PDA

View Full Version : [Report] I AM THE ... dammit, I hate you Jesse.

Deep6er
10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
So anyway, I would like to first state that I hate Dave Price. He's a big ol' sack of jerkface. Camping was the shittiest idea this weekend (which included a whole bunch of shitty ideas/decks). Anyway, on to the tournament report.

Round 1: Greg (Nantuko Shady) playing Solidarity
Game 1: You know, this whole match was ridiculous. I beat the ever loving shit out of him.
Game 2: Look at Machinus' picture. That's me. God, I'm so amazing at magic.

Round 2: Eric Darland (Sexy Rector) playing Truffle Shuffle
Game 1: HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God, I'm so fucking unbelievably awesome at magic. Dear Jesus, do I beat the shit out of him game 1. He tries to do shit and I don't care, blah, blah, blah.
Game 2: It was SICK. I lose ALL of my High Tides on a weird draw and proceed to go ULTRA late game. I combo him out with JUST a Turnabout as my untap effect and I still have to go through Gaea's Blessing. Damn, I'm fucking awesome at magic.

Round 3: Jesse Hatfield playing Threshold
Game 1: Goddammit. I hate Jesse Hatfield. Seriously, I fucking hate Jesse Hatfield. That bastard ALWAYS fucking beats me at the frog. Every goddamn week. Anyway, I win this game. It was pretty savage. His draws were shit.
Game 2: I don't get past 2 mana this game. I remand his turn 4 Werebear, he dazes then replays Tropical Island to play Nimble Mongoose. Fuck you.
Game 3: I couldn't actually win this game. God, I hate Jesse Hatfield.

Round 4: Chris Pioth playing 43 Land
Game 1: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH. Goddamn, I'm fucking amazing at magic. He draws 3 ports. Eh, it's kind of relevant? Nah, I'm just kidding.
Game 2: He draws 3 ports and 2 Pyroblasts. Irony. Pyroblast + Manabond = not a combo. Heh.

Round 5: Hanni playing U/W/B Fish
Game 1: He gets mana-flooded and I combo him out with ease. He also doesn't know how to play this matchup.
Game 2: While shuffling he presents his deck, I cut, and he's just about to draw his hand. Then, he notices that he forgot to shuffle back in a Force, says, "Oh, I forgot to shuffle this back in," and really quickly shuffles it back in and then presents again. That was really shady man. If you hadn't been so incredibly quick to shuffle it back in again, I don't think I would have called the judge so quickly. I've had people do that to me and then argue that they didn't when the judge came over. Nothing personal man, but that was definitely shady.

Round 6: Kenneth Mclaughlin playing Goblin with Bolt
Game 1: He keeps a 1 land hand with double Fanatic as his only playable drops. I beat the ever loving shit out of him.
Game 2: He keeps a 1 land hand with Lackey as his only out. I Hydroblast Lackey. God, I'm awesome at magic.

Round 7: Glenn playing MUC
I intentional draw with Glenn, but make sure that he knows how incredibly terrible his matchup against me is. :) Damn, I'm so fucking awesome.

Top 8
GLENN ANDERSON PLAYING MONO BLUE CONTROL
Game 1: I almost shit myself at one of the two easiest matchups in top 8. He tries to do relevant stuff and I laugh in his face and deck him. In this game I have 8 lands and go off just because I feel like it. I've peeked at his hand before and the only "relevant" cards are mana leak, force spike, and a single counterspell. He lets High Tide resolve and then attempts to double mana leak, force spike my Reset that still had 10 mana floating. Lolz.
Game 2: Wow, relevant stuff galore? God, I beat the everloving shit out of him again.

Top 4
Jesse Hatfield playing Threshold
Game 1: GODDAMMIT. GODDAMMIT. GODDAMMIT. I FUCKING HATE JESSE HATFIELD. Anyway, I get over my intense desire to pull a Jack Elgin at getting paired up with this asshole again, and manage to sit down to play Game 1. Anyway, the game progresses to me being at 4 and him having a tapped Werebear and 5 lands in play. His hand is Force, Counterspell, Pithing Needle and the card he's drawn for his turn. My hand is High Tide, Reset, Turnabout, Meditate, Brain Freeze, and Twincast. I can win. So, I play High Tide. He says it resolves. Now, I have to do the next cards in the right order but I have to think to make sure. So, I play Turnabout. Like most magic players, I like to flick the corners of my cards on important plays and I just lay down Turnabout as I think of the order of the next two cards. I put my finger in the "I'm Thinking" position but Jesse misinterprets it to mean I'm targeting him. Jesse says, "Me?" and I see the judge nod out of the corner of my eye. Before I can say anything, Jesse taps his land and floats mana. I'm fucked now. My finger could be interpreted to meaning I target him. Jesse has given me advance information about what would happen should I target him. I feel railroaded and don't know how to get out of the situation. It's going to look extremely shady if I argue otherwise, and I think that the judge agrees with him. So, with the complete and full knowledge that I cannot win this game anymore, I go ahead and say, "I guess it targets you." Fucking shit. I lose as I know exactly what's about to happen.
Game 2: His draws were pretty poor and mine were pretty solid. I still am really pissed about how he was able to target MY spell, but I am trying to get over it.
Game 3: I again have no outs. What a load of shit. Also, Jesse Hatfield is a big ol' sack of jerkface. That is all.

Anyway, Day 2 was bad times and I drop but have a great time hanging out with Ta Jugs, Eric Darland (Sexy Rector), George Whitaker, and Lee Sears.

Slops
- Calosso for being a douchebag
- Dave Price for being retarded
- Machinus for not knowing that he could've fucked Calosso out of the top 8
- Jesse Hatfield for all of the above reasons
- Camping in the rain
- A poorly planned trip down
- Anusien for playing bad decks and then claiming he sucked was the reason for his poor placement
- Brandon (Parallax) for losing to 43 land. That is quite possibly the awesomeEST bye for Solidarity
- Brandon (Parallax) for losing to Anusien

More Slops (x2)
- Calosso for being a douchebag
- Dave Price for being retarded
- Machinus for not knowing that he could've fucked Calosso out of the top 8
- Jesse Hatfield for all of the above reasons
- Camping in the rain
- A poorly planned trip down
- Anusien for playing bad decks and then claiming he sucked was the reason for his poor placement
- Brandon (Parallax) for losing to 43 land. That is quite possibly the awesomeEST bye for Solidarity
- Brandon (Parallax) for losing to Anusien

Props
- Machinus for his top 2 Split
- Jon (Mr. Nipples) for his top 2 split
- Calosso would never get props from me. He can burn in hell.
- Jesse Hatfield can also burn in hell. However, that's only because he beat me. He's an ok guy when he's not beating me.
- Eric Darland for swearing to never play a Jack Elgin deck again
- Me, for being amazing at magic

On the topic of Calosso.
Calosso is easily one of the worst players I have ever seen play magic. I am truly astounded by the depth and severity of his misplays and yet occassionally, his opponents give him the win anyway. The reasons behind this are truly obscure and I fucking hate him when he brags about his undeserved wins. Dear Jesus, what a fucking douchebag. Also, you never want to meet him. If you think his online persona is irritating, it's even worse in real life. I know that many of you are kind of confused about how vitriolic we are towards him, but after meeting him, I know that at least SOME of you are now aware of how incredibly retarded he is. Seriously, he's fucking retarded.

Whit3 Ghost
10-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I laughed through this report.

You are the most arrogant person I have ever met, but your damn good at it.

AnwarA101
10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I enjoyed this report. I'm still laughing.

emidln
10-10-2006, 05:49 PM
I lol'd. You are perhaps the person I want to play against most, if only so I could get extreme hate in the slops section like Hatfield. I have to make it to an east coast tournament sometime.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Dave Gearhart is so good at Magic!! I wish I was him FYI! I wish I was him.. THIS MUCH!!!!!!!! (arm flails) Anyways, congrats on the super finish on day 1. You did an excellent job respresenting the Mono Blue Unicorn Storm deck. Just remember that I felt bad for you and that's why I lost. Now we are even and at the next tournament we shall settle our grudge match. Word to Dave Gearhart!

P.S.= We never had that meeting with Mr. Tire Iron outside of the restaurant Dave!

Nightmare
10-10-2006, 06:21 PM
It's a good thing for you that I was at a cribbage tournament this weekend. I still almost beat you.

My cribbage report is in the works, watch out.

quicksilver
10-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Just so you know it was Jesse Hatfield's suggestion to go camping, I didn't come up with the idea. And camping was great sunday night when it wasn't raining. I can't control the rain.

Deep6er
10-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Just so you know it was Jesse Hatfield's suggestion to go camping, I didn't come up with the idea. And camping was great sunday night when it wasn't raining. I can't control the rain.

Yes you can you big ol' sack of jerkface. That's why you made it so miserable the night I was there. Jerkface.

quicksilver
10-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Yes you can you big ol' sack of jerkface. That's why you made it so miserable the night I was there. Jerkface.

Oh I can't lie anymore. I did make it rain, just cause I hate you so much gearhart, I was like "What can I do to piss gearhart off; I got it! I'll make it rain on his ass that should really piss him off!"

URABAHN
10-10-2006, 07:20 PM
I love how Anusien told Dave "I'm not bad at Legacy, I'm bad at Magic."

Meatballsinpasta
10-10-2006, 09:04 PM
Umm..

Very cute dude.<4
Nice report. lol

O and the blind predict Paul Lynch did against you.... HAHAHAHAHA (this was day 2 round one) ask about it. Way to funny.

O and sorry bout that Paul has the luck of the Irish on his side.:cool:

Team baltimore!

URABAHN
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Umm..

Very cute dude.<4
Nice report. lol

O and the blind predict Paul Lynch did against you.... HAHAHAHAHA (this was day 2 round one) ask about it. Way to funny.

O and sorry bout that Paul has the luck of the Irish on his side.:cool:

Team baltimore!

Yes, go Team Baltimore! Crabcakes FTW! Bring some next time.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh I can't lie anymore. I did make it rain, just cause I hate you so much gearhart, I was like "What can I do to piss gearhart off; I got it! I'll make it rain on his ass that should really piss him off!"

I won't lie, Dave Price sure knows how to control the flow of liquids! :cool:

Hanni
10-10-2006, 10:41 PM
While shuffling he presents his deck, I cut, and he's just about to draw his hand. Then, he notices that he forgot to shuffle back in a Force, says, "Oh, I forgot to shuffle this back in," and really quickly shuffles it back in and then presents again. That was really shady man. If you hadn't been so incredibly quick to shuffle it back in again, I don't think I would have called the judge so quickly. I've had people do that to me and then argue that they didn't when the judge came over. Nothing personal man, but that was definitely shady.

I don't think you calling a judge over was shady because rules are rules, but how was I being shady? I didn't quick shuffle, I put it on the bottom of my deck AFTER I told you that I had forgotten to put it back in. I'm not upset about you calling a judge but I don't see how in the hell I was being shady.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-10-2006, 10:49 PM
You are the most arrogant person I have ever met, but your damn good at it.

I might actually have to concede this point.

Machinus
10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
Congrats on your performance! Eventually, we will get to play each other...ideally with some duals on the line.

Regarding the top 8 - all I can say is that I was down a game and I couldn't afford to think about anything else. Yes, if I had known I didn't have to risk losing game three, I would have IDed in a second. (So it wouldn't have been to screw over Calosso. He gave me pizza day 1! But I paid him back pretty well day 2.) A very small reminder of the situation would have caused me to consider drawing in between games two and three, but nothing got my attention. Judging from everyone's reaction to Calosso's making the cut (and his incredddible luck in top4), I really think someone could have got my attention easily and without doing anything shady. I was aware of the mood in the tournament center during the top8, and I would have been even more sensitive to information guaranteeing me a spot.

Canook
10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
On the topic of Calosso.
Calosso is easily one of the worst players I have ever seen play magic. I am truly astounded by the depth and severity of his misplays and yet occassionally, his opponents give him the win anyway. The reasons behind this are truly obscure and I fucking hate him when he brags about his undeserved wins. Dear Jesus, what a fucking douchebag. Also, you never want to meet him. If you think his online persona is irritating, it's even worse in real life. I know that many of you are kind of confused about how vitriolic we are towards him, but after meeting him, I know that at least SOME of you are now aware of how incredibly retarded he is. Seriously, he's fucking retarded.

Hmmm, I don't think you've said this to me yet. It's funny. He's retarded. I'll give you my reason for him being retarded later. But, yeah, he's a douche. I give a 10/10 on this last part of the report. It's completely accurate. By the way, I love some of your word choices.

URABAHN
10-11-2006, 08:44 AM
I don't think you calling a judge over was shady because rules are rules, but how was I being shady? I didn't quick shuffle, I put it on the bottom of my deck AFTER I told you that I had forgotten to put it back in. I'm not upset about you calling a judge but I don't see how in the hell I was being shady.

Hanni, I know this was your first tournament, but you've got to careful of accidents like that. As Deep6er said, it was shady because most people would look up and go, "Oh, shit. What do you want to do?" In which case, most people would just tell you to reshuffle. You, on the other hand, tried to just act like it wasn't a big deal, didn't happen, nothing to see here, these are not the cards you're looking for, which was Deep6er's concern because you can easily tell the Judge, "What accident? What card? I don't know what's he's talking about."

Just mind your P's and Q's, y'know?

Anusien
10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
You really should have appealed. Anytime you think a judge ruled incorrectly, you have the right to appeal to the HJ. That's never going to stand up on appeal, and just because he "resolved it" doesn't mean that it forces you into anything.

Meatballsinpasta
10-11-2006, 02:53 PM
Yes, go Team Baltimore! Crabcakes FTW! Bring some next time.

Sure tell me who you are and what event, and i promise ill bring the best crab cakes ever! =]

Ta Jugs
10-11-2006, 03:18 PM
GO GO day two 0-2 drops

M.Maddox
10-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Damn that guy is freaking hilarious. What a badass ;)

Mad Zur
10-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Game 1: Goddammit. I hate Jesse Hatfield. Seriously, I fucking hate Jesse Hatfield. That bastard ALWAYS fucking beats me at the frog. Every goddamn week. Anyway, I win this game. It was pretty savage. His draws were shit.
Game 2: I don't get past 2 mana this game. I remand his turn 4 Werebear, he dazes then replays Tropical Island to play Nimble Mongoose. Fuck you.
I think you have these in the wrong order. My notes have you going 20->13->2->1 in game one and 20->19->18->14 in game two.

Top 4
Jesse Hatfield playing Threshold
Game 1: GODDAMMIT. GODDAMMIT. GODDAMMIT. I FUCKING HATE JESSE HATFIELD. Anyway, I get over my intense desire to pull a Jack Elgin at getting paired up with this asshole again, and manage to sit down to play Game 1. Anyway, the game progresses to me being at 4 and him having a tapped Werebear and 5 lands in play. His hand is Force, Counterspell, Pithing Needle and the card he's drawn for his turn. My hand is High Tide, Reset, Turnabout, Meditate, Brain Freeze, and Twincast. I can win. Not necessarily; you only have one Meditate for draw and the Freeze won't be lethal so there's a decent chance you end up targeting yourself and relying on Flash.

You really should have appealed. Anytime you think a judge ruled incorrectly, you have the right to appeal to the HJ. That's never going to stand up on appeal, and just because he "resolved it" doesn't mean that it forces you into anything.
There was no ruling to appeal. He didn't mention that he hadn't wanted to target me until after the match.

Anusien
10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Well yeah, I totally would have said, "Judge! I'm not trying to target my opponent with this." and then if Klep says that he is, then appeal. I would have never continued with that faulty game state.

Deep6er
10-11-2006, 04:59 PM
I think you have these in the wrong order. My notes have you going 20->13->2->1 in game one and 20->19->18->14 in game two.
Not necessarily; you only have one Meditate for draw and the Freeze won't be lethal so there's a decent chance you end up targeting yourself and relying on Flash.

I don't think so. From our playing each other, I'm reasonably certain that you WERE going to counter the Turnabout as I had only 4 mana floating. I can't do my nifty stack tricks without enough mana, and I would have had more cards and mana than you had counters if that had resolved. I vaguely remember discussing what you counter in a variety of situations and I'm pretty sure this was one of them. As I knew your hand, and was close to death, you knew that I had to go off soon. Therefore, I made what I believe was an informed decision based on the information that I had from our playtesting experiences. I don't think I was wrong, and will maintain that position.

@ Anusien
No, you don't understand. That's one of the shadiest things you can do. If you call a judge on something like that, the judge can easily interpret you for trying to gain additional information as to what WOULD have happened had something gone differently. As you are NOT allowed to do that, it could be construed as intentional misrepresentation and punishable as such. Jesse's position was mostly defensible and my position was highly dubious as I was the one who was DEFINITELY losing. Information like that is highly valuable and it could have been miscontrued easily. In the interests of not having to deal with being called a cheater, I decided to just take my lumps and learn from my mistake. Interestingly enough, the next day, I did the same thing to Anwar. I realized how my mistake was so easily misinterpreted when I looked at it from Anwar's point of view and decided (from now on) to actually say the person's name when targeting Turnabout.

kirdape3
10-11-2006, 05:19 PM
You know, from what I'm looking at you ended up with a tournament that looked like this:

Mirror
Bye
horrible matchup which you lose
Bye
average matchup where you win
Bye because your opponent kept a godawful hand twice
Bye

Bye
horrible matchup which you lose

I mean, congratulations on Top 4ing the event - that's not awful - but if your opponents are too stupid to play decks that autolose to one of the three most popular decks in the format and that don't literally roll the other two 100% of the time, then I fail to see how you couldn't have done well so long as you weren't a total buffoon.

Seriously people, stop playing 'pet' decks if you want to win one of these things. If your pet deck happens to not have any glaringly bad matchups that people are liable to play (I mostly play U/W Fish in Vintage. It can't handle the Survival/Workshop aggro deck from 3 years ago. Nobody plays it though, so I don't worry), then fine, but if you're going to play most of Jack Elgin's decks or the 43 land deck then you have to expect to get rolled by combo.

URABAHN
10-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't think so. From our playing each other, I'm reasonably certain that you WERE going to counter the Turnabout as I had only 4 mana floating. I can't do my nifty stack tricks without enough mana, and I would have had more cards and mana than you had counters if that had resolved. I vaguely remember discussing what you counter in a variety of situations and I'm pretty sure this was one of them. As I knew your hand, and was close to death, you knew that I had to go off soon. Therefore, I made what I believe was an informed decision based on the information that I had from our playtesting experiences. I don't think I was wrong, and will maintain that position.

You swore up and down until you were blue in the face that you knew every single card in Jesse's hand. Now, in your tournament report, you said you didn't know the last card. Which is it? I seem to remember you talking about not dwelling in past, either, using Regionals as a lesson to that effect.

NoGameShow
10-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Wow you sure are cocky for this being your first top 8 showing in quite some time.

herbig
10-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow you sure are cocky for this being your first top 8 showing in quite some time.
As opposed to the 95% of posters who have never top 8ed a tournament even once. But yeah, cocky nonetheless.

Good job and good to see you disprove the myth yet again.

Anusien
10-11-2006, 11:45 PM
No, you don't understand. That's one of the shadiest things you can do. If you call a judge on something like that, the judge can easily interpret you for trying to gain additional information as to what WOULD have happened had something gone differently. As you are NOT allowed to do that, it could be construed as intentional misrepresentation and punishable as such. Jesse's position was mostly defensible and my position was highly dubious as I was the one who was DEFINITELY losing. Information like that is highly valuable and it could have been miscontrued easily. In the interests of not having to deal with being called a cheater, I decided to just take my lumps and learn from my mistake. Interestingly enough, the next day, I did the same thing to Anwar. I realized how my mistake was so easily misinterpreted when I looked at it from Anwar's point of view and decided (from now on) to actually say the person's name when targeting Turnabout.
It's only shady if you were actually targeting your opponent. At any rate, even if they do railroad you into targeting him, you still have the choice of what taps or untaps, so there's no way Jesse gets to untap his lands.
That's all sort of an aside. The main point I'm trying to establish is that your opponent doesn't ever get to magically hijack your spells. If you're intending to target yourself or you haven't announced targets and your opponent thinks you're targetting him, you have an obligation to inform them of the correct game state. Otherwise you're letting your opponent target your spells for you. Part of the thing you have going for you is that you always seem to declare everything (although you're saying now that you're less clear about your turnabouts); you even announce "Draw for <cantrip>?" so there's no way you're going to get penalized for that.
Also, at a certain point it becomes ruling by intent. If you say "Turnabout untapping lands" and your opponent acts like it's targetting him; well the intent of the spell is clearly to increase your mana count, and that's going to rule in your favor every time.

The real moral of the story is that you assumed the judge was making a ruling when they weren't. If you had said something like, "Wait, I meant to target myself" even if the FJ rules against you, you at least have the option of appealing.

I was actually asking this as a judging philosophy question on #mtgjudge, and the floor judge was there and responded:

he played the turnabout and I have absolutely no idea if he named a target right away
because I think I was checking the storm count or something
if immediately after the turnabout resolved he said "no, I target myself" or something like that..
then maybe I would have made a ruling
and then maybe he'd have something to appeal
but it never even came to that
they never had any kind of dispute
between the two of them they determined who was targeting whom
I was never consulted
I don't know where here's getting the fact that I was nodding to confirm it

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Yeah, you just completely thought yourself into a circle with that one; if you had just said, "No, targeting myself" the intent would've been clear and 90% odds you would've been fine. Whether or not the judge thought you were shady isn't that relevant; you don't care if he invites you to his birthday party and he's not going to DQ you over it. Working it up into a giant play mistake that you can draw a venn diagram analyzing for four hours and going through replays seems rather melodramatic, but hey, some people like Dual lands and some don't. I'm not going to judge you for your decisions.

Also, "I'm floating mana in response to your turnabouting me" is revealing information only in the sense that my telling you that setting yourself on fire will cause you pain is revealing new information.

This is why you can never be a sith. You're too weak.

jodawe
10-13-2006, 02:02 PM
This is very confusing to me. I’ve been playing Solidarity ever since I saw you play it at Gencon 2 years ago. You seemed like you knew what you were doing.

To me, playing Turnabout before a reset during early combo stages makes absolutely no sense. You said yourself you can’t do nifty stack tricks without enough mana. Why waste two of it when you have a spell that would give you the same effect? Waiting to combo after the Wearbear attacks is also confusing. You lose the ability to tap the bear in case you can’t find a way to make your opponent draw a card.

Ewokslayer
10-13-2006, 02:17 PM
This is very confusing to me. I’ve been playing Solidarity ever since I saw you play it at Gencon 2 years ago. You seemed like you knew what you were doing.

To me, playing Turnabout before a reset during early combo stages makes absolutely no sense. You said yourself you can’t do nifty stack tricks without enough mana. Why waste two of it when you have a spell that would give you the same effect? Waiting to combo after the Wearbear attacks is also confusing. You lose the ability to tap the bear in case you can’t find a way to make your opponent draw a card.
I don't think he included enough information to throughly dissect the plays, but we can certainly try;

Anyway, the game progresses to me being at 4 and him having a tapped Werebear and 5 lands in play. His hand is Force, Counterspell, Pithing Needle and the card he's drawn for his turn. My hand is High Tide, Reset, Turnabout, Meditate, Brain Freeze, and Twincast. I can win. So, I play High Tide. He says it resolves. Now, I have to do the next cards in the right order but I have to think to make sure.
I don't think so. From our playing each other, I'm reasonably certain that you WERE going to counter the Turnabout as I had only 4 mana floating.
So as for the Werebear being tapped it sounds like it is after damage and he was put at 4 for the last attack. If that is the case we can ask why he didn't try to go off in the second mainphase, in which case the mana floating could be removed by going to the end phase and leaving Jesse with only 1 Force for counters. (As an aside, you really screwed yourself up from the sounds of it Gearhart. I assume you tapped all your lands before you played Turnabout, that in itself could be used as an arguement that you were going to be targeting yourself.)
I think in this situation he might have been trying to indicate that he was going to be slightly mana light thus getting Jesse to try to counter the untap effect which he could power through and get the meditate to resolve.
Sample set of spells
Tide, Turnabout (targeting me), Counter, Twincast Turnabout, Force, Reset, Meditate, Win (Hopefully)
Though with this set of spells if the unknown is Daze or Counterspell, Gearhart losses.
If he leds with Reset it is possible that there would be too much mana in his pool to real make countering it worthwhile from the Threshold perspective.
Sample set of spells
Tide, Reset, Meditate, Counter, Twincast Meditate, Force, Turnabout, Brain Freeze your self (Storm = 7), Hope 24 cards down there is a Flash to win.
In this case Daze is unless and possibly Counterspell if the Freeze hits both Flashs. If this was a sideboarded game Stifle would also be an issue to this plan.

quicksilver
10-13-2006, 02:22 PM

He was going to be playing both the reset and the turnabout right then (he knew one would get countered), and since they do the same thing and combined cost the same amount of mana, it didn't really matter which order he played it in. Also he did it EOT, which means that he didn't need to tap attackers that turn since his oponent would die next upkeep before his next attack phase. The werebear swining that turn wasn't lethal that turn, and you only care about damage if it is lethal.

JZ23
10-14-2006, 04:03 AM
I don't think so. From our playing each other, I'm reasonably certain that you WERE going to counter the Turnabout as I had only 4 mana floating. I can't do my nifty stack tricks without enough mana,

Why the hell would you counter Turnabout but let High Tide resolve with only five islands??

Turnabout targeting him might be the right play here as long as it was his main phase. If he floats, go to end phase and win.

I can't believe you probably threw that game away by "acting shady" while to me it seems like your opponent was the shady one.

Ewokslayer
10-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Why the hell would you counter Turnabout but let High Tide resolve with only five islands??
By the Gro player letting High Tide Resolve he is turning on more counters by being able to cast both Force and Counterspell; plus Counterspell # 2 if that is the unknown card.
From the hand as it is I would guess that the unknown card was either a counterspell or not a blue card. Otherwise the Gro player would have probably found over the High Tide.