PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Relic Orb- Mono Blue Prison

clavio
10-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Relic Orb (otherwise known as efreet stompy) is a Mono Blue prison deck that takes advantage of tapping one’s own winter orb to turn it off. This allows you to untap as normal while your opponent only untaps one land. Once you have winter orb going, you use ports to tighten down the lock. Your opponent will writhe as you beat down for the win with your rainbow efreet on turn 50. It has been getting very good results. Here is my list:

Lands
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 Rishadan Port
16 Island
2 Blinkmoth Well

Creatures
2 Rainbow Efreet

Non Creature spells
4 Daze
4 Propaganda
4 Counterspell
4 Impulse
4 Force of Will
2 Echoing Truth
3 Tangle Wire
4 Winter Orb
4 Relic Barrier

// Sideboard
4 Hydroblast
4 Chill
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Cursed Totem

Card Choices:

Tabernacle: Very effective vs. creature heavy decks. With tabernacle and winter orb in play you are basically asking your opponent every upkeep if they want to be hit by Armageddon or wrath of god.

Rishadan Port: They tighten down the lock and make your opponent unable to play anything. Not too bad prelock either.

Island: meh

Blinkmoth well: Extra relic barriers. If your opponent needles barrier or you just don’t draw any, these will help.

Rainbow efreet: You can’t kill it. It is simply the hardiest blue creature out there. People keep saying that morphling would be better because its more efficient pre lock. If you are relying on beating down prelock, you have already lost.

Mana Leak: stops stuff

Propaganda: Slows goblins and other creature decks to a crawl. After winter orb, they basically can’t attack. Very useful.

Counterspell: Stops stuff

Impulse: Helps find things. Also puts cards on the bottom of your library if both efreets are near the bottom of your deck.

Force of will: Stop stuff for free

Echoing truth: Usually getting meddling mage, sometimes needle or sharpshooter. It deals with what needs to be dealt with.

Tangle Wire: Whenever I show people this deck, they always want to drop tangle wire. It’s a good speed bump pre orb. Its even better after you have orb in play.

Winter Orb: It’s the deck

Relic Barrier: Taps Orb

Sideboard
Hydroblast, chill: Mono red gave this deck trouble. Losing to burn 1st round essentially puts you out of the running for top 4,8.

Chalice of the void: Very good if you have no one drops. Comes in against many decks.

Cursed totem: decks with mana creatures used to be the bane of this deck. This card helps immensely. Also makes life.dec a better matchup and stops sharpshooter. You can’t phase efreet once you have it on the field, but hopefully that won’t matter

But the question remains, why would you play this deck?

It has been getting very good results vs the top decks in the format.

Propaganda tangle wire and tabernacle slow goblins down to a crawl. To quote one of my recent opponents “Your deck is my decks worst nightmare”. Yeah.

Tangle wire, winter orb and countermagic make solidarity a reasonable matchup. Sideboarding in chalice is always fun, as they will either have to bounce it or go off without high tide. Solidarity is not an easy match, but I usually end up the winner.

Thresh does not have a fast enough clock to beat me before I lock them down. They have countermagic of course, but it rarely matters. Pithing needle naming relic barrier is annoying. I have lost games to thresh, but it is a favorable matchup.

It usually beats randoms.

Another reason to play this deck is because you are the sadistic person who likes to lockdown their opponent. This is the main reason I play this deck. It’s a pain in the ass to play against if you don’t know what’s coming. The face of a locked down opponent is priceless.

It’s under the radar. No one expects this deck after your first turn play is island, go.

A third reason to play this deck is that it can be played well without ridiculous amounts of playskill. I don’t have any playskill, yet I am able to do well with this deck.

So that’s all. I like this deck a lot. Please post any comments, suggestions etc.

Mirrislegend
10-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Relic Barrier is ridiculously narrow. I understand why it's in the deck, but without an Orb, its a ridiculously dead card. Maybe -1 Relic Barrier, +1 Icy Manipulator? Or something, anything, to make the Relic Barrier slots useful besides when you have an Orb in play?

Cavius The Great
10-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Clavio, have you considered Dream Tides? That's what Mono-Blue Prop-orb decks used in 96' and it worked pretty well.

clavio
10-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I have considered dream tides, but I don't know what to drop. What would you drop?

Cavius The Great
10-11-2006, 10:31 AM
I have considered dream tides, but I don't know what to drop. What would you drop?

I'd probably drop the 3 Tangle Wire and add 3 Dream Tides. They basically do the same thing, deal with creatures, and you can even pitch them to FoW when needed. You can't really pitch Tangle Wire to FoW. :tongue:

Goblin Snowman
10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Have you taken a look at Static Orb It can work as Winter Orbs 5-8. Also, how about Trinisphere to help to Combo MU?

clavio
10-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd probably drop the 3 Tangle Wire and add 3 Dream Tides. They basically do the same thing, deal with creatures, and you can even pitch them to FoW when needed. You can't really pitch Tangle Wire to FoW. :tongue:

But tangle wire is so good vs solidarity

Cavius The Great
10-11-2006, 07:16 PM
But tangle wire is so good vs solidarity

It should depend on whether Solidarity is a bad matchup for you or not. You should then come to a conclusion as to which matchups need the most improvement. Solidarity or general aggro.

On another note. Have you considered Howling Mine? It's pretty one sided most the time with Relic Barrier, plus it gives Relic Barrier more useful targets. I'm thinking running two might be sufficient.

These are the changes that I personally would make.

-3 Tangle Wire
+1 Icy Manipulator
+2 Howling Mine

cupajoe
10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
Great deck....I really like it....Very creative,and it's impressive you have a good game against Sol, Thresh and Goblins

One thing I was wondering, what about when you run into decks that use very little mana.....

I could see black giving you problems.....a fair amount of Legacy decks can run off of one or two mana.....

It seems like by the time you establish the prison against those types of decks, you may already have lost.....

Have you thought about a transitional sideboard?....Taking out the lock elements and replacing with a different strategy...Seems better than chill or hydroblast....I personally don't like having color-specific cards in sideboards....Seems too narrow to me.....

Or perhaps leave in the lock elements and include different lock elements in the board.....That way, you can side out Prop against creatureless decks etc.

I don't know what to suggest specifically, just some food for thought.

Durahan
10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Have you considered running Sphere of Resistance or Trinisphere? Seems to fit right into the deck to me.

clavio
11-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I am thinking about replacing 2 winter orbs with 2 satic orbrs and 2 relic barriers for 2 icy manipulators. Static orb, while sucking vs solidarity is pretty dominant vs goblins especially when propaganda is on the field. Icy manipulator helps me dodge needle naming relic barrier. Post lock Icy becomes a port if I have multiple orb tappers.

Bane of the Living
11-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Why arent you running Daze? The opponents mana will be extremely tight under Orb, and if your just playing mono blue counter style with no Relic out, Daze becomes a house. Your opponent might need to wait an extra turn to untap one more land to play anything they dont want dazed. It doesnt cost you mana and you can replay the land you bounce if you dont draw one for the next turn. Seems like nice synergy.

More Orb synergy.. moxen. Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond will have you untapping two mana a turn while your opponent gets their one. I know all that changes with Relic in play but your worried about Pithing Needle ruining the way the deck works. Just build your deck to not rely on Relic as much.

Parallax Tide and Stifle seem to fit the theme of your deck as well.

clavio
11-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I am running daze, I just forgot to edit the first post....oops.

I can't run moxen. I don't have enough card draw to pitch away cards to gain speed. It seems like a good idea, but in practice it doesn't work.

parallax tide and stifle would require me to play multiples of both, and it seems like overkill. While parallax tide with tabernacle in play is ridiculous, I don't think it is entirley neccesary.

Cavius The Great
11-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Now that Bane has mentioned Daze, have you considered Force Spike? It has the same exact agenda that Bane explained for Daze, plus it stops first turn stuff. You also have to remember it's good in the late game with an Orb in play when it normally wouldn't be. Just a little something to consider.

Bane of the Living
11-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I am running daze, I just forgot to edit the first post....oops.

I can't run moxen. I don't have enough card draw to pitch away cards to gain speed. It seems like a good idea, but in practice it doesn't work.

parallax tide and stifle would require me to play multiples of both, and it seems like overkill. While parallax tide with tabernacle in play is ridiculous, I don't think it is entirley neccesary.

Well Stifle gives you a better game against Iggy Pop and Solidarity in the off chance you stifle storm, and also helps you get to late game by having more lackey answers. Parallax Tide is not only awsome with Tabernacle but Propaganda as well. I disagree that you cant fit Mox Diamonds, you run 25 lands. Extra Tabernacles can used to put them out. You should rather play a mox than a land because of orb anyways.

Other interesting ideas are Counterbalance, since your curve is low and your opponent can only cast low curve spells. Then also Muddle the Mixture for its tutoring capabilities.

Are there any better kill conditions?

Cavius The Great
11-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Are there any better kill conditions?

Grindstone and Jester's Cap maybe?

Bane of the Living
11-11-2006, 01:01 PM
If you use Jesters Scepter you get some Counter Control whilst you mill. Couple it with your Echoing Truths for the devestating mill effect.

clavio
11-11-2006, 10:21 PM
// Lands
14 Island (3)
4 Rishadan Port
2 Blinkmoth Well
2 Ancient Tomb

// Creatures
1 Rainbow Efreet
1 Morphling

// Spells
4 Icy Manipulator
3 Tangle Wire
4 Daze
2 Relic Barrier
4 Force of Will
4 Propaganda
3 Winter Orb
3 Static Orb
4 Impulse
1 Mana Short
1 Repeal

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [5E] Winter Orb
SB: 1 [7E] Static Orb
SB: 3 [6E] Cursed Totem
SB: 4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 3 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
SB: 1 [IA] Jester's Cap
SB: 2 [DK] Tormod's Crypt

New list, lots of diifferent stuff

I added 1 morpling and dropped one Efreet.

I dropped counterspell. This gave me some flexibility as hitting UU became unnecesary.

Less islands, more ancient tomb

Icy manipulator is pretty awesome. It taps orb, or it taps their shit. Much better than relic.

The big change is the addition of static orb. Static orb is fantastic vs creature based decks. It gives you a shot game one against decks that would only lose if you got cursed totem, and they could still have a shot then. It is worse in the solidarity matchup, but not too bad.

Only one bounce spell. Meddling mage and Needle don't kick my ass so much anymore.

Mana short, because it's awesome. With tabernacle on the field it becomes a friggen wog.

Chill became sor. Why stop at red spells?

Cavius The Great
11-12-2006, 10:25 AM
I really think you need to be running more counters.

These are the changes I would suggest.

-1 Repeal
-1 Mana Short

+2 Force Spike

Both Mana Short and Repeal are janky IMO and are not needed most of the time. I agree that if you need a bounce spell, I'd go with echoing truth or something similiar.

Ten counters sounds about right to me. :wink: I'd even think of going to 12 if you ever found the room.

clavio
11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
While I agree that I need more counters, I will not be dropping repeal. I need to be able to deal with meddling mage, and that is the card that can do it. Mana short is very good, but it may be unneccesary...I'll see.

BossOfTheGame
11-12-2006, 09:55 PM
I've found Mana Short can be very helpful, but the biggest problem with this deck is the fact that if they have enough cheap artifact destruction you lose. I can't think of any way to stop that other than countermagic.

clavio
11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
// Lands
3 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 [MM] Rishadan Port
12 [MR] Island (1)
2 [MR] Blinkmoth Well
3 [TE] Ancient Tomb

// Creatures
1 [VI] Rainbow Efreet
1 [US] Morphling

// Spells
4 [TE] Propaganda
4 [AL] Force of Will
1 [DS] Echoing Truth
3 [NE] Tangle Wire
4 [U] Winter Orb
4 [LG] Relic Barrier
4 [5E] Howling Mine
2 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
4 [NE] Daze
2 [SH] Mox Diamond
2 [5E] Counterspell

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
SB: 2 [7E] Arcane Laboratory
SB: 4 [7E] Static Orb
SB: 3 [6E] Cursed Totem

I switched back to a more "classic" relic orb. Although static orb is better against goblins, it is worse in almost every other match. Winter orb is much more absolute. I end up sideboarding a lot after each game depending on what they play. I am playing howling mine now because I was sick of hitting an efreet and a winter orb every damn time I impulsed.

Bane of the Living
11-20-2006, 07:04 PM
I noticed your not playing Academy Ruins. It makes Intuition a power house. You can cut down on copies of Orb and Relic safely. Instead of Howling Mine or Impulse you could use try AK's along with the Intuitions..

Recurring Tangle Wire ftw.

clavio
11-20-2006, 07:25 PM
I fail to see how it makes me able to safely cut down on orbs. It may make intuition a "power house" but if I intuition for 3 copies any way it doesn't add anything.

I might run 1 for the hell of if.

Bane of the Living
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
I mean if you had Academy Ruins, probably in place of Blinkmoth Well. You could add Intuition to tutor up a Winter Orb, Relic Barrier, and Tangle Wire. You effectively get the other 2 back if Ruins is out.

outsideangel
11-21-2006, 04:02 AM
2 Mox Diamond seems really random to me. Typically with moxes, you want them in the first two turns, which means a full playset, or not at all.

How do you justify Mox Diamond as a 2-of, a slot usually reserved for late game cards or filler? How has it been working out for you?

Additionally, do you feel that, having already opened up to Wasteland with Port, Tomb, Tabernacle, and (maybe) Academy Ruins, a splash color could be justified? If so, what color? White gives Enlightened Tutor, Supression Field, and (lol) Kismet. Green has Root Maze.

Finally, I find myself going to time a lot with this deck. Maybe up the win conditions to 3 for a quicker victory?

Cavius The Great
11-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I run Mox Diamond as a 2-of in alot of decks and I've never felt the need to run more. 4 is excessive for alot of decks, especially control. There are times where Mox Diamond is a dead card in your had becuase of no land to discard to it, Like if you have 2 Moxen in your opening hand with only one land to pitch to it and etc.

clavio
11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
97.4% of the time I play a mox I'm going to be pitching a tabernacle (either because I already have one or it's a match where they are irrelevant). It would be impractical to run any more because I do not need them all the time.

outsideangel
11-22-2006, 02:55 AM
Playing around with the latest list, I've noticed I'm often coming up short of blue cards to pit to Force of Will.

Not counting other Forces, you've got 13 cards to pitch to it, of which 2 are the deck's only win conditions and 6 are other counterspells.

Has anyone else been experiencing similar issues? If so, I think maybe going back to Impulse might be good. It's pitchable to Force, and digs pretty deep for that second combo piece you need.

Also, it looks like Chalice for one could be pretty viable.

clavio
11-23-2006, 08:58 PM
I think Im going to switch howling mine to fabricate, as it can pitch to fow and most of the time I need an artifact anyway.

If I end up playing academy ruins, I think Ill need to play Jester's cap. Jester's cap + academy ruins sures things up and can be an alt win vs life.dec./king sulieman.dec

outsideangel
11-25-2006, 04:37 PM
I played around with Fabricate a bit. (not extensively, but some)

I think if you do run Fabricate you should run at least 1 artifact land, and change up 1 copy of Winter Orb for a Static Orb.

I do think I like Impulse better, though. Fabricate can't dig up a Port or Propaganda or Tabernacle or that Counterspell you randomly need, or let you keep those saucy two land hands. It's also less good once you get the lock down, and are looking for countermagic to protect it and win conditions to, well, win. The deck runs multiples of everything, so I rarely get bad Impulses.

How's the Sphere of Resistance working out for you?

clavio
01-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Here is a new list that I have been playing around with:

// Lands
14 [B] Island (2)
3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
1 [TSP] Academy Ruins
4 [MM] Rishadan Port
3 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

// Creatures
1 [VI] Rainbow Efreet
1 [US] Morphling

// Spells
1 [DS] Echoing Truth
2 [NE] Daze
3 [NE] Tangle Wire
3 [7E] Static Orb
4 [4E] Counterspell
4 [TE] Propaganda
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [VI] Impulse
2 [9E] Icy Manipulator
3 [FD] Relic Barrier
3 [A] Winter Orb

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [EX] Sphere of Resistance
SB: 1 [NE] Tangle Wire
SB: 4 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [7E] Static Orb
SB: 2 [6E] Cursed Totem
SB: 1 [A] Winter Orb

I dropped blinkmoth well because tapping 3 lands isn't worth it. I play 14 islands now, allowing me to play real counterspells. I like static orb a lot. Only playing 1 echoing truth may be suicidal, but it hasn't proved deadly yet. I like the bone cranks, they are much more useful than relic barrier.

jebus
01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
Why not maindeck Chalice of the Void instead of Tangle Wire?

clavio
01-28-2007, 12:08 AM
Tangle wire is really exceptional in almost every match up. In fact, I can't think of a matchup off the top of my head where I wouldn't want wire. Academy ruins make them ridiculous.

I think Im going to move the static orbs to the sideboard and main deck 4 winter orbs. While static orb is better against some decks, winter orb isn't as detrimental in these matchups as static orb is against solidarity.

FatHydralisk
02-22-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey, nice to see another Winter Orb fan. My preferred version runs a red splash for pyroclasm and fire/ice.

A list to look at for the mono blue build:
4 x winter orb
4 x Force of Will
4 x Daze
3 x Memory Lapse
2 x Propaganda
2 x Echoing Truth
2 x Spire Golems
3 x Serendib Efreet
2 x Isochron Scepter
3 x Tangle Wire
2 x Mind Stone
4 x Brainstorm
2 x Gigadrowse
2 x Fire/Ice

2 x Blinkmoth well
2 x Volcanic Island/Steam Vents
4 x Mishra Factory (optional, I like them a lot)
12 or 16 Islands (12 if you use the Factories)
2 x Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale

Card Choice Explanations:
Winter Orb: Better than Static in most cases, especially if you are using the critter route I prefer.

FoW: If you got em, flaunt em.

Daze: Free counter? You get your Islands back in your hand? Sweet.

Memory lapse: Perhaps the most evil one-two punch with Winter Orb is turn 2 Lapse, then Winter Orb, burying future land, they're tapped out, and you're in control.

Propaganda: Stay Away! I also play in a less creature heavy meta, so the other two of these would probably be in the board. Does nothing to combo, which I've been seeing a lot of.

Echoing Truth: Solves a lot of problems and can get many-for-one economy. Also stops EoT Decree if that's a problems for you.

Spire Golems: Come out on the cheap, have a large toughness, and fly. They dont race as well as could be. I tend to fluctuate between Juggernauts and these. Juggernauts are a huge clock but die horribly to bolts, and can't stay home to defend well (they're so eager).

Serendib Efreet: Now this is a clock. It does hurt you, but it's cheap, flies, is hard to kill, is blue, and does three a turn.

Isochron: Makes for some retardedly bad situations for your opponent. Gigadrowse, Memory lapse, Fire/Ice, Echoing Truth, and hell, even Brainstorm make for some good times.

Tanglewire: I have yet to test this extensively, but I have read the posts, and used it for similar purposes in other decks. But slows opponent down horribly, and when used in conjunction with Winter Orb is a beast.

Gigadrowse: Good on its own, retarded on a stick, as the replicate can be used from the stick. Helps set up for a good Orb drop, taps orb, or just stops that lethal attack when needed.

Fire/Ice: Yeah, I know, it's part red. However, it fits on a stick nicely, is useful for just the ice part, and if you use the four duals, it ends up working quite nicely as a finisher, weenie removal, or ball lightning slayer. I tend to play four in my R/U version, but figured two would be what could be supported here.

Mindstone: Good for some untappable mana, and can draw you a card in a pinch.

Brainstorm: Our main card draw for the deck. Works well to smooth mana and search out that answer.

Mishra's Factory: I've heard a lot about them having bad synergy with Orb, which can be true, but we have Mindstone and Orb tapping. The real reason these guys are amazing is they're uncounterable. That's useful quite often. They're optional though. Otherwise put in more Islands

For a Sideboard, I would probably run:
3 x Tormod's Crypt
2 x Disk (panic button)
2 x Arcane Lab (combo)
2 x Echoing Truth
2 x Chill (burn is a pain)
2 x Propaganda (weenies again)
2 x pithing Needle (for scepter chant)

smeagol
02-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Just a thought... Why not add one or two March of the Machines as a win condtion? after you've locked your opponent from the game you can wait for the March and smash lifetotals with your Artifact men (also a good card if there are any Affinity players around ^^).

Radley
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
You won't use multiple copy of each artifact so march of the machine is useless.

With tabernacle at pendrell vale and winter orb out, the creatures will die, so i don't see any use for static orb.

clavio
04-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I made a new list that has been getting fairly decent results:

// Lands
2 Academy Ruins
4 Rishadan Port
3 Seat of the Synod
12 Island (3)

// Creatures
2 Rainbow Efreet

// Spells
2 Echoing Truth
4 Counterspell
4 Propaganda
4 Force of Will
3 Impulse
4 Relic Barrier
4 Winter Orb
3 Tangle Wire
3 Thirst for Knowledge
3 Mana Leak

// Sideboard
1 Tangle Wire
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Cursed Totem
3 Tormod's Crypt
4 Static Orb

I may play chill instead of static orb.

I don't think I made it clear how good academy ruins is in previous posts. It's really good. It's the reason why I'm playing this deck again.

Cavius The Great
04-03-2007, 09:34 AM
@Clavio - have you considered Howling Mine for additional Relic Barrier targets? Howling Mine might be better in your Impulse slot.

Ivory Tower might also be good in the SB against burn and general aggro.

Dark Hippo
04-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello. I was active in the stasis thread but it kinda died down from what I can see and this has caught my attention. A win condition that goes really well with tangle wire is chronatog. Thats just my opinion. Also what about wasteland. It seems like it could be useful in a deck like this.

clavio
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
@ howling mine: I like howling mine. I dropped it when I dropped icy, for whatever reason. Yeah. I think I'll put it back in there.

@ Ivory tower: It's a neat idea, but since it costs one it would be impractical to bring it in vs burn. If anything I may run zuran orb. I think the burn matchup will be favorable if I drop static orb for chill.

@ chronatog: Chronatog is a nice idea, but impractical for tournament play. Often times you will run out of time in a game that you would have won. Academy ruins gives me an alternate kill if efreet fails. Chronatog gets owned by pithing needle, and burn (fireblast).

edit:
@ wasteland: I like Counterspell, and I'd be really short on blue if I ran wasteland. If I did run wasteland though, I'd probably throw in crucible.

Islands are also really good if your opponent casts high tide, which happens.

Cavius The Great
04-04-2007, 11:50 AM
@ howling mine: I like howling mine. I dropped it when I dropped icy, for whatever reason. Yeah. I think I'll put it back in there.

@ Ivory tower: It's a neat idea, but since it costs one it would be impractical to bring it in vs burn. If anything I may run zuran orb. I think the burn matchup will be favorable if I drop static orb for chill.

@ chronatog: Chronatog is a nice idea, but impractical for tournament play. Often times you will run out of time in a game that you would have won. Academy ruins gives me an alternate kill if efreet fails. Chronatog gets owned by pithing needle, and burn (fireblast).

edit:
@ wasteland: I like Counterspell, and I'd be really short on blue if I ran wasteland. If I did run wasteland though, I'd probably throw in crucible.

Islands are also really good if your opponent casts high tide, which happens.

Wasteland isn't necessary. Rishadan Port fills that role and does it ten times better.

clavio
05-01-2007, 06:32 AM
I need a solid sideboard card to combat loam decks. I have tormod's crypt right now, but I don't know if it will be enough.

Cavius The Great
05-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Have you considered Phyrexian Furnace?

clavio
05-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Do you mean in conjunction with crypt, or in lieu of? It only gets one at a time. It's only efficient when you drop it early, while crypt is efficient as soon as you drop it. I can use it's ability to pick off a single card, but crypt can take out that card as well as the rest of the cards in their grave at the same time.

Cavius The Great
05-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Phyrexian Furnace is a cantrip and can basically remove your opponents whole yard if you get one down early enough(and keep on doing it). Look at it this way, Phyrexian Furnace isn't a one shot deal like Crypt (unless you want it to be, and even then you draw a card) and can keep on removing cards every single turn. You can sac it for spot removal in the yard and unlike Crypt you get to draw a card. All you really need to do is remove the Loam, which Tormod's Crypt can do, but isnt restricted to being a one shot deal. IMO Phyrexian Furnace is probably a better choice.

f|i[p]
10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Greetings,

This thread has been dead for quite sometime...but anyway, i would just like to post my thoughts on it, since I have recently been playing Armageddon stax as a prison deck...

I am a fan of prison decks....

I know this is a Mono BLue Prison deck...

However, I was just wondering if you ever considered splashing white for this particular prison build?

It gives you propaganda 5-8 with ghostly prison.. and gives you magus of the tabernacle which has very good synergy with your winter orbs, rishadan ports, as well as tangle wires..He can also beat down and block...Magus & winter orb and ghostly prison.. is a very hard lock for aggro based decks..

I was actually thinking of combining both White stax and this list to come up with something interesting...

clavio
10-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Hi

Actually I was toying around with UW version of this deck. I would drop counters from the deck and play things like abeyance or chant, since they seem better vs combo at this point.

Ghostly prison is the obvious reason to splash white. I probably wouldn't play 8 prop effects, but probably 3/3.

Magus seems plausible, since you can't play more than 1 tabernacle of the pendrell vale at once. That being said, he costs the same as pendrell mists which I have found unplayable due to it's cost.

White gives E tutor, which is really good here. Moat and wog too.

I haven't liked Geddon in this deck.

Tarmogoyf has weakened this deck, so I kind of abandoned it. It's sometimes hard to deal with single creatures (a horde is easier to control) and since he can get so big so fast, he can sometimes win on his own.

Edit: Here's a rough outline for the UW version

3 tabernacle
4 port
2 ruins
4 tundra
5 plains
5 island

4 winter orb
4 relic barrier
2 Big flying creature of doom (prob morphling)
3 tangle wire
3 prop
3 ghostly prison
3 e-tutor
4 orim chant
4 ak
3 impulse
2 abeyance
---------------------------

2 abeyance
3 tormod's crypt
3 rop lands
1 prop
1 ghostly prison
4 cotv
1 moat

Im not sure if it's good at all.

Cavius The Great
10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
@Clavio - For your mono-blue version, have you considered Jester's Cap as an additional win condition with Academy Ruins?

clavio
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
@Clavio - For your mono-blue version, have you considered Jester's Cap as an additional win condition with Academy Ruins?

Yeah, I played 2 in my board at the last tournament I played the deck.

f|i[p]
10-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Ah interesting...

Is there a place for trinisphere in this deck? it adds up to the lock.. along with winter orb and tangle wire..it would be hard for your opponent to cast anything..

Its also good against combo

although since we dont have 2 mana lands,perhaps it would be a hindrance...

How about 2 mana lands? have you ever considered them?

Curby
10-08-2007, 07:51 AM
People keep bringing up Trinisphere, which brings this deck just one step closer to Stax. Why let them have tapped permanents in play when you can just get rid of them altogether? It seems that a common criticism of new deck designs is to say "Why not just play X deck," which is understandable for competitive designs, but not so important for creative/casual decks. So keeping with the theme of "gotta tap 'em all," this seems like a good list. If the goal is to build a ruthless prison deck though, how does this compare to Angel/Gedden Stax?