PDA

View Full Version : GRBUW Sliver

iamjboyd
10-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey. I'm new to the forums, so I thought Ild put out my most succesful deck out, in casual play, so far atleast. I've wanted to put out a legacy deck for awhile now, s o I figured I'ld start devolopment. (Note: This is without any competitive Legacy experience, so if it seems a little noobish, well in this case looks aren't decieving.)
This is the creature base, very varied.
1 Basal Sliver
1 Bonesplitter Sliver
1 Crypt Sliver
1 Crystalline Sliver
1 Essence Sliver
4 Fertile Ground
1 Fungus Sliver
1 Fury Sliver
4 Gemhide Sliver
1 Harmonic Sliver
1 Heart Sliver
1 Horned Sliver
1 Hunter Sliver
1 Magma Sliver
1 Might Sliver
1 Muscle Sliver
1 Psionic Sliver
1 Quilled Sliver
1 Root Sliver
1 Screeching Sliver
1 Sidewinder Sliver
4 Sliver Overlord
2 Sliver Queen
1 Spined Sliver
1 Spinneret Sliver
1 Talon Sliver
1 Toxin Sliver
1 Winged Sliver

I use the four Gemhides as mana producers, and focus on Sliver Overlord to fish out whatever I need at the moment. The Queen has some useful combos with Basal Sliver and Seart Sliver plus a "Tap for: whatever. (Magma for damage, Gemhide for mana). I didn't add Sedge Sliver because I don't use basic lands, as shown below. I added another Queen and 3 more Overlords because they are usually the game winners.

Other Spells
4 Fertile Ground
2 Shared Triumph
4 Urza's Incubator

Urza's Incubator helps get the beefier guys out, like Fury Sliver. S chose Shared Triumph because its cheaper than say, Glorious Anthem, plus if I'm green screwed I don't have to worry about not having enough power.

Lands:
4 Watery Grave
4 Temple Garden
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Overgrown Tomb

I decided to use only 16 lands because getting mana is usually not a problem unless I fail to get some green mana for a little while, but usually happens only one of five games.

So if you have any feed back, please tell me!
Thank you very much.

iOWN
10-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I love the synergy between Magma Sliver and Crystalline Sliver. Also a suggestion, maybe you should cut seven more lands to add a couple Darksteel Colossuses (Colossi?). I know they aren't Slivers, but they're probably the best thing for your deck, especially with that excellent balance of mana base and mana accel.

Seriously, if you are... real, I would check out the Sliver thread in Open Discussion as it has already been developed and would be something good to look at if you like Slivers. Something to keep in mind about deckbuilding is to always try to keep it as consistent as possible (less one-ofs) and keep basic lands in the mana base, since Wastelands are common in this format.

If you are a fake account (no offense if you aren't, but it seems likely), it isn't funny. Fuck off. (Really, why do you own 16 Rav duals?)

iamjboyd
10-23-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm still devoloping it, playing mostly with people I know, lots of proxies, thats how we usually play, and everyone usually haves one 100% real deck, but we like throwing around new ideas, thanks for the tip.

rsaunder
10-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Perhaps survival of the fittest, to make your one-ofs suck less?

I don't believe that you run consistantly off of 16 land, and why are they not real duals!?

herbig
10-23-2006, 06:09 PM
This deck needs Coalition Victory. Mistform Ultimus is a 3/3 beater that gets all of the sliver bonuses. And Shock, for those meddling Mages.

scrumdogg
10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Assuming this isn't a joke, the Rav duals are there because he (she? it? they?) is probably a newer player. You can get Rav duals everywhere, play them everywhere, and get them in packs/drafts. Welcome to The Source, you should probably read the posting guidelines & work on the spelling, punctuation, etc before you get mod-slapped & mocked by the forum Nazis. Interesting looking deck but what do you play against? I am amazed that you get the mana you need, then keep that mana (no Wastelands/Sinkholes/ Ghost Quarters?) and THEN are able to do anything useful in a relevant amount of time. Looks like fun in a casual multiplayer game, but I suggest downloading MWS (Magic Workstation) and playing this 1 on 1. You are in for a nasty surprise, I'm afraid.

Deck suggestions: Survival of the Fittest is a fine idea in a deck full of silver bullets, although that might stress your manabase even further into ruin... Running all green based duals & a couple basics is a way around that. I see that you are trying to do much the same thing with Sliver Overlords but a couple of points 2cc > 5cc (especially GURWB) & avoiding creature removal for your engine seems good (you finally get Overlord, they tap W and STP it or cast Wrath or just win...). On the same note, Aether Vial could be some good here, even with your varied CCs as you could drop stuff all along your curve, much of which should be 2-4 anyway. As nice as you are to them, some slivers are more equal than others...Muscle Sliver as anything less than a 4 of seems bad. A number of others have enough effect to warrant multiple copies as well - Crystalline & Winged especially. You have 5 colors but no gold slivers, why is that?

Iranon
10-23-2006, 07:41 PM
This place mostly caters to people interested in competitive Legacy decks; by the look of your list I assume you haven't played against tournament-worthy decks yet. There are a few things to consider about Legacy:

The format is quite fast. Most combo decks will kill you by turn 4 more often than not (and this refers to the ones that are built for reliability instead of sheer speed). If you can't race that, you will need some control or disruption tools. Several widely played aggro decks can be just as fast if you let them.

Mana denial is all over the place. Rarely as a primary strategy, but almost any deck that can afford the strain on its colour base is running Wastelands. This makes the combination of nonbasic lands + land enchantments almost completely unviable.

Competitive Legacy decks are reliable. Even a bad to average draw should do something relevant quickly; under no circumstances should you run a long list of 1-ofs unless you have a very good reason. One would be a tutor engine like the already mentioned Survival of the Fittest, another would be that multiples are intrinsically bad (Plague Sliver for example).

If you know someone with actual Legacy experience, ask them to pilot a few competitive decks against you - it should be an eye opener.

It might seem discouraging at first, needing to let go of most 'interesting' things you want your deck to do, but building a lean mean killing machine under the tighter requirements is rewarding too. And playing them is a lot less painful.

Pinder
10-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Great Sliver deck! No wait, I'm lying.

Honestly, keep it to 3 colors (or 3 with a splash) if you want it to be even remotely viable. And you'll probably have to cut down to just 60 cards, and take out a lot of the overcosted bad stuff. Once you're finished, it should look something like this (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4404), or possibly this (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4466)

On a parting note, I hope to dear god you're joking. Welcome to the Source.