PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Sea Stompy - Yet another Ancient Tomb-based metagame deck

Citrus-God
10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
This has been some hot topic for team IcBE for awhile... err... more like pet project. This deck is specifically designed to take down Combo and Aggro-Control heavy metagames. Fixing up the maindeck to take down Aggro is also quite a strong option.

At heart, this deck is either a Midgame deck or a Aggro-Control deck. This deck currently has two forms. UG which is designed for the Combo and Aggro Control heavy metagame, and UGr which is for more of a Midgame, Aggro, and/or Aggro-Control metagame.

History: Sea Stompy was always my favorite Type 2 deck, but these two decks are completely different. This deck was in fact inspired when Dissension was released. Trygon Predator is my favorite creature from the set. I never really thought of using this card until Wastedlife tested it against me on MWS. Then, I realized that the card is busted. It takes down Needles, and opposing Equipment. I started testing a homebrew of mine a while later, it was decent, but I would rather play Faerie Stompy rather than this deck. Later, I played T2 and Plaxmanta was the card I adored. Sure, I sided the card out constantly versus Combo, but it does so much against Control and Aggro decks. I splashed Red later for MDed Clasms' and FtK, which was exactly what this deck was missing, and it could easily be played around Chalice.

// Mana 22
4 Chrome Mox
3 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Flooded Strand
1 Tundra
4 Tropical Island
1 Tree of Tales
1 Seat of the Synod

// Creatures 21
3 Plaxmanta
3 Trinket Mage
3 Trygon Predator
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Sea Drake
4 Silhana Ledgewalker

// Spells 18
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Force of Will
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle

// Sideboard 15
4 Trickbind
3 Misdirection
4 Krosan Grip
1 Plaxmanta
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle
1 Enigneered Explosives

This plays a lot like Faerie Stompy, but with Creature protection, as this deck is very vaunerable to Swords if Chalice doesnt resolve. Ledgewalkers are better than Faeries, because they cant be taken down if they're equiped, and if Ledgewalkers was a person, I'd tap that gal 90 Degrees. Plaxmantas are life savers, but in a meta full of Thresh or Combo, they can easily be Thirst for Knowledge/Fact or Fiction. EE is so much better since it's 2.1 cc (3rd color being something for the sake of EE). I took down Angel Stompy and the mirror with EE.

Here is the current build which is probably not considered to be our most optimal build at the moment.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)
// Lands
4 [EX] City of Traitors
4 [TE] Ancient Tomb
4 [TSP] Gemstone Mine
2 [BOK] Tendo Ice Bridge
4 [6E] City of Brass
// Creatures
4 [DIS] Plaxmanta
4 [R] Serendib Efreet
4 [P2] Sea Drake
2 [CS] Jotun Grunt
3 [PS] Flametongue Kavu
3 [DIS] Trygon Predator
// Spells
4 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
4 [AL] Force of Will
4 [MR] Chalice of the Void
3 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
3 [MR] Chrome Mox
3 [MR] Thirst for Knowledge
2 [IN] Fact or Fiction
// Sideboard
SB: 4 [DS] Trinisphere
SB: 3 [MM] Misdirection
SB: 4 [6E] Perish
SB: 4 [OV] Pyroclasm

Alone, after some disagreement from my teammate Alec, rediculed me on playing with a 5c manabase. A couple days later, I tinkered with the idea and liked it. To make things worse, I took the idea, and abused with to the fullest with the help of Wastedlife during a conversation on AIM. With the new manabase, me and Wastedlife decided on the build, and now, it's fast enough to race and answer aggro, and still beat Combo. The only thing that should be left is the mulliganing decision of this deck. This deck has became more fierce then against Combo and Aggro. I look forward to this deck becoming a very known and popular variant of Faerie Stompy.

Vimes
10-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Shouldn't Birds of Paradise be in the first deck? Sure, it might be dead if you have a Chalice for one out, but it's simply the nature of mana sources to become dead draws. And if you play it early game, it isn't going to die on you like City of Traitors.

I'd also consider Spiketail Drakeling in the place of Plaxmanta. Although less powerful, it's more versatile and doesn't require mana kept up. This deck looks so awesome :)

Citrus-God
10-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Thank you for the praise.

Actually we were thinking of cutting Chrome Moxes for Birds of Paradise. I have already. I agreed with you, since Birds are going to have the same effect if Chalice is around for zero. But the fact we have Sea Drake has already made us feel like forgeting about Birds of Paradise. But however, Drakeling does seem like a solid replacement for Plaxmanta.

Vimes
10-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Thank you for the praise.

Actually we were thinking of cutting Chrome Moxes for Birds of Paradise. I have already. I agreed with you, since Birds are going to have the same effect if Chalice is around for zero. But the fact we have Sea Drake has already made us feel like forgeting about Birds of Paradise. But however, Drakeling does seem like a solid replacement for Plaxmanta.

So... is Birds of Paradise good or bad for you? Couldn't quite understand you there.

I actually wonder if you really want those Cities of Traitors. This is a lot like Faerie Stompy, but a key difference is the three colors. Actually, I have to wonder if this deck is really any better than Faerie Stompy. You say that the card that made you pick the deck back up again was Plaxmanta. If you're not running Plaxmanta any more, you have a less consistent manabase and you still aren't running Trinket Mage to maximize the power of the Chalices...

Basically, there isn't enough room in a deck for every good card, and I'm wondering if the inconsistency is worth it, as a good deal of your cards are exactly the same and you're not even playing all of the good cards from Faerie Stompy (Trinket Mage).

Citrus-God
10-17-2006, 07:34 PM
At heart, this is more of a midgame deck. I cant really race aggro. In a deck like this, you play it more like Angel Stompy. I only use the Chalices to cut like Swords to Plowshares and High Tides from my opponent's deck.

In the first list, I might take out City of Traitors, a FoF, and a Chrome Mox for Birds of Paradise, because Birds is a creature. Creatures get quite the benefit from SoFI.

I also started playing a UG version of this deck more extensively, just because results are better here.

// Mana 21
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
2 Island

// Creatures 22
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Troll Ascetic
3 Plaxmanta
4 Spiketail Drakeling
3 Trygon Predator

// Spells 18
4 Force of Will
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Chalice of the Void
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Sword of Fire and Ice

// Sideboard 15
3 Naturalize
3 Hail Storm
3 Spell Snare
3 Pithing Needle
3 Eternal Witness

I think this is the best version of this deck at the moment.

lukatron2
11-30-2006, 09:41 PM
anti~american - I really like the last list that you posted. this is my own list that I built but havent got much time to test it yet. we could probably combine the two to make a pretty sweet deck. this one plays more like zilla stompy and less like farie stompy...tell me what you think...

land 20

4 tropical island
5 island
7 forest
1 wooded foothills
1 windsweapt heath
1 flooded strand
1 poluted delta
4 chrome mox

4 serendib efreet
4 troll ascetic
4 trygon preditor
4 jugle lion
4 birds of paradise
4 sword of fire and ice
4 psionic blast
4 force of will
4 daze

i'd like to/think I might need to make room for brainstorm somewhere.also, rancor would be nice.i'm not so sure about daze but testing will tell. plaxmanta should also be in here somewhere but this is just a quick post.

card explanations:

psionic blast - really good removal for those bigger guys that sofi can't deal with (wearbear,myr enforcer, ect) gets around pro red and otherwise is extra burn to the dome.

jungle lion - could be flying men/cloud pirates/scrub sprites/skyshroud elite/skyshroud ridgback.. but the 2 power is pretty sweet. basically its in there as an early one drop that can play an aggro roll untill you get the bigger guys out.

sword of fire/ice - could be jitte, but its nice cause you can strap him on the birds and have a 2/3 flying beatstick weras jitte would be useless with bop

daze - i'm still not entirely sure about daze due to the fact that it could make you loose tempo and the deck has no 2 drops

troll - he wins games

serendib - see above

trygon preditor - badass against challice/equiptment/affinity/vial/deed....etc

birds - early mana accel/sofi targets...they all help out in the overall game-strategy.

why no sea drake? he KILLS the temp of this deck and theres really no room for him. I also thought about including ancient tomb/city of traitors but decided that although they are good with serendib/sofi, they wouldn't be good with troll/trygon preditor and there are other ways to accel mana early game...

Citrus-God
12-01-2006, 12:05 AM
Daze wasnt meant to be answering first turn threats, but rather protecting your Turn 2 drop. If your going to run SoFI, run Jittes. I revamped my build, and it's been doing very well. I wanted more evasion, and I didnt want to be reliant on Chalice...

// Mana 22
4 Chrome Mox
4 City of Traitors
4 Ancient Tomb
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tropical Island
1 Tree of Tales
1 Seat of the Synod

// Creatures 21
3 Plaxmanta
3 Trinket Mage
3 Trygon Predator
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Sea Drake
4 Silhana Ledgewalker

// Spells 18
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Force of Will
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle

// Sideboard 15
4 Trickbind
3 Misdirection
4 Krosan Grip
1 Plaxmanta
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle
1 Enigneered Explosives

Yes, it's Sea Stompy with better creatures, and more evasion. Ledgewalkers are insane! They cant be targeted, and they are deadly with any equipment at all. Plaxmantas are still cool, and they win me games. Sometimes Sea Drakes die, and Gempalm Incenerators go insane; make Plaxmanta happy in an aggro/midgame meta, as Chalice cant do everything, and I doubt you want to rely on it so much.

lukatron2
12-06-2006, 03:06 PM
sweet! someone made a thread for pretty much this EXACT same deck called UG stompy! lol

Mirrislegend
12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
@lukatron2: They're not the same deck by far. This one plays like Faerie Stompy in all aspects, including counterspells and toolbox artifacts, whereas the UG Stompy thread is only beatdown.

Concerning the deck:
-I'm glad to see Troll Ascetic cut for Ledgewalker, as the UG in Trygon and GG in Ascetic surely were taking their tolls on your win percentage, given you are running the full blown 8x 2-colorless producers.
-I'm wondering how much you miss the draw from previous builds. I was thinking maybe even just -1 Chalice (you have 3 tutors for it, so 3 should be plenty), -1 EE (how much do you really even use it?) for 2 Brainstorms. Just SOMETHING to help smooth out your draws a little.

And in comparison to the other UG Stompy deck, I see this one succeeding much more, just fyi. Keep up the good work

Citrus-God
12-06-2006, 05:54 PM
@lukatron2: They're not the same deck by far. This one plays like Faerie Stompy in all aspects, including counterspells and toolbox artifacts, whereas the UG Stompy thread is only beatdown.

Concerning the deck:
-I'm glad to see Troll Ascetic cut for Ledgewalker, as the UG in Trygon and GG in Ascetic surely were taking their tolls on your win percentage, given you are running the full blown 8x 2-colorless producers.
-I'm wondering how much you miss the draw from previous builds. I was thinking maybe even just -1 Chalice (you have 3 tutors for it, so 3 should be plenty), -1 EE (how much do you really even use it?) for 2 Brainstorms. Just SOMETHING to help smooth out your draws a little.

And in comparison to the other UG Stompy deck, I see this one succeeding much more, just fyi. Keep up the good work

I love Ledgewalker. She wins so many games, and in a deck like this, she would be the reason why it's here.

The draw, I never liked too much in Faerie Stompy. I quickly replaced them with Plaxmantas. I think the best way to play against Thresh is by slow play, while versus decks like Rifter, you go turbo aggro. Faerie Stompy can win on turn 4 with FoW protection, but since this deck is more verstile, it wins a turn later, probably around Turn 4-5 at most. For draw, I might shoved Ohran Viper in, or even Theiving Magpie. FoF looks nice.

I still have Trygon Predator. They are the most amazing thing to pitch to Chrome Mox, and face the pseaudo mirror. With so much cover backed up on him, he is so untouched but Jitte, Parallax Wave, Swords, and double SoFI. Plaxmantas are amazing.

The EEs were amazing. In testing, my partner got 2 Werebears w/ Thresh after me while I have a Sea Drake and a Chalice at 1 and topdecking, and in that game, I mulled down to 4. I topdecked a Trinket Mage, and it fetched a beautiful EE. I blew the Bears up, attacked my opponent with my Sea Drake and my opponent couldn't do anything about it. I can also see this card busted in the mirror and Angel Stompy, seeing as this deck is 2 colors.

Thanks for the compliments. I see this as a spin-off of Faerie Stompy, as this deck can function fine if Chalice doesnt resolve or I cant get it. Another thing I would like to add is the fact I sacrificed speed for verstiity. I tried a beatdown version, and I didnt really like it. Also, I should try out Brainstorms, as this deck does have mana problems.

insertnamehere
12-06-2006, 11:51 PM
How come there is no draw mechanic in here except for SoFi. Is there room for A.K.,Brainstorm or tops. Also, what about running Mox Diamonds over or with Chromes.

Citrus-God
12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
When you run Chrome Mox, you need at least 24 Lands to support it. Chrome Mox has been very good for me so far. I like the idea od running a random Top, but I dont think I really need it, but I'll try. I'm still debating on Brainstorms.

Anarky87
12-07-2006, 12:58 AM
If you're using Chalice as a weapon against StP and High Tide, therefore killing the 1cc slot, doesn't that kind of have savage negativity with Brainstorm, Top, and the like? You could always run something like TfK or Compulsive Research I guess.

Jankwolf
12-07-2006, 01:25 AM
Have you thought of useing coiling oracle? If the card is revealed and its a land it goes directly into play...which speeds up tempo...If its not a land its a card that goes into your hand...i see it as a good card early game...but if you like it what would you replace for it?

Jankwolf
12-07-2006, 01:27 AM
When you run Chrome Mox, you need at least 24 Lands to support it. Chrome Mox has been very good for me so far. I like the idea od running a random Top, but I dont think I really need it, but I'll try. I'm still debating on Brainstorms.

Dont you mean mox diamond?
Cause the last time i checked lands do almost nothing for chrome mox...

Citrus-God
12-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Dont you mean mox diamond?
Cause the last time i checked lands do almost nothing for chrome mox...

haha. I meant Mox Diamond.

Anyways, I dont like Coiling Oracle very much. The card quality the card brings is random, the tempo boost doesnt matter much to me, and the stats are pretty weak.

Citrus-God
12-10-2006, 11:20 PM
I was testing Luke's Sea Stompy. It ended up turning into UG Zilla Stompy...

// Mana 23
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
3 Breeding Pool
2 Island
2 Forest

// Creatures 16
4 Plaxmanta
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Trygon Predator
4 Serendib Efreet

// Spells 22
4 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Force of Will
4 Rancor
4 Psionic Blast
3 Daze

// Sideboard 15
3 Spell Snare
3 Chalice of the Void
3 Loaming Shaman
3 Hail Storm
3 Stifle

Zilla
12-10-2006, 11:44 PM
7 Equipment and 4 Auras seems like a mistake with only 16 creatures. How often are you finding yourself with more creature enhancers than actual creatures?

And although this totally contradicts the last statement, I sure would like to see Curiosity in that list. Seems really really good with Troll and Efreet.

Citrus-God
12-11-2006, 10:14 AM
7 Equipment and 4 Auras seems like a mistake with only 16 creatures. How often are you finding yourself with more creature enhancers than actual creatures?

And although this totally contradicts the last statement, I sure would like to see Curiosity in that list. Seems really really good with Troll and Efreet.

Tecnically I have 24 Creatures if you include Birds of Paradise and ESG. I dont equip ESG often as I blow them for 3 drops. I always shove a SoFI and a Jitte on BoP, but honestly, they still dont last that long. My lastest list, I took 3 Daze and 1 Psionic Blast for 4 Legdewalkers due to my big equipment count.

I will try out Curiosity since I have Trygon Predator, Efreet, Ledgewalker, and BoP as evasive beaters.

xsockmonkeyx
12-11-2006, 11:19 AM
How about more of a beatdown approach to the UG zilla stompy? Skyfolk would be a slight upgrade over trygon predator if all you wanted to do is smash face.

2 Wooded Foothills
1 Windswept Heath
2 Flooded Strand
1 Polluted Delta
4 Tropical Island
1 Breeding Pool
2 Island
3 Forest

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Elvish Spirit Guide

4 Flying Men
4 Troll/Drake
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Serendib Efreet

4 Rancor
3 Unstable Mutation (questionable, but makes birds into a threat!)
3 Jitte

4 Force of Will
2 Psionic Blast
4 Brainstorm

Citrus-God
12-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Gaea's Skyfolk works, but what I like about Trygon Predator is that it can easily hit the mirror, opposing equipment, Cranial Platings, and lock components. I cant ever imagine taking these guys out, as they won me a ton of games against a lot of decks.

I'll try out Unstable Mutation though.

lukatron2
12-11-2006, 08:08 PM

I like the idea of curiosity via non targetable creatures (silhana ledgewalker, troll ascetic) then they can't bolt/swords your dude in response to a curiosity. wow, that just made me think of making like a u/g type of fish with standstill and mishra's factory. maybe i'll post a different deck in the development forum.

@xsockmonkeyx, Gaea's skyfolk is pretty cheap/good but trygon preditor is a house/staple in this deck because of his utility. He can steal games and helps your match-ups against angel stompy, farie stompy, affinity etc I don't think he can be cut, period.

Citrus-God
12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Ohhh! I love Worse than Fish! I love playing that deck in T1. It might work in 1.5, but Goblins is rampant. I would like to see that deck updated at the current moment.

Citrus-God
12-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Testing the new Sea Stompy on Saturday... I love it. I went for 5c Bitches!

// Mana 21
4 Chrome Mox
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 City of Brass
4 Gemstone Mine
1 Seat of Synod

// Creatures 19
4 Sea Drake
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
3 Trinket Mage
4 Plaxmanta

// Spells 21
4 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Umezawa's Jitte
4 Chalice of the Void
4 Force of Will
3 Thirst for Knowledge
1 Pithing Needle
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt

// Sideboard 15
4 Pyroclasm
1 Engineered Explosives
1 Tormod's Crypt
1 Pithing Needle
3 Jotun Grunt
3 Flametongue Kavu
2 Armageddon

Yes, it's 5c now. I cut Trygon Predator from the list because of EE. My Insane Sideboard is insane. I have Clasms, FtK, Grunts, and Geddon'. I love the 5c goodness.

lukatron2
12-25-2006, 03:35 PM
congradulations, you just build farie stompy with a weaker mana base and 4 green cards!..lol...just kidding...but serously though, if you only have ledgewalker for green, why even run green. and alghough the sb does look sweet, is it really worth opening you up to wasteland more just for the sb? I do agree that ee is saweeet here though! with the 5c, but really I think that your old builds are much better/make more sense...
on a side note, if you are running trinket mage/challice AND ledgewalker, plaxmanta is completely unneccisary. If you challice for 1, you take care of swords/bolt...plus, you're never going to have the 2 mana open to cast it...what else are you scared of?

Citrus-God
12-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Ledgewalker and Plaxmanta are Green. I like the new build right now actually. My SB is flexible, and my Maindeck is killer. When it was UG, it was just 4 Fetches and 4 Trops. I was still skepticle to Wasteland. And yes, my whole point in running Green is Ledgewalker and Plaxmanta...

Heres the thing about me running Green in the 1st place... what if Chalice doesnt resolve? My big beatsticks are still skepticle to removal, why not protect them? Plus, Ledgewalker is hawt.

Citrus-God
12-26-2006, 11:19 PM
Yeah... guess what? I updated the first page!

Troll_ov_Grimness
06-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Yeah... guess what? I updated the first page!

4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
7 Island
1 Tolaria
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Oboro, Palace In The Clouds
4 Chrome Mox

4 Chalice of the Void
3 Trinisphere
8 Counterspells ????
2 Psionic Blast

1 Shoreline Ranger
4 Illusory Angel
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Serendib Djinn
3 Mulldrifter
3 Trinket Mage

1 Sigil of Distinction
1 Pithing Needle

// Playing Tolaria, Minamo, and Oboro make it so that when I play Serendib Djinn I may never have to sacrifice an island. I still have to sacrifice lands but if it is not an Island I am dealt no damage from my Serendib. And a 5/6 body closes the game fast enough

Foil : costs 4 instead of 5 for Force of Will. Can be played through a Trinisphere hardcasted at a mana less.

Force of Will: Bad with Trinisphere.. would need 5 mana to hardcast it

Arcane Denial : Draws me a card. My deck is faster than my opponent's... the draw 2 cards off of me doesn't matter much if they little they can do

Counterspell : Solid. Doesn't draw me any cards.