PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorming] New Combo

Bane of the Living
10-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Theres an interesting new combo card in TS that hasnt had much discussion here on the source yet. No not Grapeshot! Magus of the Jar. Its a draw 7 that isnt banned in the format. No seriously, a draw 7. The first place to put it is obviously combo. Storm combo since its the best. His only problem is he doesnt have haste, we need to fix that. I think the best way is probably corpse dance.

land 16
4 Flooded Strand
2 Island
2 Swamp
4 Polluted Delta
4 Underground Sea

free mana 16
4 Lion's Eye Diamond
4 Lotus Petal
4 Cabal Ritual
4 Dark Ritual

engine 16
4 Magus of the Jar
4 Intuition
4 Corpse Dance
4 Shallow Grave

utility 8
4 Careful Study
4 Duress

kill 4
4 Tendrils of Agony

Thats a very rough list. It can go off like a normal tendrils deck but it has the super draw 7 that should just win the game when triggered. It seems like a 2-3 turn clock with all the strengths and weaknesses of IGGy Pop. What do you guys think??

b4r0n
10-21-2006, 05:41 PM
It seems like a 2-3 turn clock with all the strengths and weaknesses of IGGy Pop.
Unfortunately, the combo has one major weakness that IGGy Pop doesn't: Pithing Needle. Why not just run Diminishing Returns instead of the Magus? It would free up at least 8 slots (reamination spells), and with 4 of every card, the drawback doesn't seem like it would be a major problem.

Cavius The Great
10-21-2006, 06:33 PM
What's the point of winning gradually when you can just swing with a 24/24 trampling hasting Sutured Ghoul FTW?

herbig
10-22-2006, 12:46 PM
What's the point of winning gradually when you can just swing with a 24/24 trampling hasting Sutured Ghoul FTW?

Creature removal?

Brainstorm really needs to be worked in there somewhere. And Brainfreeze might be a better win condition since getting enough mana for Tendrils is still pretty tricky.

Benie Bederios
10-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Unfortunately, the combo has one major weakness that IGGy Pop doesn't: Pithing Needle. Why not just run Diminishing Returns instead of the Magus? It would free up at least 8 slots (reamination spells), and with 4 of every card, the drawback doesn't seem like it would be a major problem.

Well one reason is that Corpse Dance costs 3 mana and Returns 4. This is a huge difference in Legacy, believe me. Also the 8 reanimatespells, gives this deck 8 Draw Seven's instead of 4.

UrDraco
10-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Have you considered a deck with Magus of the Jar + Sneak Attack. It both gives the Magus haste and completely avoids the graveyard. All you have to do for the combo to keep going is to draw another magus and one red for mana (lotus petal, LED etc..).

insertnamehere
10-22-2006, 08:52 PM
I think you are relying on getting all the cards you need on your initial draw. You need some kind of defense against faster decks.
ex. : Tap 1 Blue and 1 White and cast meddling mage naming tendrils, oops that's game.

Cavius The Great
10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Have you guys considered Megrim as an alternate kill condition? It's old school but it might work. Plus it's a mana cheaper than Tendrils.

DieMyDarling
10-24-2006, 07:26 AM
I have also played a little bit with this ( mostly against random.dec) but i like it.
I have a 3/2 split of tendrils and megrim which really helps against meddling mage because u can chose how to win. What i would like to add iare brainstorms and FoWs. I am also testing chrome mox instead of the the cabal ritual. If it is as good, i try to get some place for thirst for knowledge

mfg

Bryant Cook
10-24-2006, 03:26 PM
Theres an interesting new combo card in TS that hasnt had much discussion here on the source yet. No not Grapeshot!

Please, who are you? Grapeshot is the only card from timespiral. Alright; enough of that, now why must this deck suck? I love draw 7's as much as the next guy but you need to plan ahead. Sorry bane, doesn't look like you did much homework. I respect you as a deck builder and all; since you put your decks up here, I certainly don't put my thousands up. The deck is going to need to have 4x Repeal and possibly force of will. It's sorcery speed combo that averages at 3.5 without protection, have you learned nothing from Trojan man? You always need protection while "combo-ing" unless you're lucky. what makes this deck better than Solidarity? They combo on the same turn, you lose to grave hate, you're combo needs more pieces/fuel(Solidarity's whole deck is a combo piece). I'd reccommend going more balls to the walls and making it faster or slowing it down and adding Repeal and Force of Will. Just food for thought.

Bane of the Living
10-25-2006, 08:02 PM
This isnt a deck really, its a brainstorming thread. I gave a sample decklist to start some innovation. Draw 7's are certainly stellar. Maybe some of the tendrils crazy players on here can take the deck a step further. What would you suggest as a change to fit some FoW's? Cut Duress? Go with both?

Morim_Brightsmoke
11-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Have people thought at all about including infernal tutor for whatever might be needed, you are already playing LED so it might help. Also, if this deck is seriously being worked on has anyone got new developments or any testing results?

Just trying to get this thread going again as i am thinking of playing this also.