PDA

View Full Version : Hampton Roads Mox Tournament - 1st Place Split

ShaheenSoorani
10-15-2006, 03:43 PM
So again I decided to venture in the legacy format with an extended deck + a few legacy additions. Here is my list.

"Classic" UW Control

4 Brainstorm
4 Sword to Plowshares
4 Counterspell
4 Force of Will
2 Stifle
3 Decree of Justice
2 Eternal Dragon
2 Exalted Angel
1 Masticore
2 Cunning Wish
3 Wrath of God
2 Akromas Vengeance
3 Fact or Fiction
4 Flooded Strand
2 Polluted Delta
1 Scrubland
1 Underground Sea
4 Tundra
3 Plains
7 Islands
2 Temple of the False God

Sideboard

4 Meddling Mage
2 Arcane Lab
1 Rule of Law
3 Tsabos Decree
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Pulse of the Fields
1 Forbid
1 Disenchant
1 Fact or Fiction

Most people had to endure my constant criticisms of the legacy format as being "unskilled", "stale", and dead end. My criticisms have not changed.

We have a format with the same three decks, solidarity/threshold/goblins, winning and top 8ing every event without exception. These three decks have a paper/rock/scissors win record to the T, with a very boring matchup after matchup. Now we have an aggro deck, combo deck and aggro/control deck leading the format, so what are we missing? CONTROL. I havn't lost a game to threshold, playing in a dual for duals and this particular tournament with an overall record of 8-2-3, with my two losses to Goblins, but both going to game 3 and very close. I've played against threshold three times, with a record of 6-0, with zero close games. Against Goblins I am 2-2 and against solidarity I am 1-0-2. So with a slightly hard game against solidarity, game 1 being an auto loss and game 2/3 being a 60% to 40% in UW favor.

My point is a solid control deck will not only help fix this horrible stale format, but allow other tier 2-3 decks a good chance of coming up and actually standing a chance.

Here is my tournament report.

Round 1 vs Black/Red, Red Death whatever it's called. (Amead I think)

Game 1-

My opponent muls to 6, but has the turn 1 ritual Negator, and I do not have a Force or Sword to answer him, but instead turn 4 I wrath of God, leaving myself at a relatively low life. The game goes on for a long time, I counter his creatures from turn 4-7, but at three life another bolt effect will end me. I end up cunning wishing for Pulse of the Fields, and Pulse my way back to 17, and ending the game.

Game 2 -

This game wasn't even close, he turn 2 ritual into a hymn / s-hole, I force the hymn to protect my few land in hand, but he untaps and drops Negator, again no sword to answer, but no wrath either, game ends shortly after.

Game 3 -

He boards in that crazy enchantment that has cumulative upkeep 1 life, each player sacrifices a green/white permanent. I have a morphed angel that stays morphed for a while, and ends up flipping to lock hippy. I untap and drop another exalted angel, while he has a nantuko shade. I win the race and win the match.

1 - 0

Round 2 vs Survival

Game 1 -

This matchup is favorable for me I believe, with my opponent running creature mana accelerants that are vulnerable to wrath, and my prediction holds slightly true. Game 1 my opponent muligans but accidently draws seven again, so then muligans to five. The double mul on the play kill hims, and I try to win as fast as possible, dropping exalted angel, and running in there a few times.

Game 2 -

He doesn't muligan, but keeps a one land bird hand. He drops BOP and passes, and I sword the bird. He misses his second land drop for a few turns, and I drop masticore on turn 4. He untaps, draws mountain and drops tin street huligan. He takes a long time to get his mana ramped, and I again drop exalted angel, hard cast degree for a few more angels, and end the game.

2 - 0

Round 3 vs Solidarity (D. Gearhart)

Game 1 -

I'm not a huge fan of the matchup, where I know I lose game 1 but have a slight advantage game 2 and 3. I offer the draw jokingly, not really thinking David will accept, but he considers drawing just because he wants me in the top 8, aka have a future favorable matchup. We play for fun, but Intentional Draw.

2 - 0 - 1

Round 4 vs Goblins (Alex Hatfield)

Game 1 -

He has a pretty good start with vial, then following up with lackey and fanatic. I played a morphed creature, and my hand is looking ugly with few business spells, and I have to block lackey, and he shoots it with fanatic to kill it. I stall for a little bit with wrath, but my hand is too weak to battle his much more than average start.

Game 2 -

I mul to six on the play, and keep a one lander. I miss the second land drop, but manage to hit land 2 on turn 3, forcing a vial, swording a lackey. I cycle Eternal Dragon for land 3 and play it. He is attacking me with a fanatic, and adding counters to vial number 2 played, as I draw temple of the false god, giving me 3 land and a temple. I'm holding Tsabos Decree, as I watch him play ringleader and hit three more goblins , he attacks and passes. I rip the land to cast Tsabos and he drops the 6 goblins he was holding, and the game swings. I get lucky to hit temple then land, but better lucky than good sometimes and I steal the game.

Game 3 -

This game is a very close one. He has an average start, I battle with swords and early game counters, but it comes to having to draw wrath for the win. I miss, of course I rabbit hunt and it's the next card, and I lose the match.

2 - 1 - 1

Round 5 vs Palincron Survival (Scott, Unicorn Lesbian)

Game 1 -

This game looks close from a third party view, but I set the match up for a late game hard cast for a gaggle of decree tokens, knowing survival will not have an excellent answer for these flying angels. He tries to survive by grabbing bone shredder, witness for swords, but I counter the shredder and fly over for the win.

Game 2 -

My hand sucks but I keep it, counter spell decree five land. He starts off with duress/therapy, birds to accelerate, etc. But then has a five turn land drawing spree, I draw exalted, and hit him 5 times for the win.

3 - 1 - 1

Quarterfinals vs Goblins (James Buckingham)

Game 1 -

Playing against my friend I make an agreement that whatever happens, we split profits, then we play it out. I have a fantastic hand, with basic lands, 2 sac lands out, holding wish and temple. This game is over. Wish turn 4 for Tsabos Decree, blow him out of the water with the 7 point mind twist, and show the room that Goblins can lose to one card, and they do.

Game 2 -

No Tsabos Decree this game. We start off a pretty close match, and it comes to a main phase brainstorm, exalted angel already flipped and swinging, into a stifle. I have the option of playing another morphed angel lookin at his side of the board with a fanatic and already stifled matron, but I opt to pass, as he is holding one card and three land in play. He draws, plays a land, and drops ringleader, I stifle, and the game ends a turn or two later.

4 - 1 - 1

Semifinals vs Iggy Pop (Mike)

Game 1 -

I LOVE this matchup, LOVE it. Game one I shouldn't win but it's pretty close, he tried to go off, and only was able to tendrils for 14, it came down to having a turn and a cycle to hit a blue card to join force of will, it didn't happen. He was able to tutor for a tendrils, which gave me three turns and two more cycles to either hit a draw spell to hit a stifle or wish (pulse of the fields), but I fizzle and die.

Game 2 -

What can I say? After board 2 Arcane Lab, 4 Meddling Mage, 1 Rule of Law, being able to cunning with for Enlightened Tutor for the enchantments, adding Forbid to the main, and being able to board out dead cards. This game had a resolved Lab, with a few counter spells to back it up. Exalted Angel dealt the near lethal damage, before he conceded.

Game 3 -

My hand is sick. It's Mage, Force, Wish, Brainstorm, Tundra, Tundra, Counterspell. I end up brainstorming into zero land, but into another force, wish, and counterspell. Eventually I build land up, after mage has been beating him for a few turns. I named Infernal Tutor with mage, which he happened to have two of in his hand, but I should have named Tendrils. It comes from a slight inexperience with mage against this more rogue combo deck than solidarity, but the game ends relatively easy.

5 - 1 - 1

Finals vs Solidarity (David Gearhart)

Game 1 -

Obviously this cooks plan works, he helps me top 8, I top 8. He does it to have a favorable matchup eventually, he plays me in the final as I steamroll the rest of the field. But he want's to deal, so i deal. I ask him for $175 bucks, and I give him the Mox. We play for fun, where I lose 2-1, but mainly because of relatively poor draws game 2-3 with only seeing one sideboard card after fact or fictions, brainstorms and fetching. But alas, that's magic, and I was happy with the finish.

So I play a deck with cards that would make 99% of legacy player gag, temple of the false god, tsabos decree, akromas vengeance, random masticore, and really the whole deck in general. Well even if you think these cards are terrible, you have to wonder how I can win 8 competitive matches, get seven duals and 175 dollars from prize splits with this pile. I'll tell you why. You all have forgetten your roots in legacy magic. Goblins hasn't always been the insane best deck of all time, control gentlemen. Trying not playing ridiculous horrible idiot creatures like werebears and nimble mongosses, come on. Just play efficient card draw, mass removal, GOOD CREATURES, and a toolbox sideboard that will help your weaker matchups, and I swear to God you won't look like an idiot with 2 1/1 mongosses sitting there looking like an idiot against goblins.

Alright guys, see you after Pro Tour Kobe.

herbig
10-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Looks more or less like Landstill. So you lost to Goblins and Solidarity, not bad. Good job and good luck with that.

ShaheenSoorani
10-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Yea lost to goblins and solidarity, but also beat goblins and solidarity. So it's 50/50 against 2/3 tier one decks, and 99/100 against thresh in essence, while running over the tier 2.

Looks like standstill? Are you joking? There is a 30 + card maindeck difference. I guess it does run brainstorm. =/

TheInfamousBearAssassin
10-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Don't listen to him. The haters just can't appreciate the sheer hotness of Onslaught block rares.

quicksilver
10-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Round 2 vs Survival

Game 1 -

This matchup is favorable for me I believe, with my opponent running creature mana accelerants that are vulnerable to wrath, and my prediction holds slightly true. Game 1 my opponent muligans but accidently draws seven again, so then muligans to five. The double mul on the play kill hims, and I try to win as fast as possible, dropping exalted angel, and running in there a few times.

Game 2 -

He doesn't muligan, but keeps a one land bird hand. He drops BOP and passes, and I sword the bird. He misses his second land drop for a few turns, and I drop masticore on turn 4. He untaps, draws mountain and drops tin street huligan. He takes a long time to get his mana ramped, and I again drop exalted angel, hard cast degree for a few more angels, and end the game.

Yeah game 1 I mull to a great 6 card hand but I accidentaly draw the 7th. I've never done that before in a tournement and I was pissed. It had discard to rip his hand apart followed by a survival, and the land to do it with. My next hand was pretty bad but at least it had mana, and I doubt a 4 card hand would be any better.
Game 2 I did keep a one land birds hand which was still pretty good. Unfortunatly I take forever drawing land, I think I draw 1 land out of the next 20 cards. But my hand is absolutly busted, I die with double witness in hand, genesis in the yard, some more good stuff in hand including a B.Wish. He has nothing relevent in his hand. I die after finally getting to 5 mana when I had Wish for anarchy in my hand (which needed 6 mana) and it would have wrecked him since he had no good cards left in hand.

But my day went like this:
Round 1:Goblins, I win 2/1. I lost game 2 because although I get an early survival, the only creature I ever see all game is the indrik stomphowler in my opening hand. I draw like 10 lands, and 2 more survivals, and just living off of 1 creature a turn from squee. I end up playing like 2 witnesses a turn and another creature but that just isn't enough since witness is so easy for goblins to kill, he ends of slowly doing damage and I die real late cause out of like 20 card i only see 1 creature. I had also sided out genesis since in 99.9% of the games against goblins he is way too slow to do anyhting, especially with all of their mana destruction, too bad that was the 0.1% game. But I go on to win game 3 and the match.

Round 2: Anwar fails to beat the UW control deck round 1 and my list is not tuned against control at the moment, plus a bit of bad luck and me not paying enough attention. See above.

Round 3:James paton playing solidarity.
Game1:I mull to 5 game 1. Apparently mulling to 5 against solidarity means I autowin, cause everytime I have mulled to 5 against solidarity, I have won that game. I play lots of duresses and therapies and win.
Game2: I keep a hand that is busted with a therapy, a duress I think, 2 buring wishes, a werebear and 2 forests. Only one problem, I got no black or red mana, well if I top deck a black mana source early I can't lose. I get a turn 3 bird. A turn 4 duress resolves so I think I am in a good position now. He wins in reponse to my 5th turn duress by stroking himself for 17.
Game3: I draw two therapies which I play like 7 times, I play them, flash one back, b.wish for it again, play it, witness it back, play it again, flash back. He quickily lost his hand, he got a flash in the yard but it wasn't enough.

Round4: I get paried against Krieger. Although this was probably my most favorable airing of the day (about 50/50 matchup), I dread it cause that means one of us is knocking the other out. Game 1 he gets me down to 1 with double mystic enforcer out and needle on survival. I rip survival, and well I win, cause I play it and the tin street in my hand, bring out double birds for a couple turns till I get out rofellos, flash back my edict, then double FTK the other one. Game 2 I go to three with enforcer out, I rip survival and get loaming shaman ftw. He was pissed but it sucks that we got paired.

Round 5:I draw in with the same person I drew in with at SGC last weekend. He was playing Iggy pop again.

Top8: Calosso (pronounced Salooso) with goblins.
Of course I have to get paired up against the worst/luckiest goblins player ever.
Game1: He has lackey out plays like 30 goblins and way over extends into B.Wish. Of course I don't have it and he wins. Better lucky than good.
Game2: He keeps a one land hand and jsut expects to win off of lackey and vial. I got first turn birds. He goes lackey, I go engineered plague. I take a disenchant out of his hand with therapy but he kept a terrible hand and can't play it yet anyways. He goes vial, I wish for hull breach and destroy it. He gets a second land and gets out a 0/1 piledriver. I win with just two witnesses that witnesses back crap, I just needed the clock since I got mana flooded. I draw a second plague and the witnesses swing all the way.
Game3: He disenchants my second turn plague, then I drop survival. He gets out siege gang followed by a pile driver each turn for like 3 turns. I finally stabalize at three life with him having no cards in hand an a pile driver out, I have a plague out and next turn I witness back the other plague. I tell him to rip the warchief this turn and win since that (or ringleader) this turn is his only out for winning the match. He rips the warchief for exactly 3 damage. Oh I would have won too if I had actually gotten a black land, but I couldn't draw any and had to rely on birds that often died. But hey, better lucky than good right? Well not against gerhart where Calosso hands him the match for not knowing how is own vial works.

So I'm mad not because I didn't win a mox but because I failed to knock a terrible/lucky player out who won matches on the back of an overpowered deck.

NANTUKO_SHADY
10-16-2006, 02:34 PM
So I'm mad not because I didn't win a mox but because I failed to knock a terrible/lucky player out who won matches on the back of an overpowered deck.

Better luck next time Dave. But hey.. Calosso's run seems rather similar to that of day two of SCG Duel for Duals... anyone???

herbig
10-16-2006, 02:48 PM
Aw man, whats with all the Calosso hating. He's not that bad.

Machinus
10-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Actually, Legacy is missing Prison as well as Control.

You're not the first person to try to make Control good in Legacy. Has anyone yet credited the success of UW to the pilot instead of the deck? Let me be the first.

Control's job has gotten easier since people started playing much more Combo. I hope this development succeeds.

Ewokslayer
10-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Aw man, whats with all the Calosso hating. He's not that bad.

Herbig is right,
Calosso is only loud, annoying, and thinks that his extreme lucksacking makes him a good player. He doesn't kill babies or anything, unlike a certain Solidarity player ( http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=68626&highlight=Babies#post68626)

I tell him to rip the warchief this turn and win since that (or ringleader) this turn is his only out for winning the match.
Why would you tempt fate playing against the biggest lucksack in the world?

URABAHN
10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Dave, you really need to build a RGBSABWMF2K6FTW deck that beats Goblins.

clavio
10-18-2006, 10:06 PM
Actually, Legacy is missing Prison as well as Control.

http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4407

I wouldn't say the format is missing prison, people are just playing other decks. Relic orb and angel stax have potential of doing very well.

Tsabo's decree is some hot shit. Im surprised that not too many people run it.

quicksilver
10-19-2006, 10:49 AM
http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4407

I wouldn't say the format is missing prison, people are just playing other decks. Relic orb and angel stax have potential of doing very well.

Tsabo's decree is some hot shit. Im surprised that not too many people run it.

probably because it costs 6 mana, and with all of goblin's land denial, most decks will be dead by the time they get to 6 mana. I know my survival deck which runs 30 mana sources, only gets to 6 mana about 5% of the games.

Eldariel
10-19-2006, 04:34 PM
What's up with these decknames? If you play black, your deck isn't UW Control. That's fairly simple. I've also seen 'MUCs with white'. WTF is up with that? That's Uw Control -.- There's a reason for the colour cues in the names... As for Tsabo's Decree, didn't ANY of the Goblins draw Wastelands OR Ports? You'd imagine they could keep your Temple stranded for pretty long and keep you off the black mana for Decree while at it...

ShaheenSoorani
10-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Wasteland is fantastic against the 14 basic lands.......and yea they stop you from getting black with the fetchland you leave out......you got me!

Most goblin variants (the ones that win the most anyway) run the four wasteland package, instead of the waste/port split. And if your even more retarded, then you run 4 and 4, but you usually find yourself 1-2 drop.

They do keep my temple locked, because I always play that card right when I draw it turns 1-4, you know when it taps for zero, got me again.

Do deck names offend you? Like WHY DOES HE CALL IT SOLIDARITY, I DON'T SEE SOLIDARITYS IN THERE?!?! AHHH!?!??! What a confusing deck name.

It's a goddamn deck name.

Who is this guy?

calosso
10-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Wasteland is fantastic against the 14 basic lands.......and yea they stop you from getting black with the fetchland you leave out......you got me!

Most goblin variants (the ones that win the most anyway) run the four wasteland package, instead of the waste/port split. And if your even more retarded, then you run 4 and 4, but you usually find yourself 1-2 drop.

They do keep my temple locked, because I always play that card right when I draw it turns 1-4, you know when it taps for zero, got me again.

Do deck names offend you? Like WHY DOES HE CALL IT SOLIDARITY, I DON'T SEE SOLIDARITYS IN THERE?!?! AHHH!?!??! What a confusing deck name.

It's a goddamn deck name.

Who is this guy?

I hate you. Btw I run 4 waste 3 port and who beat who in the Duel 4 Duals?

M.Maddox
10-25-2006, 12:00 PM
Nice job, Shaheen. Your deck is very similar to a U/W control deck I made a few months ago. I run a few more counters and no black, but I like your ideas. Nice to see a good control deck owning some face.