PDA

View Full Version : Trinisphere + Suspended Cards???

Raider Bob
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Lotus Blossum suspends for 0 when it is suspended it does not use the stack and you can not 'counter' the spell as a reult. Does trinisphere adjust the suspend cost? OR When the time counters come off the suspended spell do you have to pay three to have the spell come into play? OR Does suspend get around Trinisphere? This probably has to do with how suspended card rules are written but I would like some rules lawyer to shoot me the awnser.

tivadar
10-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Suspend reads "when you remove the last suspend counter, you may play...", removing the card for suspending it is an activated ability, so trinisphere doesn't effect it. However, on resolution, a suspended spell will cost 3 to play.

Raider Bob
10-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Well thats not ecactly how the spell is worded but it is similar.

(Ratherthan play this card from your hand, pay (X) and remove it from the game with (Time #) time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter, When you remove the last, play it without paying its mana cost.)

There is no May involved, the wording puts the spell into play at 0 cost, Trinisphere does not actually counter a spell the basic question is still relevant since the spell is coming into play and you have no choice but to have it happen. IE if I play Wheel of Fate and then an armageddon resolves before it removes the last time counter, the spell will still happen I can not pay 3 no should I have too.

Rastadon
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
I think that the Suspend cost remains the same, because that's a static ability. But if you have to pay 3 to FoW under a Trini, you have to pay 3 under a trini for Suspended cards

tivadar
10-25-2006, 12:24 AM
There is no May involved

409.1. Playing a spell or activated ability follows the steps listed below, in order. If, at any point during the playing of a spell or ability, a player is unable to comply with any of the steps listed below, the spell was played illegally; the game returns to the moment before that spell or ability was played (see rule 422, “Handling Illegal Actions”). Announcements and payments can’t be altered after they’ve been made.

So here's my guess... "Moment" is rather vague here, but one of two things HAS to happen. Assuming the player CAN pay for the spell, they MUST pay for it, as they are able to comply with paying the cost. If they CANNOT pay the cost, the game will revert to the "moment before that spell or ability was played". If this refers to before the triggered ability resolved (which seems likely), then this implies an infinite loop and a draw. If it refers to during the resolution of that trigger, then the spell simply will not happen.

Honestly, this is a REALLY good question.

on1y0ne
10-25-2006, 05:45 AM
The key here is that you "Play" the card. Since Trinisphere references playing a card with mana cost less than three, it would, indeed, cost you three mana to play the suspended Lotus after you remove the last time counter.

If you cannot pay the costs to play a card that is suspended when you remove the last time counter, then the card does not get played, and remains in the RFG zone.

Cait_Sith
10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
I am working on a deck to abuse this principle, along with Sphere of Resistance and maybe some Land Destruction. L2 Judges FTW!

quicksilver
10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
I am working on a deck to abuse this principle, along with Sphere of Resistance and maybe some Land Destruction. L2 Judges FTW!

How would a deck like that work. Essentailly you would have to be playing against a deck with suspened for it to have a positive interaction, and last time I checked not too many people are playing suspened decks.

Cait_Sith
10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
I'll post a thread explaining how the deck works. My first test went badly since I forgot to include any spot removal... At all.

dahcmai
11-01-2006, 12:43 AM
Isn't there something about this under the rules for Suspend itself? I remember something about if there are additional costs to pay and they can't be paid it will remain in the RFG zone but you lost the chance to pay for it later.

Cait_Sith
11-01-2006, 07:36 AM
Correct, it must be played the moment all the suspend counter run out. That is why my deck failed with Trinisphere, as least it was designed then, just too much mana cost.