PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Pirates

Barsoom
10-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh Lol
See that deck that 52° at D4D Pirates!!! (http://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=19163)

Anyhow here the decklist:

Artifacts
3 Ankh Of Mishra
3 Chrome Mox

Creatures
2 Gilded Drake
2 Ninja Of The Deep Hours
4 Rishadan Cutpurse
4 Rishadan Footpad

Enchantments
4 Parallax Tide
4 Seal Of Removal

Instants
4 Boomerang
4 Hoodwink
4 Stifle

Sorceries
3 Exhaustion

Basic Lands
15 Island

Lands
4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
2 Pithing Needle
1 Sword Of Fire And Ice
3 Tormod's Crypt
1 Gilded Drake
2 Arcane Laboratory
3 Propaganda
3 Umezawa's Jitte

If it 52° seems not a very good choice, anyhow it looks very fun!!!
And you what do you think?

Hanni
10-14-2006, 05:14 PM
And you what do you think?

I wish I would have gotten paired against the guy who ran this deck. :)

Rishadan Footpad may act as a sort of removal, but it's still a 4cc 2/2. How could that possibly be good in this format? The same thing applies to Cutpurse... a 3cc 1/1 is just terrible.

The deck tries to use tempo elements but it seems like it has no definite answers for problematic cards. The deck may be a fun deck, but I don't see how it could possibly be competitive in this format.

My suggestions for improving the deck would be to add Rishadan Ports and Mana Leaks. Winter Orb looks like it could work well in this deck too. The deck should drop some of the bounce elements for some tempo countermagic like Daze. Thwart and/or Foil seem like they would be good with the Winter Orbs.

Bovinious
10-14-2006, 05:18 PM
AEther vial looks like it may work well, put those higher CC creatures into play as a surprise, and maybe 2 on 1 turn to really screw over the opponent, that is if you havnt lost yet. Also may wanna add a few one drops, aether vial is a good turn 1 drop but you cannot rely on a chrome mox every time, so maybe some manta riders or something.

tpnp
10-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Rishadan Footpad may act as a sort of removal, but it's still a 4cc 2/2. How could that possibly be good in this format? The same thing applies to Cutpurse... a 3cc 1/1 is just terrible.
Just to randomly point something out, Vial Goblins runs a 4cc 2/2 and a 3cc 1/1 (Ringleader and Matron). Granted, those costs are reduced if there is a Warchief in play, but being a goblin player myself, that doesn't always happen.

Seems like a fun deck to play, but I think it was played in the wrong metagame.

Pinder
10-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Just to randomly point something out, Vial Goblins runs a 4cc 2/2 and a 3cc 1/1 (Ringleader and Matron).

Yeah, but those creatures do something useful. Ringleader = FoF on a 2/2 body, and Matron = fucking Demonic Tutor (it can fetch ringleader for draw, Incinerator for removal, etc, etc.) Somehow I don't see Footpad and Cutpurse being anywhere near as good. And, as you pointed out, there isn't a Rishadan Warchief.

Canook
10-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Uh, yeah this is kind of embarrassing... I got paired up against that dude... I lost... 1-2. He stifled both of his Parallex Tides!!!

Hanni
10-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes but Goblins has ways of cheating Ringleader and Matron into play via Lackey and Matron. Additionally, they are tutors on a stick... meaning they aren't entirely meant to be the backbone of the aggro force. They are meant to draw into more threats, such as Piledriver and Siege Gang.

In this deck, the Rishadan guys are the backbone of the aggro, making up 1/2 of the aggro base.

Maybe if he added 3-4 Ancient Tomb in addition to his 3 Moxes, the cc investment wouldn't be as bad. Still though, I'm just comparing how good the Rishadan's are in power level compared to cc, not necessarily saying they suck because their cc is too high. Good high cc spells in this format do exist, but they are significantly more powerful than the Rishadan's are.

Team-Hero
10-17-2006, 07:52 PM
This deck is all wrong. I used to play this deck about 2 years ago. Now I would recommend the following cards.

All 3 of the Rishadan Pirates
Followed Footsteps
Boomerang, Hoodwinked, Early Frost
Isochron Scepter
Stifle or Trickbind
FoW
Rishadan Port
Counterspell
Wasteland

With a combination like that, you should stand a chance. First you boomerang all their land back to their hand asap. Then you get an Ischron Scepter going with a land destruptor going. Then you play your pirates and enchant them with a followed footsteps.