PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Charbelcher slight success day 1 of d4d

Sugar Woof
10-10-2006, 05:56 PM
On day one of dual for duals I decided to take a chance and run goblin charbelcher combo. I'm not writing this report because of a stellar performance or a top 8 with the deck, but to show that charbelcher isn't necessarily dead in the format. I believe that with some more work and testing that charbelcher can become a more viable deck in legacy.

The list I ran

4-Goblin Charbelcher
4-Elvish Spirit Guide
3-Goblin Welder
2-Living Wish
4-Dark Ritual
4-Cabal Ritual
4-Land Grant
4-Brainstorm
4-Lotus Petal
4-Chrome Mox
4-Lion's Eye Diamond
4-Chromatic Sphere
4-Duress
4-Spoils of the Vault
4-Tinder Wall
1-Gamble
1-Taiga
1-Bayou

sb:
4-Xantid Swarm
1-City of Brass
1-Goblin Welder
1-Uktabi Orangutang(sorry if spelled wrong)
4-Dark Confidant
4-Oxidize

Round 1: Angel Stompy 2-1
Game 1: I win the roll and proceed to combo on turn 2 before angel stompy can get going.

Game 2: AS plays a face down angel on t1 and passes, I crack lotus petal for a brainstorm to see 3 duress come off the top and proceed to get beatdown by an Exalted Angel.

G3: I go with t1 Confidant and AS stalls on land and I combo on t4 to win.

1-0

Round 2: U/G/W Thresh(Alix Hatfield I believe) 0-2

game 1: He cantrips a lot and goes to my dome with a goose and some bears with counter backup.

Game 2: Goes about the same as g1
after the match he asks what I was running and I tell him, he responds with he thought I was running Tendrils Combo...a little insight to my draws.

1-1

Round 3: Duck Hunt(Canook I believe) 2-0

g1: It goes to turn 3 and he can't stop the activation on upkeep.

g2: He stalls on land and I go with Confidant on turn 1 to deal 8 or so points of dmg to him. He kills Bob, I cast another next turn and go for the win with Dark confidant in a few more turns. Usually Confidant shouldn't deal that many points of dmg in a match with this deck.

2-1

Round 4: Iggy Pop 2-0

Game 1: This game was drawn out unusual like for these two decks, both slow starts. He IGG's 4 cards out of my hand with Leyline in play on about turn 6, it goes a few more turns and I combo to win the game.

Game 2: He casts Flooded Strand on turn 1. I combo for the win on turn 1, got the lucky hand.

3-1

Round 5: Survival Advantage(David Price) 2-1
(if my memory serves correct not sure on this match)
Game 1: He rips a some cards out of my hand with therapie but I'm able to build up enough cards to combo in later turns of the game.

Game 2: He cast therapy and calls Land Grant and totally decimates me this game, rips to Grants out of my hand and proceeds to demolish my resources and we go to game 3

Game 3: He falters on land a little bit and casts some therapies to rip out my belcher, I untap and draw a dark confidant. I go to cast confidant and crack a sphere for U incase of the draw of brainstorm and rip a Belcher off the top and combo for the win.

4-1

Round 6: U/G/W Thresh(Kabal) 0-2

I get paired down this round

Game 1: I set down and proceed to ask if my opponent will concede considering he has no shot at top8 and one win and I'm in, he refuses my proposal and we play. The game goes a lil slow and he deals 1 point with a goose and I try to combo next turn. It went like this, ritual+ritual+diamond+diamond+spoils....spoils deals me 19 with everything to win on board and we go to game two.

Game 2: I go off turn two and flip ten cards, only thing I needed not hit was bayou and I hit it for 13 points of dmg. He untaps and nats my belcher and I get beat by a few creatures.

4-2 and I drop feeling somewhat upset with my day

All in all Belcher put up fair numbers, not nearly the numbers needed to be considered a major competitor in the format. But possibly a fair showing to maybe encourage more testing of the deck. Like I said before this wasn't a stellar performance but a decent one.

Thank you for your time
big Sug Woof....

quicksilver
10-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Game 3: He falters on land a little bit and casts some therapies to rip out my belcher, I untap and draw a dark confidant. I go to cast confidant and crack a sphere for U incase of the draw of brainstorm and rip a Belcher off the top and combo for the win.

I faltered on land mainly due to the fact that I never got a second turn. I cast first turn duress taking out belcher and leaving you with nothing but mana. You top deck belcher and win the next turn. A shame too cause my hand was quite good with second turn mesmeric fiend and third turn survival.

Sugar Woof
10-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh ok, sorry for getting that one wrong, my memory of that day is a bit faulty. I just thought the game went a few more turns than that but I guess not

ShaheenSoorani
10-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Yea go charbelcher!! That's almost as good as the Aluren deck I played day one..........uck.

Sugar Woof
10-11-2006, 01:15 PM
You suck shaheen, you and your u/w control!! Meh, I can't really say anything I did run Charbelcher day 1. *shrugs*