PDA

View Full Version : [Report] Dutch Open - Crazy SHtuff wins!

Peter_Rotten
10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Check out this craziness! Also note the top8 list towards the end of the post.

Ripped from TMC originally posted by 49cents

I’m a Vintage player by heart. I love extended and standard, but I’m a vintage player. I used to like legacy, but that all changed after GP: Lille (I went like 1-3), and I never played the format again. But we have a series of tourney’s in Holland, which most of the time are just vintage tourneys, but now they organized a legacy tourney. Now that sucked, because I was #1 in their competition (getting extra prizes at the end of the year), and I didn’t knew anything about legacy. After some scouting I really liked Nassif’s Confinement list, so I simply played his list (I tweaked it a little, fitting in Nantuko Monasteries) to a 4-0-2 finish. I was really unimpressed with the deck, and I knew I didn’t want to play it again. I did, however, really liked Confinements and really really liked Life from the Loam..

Now some time ago, we made this very cool list for Vintage, playing with Life from the Loams, Terravores and Bazaars. A friend and team member of mine, Ronald Groenstege, started playing with basically that deck, only making it legacy legal. Now it was basically a port from the extended deck Aggro Loam, which is/was the best deck. We tweaked it around al little, because I wanted to play it at the Open Dutch Champs which was in 1 week.

We bought and borrowed extra copies of cards in the deck, because we couldn’t both play it. I met with Ronald on Sunday morning in Eindhoven, giving him his copy of the deck. This is the list we played:

The Dutch Connection’s ‘TerraGeddon’

// Creatures
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Werebear
4 Terravore
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Eternal Witness
1 Genesis

// Spells
4 Armageddon
4 Swords to Plowshares
4 Life from the Loam
3 Solitary Confinement

// Lands
4 Tranquil Thicket
2 Secluded Steppe
1 Nantuko Monastery
3 Wasteland
4 Windswept Heath
3 Forest
1 Plains
4 Savannah
3 Wooded Foothills

// Sideboard
4 Tivadar’s Crusade
4 Null Rod
3 Krosan Grip
2 Loxodon Hierarch
2 Last Breath

The deck is a force. It features a maindeck hardlock with Confinement-Loam/Genesis, which a lot of decks simply can’t beat game 1. I think I won 4 or 5 game ones simply by dropping a Confinement with a Life and a cycleland. I boarded them out in almost every matchup, because they get so much worse game 2, but that doesn’t matter because their Disenchants become useless. The fact that you can simply win by Wastelanding every turn is also very good. I expected a lot of Goblins, since that is the best deck, so I packed 4 Crusades. The plan was to win game 1 by dropping a Confinement, and win game 3 because you have 4 onesided WoG’s. A funny fact was that you almost can’t win a game 2 when you are on the draw, because the Crusade is to slow. The Null Rods are here to fight Crypt and Combo. The Grip is amazing, because it removes Crypts, Deeds and Crucibles. Last Breath was our amazing tech, because it simply is STP 5-6, which also removes Meddling Mage naming Life from the Loam.

The attendance was 132 players, and that meant 8 rounds of Swiss with a cut to top 8. Prices for top 16.

On to the report:

Round 1: Niels? playing Angel Stompy

Game 1: A really close game, because I thought he was playing mono white stompy or something (I see only plains). I have a Terravore and a Werebear out and play Armageddon, and he plows the ‘Vore in response. I still have the Bear and I ride it to victory.

I board Hierarchs and Last Breaths for 3 Confinements and a Armageddon I think.

Game 2: Shit. I didn’t realize he played Angel Stompy, because I didn’t see any Tombs or Jittes game 1. This game he has a turn 2 Jitte which just wins the game for him.

I board in Grips and Rods.

Game 3 goes to time, because he gets me very low, but I dredge Genesis and start recurring Terravores. He morphes a creature with 3 lands and a Jitte in play, and I play a second 8/8 ‘Vore. He doesn’t draw a 4th land to unmorph his Angel and I take the game in turn 3 of the extra time.

2-1, 1-0

Ronald won his match 2-0.

Round 2: Rik playing RW Goblins

We introduce and I tell him I know he’s playing Goblins. I didn’t see him play in round 1 or something, but I just know. He looks at me funny and simply shuffles up.

Game 1: He mulligans to 5 (And I ask him ‘no turn 1 Lackeys?) and opens up with.. a Mogg Fanatic. We both start laughing. He kills my Elf and I have a Mongrel. He makes sure he doesn’t attack into it because I am Loaming every turn. I see he has maindeck Disenchants thanks to his Ringleader, so I can’t just drop Confinement and win. I plow some of his creatures with the help of a pair of Eternal Witnesses and win with a 18/18 Terravore, which is actually bigger than a Piley..

In come the Crusades, Hierarchs and Last Breaths, out go the ‘Geddons, 1 Werebear and 3 Confinements

Game 2: He has a turn 1 Lackey and I have the Elf to block it, but he kills it with a Fanatic. Warchief Ringleader Piledriver bla bla bla. He kills me on turn 5, with no Crusades for me.

Game 3: I think I plowed 4 times and removed his entire board 3 times. This was thanks to a Genesis and some Witnesses that kept dying because I blocked with them. The match went to time, but I don’t care because 20/20 Terravores only take a single turn. I said VoreS, because I had 2. 3 mana 20/20 guys are pretty good, I hear.

2-1, 2-0

Round 3: Bas playing.. RG Goblins!

Game 1: I win the roll and have a Mongrel to answer his Lackey. I make more blockers, and eventually attack with the Mongrel when he is outtapped (3 lands, one Taiga). I want to write down damage but I can tell he wants to play a card in his hand, but eventually does not. This makes me believe he has Pyrokinesis maindeck and no Naturalizes. The next turn I drop Confinement with a Cycleland and a Loam, and he scoops.

In come the Crusades, Hierarchs and Last Breaths, out go the ‘Geddons, 1 Werebear and 3 Confinements (again).

Game 2: He has a turn 1 Lackey that is unanswered. He then plays a lot of Goblins, and I have 3 lands and a Tivadar’s Crusade but he keeps tapping one of them with his Port. I don’t draw another land or a Loam, so I can’t play Crusade. I lost that game a turn later with Matron-Piley-Piley action.

Game 3: My notes say that his life total went 20-24-26-28-30-7-0. This was due to multiple Swords and Last Breaths, keeping him very low on Goblins. And when he tried to make a comeback, I simply played a Tivadar’s Crusade and attacked with a 23/23 Terravore. While this didn’t kill him, the next swing did and he scoops up his cards.

2-1, 3-0

Ronald is now 1-1-1.

Round 4: Marco (a German) with Confidant-Affinity.

Game 1: He keeps a hand with no artifact land, just two Nexuses. He attacks with them a few times before I get a Confinement out, and he just scoops.

I board 4 Null Rods, 3 Krosan Grip and 2 Last Breath for 4 Armageddon and 5 ‘other’ cards. I have no idea which they were.

Game 2: He kills me on turn 4 with double Disciple + Plating and Ravager. I didn’t draw a StP or a Rod.

Game 3: I make blockers, Sword some creatures (with the help of a Witness) and eventually get out a 12/12 ‘Vore. He blocks and tries to double Shrapnel Blast it, but he forgets that the Terravore counts the lands in ALL graveyards, so he 4-for-0’d himself. I win that game.

2-1, 4-0

It’s going good so far

Round 5: Wim Helder with 4c Landstill

I know Wim from other (vintage) tourneys, so we are not too tensed. I know he is playing 4c Landstill because someone told me, and because I know he kills with manland I am very confident with my Wastelands and Life from the Loams.

Game 1: I open up with a couple of werebears, which quickly become 4/4 with a little help from a LftL when he is outtapped. I attack him for 12 with the Bears and a Monestary, and he pops a Deed for the Bears. The Monestary gets in once more before getting plowed, and I Armageddon all lands while keeping an Elf and a Land. I soon dredge a Genesis into the biggest Terravore I had all day, which wins the game for me. I believe it was over 30/30..

I SB 3 Krosan Grips and 2 Hierarchs (Regenerate if he has a Deed) for 3 Confinements and 2 Plows or something.

Game 2: I can’t lose this matchup. I really can’t. This game was more of the same, only my Elf did 9 damage to him. He Plows a 17/17 Terravore, putting me on 35 life. Now I REALLY can’t lose. I Grip a Crucible when he casts it and attack his mana for the win. He only played a single Basic Land, hehe.

2-0, 5-0

This feels really good. I have to win one of my last 3 matches in order to t8.

Round 6: ??? (a German) with UGR *****.

Game 1: He gets out Nimble Mongoose and quickly makes it 3/3. My Mongrels and Werebears keep getting Burned or countered, but I dredge a Genesis and bait with a Werebear like 3 times. Counter, Counter, till his hand is empty. He drew a lot with Predict tricks, but I guessed correctly that he didn’t have another counter. I went for the Confinement and he just scooped.

I board very very wrong. I kept him really low on lands and mana, so I just thought he played 4c *****. I boarded Rods and Last Breaths, which where awful because he played with.. Loaming Shaman.

Game 2: I draw like 3 of my (dead) SB cards. I lose the game to double Burning-Tree Shaman, double Werebear and a Loaming Shaman that makes my Bears really small.

I board the Hierarchs and the Confinements back in (for the Loaming Shaman).

We shuffle up and suddenly he starts caring about my sleeves. Rather than just cutting, he pileshuffles my deck and notes that 2 of my sleeves look a little different. We call over a judge, and after some time he calls me over. He tells me that the sleeves were indeed different, and that they contain my 2 Hierarchs.. I get a matchloss for this. Now that REALLY sucks, because I would SO have won the match in game 3. I go on tilt, because the round is long over and I have to go buy different sleeves. I run to the dealer and buy sleeves. I get back and.. the sleeves are CLEAR. Shit shit shit! I run back and make the switch between the clear and the dark sleeves, and when I run back there are like 5 of my good friends sitting ready to sleeve the deck for me. They do this in like 1 minute. Thank you guys very much for this, it really meant a lot to me.

The pairings are up, and while I still am a bit on tilt, I walk to my table only to play.. against Mark!

*MATCHLOSS*, 5-1

Round 7: Mark with Salvager/Gamekeeper.

Game 1: I know Mark, I know what he is playing, and it sucks we have to play each other. I win the roll and open up with an Elf. I realize I have to resolve an Armageddon and kill him really fast. I play a turn 2 Mongrel, and in my upkeep I discard a Life, dredge it, discard it again, play a Terravore and discard some lands to the Mongrel. I can kill him next turn, with double dredge the Loam, but it doesn’t help because he rituals into a Salvager with a LED and a Chromatic Star on the table..

I Side 4 Null Rods and 2 Last Breaths for 3 Confinements and 3 Werebear?

Game 2: I open up with an Elf, and he nukes my entire hand with multiple Duress and Therapies. I have a Life, so I start dredging and cycling. I get out a Null Rod, which hurt him a lot. I nuke all his lands with a ‘Geddon and then play a Nantoku Monastery and start bashing a turn later. I waste all the lands I can, but by cycling basics he finds a living wish for a Wasteland which gives him one more turn.. But I draw another Armageddon and he scoops to Llanowar Elves beatdown. He tells me he had 4 Rituals in hand..

Okay, so getting a Null Rod out is my main objective in this matchup. Next is nuking his lands. I have to keep Swords online, so he can’t randomly combo out on me, so I have 6 in the deck.

Game 3: He opens with a Duress and takes one of my Null Rods. The other one sticks. I start wasting his lands, and eventually he Wishes for a Viridian Shaman. I play my ‘Geddon at that point. A few turns later I Witness into another Null Rod, and the Witness and a Mongrel go all the way.

2-1, 6-1

I’m in! It really sucks I had to play against Mark, but at least I’m in!

Round 8: Christian "Windux" Wilczek (a German) with 3c Hanni Fish.

We I.D.

My dad goes for a Kabab run, and me and a friend of mine do some more testing against Affinity since that deck is most probably in the t8 as well. I can’t lose if I just resolve a Confinement.

Oh, and Ronald went 4-2-2. He lost 2 games because he only played 2 Basic land and 8 Cycleland, which is bad. He got Wasteland-locked..

Now something happens.. The t8 is announced, and Mark is in! Good news.

We go to the hotel where we are going to play the T8 because the location we played the Swiss is closing.. We have about 45 minutes, so some friends of mine had decided to draft. I chat with some other top-8’ers, when the head judge comes with some bad news. Due to an computer error or something, they had the wrong results. The number 8 isn’t Mark, it’s actually the guy they told he finished in 9th place.. Unfortunately, he has already left and we didn’t have his number. So what they did was to give Mark the prices the #8 would receive, but not let him play t8. This also meant that Patrick, the guy with the land destruction deck, got a bye in the T8.

The t8 was:

1 4c Landstill (Wim, my round 5 opponent, with only a single loss in the Swiss)
1 TerraGeddon
1 3c Hanni Fish
1 (Small) Pox
1 RW Goblins
1 Green Landdestruction
1 Affinity
1 Mono Black, this was the guy that had left.

And I had to play against.. Wim!

Top 8 – Quarters – Wim with 4c Landstill

I can’t lose this matchup.

Now I see his deck, I see there are 3 Sacred Grounds in his SB. I should be more careful with my Krosan Grips..

Game 1: I can’t lose this matchup. Damn. I am on the play and I draw the godhand: Fetch, Cycleland, Elf, Life, Wasteland, Werebear, Terravore. I can’t lose this matchup. I waste all his lands, drop a big Bear and eventually ride a Vore to victory. Once again, it becomes like 20/20. Still not a bad deal, for 3 mana.

I SB the usual: out go the Confinements and 2 Plows, in go the Hierarchs (in proper sleeves, that is) and the Grips.

Game 2: I can’t find a Wasteland with my LftL, so he gets out some lands. I bait a little with creatures, and when he FoW’s my LftL, I play an Armageddon. It resolves and I dredge Life into.. Wasteland. I can’t lose this matchup!
I can’t remember how I killed him. But I knew I did..

2-0, 7-1-1

Top 4 – Semi’s – Christian "Windux" Wilczek (German) with 3c Hanni Fish

Game 1: He gets the goddraw: turn 1 Mother of Runes, turn 2 Mage naming Life from the Loam, turn 3 Mage naming armageddon, turn 4 Confindant and Grunt. I have a Swords, but I can’t play it because of the Mother. I draw a Eternal Witness, and attempt to Plow the Mother, play Witness getting back StP, but the Witness gets countered.. I trashtalk the living ---- out of this match, and even the judge is trashtalking with me.. Christian: “I cast a Grunt”, Me & the tablejudge: “In soviet Russia..” He completely loses focus, or so it seems. I predict exactly what he has in hand, (“because I play poker”), and when I do this for the 10th time or so, he actually puts his glasses on the table because he thinks I can see the cards in the reflection or something, it was hilarious. It was like, “I’m walking straight into your Daze, but I have to because you also have a Counterspell you can cast next turn..” and he’d have exactly that.. “You are going to reveal FoW with Confidant”, and he did exactly that.. Anyways, I lost this game.

I SB Hierarchs and Last Breaths for 3 Confinements and 1 Werebear I think.

Game 2: I cast some Plows and attack his manabase, because he only plays like 17 lands. He stalls on lands, and while I keep Loaming I attack him with a Terravore and a Werebear. He plows the ‘Vore, but eventually dies to the Bear.

Game 3: He mulligans to 5. He starts with a Serum Visions, putting both cards on the bottom. I waste his land. He plays another Visions, keeping both cards on top. I play a Fetch. He plays a Mage naming Life, but I plow it. I then cast a Mongrel. He draws and says go. I waste his land, removing his countermana and Life my Fetch and 2 Wastes back. Eventually I resolve a very big Terravore and a couple of Werebears, while he only has an Engineered Explosives for 1, which can kill my Elf but nothing more.. I win.

2-1, 8-1-1

Finals: Rudie playing with 8Pox.dec

Game 1: we where both going into the matchup thinking it would be very hard for me to win. He had 8 Poxes, 4 Innocent Blood, Wastelands of his own, and 4 Spinning Darkness, 4 Funeral Charm and 4 Infest SB. Game 1, I get slaughtered. Unreal. I don’t know how to play the matchup, so I open with land-Elf. He smallpoxes them away. I try another land, and he simply plays a ‘real’ Pox. He discards a Nether Spirit and Wastelands my only land. I die soon afterwards..

I board Last Breaths and Null rods for 4 Armageddons. He kills with the Spirit and the 3 mana artifact that can become 3/3 if you tap all your lands, so removing his creatures felt like a good plan. I thought I also boarded in some Krosan Grips..

Game 2: I’m getting the hang of it. Rather than opening with an Elf, I keep it in hand and simply play my Cycleland. He Poxes them, but I don’t care. I get Hymn’ed, and he took my LftL. I play another land, and dredge Life to play it. I waste his Mishra’s Factory, but he still has the Spirit. It gets me down to 5 life, and I cast Terravore. I attack with it, and he uses Cabal Pit on it. He goes down to just 2, draws for his turn and scoops.

Game 3: Same thing as before. I open with Cycleland, which he destroys, but I make sure I keep at least 2 more lands in hand. I cast Life, which gets me my lands back, trying to keep up. He has one big turn in which he throws down his entire hand, playing Poxes and Discard, keeping him with only 2 lands and a Nether Spirit. I just Plow the Spirit, at which point I know I won the game since he has nothing and I have 3 creatures in hand. I dredge back my Life and play a big Terravore and my Elf, which I kept in hand. He draws and.. scoops!

I am teh winnar!

I get this amazing trophy that has 4 DCI promo’s in it, a Foil Regrowth and storecredit for winning. My friends made some pictures, but because Rudie was so big and I am so small, I stood on a chair.

It was an amazing tourney. Suddenly I actually like Legacy!

Props:
- My friends. The whole weekend was amazing. Great hanging with you guys.
- The judges. Great tourney, too bad about the matchloss and the 8th/9th spot..
- My opponents. Almost everybody was very nice and it was great playing against you.
- Ronald Groenstege. We made a great deck, Ronnie
- Kebab!

Slops:
- Matchlosses. I should check my sleeves. My fault.
- The food was expensive as hell!

This was my report. Don’t mind the grammar, I typed it in a hurry, because my exam week begins tomorrow.. Thanks for reading!

Greetz,

Hugo van Dijke

Peter_Rotten
10-31-2006, 06:07 PM
Stupid board being stupid again. Can anyone post in this thread?

Cait_Sith
10-31-2006, 06:23 PM
I only play Legacy and Type 2. Well back to the m4d skillz section of MtG!
Your deck is sick... And by sick I mean it through up all over the jank of the competition. And of behalf of Germany I would like to apologize for your jank-newb opponent who decided to become concerned with your deck AFTER it was obvious he was going to lose.

Lukas Preuss
11-01-2006, 08:18 AM
And of behalf of Germany I would like to apologize for your jank-newb opponent who decided to become concerned with your deck AFTER it was obvious he was going to lose.
Actually, the "jank-newb opponent" was Dennis Kampelmann, one of Germany's top Legacy players and member of the amazing team aYb. It was not him who noticed that the sleeves were marked, it was one of the bystanders, because obviously his deck used different sleeves for certain cards (I'm not sure, but I think one of the 'marked' cards was a Solitary Confinement). The headjudge was called and they made a deck check and decided that his sleeves were marked and he would get a game loss. If you don't want "jank-newb opponents" to become "concerned with your deck AFTER it is obvious" that they loose, don't fucking play different sleeves for certain cards in the first place. Dennis even apologized to him after he got the game loss.

I trashtalk the living ---- out of this match, and even the judge is trashtalking with me.. Christian: “I cast a Grunt”, Me & the tablejudge: “In soviet Russia..” He completely loses focus, or so it seems.
I think it was more like: The judge completely lost focus. I heard he was giggling the entire time and didn't even pay attention to the match. At one point he had to take a look at the notes Dennis took for Christian's report to even know how many life points each players had. Was this the same judge that made all kinds of misrulings throughout the day ("Humility makes Mishra's Factory 1/1" or "You can't cast Arrogant Wurm with LED", etc.)..?

Other than that, it was a great tournament, nice report. :)

Windux
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi, for it was like "ok you trashtalk until my ears bleed, but what the heek is this joke with Sovjet Union about?".
I mean, I trashtalked too, but just less. And the Judge was just a joke...
I defently could have told him, I made Mulligan to 6 and not to 5 and he would have believe me.....also a Judge should even TRY to be neutral.
A Judge who jokes about germans, just because they are germans is NOT professional.
It was just silly, what happen in the Top8.
They even had told me "You are a fucking german! Leave the tournament, you don't get anything here!".
Hugo himself is a nice and funny player, but the whole thing with the judges was just NOT ok.
Quarterfinals: pascal (a german) vs me (a german).
Each table had a tablejudge "Don't we get a table judge?" *No, sorry. if you want a judge, ask this guy there* and pointing on the Headjudge, who was focused on the Vendetta-Top8.
Is it MY job to organize a tablejudge after I asked a judge for that? defenetly NOT!

Just my 2 cent about the "Germans are fuck!"-Judge in the Top8.

PS: Don't forget about the "We got germans cards and you? look jotun Geiferer" *What? Gayfucker?* This was the best I heard this day :D

Mono-G
11-02-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi, for it was like "ok you trashtalk until my ears bleed, but what the heek is this joke with Sovjet Union about?".
I mean, I trashtalked too, but just less. And the Judge was just a joke...
I defently could have told him, I made Mulligan to 6 and not to 5 and he would have believe me.....also a Judge should even TRY to be neutral.
A Judge who jokes about germans, just because they are germans is NOT professional.
It was just silly, what happen in the Top8.
They even had told me "You are a fucking german! Leave the tournament, you don't get anything here!".
Hugo himself is a nice and funny player, but the whole thing with the judges was just NOT ok.
Quarterfinals: pascal (a german) vs me (a german).
Each table had a tablejudge "Don't we get a table judge?" *No, sorry. if you want a judge, ask this guy there* and pointing on the Headjudge, who was focused on the Vendetta-Top8.
Is it MY job to organize a tablejudge after I asked a judge for that? defenetly NOT!

Just my 2 cent about the "Germans are fuck!"-Judge in the Top8.

PS: Don't forget about the "We got germans cards and you? look jotun Geiferer" *What? Gayfucker?* This was the best I heard this day :D

I'm studying German here at Uni and some of my best freinds are German whereas i've never met a dutch person I actually like. Even my parents tell me the dutch are fucked up.

That Terravore deck is crazy, sexy, cool. I like it, terravore is a cool card.

Alex_Van_R
11-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Dutch people aren't bad. Germans aren't bad either. In Flanders, we laugh with the Dutch because of their accent of the language. (for those who don't know it, Belgium speaks Dutch as well.) We laugh with the Germans because of their accent as well. (German is one of the coolest languages to speak.)

(P.S.: as far as I heard from a few people I know, Hugo is gay (as in homosexual) himself. don't flame me if this isn't true)

Lukas Preuss
11-02-2006, 07:16 AM
I really liked the Dutch (and the Belgians, actually, I don't think I would have noticed a difference, because their accents sound the same to me)... this was one of the nicest tournaments I have ever been to. The atmosphere was amazing and every player I played had a lot of fun. It was just this one judge, who seemed to be out of place. I wasn't there for the T8, but apparently Windux and the other Germans felt offended by his attitude. That sucks.

By the way, how old is Hugo (since he seems to be one of Holland's best Vintage players)? He looked really, really young. I thought he was like thirteen years old or something... :)

49 Cents
11-02-2006, 07:35 AM
First of all, I am NOT gay, thank you very much.. Who told you I was, anyway?

The whole match in the T4 was hilarious. I never trashtalked so much in a match, I think. But it was funny, so I don't care. It takes away the stress from a match.

I don't want to flame Dennis, because the whole sleeve thing was my own fault. Yeah, he even apologised after the match

I'm sorry if the Germans feel offended by the judge, that was not the intention. I don't know what happened with the table judge thingy..

About the marked cards: I had 2, 2 Loxodon Hierarchs, from my SB. There was no Confinement marked, ask the Headjudge Eelco.

The Jotun Gayfucker thing was terrible. I REALLY thought you said that, that was so weird!

Oh, and I turned 16 in June, so I'm not quite 13. But I get that more often..

Greetz,

Hugo van Dijke

Citrus-God
11-02-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm studying German here at Uni and some of my best freinds are German whereas i've never met a dutch person I actually like. Even my parents tell me the dutch are fucked up.

That Terravore deck is crazy, sexy, cool. I like it, terravore is a cool card.

So your saying Dr. Evil is only evil because he was raised by a Dutchman???

And I also realize Nigel hates the Dutch... and a bunch more people... God that was such an awful movie.

I should sig that. I wanna be European so badly now.

@49 Cents: I love that deck right now. That is like the coolest LftL deck I have seen in awhile. Better than 0-0-4 Drop. I wanna add more Monasteries in...

49 Cents
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
So your saying Dr. Evil is only evil because he was raised by a Dutchman???

And I also realize Nigel hates the Dutch... and a bunch more people... God that was such an awful movie.

I should sig that. I wanna be European so badly now.

@49 Cents: I love that deck right now. That is like the coolest LftL deck I have seen in awhile. Better than 0-0-4 Drop. I wanna add more Monasteries in...

This could actually be true. The Dutch are wicked, you know..

I cutted a Monastery because my manabase just wasn't feeling it, but I love the card..

Ophidian
11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
After reading this report, "outtapped" has become my new favorite Magic slang. I hope it permeates the Magic lexicon, and everyone uses it.

Citrus-God
11-03-2006, 07:53 PM
This could actually be true. The Dutch are wicked, you know..

I cutted a Monastery because my manabase just wasn't feeling it, but I love the card..

I love the, "In Soviet Russia..."

Brushwagg
11-03-2006, 08:07 PM
I like the deck, but I see a big weakness with. Combo. It really looks like you had good match-ups all day. You proved that you can roll over Aggro and you should.

But how does the deck fair aganist Solidarity or Iggy Pop??? Solidarity can go off in reponse to or keep your key cards off the table until they are ready to go off. As far as Iggy goes they just have to race Confiment or tutor up a Echoing Truth. Just wondering here.

Oddball
11-04-2006, 07:43 AM
But how does the deck fair aganist Solidarity or Iggy Pop??? Solidarity can go off in reponse to or keep your key cards off the table until they are ready to go off. As far as Iggy goes they just have to race Confiment or tutor up a Echoing Truth. Just wondering here.

Of course the matchup is worse. But the Dutches aren't great Legacy players, so most people were able to say that there wouldn't be much Solidarity. Even the Germans don't play Solidarity that much. Most of them knew that it would have been a good choice, but even Lukas Preuss as the best German Solidarity player didn't want to take it to Eindhoven, because he hasn't played it for a while. So Hugo's build really sucks against combo, but that wasn't important.

Atwa
11-04-2006, 07:52 AM
I was Hugo's first opponent. Those games were really close and I had a really good time playing them. The deck is really nice. Esspecially the last game, where time was called, his deck showed it's power. I kept laying down Silver Knights, Soltary Priests, Spectral Lynxes and Jotun Grunts, but he kept plowing and breathing them away. It was really a shame I didn't get to draw a land or Tormoth's Crypt, I could have made it a draw.

Here is a very small tournament report which doesn't deserve it's own tread:

Angel Stompy
15 Plains
4 Ancient Tomb
2 Chrome Mox
1 Flagstone of Trokair

4 Exalted Angel
4 Mother or Runes
4 Silver Knight
3 Spectral Lynx
3 Soltary Priest
2 Jotun Grunt
1 Isamaru, hound of Konda

4 Swords to Plowshares
3 Parallax Wave
2 Disenchant
2 Umezuwa's Jitte
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
2 Mask of Memory
1 Pariah

SB:
3 Tormod's Crypt
2 Armageddon
2 Honorable Passage
2 Rule of Law
2 Glowrider
2 Disenchant
1 Jotun Grunt
1 Pariah

First Match: Hugo with Terravore.dec
Round 1:
I start with a turn 1 Isamaru, turn 2 Silver Knight. He get's a Werebear. I didn't have a clu what he was playing, but I started to suspect something. I start beating down as fast as possible, since I don't really want to find out what the bomb of his deck is.
He plays a Terravore, and somehow I knew it. The very first Topic I've opened here on the Source was a Terravore deck, so I knew the way the deck played. I was in trouble.

The turn after the terravore he plays an Armageddon, damn. I look in my hand and I have a StP, a plains and an Ancient Tomb. I plow the Terravore in response to the Armageddon and pray I will draw something helpfull in the next couple of turns. Which I don’t. I only have a Silver Knight and a Isamaru in play, he has a treshed Werebear which he rides to the win in a couple of turns.

Round 2:
I side something like this: -2 disenchant, -1 Silver Knight, -1 Soltary Priest, +3 Crypt, +1 Grunt
I don’t remember all the details of this game, but I play 2 angels. 1 of them gets plowed, the other one flies me to the win.

Round 3:
This game is really nice, we both plow each others creatures for a while, when my removal starts to run out. He gets all his removal back with Genesis/Eternal Witness. I must have played over 8 small creatures which he removed all, when I play a morphed Angel. I pray for a 4th land or for a crypt for both of his terravores. I don’t get any. Stupid God!

0-1 (1-2)

Second Match: Dontremeber Hisname with R/G Goblins

Round 1:
I get another turn 1 Isamaru, turn 2 Silver knight ( I seemed to pul this off the whole tournament). He does some cute things with small green man. I seem to get close to the win, but he gets some perfect ringleaders and he wins another close match.

Round 2:
I side: -3 Spectral Lynx, +2 Honorable Passage, +1 Pariah
I get turn 1 Isamaru, turn 2 Silver knight, turn 3 Silver Knight and Jitte, turn 4 equip Jitte, Mother of Runes and disenchant a Vial. I win this round......

Round 3:
I get a turn 2 Silver Knight, Turn 3 Pariah. Won this round.

Wait a minute. I wanted to get outside to smoke a sigaret (which I couldn’t have done during the previous game, since the match against Hugo lasted very long), so I didn’t want to play 10 turn with only a Knight attacking. I decieded to play a hardcasted Exalted angel with 4 Plains in play and an Ancient Tomb. I should have played him morphed and unmorph him when it could attack. The tapped Ancient Tomb dealt 2 colourless damage to the Knight, what killed it and the little ‘not so cute anymore’ green man kiled me thanks to what is my biggest playmistake ever.

Smoking Killes.

I play 1 more match against a tendrills deck, which is more leathal to it’s over than it is to me.

I drop from the tournament and go play in a draft (which I hadn’t done before).