PDA

View Full Version : Mangara of Corondor

midnightAce
10-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Mangara of Corondor

Tap: Remove Mangara of Corondor and target permanent from the game.

I opened two Mangara in the box I bought, and I was toying with the idea of Astral Slide + Mangara. With the above wording for Mangara, does Mangara have to be in play when his ability resolves?

ie.

Tap Mangara, targeting the other guy's land, with that ability on stack, cycle Eternal Dragon, trigger Astral Slide, slide out Mangara, does Mangara's ability still resolve?

Another situation:

Tap Mangara, target the other guy's Sea Drake, he casts Echoing Truth in response, bounce back the Drake, what happens to Mangara?

Thanks in advance.

Finn
10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Mangara is awesome.

In your first example, his ability resolves while he is somewhere in the astral plane. He comes back at eot unharmed while his target is gone for good.

In your second example, the opponent removes the only target for his ablity countering it. Mangara is simply tapped and served as a fine Temporal Adept while the opponent wonders why the hell he wasted his Echoing Truth.

Tacosnape
10-19-2006, 04:07 PM
On a somewhat unrelated note, anyone know what the anagram here is, since Mangara is an anagram of Anagram?

quicksilver
10-19-2006, 04:15 PM
On a somewhat unrelated note, anyone know what the anagram here is, since Mangara is an anagram of Anagram?

Corondor is obviously an anagram for Corn Door. "Anagram of Corn Door"

Tacosnape
10-21-2006, 01:10 AM
Corondor is obviously an anagram for Corn Door. "Anagram of Corn Door"

Or "Anagram of Croon Rod."

Or "Anagram of Ron or Doc."

God help us all. What if they only put Mangara as an Anagram of Anagram just to confuse me? I might explode.

MasterBlaster
10-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Or "Anagram of Croon Rod."

Or "Anagram of Ron or Doc."

God help us all. What if they only put Mangara as an Anagram of Anagram just to confuse me? I might explode.

It could also be "Anagram for..."

Mind exploded yet?

Angel of Despair
10-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Maybe its
"Anagram of...."
your all insane...and I mean that in the nicest way possible:tongue:

parallax
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Mangara is an anagram of "anagram" as an in-joke of R&D because it was common back in Mirage-times to use anagrams to make card names. Corondor is simply where he was from, and is not an anagram of anything.

Versus
11-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Yep, me again! What's more annoying, the guy that bumps old threads or the one that makes new ones already in existance?! Probably both.

Anyway, simple question: I completely understand the fact that Mangara's ability removing himself from the game is not a cost, but an effect. I also understand the tricks involved with Karakas, Stonecloaker, Blink, Astral Slide, ect and why they work. Forget all that though...

My question is this, when would an opponent want to kill Mangara in order to stop him from Vindicating their permanent? Obviously before a full turn when he has summoning sickness would be optimal, but say he survives a full turn?

In otherwords, if someone tries to Bolt him, I can tap him in responce and his ability will resolve. If I tap him first and he gets bolted won't the ability still resolve if it's on the stack? Or would he die before the ability resolves?

I think I know what I'm talking about, but the timing has me confused a bit as well as were the : is on his card text maybe. My guess is that any skilled opponent would be killing him in sponce to my activating his ability, thus it will not activate/resolve.

Nihil Credo
11-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Once you've tapped Mangara to pay for its ability, the game wouldn't care if your white Legendary Human Wizard were to get ass-raped by HIV-positive laser bears. The only way to save your Goblin Legionnaire is to counter the activated ability, which can be done AFAIK in exactly two ways:

1) By a spell or ability, with any effect that says "Counter target activated ability" (Stifle, Rimewind Cryomancer, etc.)

2) By the game rules, i.e. making the (only) target illegal: give your Legionnaire Shroud, give it Protection from White, "blink" it away (with Momentary Blink or the like).

ClearSkies
11-29-2007, 08:51 AM
Anyway, simple question: I completely understand the fact that Mangara's ability removing himself from the game is not a cost, but an effect. I also understand the tricks involved with Karakas, Stonecloaker, Blink, Astral Slide, ect and why they work. Forget all that though...

My question is this, when would an opponent want to kill Mangara in order to stop him from Vindicating their permanent? Obviously before a full turn when he has summoning sickness would be optimal, but say he survives a full turn?

In otherwords, if someone tries to Bolt him, I can tap him in responce and his ability will resolve. If I tap him first and he gets bolted won't the ability still resolve if it's on the stack? Or would he die before the ability resolves?

I think I know what I'm talking about, but the timing has me confused a bit as well as were the : is on his card text maybe. My guess is that any skilled opponent would be killing him in sponce to my activating his ability, thus it will not activate/resolve.

As long as its ability isn't stifled and it goes on the stack, the ability will try to resolve.

Besides using Split Second cards and stifle, you can't stop your opponent from responding with it.

It doesn't matter wheither Mangara is in the board or not when the ability is already on the stack.

Versus
11-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Awesome, thanks guys. I knew his ability would resolve if he were back in your hand or Blinked, but wasn't 100% if he was outrighted killed.

Once you've tapped Mangara to pay for its ability, the game wouldn't care if your white Legendary Human Wizard were to get ass-raped by HIV-positive laser bears.

Hilarious! Sigged.