PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Under Truffle

goldenj
10-14-2006, 11:13 AM
So I went to a small (11 folk) 1.5 last night, determined to bring a deck with play against goblins, play against solidarity, and some green creatures. I went 4-0 and split top, and didn't play against either. It's REALLY ROUGH. I'm posting it here because I value your opinions and thoughtfulness. It's enough of a variation of truffle shuffle that it didn't seem right to post it there.

It has long seemed to me that the only worthwhile disruption green has ever had has been land destruction (Legion Land Lost, I miss you) and Plow Under. (Honorable mention: Winter Orb, which I was surprised to find out is actually not green.) So I tried developing around that.

Deck Name (Bad Mushroom?)
29 Mana
4 Bayou
3 Savannah
3 Scrubland
2 Polluted Delta
4 Windswept Heath
2 Llanowar Waste
2 Swamp
1 Forest - against nonbasic hate you can get 2nd green from an elf or wall.
1 Plains

5 Elves (Some mix of Llanowar and Fyndhorn, with an option for Deep Shadow.)
2 Wall of Roots - Could be Sak Tribe. These are longer term goblin proof, and good with Serow.

18 Disruption
4 Duress - good against everyone but goblins, when it's iffy.
4 Hymn to Tourach (Shouldn't Tourach be in Time Spiral?) - good always
3 Umezawa's Jitte - good against everyone but Solidarity, and can help the clock there
4 Vindicate - good against everyone
2 Haunting Echoes - great against threshhold, loam anything
3 Plow Under - good against decks with land
2 Crime and Punishment - should these be deed? Ilike the idea of getting what was crucial and leaving most of my stuff

13 Creatures
3 Troll Ascetic - umezawa who? Your troll monk wants a jitte.
3 Eternal Witness - recurs the occasional good spell you play.
2 Stampeding Serow - good with roots, delicious with lox, dreamy with witness
3 Loxodon Hierarch - good against aggro, burn
2 Gigapede - tried him b/c of truffle, and he was good. Better if he could carry a Jitte. Should be this guy or scarab, I think.

I feel like why I made these choices are pretty obvious - except for serow. Probably that's a danger-of-cool-things issue, but recurring witness is crushing. I actually ran 4 trolls, because I have a 61 problem, usually. You could probably cut a swamp for him if you wanted.

SB: (needs help)
3 Cabal Therapy for combo, control (I played two and they were great)
3 Pernicious Deed for goblins, affinity, elves, randomness. (Punishment for zero, hah.)
1 Plow Under -- collect all
1 Loxodon Hierarch -- four
3 Rofellos -- I didn't have, but realized the speed would be great vs combo.
3 Phyrexian Furnace -- these should maybe be grunts.
15th card -- ?

I had two mutilates, in place of the 3rd therapy and the 15th card, but I wouldn't recommend those. You could do Infest in an aggro heavy matchup. Or Naturalize, which I had in place of Rofellos.

I beat Bye, SRB (lucky jitte life) 2-1, ported CAL 2-0, Train Wreck 2-1. Not exactly X-0 on dual for duals, eh? But the testing vs goblins looks promising, and solidarity is playable. Haven't tested Pop. Great vs anything without a ton of counters.

Bane of the Living
10-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Wow this deck is so good we have 3 threads going on it. I suppose 5 if you count Truffle Shuffle and Dirt.

Honestly this deck isnt much different than truffle. A bit more aggro. I do like Trolls here. Maybe if Truffle played them it could win 2 games in 50 minutes.

Cavius The Great
10-14-2006, 06:59 PM
I would replace the Llanowar Wastes with basics. I made that same deckbuilding mistake a while back and I realized that basics and duals are all you need and that painlands suck.

Also, Stampeeding Wildebeasts does the same thing as theyre twin brother Serow. Just thought I'd throw that in. :wink:

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Wow this deck is so good we have 3 threads going on it. I suppose 5 if you count Truffle Shuffle and Dirt.

Honestly this deck isnt much different than truffle. A bit more aggro. I do like Trolls here. Maybe if Truffle played them it could win 2 games in 50 minutes.

If you ignore half the deck and the core strategy being different, I guess.

In a three color deck, why do you run Llanowar Elves over Birds of Paradise? If the answer's Jitte, Sword of Fire/Ice seems stronger anyway, not least because it has a better synergy with the Birds that you really should be running.

goldenj
10-22-2006, 02:08 PM
@IBA
a) Thanks for recognizing the differences between this and the other B/G variants
b) The answer is part Jitte -- which has been better vs goblins and SRB in my testing than SoFI, and part answer to Goblin Lackey. Now that goblin decks don't run much burn (fanatic and incinerator), turn 1 elf is a 50% answer to lackey. This deck needs some, since it gave up on the sweepers of Truffle to have an aggro game of its own. I could easily see running the birds and switching to swords, though. The need to get attacker's hits in to get get the sword humming made me go with jitte, which works better in defense. This deck is not the beatdown vs aggro. The life gain has been good vs affinity, goblins and burn. 1 cheaper to play and equip, too.

Other miscellaneous notes:
At one point the sideboard had rav. beasts, which are better with Serows (which are beasts) and the Serows outlived their hungry buddies.

The lack of birds is another reason why the last two wastes are in instead of more basics.