deck. We already fixed the SB for the matchup. Though I think i'll give gearheart a run for his money if i see him again.

Control isnt dead, just look around and see how awesome your matchup are. The format is unbalanced.

Very Very Very truthful congratulations guy...
Can you post your decklist somewhere?