PDA

View Full Version : MWS Server!

herbig
10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I put up a server since my computer is always online and I'm getting sick of playing against horrible players on workstation.

Check it out. Let me know how well it works, if enough people decide to play there we can always have someone decent to play against. Don't post this on other boards though.

Edit: Unfortunately, my campus blocks outside connections. This is the same reason I can't connect on AIM. I will figure out how to work around this and get back to you.

Edit 2: Does anyone know a way to run .exe files in unix? If not, someone without dumb campus restrictions should maintain a server.

Ebinsugewa
10-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Edit 2: Does anyone know a way to run .exe files in unix? If not, someone without dumb campus restrictions should maintain a server.

Have you tried WINE? I've never had to use it, but I think this is the sort of stuff it's supposed to come in handy for.

Alfred
10-27-2006, 10:17 AM
This would be great! And please, please, please don't tell other boards about this, because I don't feel like playing against people I don't know. My testing partner isn't online a whole lot, so this would be great for testing legacy decks.

Jaynel
10-27-2006, 04:11 PM
I tried to get on the other day, it just wouldn't connect. I wish I could help, yet I have no idea how to do that kind of stuff.

Atwa
10-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Me and a friend of mine tried to play Diablo 2 with each other, while we got the same trouble of not being able to connect.

The sollution we found is to use a program which sets up a network extenaly of the regulair internet. We used hamachi: http://www.hamachi.cc/

If everyone who wants to join Herbig's server (and Herbid too of course) has this program running, it shouldn't be a problem. Note that hamachi gives you another IP when you've logged in. We can also secure the network with a password only we know, so noone can get on uninvited.

I can set up a server on hamachi if someone wants to try this, servername will be 'mtgthesource', password will be 'legacy'

edgewalker
10-28-2006, 04:59 PM
How do we get premium access to talk?

Silverdragon
10-28-2006, 09:45 PM
In the past we had a thread where everyone could post their nicks for mws and when they were usually on so you could more easily find someone who wasn't a complete idiot to play with.
Most of the time the problem with these private servers is that there are not enough people showing up on a regular basis. Does anybody ever visit our irc channel?
Unless there's really big support behind this my guess is that it will be forgotten sooner than later. Anyway I've downloaded hamachi and hope to see some of you soon to play some mws games.

herbig
10-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Hamachi shouldn't be necessary. The problem is that my campus blocks access from off campus to certain things. I'll set up a server next time I go home, but that might be awhile.

cdr
10-28-2006, 11:16 PM
It'd be nice if the MWS guys would just release the server source already so it could be ported.

They said "after 1.0", which will be approx never.