PDA

View Full Version : [Report] UGw Threshold "Is that Mental Note?"

fear_these
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I was waiting for this day agian, the day I top 8 the Duel 4 Duals. But this time I was way more confidant in my performance and my deck choice. I was playing UGw Threshold. I picked up this deck Friday and played it against Goblins and Solidarity and I was comfortable with playing this deck. I stop playing Goblins because I was tired of being defeated by random hate like main deck Worship in Threshold and Chill in the board of another Threshold deck. Here is the list that I picked up and played.

4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Werebear
3 Meddling Mage
1 Mystic Enforcer
4 Force of Will
4 Perdict
4 Brainstorm
4 Sword to Plowshares
3 Coutnerspell
3 Daze
3 Serum Visions
3 Mental Note
3 Pithing Needle
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
4 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
1 Island

Sideboard
4 Disrupt
4 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Armageddon
1 Disenchant
1 Naturalize
1 Meddling Mage
1 Mystic Enforcer

Some people between rounds was wondering why I ran Mental Note and how good was it. In my experince it was very good. I got Threshold very quickly and being very aggresive with my early drop Nimble Mongoose and Werebear. In a couple of instances I stacked lands and dead cards on top of my library with Brainstorm and Serum Visions and then milled them. I like the deck and felt like I could play it well because I like playing Aggro-Control and I tested and top 8 an Extended PTQ with U/R Fish. Here is my tournament report. Sorry if you don't find this report detail very well. We left Hampton Roads around 2:30 am and arrived in Roanoke at 6. So I didn't get any sleep and I really don't remember how I won a lot besides drawing insanly aginst Goblins.

Round 1: Solidarity - Jesse Krieger
Game 1 he mulliganed down to 4 so I won that game. He mulliganed to 6 game 2 and I was able to counter early Impulses.
1-0

Round 2: RW Goblins - Chris Coppola
Like I said before I really don't remember a lot of this match. Game 1 I never go below 12 life and and his life goes down by 3 until I swords something and a Werebear finished him off. I remeber game 2 was close but he was able to get two piledrivers out with haste and was able to kill me. Game 3 I don't go below 11 and I Pithing Needle Siege-Gang Commander. I do remember my draws were sick, like drawing mutiple Swords, Blue Elemental Blast and Daze.
2-0

Round 3: RW Goblins - Jonathan Rusiecki
Game 1 my life goes down to 10 and I had a Meddling Mage naming Warchief. He goes from 12 to 5 and I remember I drew a lot of my creatures. Game 2 he plays a turn 1 Aether Vial, then I play Pithing Needle on Aether Vial. With a mountian and a Wasteland out he tries to disenchant my Needle, I point out that he had no white source. On my turn I play Meddling Mage on Disenchant thinking he played the wrong land but then he never played a third land. The next Meddling Mage named Goblin Warchief and I never go below 19 life from my own Sac Land.
3-0

Round 4: MUC - Glenn Anderson
Game 1 I play turn one Mongoose he plays an Ophidian turn three and I don't have Threshold yet so he is card advantage and then when I got him down to 8, he plays a Morphling and all I have is a lone Mongoose. Game 2 is fuzzy to me. I am not sure how the board looks but I had an Armageddon and I remembered we count into a counter battle over a Veldalken Shackles. People told me I should of played Armageddon but I thought he already had one of my creatures so I would go no where with that move. I am sure after thinking about it and people telling me that I could of played Armageddon that we should of went to Game 3 with 5 minutes left in round and draw. I guess getting no sleep before an event is bad aparently.
3-1

Round 5: RW Goblins - Brian Lusk
This match the only thing I can remember is Brian is a friend of a guy I know. Judging from the life totals, game 1 I never went below 10 life and I had a needle on Siege-Gang Commander and Aether Vial. Second game, his life total goes to 19 from a sac land and I aparently didn't play any relavent spells to stop the offense. Game 3 I remember he Wasteland one of my lands and then he was stuck on two lands. I had a Mage on Ringleader and a Needle on Vial and he played Chalice on 1 and then he drew two Swords to Plowshares. Bad Beats.
4-1

Round 6: Angel Stompy - Palmer Smith
This is the best match of the day. First game he resolves two Mother of Runes and a Jitte, so I lost. Game 2 I was able to Swords his Mother of Runes. He plays a Parallax Wave and then I have a Pithing Needle on Jitte and Mage on Sword of Fire and Ice. Aparently he doesn't play Sword of Fire and Ice because I named it on a mage or a Needle all three games and he emptied his hand. He played Tormod's Crypt and used it twice and I was able to get threshold again thanks to Mental Note. But Game 3 I was able to get Mages and Needles on Jitte, Wave and Sword of Fire and Ice. And he drew a lot of lands and when we were top decking I was drawing money spells and he drew more lands.
5-1

Round 7: RW Goblins - Geogre Whittaker
George is my friend and we were both in by drawing.
5-1-1

Top 8: BW Better then Piluka's - Chris Woltereck
I know this guy because he was a teammate of my friend, Shawn Soorani at PT Charleston, which I played in too. He is a cool guy and is very good player. Game 1 I play a turn one Mongoose and he held Swords in his hand. The Mongoose went the distance. Game 2 I come out of the gate with creatures. When I played Mage I had no idea what to name so I named Massacre because I had no idea about Perish and I had a bunch of Werebears in my hand so I thought of that card. But then he draws his Edict when I have a Mystic Enforcer and other creatures on the board and he needed Swords insteed.

Top 4: RW Goblins - Jonathan Rusiecki
Game 1 he was mana Screwed and Game two and three I was land screw. Thats magic.

This was a great experience. I learned all the little tricks that threshold runs. And I picked up a new deck to play in Legacy. Day two I went 1-2. I took out the Mental Notes and the Meddling Mages and added four Portent, the fourth Serum Visions and the second Mystic Enforecer. And the sideboard changes I didn't like it much. But all in all it was a good experience and I learned how to play the mirror. Have fun and hopefully I will be able to win a Mox Jet in my home area and hopefully I would see and beat all you cool legacy people. For now I sign off with 15 Dual lands.

Props:
Jesse Hatfield and Scott for giving me advice on certian matchups.
Geogre Whittaker for lending me the deck and making top 8 himself.
Jonathan Rusiecki for winning it all.
Eric Darland for saying he as quit playing Jack Eglin's deck.
Random people for dealing with my bad breath and B.O.
Chris Woltereck for letting me use his Hitmochan during our match.
Every else I forgot Props to you.

Slops:
Eric Darland for playing a Jack Eglin deck.
David Gerheart for getting more Dual Lands and says "how he is the greatest." and "How many duals do you have?" Here is a question David, plan on Qualifying for another Pro Tour??????????????? LOL
Brandon for losing to 43 lands while playing Solidarity.
Chris Woltereck for not letting me use Hitmochan during the rest of Top 8.

Bardo
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Well done!

Day two I went 1-2. I took out the Mental Notes and the Meddling Mages and added four Portent, the fourth Serum Visions and the second Mystic Enforecer.

And that nicely summarizes my (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=94425&postcount=169) argument (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=94448&postcount=176)(s) in the UGw Thresh thread in the LMF. ;)

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-12-2006, 06:56 PM
Eric Darland for playing a Jack Eglin deck.

Whatever. I told him not to run STE.

fear_these
10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Thanks Bardo. Some of the changes I agree and disagree with but when I look at different decklist those are the cards that seem different. Plus I made a mistake in the mirror and it would of ended in a draw.

Machinus
10-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the report. You were one of my best opponents all weekend.

Congrats on your success with Mental Note! Threshold cards are good.

Finn
10-13-2006, 12:43 PM
How the hell did your friend lose to 43 with Solidarity? Was he playing with only one hand or something?

fear_these
10-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Finn I would rather not get into that. But if would like to find out just ask Dee6er.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-13-2006, 02:54 PM
How the hell did your friend lose to 43 with Solidarity? Was he playing with only one hand or something?

It involved something along the lines of turn 1 Mana Bond with a hand full of manlands and Rishadan Ports. I heard fast savage beats and land disruption is pretty key. Although I was not actually witnessing the match, that is what I heard.

BTW, How are the Dirt matchups coming?

Ewokslayer
10-13-2006, 02:57 PM

I find the matchup against 43 lands only gets unfavorable for Solidarity when playing with your feet. From drawing cards, to holding them in your "hand', to tapping your lands, feet just don't seem to cut it.
Opposable thumbs FTW!

Finn
10-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Ooh, Dirt. That's supposed to get me roused, right?

You could have not been that way. I was just asking a question.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Calm yourself, I am just poking some fun. I figured I would just answer your question and throw in some humor. That is all.

Finn
10-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Fair enough.

Meatballsinpasta
10-14-2006, 08:36 AM
My buddy Chris was playing 43 land.

This is how the games went. Game one The Solidarity player mulled to 5, and just lost because he drew 2 treetops and just raced him as stupid as that is.

And game 2 He was on the draw went Tiegia, manabond, Treetop, Treetop, Treetop, Factory, Factory, Factory. Then drew Rishadan Port, Rishadan Port, Rishadan Port.

Lucky? Hell yea! But under those conditions, you should not blame him for looseing, even though the match should be a bye.

[And incase any of you say did he cut?, yes the Solidarity player not only cut but shuffled his deck. He just got lucky.]