PDA

View Full Version : [Announcement] The First Legacy Meandeck Open! Columbus, OH; Dec. 17

Smmenen
11-06-2006, 11:06 PM
We are holding the first of what we expect to be a series of Legacy tournaments in Columbus, Ohio leading up to the Grand Prix. Some of you have expressed interest in legacy in Columbus. Those of you from the midwest have no excuse! Come out and play. We aren't quite sure how we want to run these, but right now we are leaning towards no proxies and we will start off the Legacy meandeck open without proxies.

To summarize:

What: Legacy tournament

Entry is $15

Where: The Soldiery

4256 N. High St.

Columbus, Ohio 43214

When: December 17, 2006

Registration starts at 12:30. Tournament begins at 1pm sharp.
Last time the tournament went until around 8pm.

Note:
Let's talk about prizes. We have a large prize pool available. We haven't come to a conclusion about prize structure yet, but we are open to suggestions. Usually we give out a mox for first place in Meandeck Open events, so we can do that here or we can make the prizes equal out to what a Pearl would run. This means stuff like Blue duals, FOWs, Meddling Mages, Bazaars, Mana Drains, etc. We don't have anything set yet, but rest assured that the prize will be really freakin' juicy and equivalent to a Mox. We can also take the prize and make it filter through the T8 so more people get prizes, which sounds pretty attractive.

Also: this event will be sanctioned and judged. Don't forget your DCI number! With GP: Columbus coming up after the event, this is a good place to test your deck or cut your teeth on the Legacy format. If turnout for the event is promising, we'll hold several more tournaments leading up to the GP.

Hope you can make it!

Peter_Rotten
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Added to the Calendar, which is on a 30 day cycle. The event will start showing up on the 17th.

Hanni
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I'm from the Cleveland area so I might be able to make it down.

Hopefully before the 17th you will know a rough estimate of how many people you are expecting to show and more accurately what the prize payout will be?

Caboose
11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Sorry Menendian, I hate Kent with passion. While I've been begging for Columbus Legacy tournaments forever, I can't support that man's shop.

dahcmai
11-09-2006, 06:26 PM
Quite the drive for me, though I will see what I am doing for that date. It's been a long time since I showed for a large 1.5 tournament (1998 or so lol).

freakish777
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Is there anyway you can arrange to have this be a GP Trial with the DCI? Having 3 Byes at GP Columbus would be a big incentive to showing up for a lot of players (and would allow you to make the prize payout be for the whole Top 8 while still maintaining an incredibly strong prize for the winner in addition to whatever "goodies" they get).

kirdape3
11-09-2006, 08:33 PM
It's still really early for a trial. There's liable to be a couple more of these between now and then, but any trials probably will be run through PES.

IndyTerminator
11-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Unfortunately this is the weekend right before finals so no dice. However, if you have another one I should be able to bring myself and possibly a few other people. Good luck with the tourney. I definitely want to see more midwest tournaments.

freakish777
11-09-2006, 09:18 PM
It's still really early for a trial. There's liable to be a couple more of these between now and then, but any trials probably will be run through PES.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it's not something to have your sights on (whether you're able to put it together for this tournament or the next Legacy MD Open).

As far as PES and The DCI is concerned, I'm sure they wouldn't mind being approached by TO's as opposed to them having to track TO's/shops down in order to arrange things.

Caboose
11-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Everyone should know that the guy who owns and operates this shop is a bonafide fucktard. He treats everyone like shit, and I would not be lying when I say that most central Ohio players secretly pray for his death. I recommend skipping this one...

hi-val
11-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Everyone should know that the guy who owns and operates this shop is a bonafide fucktard. He treats everyone like shit, and I would not be lying when I say that most central Ohio players secretly pray for his death. I recommend skipping this one...

Thanks for your concerns, and I am not really big on Kent myself, but please stop trying to shoot our tournament attendence down plz thx? This event is going to be hosted and ran by people not affiliated with the store.

The prize is going to be good and it is NOT going to be store credit. If nothing else, it'll be cash. Kent has stupid prices for his cards ($32 pithing Needles? $16 SSS? whatev) so we're going to make sure that a situation where someone wins and then gets absolutely dicked on card prices for credit doesn't happen.

Every Meandeck Open event has been run smoothly and on time. This one will be no different. Whatever your concerns are about Kent or the store, they don't translate over to the actual event because we work to make it as independent of the store as possible. Think of it as us renting the store space for an afternoon.

Caboose
11-11-2006, 07:27 PM
If what you say is true, then this is good news. Kent is still a cunt, but if he is not in the picture, it should be worth attending.

kirdape3
11-11-2006, 08:30 PM
This event will be run by Ted Dickinson, a Meandeck member who will NOT play in the event. He's also a sanctioned judge and has a great deal of reliability and integrity. Prize support will be noteworthy. The only thing we're using The Soldiery for is a place to play.

Peter_Rotten
11-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Let's not rain on Mean Deck's Parade. We've heard enough about Ken's alleged cunt-i-ness. Further complaints about his store should be addressed directly to the man's face.

Smmenen
11-12-2006, 08:36 PM

This is patently false. We have run a dozen Vintage tournaments to great success at the Soldiery. Kent has been nothing but supportive and an excellent venue.

Come support Legacy in Columbus!

hi-val
11-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Prize info!

Okay, the door takes 30% and then CASH prizes are split as follows:

1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

This is open to flexibility, obviously. With 18 players, 1st gets over $120, which seems dandy for a day of playing Legacy! With more players, we'll work on getting the prize structure a little more distributed (I'd like to see something for fourth place, for example) so the more people come, the bigger the prizes are!

freakish777
11-26-2006, 02:40 AM
Is anyone from Rochester headed to this that I could get a ride with either to and back or just back (I'm kinda looking in KirdApe's direction)?

EDIT:

Also would anyone be able to pick me up from the Columbus Airport the night before around 11pm and have a place for me to stay? I'm in the process of moving back to the east coast and figured I'd hit this tournament up (and airline tickets were somehow only $150?).

freakish777
11-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Bumping this, is anyone headed back on 90 towards 'Cuse, Albany, MA (ie, through Rochester)? I'd much rather offer gas money than have to buy a bus ticket...

Bryant Cook
12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Anyone going to this? It's approaching fast, I would like to go. But I'm waiting on my teammates.

Peter_Rotten
12-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Will anyone be providing updates and/or links for this?

Smmenen
12-17-2006, 10:36 PM
35 players. Prizes were upped significantly in light of the great turnout.

Top 8 was:

2 B/W Pikulas (with Juton Grunt)
Iggy Pop
Burn
4 Goblins

Mike Bomholt with Iggy Pop won.

The field was extremely diverse with almost everything represented.

Thanks for coming and making this tournament a great success. We will plan to hold more of these in the future.

Smmenen
12-17-2006, 10:38 PM

Top 8 was:

Iggy Pop
Burn
4 Goblins

Thanks for coming and making this tournament a great success. We will plan to hold more of these in the future.

AnwarA101
12-17-2006, 10:41 PM

Top 8 was:

Iggy Pop
Burn
4 Goblins

Thanks for the update. Congrats to Mike Bomholt for winning the whole thing. I would love to see what list he ran. Leyline or Swarm or possbily Orim's Chant?

URABAHN
12-18-2006, 05:38 AM
Burn's getting a little spike in popularity recently, even seeing modest success in our local tourney in Annandale, VA. Could bigbear102 have been right in predicting Rift Bolt as the card responsible for Burn's success?

umbowta
12-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Having recently been on the recieving end of Burn packing Rift Bolt, I can tell you the card is very good.