PDA

View Full Version : Legacy in Raliegh NC

UrDraco
10-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Hello, I will be moving to Raleigh in January and I was just wondering what tournaments are held in the area. I am getting a job someone in the Research Triangle Park if that helps with where I am going to be.

Thank you in advance.

Machinus
10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
To the best of my knowledge there are very few Legacy players in Raleigh. The closest tournaments are at least 20 minutes away and very shitty. So, basically 1.5 sucks here. However, you can probably find people to carpool to D4D and the GP with.

Slag
10-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Oh, lighten up, Chris. Draco, there's a legacy tournement in Hillsborough on Friday nights at 7:00. The entry fee is $8.00, straight swiss, with packs to the top 3-4. Granted, most of the decks there are undeveloped for legacy, but there are usually one or two real decks. The more devoted legacy players we get going, the better the tournements will be. Regardless, it's a friendly atmosphere and the tournement is held consistantly. And, if you're interested just in playtesting, I'm always game, and there are probably other people around you can connect with.

UrDraco
10-26-2006, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the info. Here in San Diego Legacy is pretty cutthroat as you may already know, will be nice to get away from that. I will pst again once I move there so that way I don't feel as lost when I show up to the comic shop. How is the rest of the Magic scene in that area, draft, T2 etc...?

Slag
10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
The same store has a type 2 (or occasionally draft) tournement at the same time as the legacy tourny. The type 2 tournement is a little more competitive, as the majority of players are playing top tier decks. You could probably find FNM at other stores closer to Raleigh, though.

Firebrothers
10-26-2006, 09:20 PM
my buddy John Hinkly lives in Cary which is just outside of Raleigh. All he plays is Legacy. He says that the magic sucks there though. There was this one store called the fallen orc or something. it was pretty cool but it got shut down.

Machinus
03-28-2007, 11:35 PM
If anyone knows of any Legacy in or around downtown Raleigh, I would be very interested, even if it is very small. I need to have regular local tournaments again, I am going compeltely nuts.

How many players live in the Raleigh area anyway, and where do you live?

Slag
03-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Talk to Marsh, and his little circle of magic friends. He plays legacy sporadically, and he has three friends that are planning on going to the GP, so they must be testing a lot.

UrDraco
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Hello all,

I went to the tournament in Hillsborough last frtiday and it was very chill and fun. It would be nice if we could get everyone on here together and maybe have larger tournaments somewhere. I just don't like having to be afriad of the 1/2 hour drive no being worth it because 8 people didn't show up. Maybe if there was somewhere that held a Legacy on saturday or sunday every other weekend. Having it on the weekend means people who work could go, and having it less frequently means the people that can't/don't show up that often are more likely to show up.

[edit] btw: Slag are you Palmer or Tie-die shirt guy, if so hello, if not sorry. Oh, and who are Marsh and there friends because I might like to test for the GP.

Machinus
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I'd do anything if it was in Raleigh. Driving to hillsborough to play against elves is pretty lame. Being unreliable and winning packs isn't great either.

Slag
03-29-2007, 03:45 PM
I am Palmer, who was wearing the tie-dyed t-shirt. We were glad to have you last Friday, and those were some good matches. I am also wary of having to make the trip and miss out on playing because of poor attendance. It's impossible to know until right before the tournament starts, which is a bummer. So, we can either all agree attend before hand, so we know we'll have enough people, or we can organize other tournaments outside the store to better suit the players' needs, or you can pack a type 2 deck just in case.
Now, about testing. I don't want to give out marsh's info without asking him first, but if you PM me your number, I can have him call you. Marsh and I test together frequently, and he's a good person to play with. His friends are pretty serious magic players, too, from what I can tell. Also, I pretty much always show up to the tournament at Hillsborough, so if you want to test regardless of the tournament, I'll be there.

Also, I'm planning on going to the GP, and am looking to coordinate rides, if you're interested.

UrDraco
03-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Hello Palmer.

Well, if anything we should figure out how many people there are in the area willing to play Legacy. If closer to Raleigh is better then I am sure any Comic shop would be willing to host assuming they make some profit and we can provide the people. Ask people you know and see how interested they would be and what they would need for the tournament to be worthwhile (like prize pool/entry fee etc.). If anything we could just have a shop host 1-4 tourny's just for the GP. I will see if I can find anyone on other sites that is looking to play in Raleigh/Durham/RTP.

Machinus
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Organize something in Raleigh and you will get to play against me! (dont get too angry palmer)

Slag
03-29-2007, 08:59 PM
I've got four pyroclasms with your name on them, Chris ;)

Theagent002
04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
This is Marsh, what's up Palmer. I am excited about the GP, we should test. Whoever posted about getting together, that's cool. Just write back. I have a few new ideas I need to try out.

Later on,

Theagent002

The Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
So I noticed that there was a Trial in Durham this past weekend... did anyone go? If so, how was the turnout and who took home 3 round byes?

Also, if the Legacy scene is starting up in this area, I'll be moving down there during the summer and would love to have a place to play.

Peace

P.S. Palmer, you may remember me... we played one another at day one of the Duel for Duals this past fall. I was playing Iggy Pop and you hosed me with every sort of hate imaginable in your Angel Stompy deck.

Slag
04-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Hey, Cisco, I remember that match well. And if it makes you feel any better, those true believers main came back to bite me versus gobs. I hear that UrDraco was in the finals of the GPT versus some other guy, but I wasn't there personally, so I don't know the outcome.
As for legacy in the area, we're trying to get things rolling. At the very least, there are several people here to test with, and there's the tournement in Hillsborogh. Keep us updated on when you're moving down here.

UrDraco
04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
I did make it to the finals of the tournament and won it. I was playing against Angel Stompy. Lost the first game then went on to win the next two. Sadly there were only 13 people at the tournament. 4 rounds swiss with a cut to top8, extremely small relative to my old normal of 35-50 each week in San Diego.

Machinus
04-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I did make it to the finals of the tournament and won it. I was playing against Angel Stompy. Lost the first game then went on to win the next two. Sadly there were only 13 people at the tournament. 4 rounds swiss with a cut to top8, extremely small relative to my old normal of 35-50 each week in San Diego.

http://resources.wizards.com/Magic/Cards/UZ/en-us/Card5564.jpg

chmoddity
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
So I noticed that there was a Trial in Durham this past weekend... did anyone go?No. Nobody went. This is the kind of crap that bugs me. We want to get more support but when it is available nobody shows.

Slag
04-20-2007, 04:24 PM
No. Nobody went. This is the kind of crap that bugs me. We want to get more support but when it is available nobody shows.

That's the big conundrum at this point. People are afraid to go to the tournements because no one will show up, so no one shows up.