PDA

View Full Version : Central PA tourneys?

Solpugid
11-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Does anyone know of legacy tournaments being held in central Pennsylvania? I know there are some in Pittsburgh, but that's 3 hrs from where I live. And if enough other people in the area have interest in it, I could always host a Legacy tournament myself. Thanks guys.

The Cisco Kid
11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm in the Harrisburg area, and I don't know of any (which saddens me). The closest things I have found were the occasional (every fifth Friday, which is like once every three months) in Chambersburg, or once every couple of months in Blue Bell near Philly. However, if you want to host one, you can count me in; and I would definitely spread the word with some others I play with.

BiscuitVader
11-06-2006, 10:37 PM
If you hosted them, I could attend some every once in a while...
A three hour drive sucks (I live in Pittsburgh), but if its good prizes or such, I'm sure I could make it.

Solpugid
11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
I don't own a store, though I know of a local store that might be willing to sponsor. If that doesn't work, I could certainly purchase good prizes, and distribute them based on attendance.

I'm currently going to college in the small town of Huntingdon, so State College, Altoona, and Huntingdon could all work as "hubs" for these events.

I was thinking something like this:

Entry fee: $5
First place: Revised underground sea and savannah
Second place: 6 boosters of time spiral
Third place: 3 boosters of time spiral
Possibly more based on attendance

This woud require an attendance of at least 20 people (since if the store doesn't work out I'll need to do this out of my own pockets), but if there is enough of a demand for it I can organize it asap.

What do you think?

The Cisco Kid
11-08-2006, 12:21 AM
I'll definitely ask around. Also, I'd personally be willing to up the entry to $10 for better prize support. Also, I'd be willing to throw in my DCI foil Grim Lavamancer if you think it'd help draw a crowd. As for the venue, the closer to H'burg, the better for me. I know if BiscuitVader is from Pitt, then we have conflicting intrests, but I just thought I'd throw that out there. Also, would this tournament occur on a regular basis, or would it be a one shot deal?

Solpugid
11-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Upping entry fee for more prize support would be fine, I just don't want to put off some people in my play group who don't have as much experience with this type of tourney. They are good players, with very unique and good decks, so I think it would be great if they participated. However, if dropping the entry would turn off even more people from other areas (seeing as how running this would require a lot of people to do some travelling) then by all means let's raise it.

I was considering running this in State College (maybe at Penn State) so that it would be equidistant for people from Harrisburg, Pitt, and Philly. But if people from Philly have no interest...we'll see.

As for being a one-shot deal, I don't want it to be. I have just enough extra time on weekends to run this on occasion. Maybe once a month.

The last kink I think needs to be worked out is the lack of a judge. I'm fairly comfortable with the rules, but by no means can I solve every problem that may come up. By raising an entry fee this problem may become worse, since judging an issue incorrectly could result in a match loss, which could cost someone more money. What I'm hoping is that this event will be a friendly environment where players who know specific rules can help out if their expertise is needed.

The Cisco Kid
11-12-2006, 11:18 PM
From what I've heard from people I play with, this would definitely be an excursion worth taking, but prize support would need to be better. One suggestion was to have a $10 entry fee and 100% prize payout. That means a 10 person tournament would have 1st get $50, 2nd get $30, and third and fourth play for free... or 2nd gets $25 and third and fourth make $2.50. This sort of prize structure would allow people to justify traveling futher and allow for a more competative tournament. But this is only a suggestion... do with it what you will.

Solpugid
11-12-2006, 11:54 PM
I would love to run a 100% prize payout, though since I don't run a store that wouldn't leave me with any benefit for running it besides getting to play in a tourney. Still, I'll seriously consider it.

As of now, how many people (you and your play groups) could come for $10 entry fee and 100% prize payout?

The Cisco Kid
11-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Right now, I'd say 3-6, but that's by no means authoritative. Before I could say for certain, I'd need a date.