PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Eudemonia Legacy tournament, Oct. 29

throst54
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Here is the Deck I ran yesterday at the legacy tourney at Eudemonia (berkeley, CA). Out of 21 people, after 5 rounds of Swiss with cut to top 4, I came in 5th.
I stayed up the night before testing Red Death... and it just didnt do well enough against goblins to merit running it... esp. as last tourney there were about 7-10 people playing them. So I stayed up till 6 w/ my friend Sam after working on his Blue Angel Stompy working ona deck for me. The last two tourneys i played a Dirt/Truffle Shuffle deck with little to no sucess.
I built the deck and then fell asleep in my chair telling my friend I needed to playtest against goblins...
Anyhow we woke up late. Sam and I went and got our friend Matt on our way. Both of 'em played Aggro_Zombies at some point during the day.
We ended up being 1/2 an hour late.. but when we called to tell them we would be we were informed that the tourney director wasnt even there yet...

Dirty Deeds!

Control & Removal:
4 Hymn to Tourach
4 Pernicious Deed
4 Vindicate
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Funeral Charm
1 Ghastly Demise

Creatures:
4 Loxodon Hierarch
3 Sakura-Tribe Elder
2 Eternal Dragon
2 Gigapede

Utility:
3 Sensei's Divining Top
3 Living Wish

Land:
3 Bloodstained Mire
3 Windswept Heath
2 Savannah
3 Bayou
4 Scrubland
1 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Forest

Sideboard:
3 Persecute
2 Nevinyrral's Disk
2 Withered Wretch
1 Harmonic Sliver
4 Glowrider
2 Bane of the Living
1 Grave-Shell Scarab

Round 1 - Galen playing Solidarity

This is a really bad matchup for me, esp preboard. It gets better after boarding, but still isnt fun.

Game 1
I didnt know what he was playing, though i knew last tourney he played solidarity and that he wanted something new for this tourney. So i kept a hand w/ 2 StP, land, Funeral Charm, and Gigapede. He apparently didnt get the cards he needed for the new deck.
'pede smashed face and took him down to 4 life, where he proceeded to combo off... which took him a very long time... he thought i was playing gaea's blessing.

SB
-4 StP
-4 Deed
-1 Ghastly Demise
-3 Living Wish

+4 Glowrider
+2 Withered Wretch
+2 Bane of the Living
+1 Grave-Shell Scarab
+3 Persecute

Game 2
He mulls to 5 cards, but it wouldnt have mattered, first turn Top followed by turn 2 and 3 Hymns into a turn Hierarch for beats. I have a persecute in hand and cast funeral charm a couple of times.

Game 3
I keep a hand w/ 3 lands, top, STE, hierach, and glowrider.
T1 top, t2 STE which gets remanded... gah, t3 i cast glowrider, he responds with double opt and a brainstorm and Forces it... pitching a force.
Turn 4 find a hymn, he meditates in response and it goes though. i drop STE, hierach and vindicate an island at some point
turn 6 i find a persecute, but he finds another force.
T7 drop a pede and vindicate another island again.
Time gets called at some point and we go into extra rounds...
My last turn i start using all the shuffle effects i can w/ top to look for a funeral charm to get the last 2 damage i need to kill him... but alas game ends in a tie... with him at 2 life.

Record: 0-0-1

In retrospect, I should have conceeded the first game after he started going off and we'd have been able to finish the game. This is what kept me from getting in the top 4.

Round 2 Sam playing Faerie Stompy

To say the absolute least... i hate Faerie stompy. It's done cruel things to me in the past...

Game 1
I have a bunch of removal in hand, a top and a gigapede.
Turn 1 top, turn 2 STE, turn 3 active top, He missed his land drop last turn so i vindicate a land.
Turn 5 Drop a gigapede... he takes a while to read it then casts cloud of faeries on his turn.
T6 stp faeries, drop another 'pede and he concedes

-3 Funeral Charm
+3 Persecute

Game 2
I keep a slow hand, and start hymning his hand, he starts droping faeries and efreets, I deed them all away turn 5 at 5 life. Hes no cards in hand, and i've got a persecute and hymn, i play a hierach and start the beats. He plays some blockers but i StP 'em and drop another deed.

Record 1-0-1

Round 3 Daniel playing BW confidant... looked like clasic pikula

I stp/funeral charm his confidants, he gets me down to 13 before i recover from discard w/ the top and empty his hand. I drop a deed to take out his creatures and find a hierarch. I Funeral charm the hierach for the last 6 dmg. His next card was a vindicate too... hehe

-3 Wish
-1 Ghastly Demise
+3 Persecute
+1 Grave-Shell Scarab
(in retrospect... this was stupid.. and almost cost me the game... it should have been
+2 Bane of the Living
+2 Nev Disk )

Game 2

I get a top and a STE down, and he starts hymning and killing my land. The only lands i get are either Windswept Heath and duals... He drew all 4 of his wastelands this game. I never get black mana.
He drops a specter and i startdiscarding a lot of stuff.
I get a plains w/ the STE and drop a hierach, and start digging for a StP w/ the top... dont find it. He StPs my hierarch and i goto 24.
I find another Hierach. We start attacking back and forth, 4 dmg to each other a round, until he realizes that i'll kill him first (just barely). I attack into his specter, and we trade after cursed scroll activates.
At this point everyone is standing around the table watching as we're the last 2 people playing...
I use the top to get 2 funeral charms to make him discard in response to activation of cursed Scroll. a couple turns go by w/o anyone doing anythign relevant.
At this point i still have no black mana and a persecute and hymn in hand.
I Find a living wish and get back my StP'd hierach.
His turn he Drops a confidant, hits me w/ scroll them hymns away my hand.

I attack into his confidant... I didnt want him to draw. So hierarch trade w/ scroll and creature again.

He Drops a Nantuko shade, i find nothing on my turn, he attacks and then pumps- in response i activate top, nothing... sac a fetch land and then activate top again... draw a StP and get rid of the shade.

I find a Gigapede w/ top and start smashing face with Deed backup.

Record: 2-0-1

Round 4 against Christian playing Burn

crap.

Game 1
Long story short... i draw no disruption, but i get 2 Hierarchs down and get him to 2.. but then.. he topdecks burn w/ me at 2... oh well.

-1 StP
-4 deed
-1 ghastly demise
-1 Loxodon hierarch

+4 true believer
+3 Persecute

Game 2
turn 1 funeral charm, turn 2 wish, turn 3 hymn, turn 4 vindicate on Sufuric Vortex, turn 5 hierach, turn 6 gigapde, turn 7 StP on hierarch and something else (top?), turn 8 hierarch

Game 3
I have to mulligan 2 times... horrible.. i get stuck at 2 lands... with a hierarch, wish and StP in hand... after already casting 2 hymns and a charm.
This one was very winnable...

Record 2-1-1

Round 5 against Micheal playing faerie stompy

Game 1
I have 3 pieces of removal, top, land and something else in hand.
He gets a first turn chalice @ 1 down. He plays creatures and starts smashing face while i find a deed then play a top after blowing it.
I drop 2 Hierachs, and Ghastly Demise his Sea Drake equipped w/ SoFi.
the got one of the best WTF faces ever... i proceeded to smash face w/ the hierachs while StPing blockers.

Game 2
i get a top down first turn, he gets a chalice at 1 and faeries down on his 2nd turn.
he starts dropping a lot of threats. My vindicate on Chalice gets forced, i go down to 8 life before casting and blowing a deed.

I drop a Gigapede w/ me at 8 and him at 14. He hits me w/ a faerie w/ SoFi, next turn i ghastly demise it and smash face.

Record: 3-1-1

I ended up getting 5th. If i had just conceeded that first game against solidarity i could have won the round and gone to top 4. I didnt stay around to see who won, but in top 4 there was burn, Spox/loam/Seismic Assault, Loam Slide, and goblins. I know i would have won against both the loam decks withered wretch>LftL. Both the decks clocks were so slow that it wouldnt have mattered how long it took me. Goblins wouldnt have been a bad matchup... and burn.. well i wouldnt be paired against him until top2..

So, i could have gotten first, but if i had conceeded that first game i'd probably have gotten 2nd or 3rd.

Props:
-To IBA and Finn... for inspiration
-Gigapede, for smashing face!
-Eudemonia, for starting the tourney late for us
-Sam, for not letting me play Red Death
-Aggro_Zombies and me, for being at table 1 round 4... not table 12
-Snikers with Almonds!!!

Slops:
-For boarding crappy
-That ebay guy not mailing my FoWs on time so i could play thresh
-sam... for wanting to play greater garagon
-me, for not conceeding my first game against solidarity

Aggro_zombies
10-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Dude, you stole my post title. ^_^ Congrats on the fifth place finish, by the way. Any idea who took top four?

throst54
10-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Yes, yes I did... I'm lazy.

Christian playing Burn lost to goblins... he got stuck on 1 land... and only had 2cc spells in his hand.. he had the guy down to 1 life too.

The top four was
Burn
Goblins (w splash)
Loam/Spox
Astral Slide (i... i dont know)

Though I dont know who won. The loam decks were on thier first game when we left... its very likely that Astral Slide lost due to decking themself... they had been playing a long time and life totals were around 20-15 and the loam guy had just wished for a 2nd Gaea's Blessing and then dredged one into his yard and reshuffled.

Aggro_zombies
10-30-2006, 06:32 PM
The Astral Slide guy made it to the top four?! What the hell...I want to see his list now, although I know he was playing WGB Slide, which is unusual.

Kronicler
10-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Nice report man. BTW, this is Sam, the Faerie Stompy player. I would have loved to have drawn a bit better hands such that we could have had better games but what can I say... yesterday seemed to just be my bad luck day in general (mulled 3 times in one game down to FOUR because none of my previous hands had ANY mana sources with 21 sources in the deck... wtf?!). Hopefully I'll see you on a friday night and we can play again or the next legacy tournament. Sucks that you took 5th, better luck next time to both of us I hope :-).

-Sam

throst54
10-30-2006, 10:24 PM
I live about 45 minutes out, so we generally only come up for tournies. But PM me if you wanna playtest on MWS or something, I've got a deck or two to test out.