PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Fast - Faster - Glimpse

Moczoc
11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi, i've been working on this decks for some days now. It is a simple Glimpse Deck that draws through playing more and more free creatures after one or more Glimpse of the Nature. The Deck CAN kill on turn1. But whenever it does not, you can scoop. In other words, my list fizzles too many times. The banning of Skullclamp makes the deckbuilding really hard.

Creatures
4 Skyshroud Cutter
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Shifting Wall
4 Phyrexian Marauder
4 Shield Sphere
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Ornithopter
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Crimson Kobolds

4 Elvish Spirit Guide

Spells
2 Brain Freeze
4 Serum Powder
4 Glimpse of Nature
2 Land Grant
4 Lotus Petal
3 Crop Rotation

Lands
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Tropical Island

Choices:

Brain Freeze: The kill. Could be Tendrils, depends on what mana is produced
Serum Powder: Tutors for a hand with Glimpse before the Game really starts
Crop Rotation: Fetches Cradle, the ultimate mana producer.

Some cards that possibly fit in the deck:

Chalice of the Void + Multani's Presence: work like additional Glimpses
Restless Dreams / Reaping the Graves / Nostalgic Dreams: Gets creatures back cheap
Goblin Bombardment: another kill
Collective Unconscious: expensive draw, but green!
Emerald Charm: untaps Cradle
Cloud of Faeries: sometimes another free creature, and can untap cradle
Diabolic Intent: a Demonic in this deck
Retract: draws a card für each of your artifact critter in play
Scapegoat: Collective Unconscious for 1 mana, but white :(
Culling the Weak: better than Ritual here
Carnival of Souls: black mana, unfavorable drawback
Tangleroot: green mana without drawback, but costs 3

Machinus
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
How reliable is serum powder -> glimpse?

Crop rotation should be a 4-of in this deck, and Cradle should be at least three-of. Cradle makes insane amounts of mana in this deck.

I would find a way to add black to this deck. You get Culling the Weak, Cabal Therapy, Diabolic Intent, and Tendrils.

xsockmonkeyx
11-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Is Cloudstone Curio too much of a win-more to include or build around in a deck like this?

Ive tried making this deck a couple of times and my impression is that you cant get to there(good glimpse deck) from here(current cards available).

Best of luck trying though!

Cavius The Great
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
I've played against a Kobold build online a couple years back and it was extremely consistant. It used Chalice for zero along with Multani's Presence to basically cycle through the entire deck and cast a random storm spell ftw. It worked suprisingly well.

iOWN
11-07-2006, 06:38 PM
I've played against a Kobold build online a couple years back and it was extremely consistant. It used Chalice for zero along with Multani's Presence to basically cycle through the entire deck and cast a random storm spell ftw. It worked suprisingly well.

Whoah, I actually tried that last year. It doesn't work too good, though, as unless you have open lands you have no way to produce mana, and you are pretty much just creating Fluctuator.

A really solid kobolds deck:

// Lands
4 [R] Bayou
4 [7E] City of Brass
4 [EX] City of Traitors

// Creatures
4 [AL] Elvish Spirit Guide
4 [LG] Crimson Kobolds
4 [LG] Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 [LG] Crookshank Kobolds

// Spells
3 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
4 [CHK] Glimpse of Nature
4 [RAV] Cloudstone Curio
1 [TE] Lotus Petal
4 [MM] Land Grant
4 [R] Dark Ritual
4 [TO] Cabal Ritual
4 [MR] Spoils of the Vault
4 [FD] Plunge into Darkness

Created by someone on the wizards forums. It could use some retuning, like Duress and Removal and maybe a splash for White or Red, but it's REALLY consistent and flexible.

Kronicler
11-08-2006, 01:39 AM
You can go the Cloudstone Curio route... but I really don't think that is the best way to go. IMO one of the best cards that you are missing in this deck is Slate of Ancestry. Using a crop rotation off of spirit guide or lotus petal mana to get a cradle mid combo and activating Slate of Ancestry will prety much ensure that your combo does not fizzle. I also think that you run a few to many 0 cost creatures thereby increasing the chances that you will fizzle. Also, I think the inclusion of Serum Powder is a mistake, and rather that you should include Mystical Tutor. Not only can you tutor for Glimpse to combo out 2nd turn, but you can tutor for the brain freeze once your storm count is high enough and just drop another 0 drop creature to draw it and win. Here is a list which I have been workin on for a Glimpse / Kobold deck:

Creatures
4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Shield Sphere

Spells
1 Brain Freeze
4 Crop Rotation
4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Land Grant
4 Mystical Tutor

Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal
4 Slate of Ancestry

Lands
4 Gaea's Cradle
3 Tropical Island

Elfrago
11-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Add Mystical Tutor and Personal Tutor to fetch for the Glimpse

Reverend Damaged
11-08-2006, 09:22 AM
I actually played a deck like this in the Albany scene for a while, and it won turn 1 and 2 about 60% of the time. Deck list was something like this (I will edit this if I find the actual deck list):

Creatures:
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Crookshank Kobolds
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Shield Sphere

Spells:
4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Mystical Tutor
1 Collective Unconscious
2 Hunting Pack
3 Crop Rotation
1 Overrun

Enchantments:
2 Concordant Crossroads

Mana:
4 Land Grant
3 Tropical Island
3 Gaea's Cradle
3 Lotus Petal
2 Chrome Mox
4 Elvish Spirit Guide

I'm pretty sure that's the decklist, but I might be off on some of it. I'll have to try and find my old decklist, it's on the boards here somewhere. Sideboard was things like Xantid Swarm, Defense Grid, Brain Freeze, Multani's Presence and a mix of Oxodize/Naturalize to kill Trinisperes and Chalices. People thought it was stupid, and sub-optimal, until they lost to a massive amount of hunting pack tokens for the win, or I attacked with an Overrunned army of 3/4's big enough to kill them on turn 3 or 4. The multiple Cradles and 0 mana guys actually make a first/second turn Hunting Pack for 5 4/4's possible (since we have Crop Rotation as well). You don't even need Glimpse of Nature at first. This deck has more staying power than your version as it can win without actually comboing off. And turns into full alternate combo after the board.

I like how once your list combos, due to the mass amount of creatures, it's usually game. But this wins just as fast and can stand to not actually combo, while still winning the game. :-)

Maveric78f
11-08-2006, 09:52 AM
As everybody goes with its own list, mine was more artifacts oriented, so that I could bring them back to my. The problems of that deck is discard. Retract is the key card of the deck.

// Lands
2 [U] Bayou
2 [U] Tropical Island

// Creatures
4 [SH] Shifting Wall
4 [VI] Phyrexian Marauder
4 [4E] Ornithopter
4 [VI] Phyrexian Walker
4 [AL] Shield Sphere
4 [MR] Frogmite

// Spells
4 [TE] Lotus Petal
4 [MM] Land Grant
2 [MR] Chrome Mox
1 [SH] Mox Diamond
4 [DS] Retract
4 [CHK] Glimpse of Nature
2 [SC] Tendrils of Agony
1 [EX] Culling the Weak
4 [6E] Mystical Tutor
2 [PS] Diabolic Intent
4 [JU] Cabal Therapy

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
SB: 1 [SC] Brain Freeze
SB: 4 [SC] Xantid Swarm
SB: 3 [5E] Hurkyl's Recall
SB: 4 [US] Duress

Ps : it was before Portals enter in the format, so that I'd play personnal tutor over diabolic intend.
PPs : the side is very bad. There should be some kobolds maybe to go faster against some decks...

Moczoc
11-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Wow! Thank you all. I didn't expect so much interest in this deck :D

Cloudstone Curio is the wrong direction, since it requires a 3,5 card Combo to kill. (And its slow anyway)

Slate of Ancestry < Collective Unconscious < Pack Hunt

Retract is interesting, its a scapegoat for blue mana. Maybe we have to exchange Cradle with Tolarian academy. Promising direction?!

The blue Tutors made the deck more consistent. It still fizzles too much, but my actual list is at least better than the one i startet with.

Creatures
4 Elvish Spirit Guide

4 Shield Sphere
4 Phyrexian Walker
4 Ornithopter
4 Kobolds of Kher Keep
4 Crimson Kobolds
4 Shifting Wall

Spells
1 Brain Freeze
4 Glimpse of Nature
4 Land Grant
4 Lotus Petal
4 Crop Rotation
3 Mystical Tutor
3 Personal Tutor
3 Pack Hunt

Lands
4 Gaea's Cradle
2 Tropical Island

I hope you find your old list Reverend Damaged. Your ideas seem great.

Kronicler
11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
If the deck still fizzles you could always go the agro route. Use concordant crossroads and vitalizing wind. "Combo out" with glimpse to get tons of creatures and draw into a CC and a Wind (you can get wind with the tutors too) and then just swing FTW.

iOWN
11-08-2006, 04:06 PM
@Kronicler: See RD's list...

Really, I've played with just about every kind of Kobolds (Classic, Retract, Cloudstone, hell even Dryad/Kobold Sligh...) and Cloudstone is by far the most consistent. It is neither slow, and is really quite easy to set up the combo, and since the deck is not cluttered with 0cc creatures which are useless precombo, it offers much more design space.

CloudstoneKobolds is actually simple to start, only needing Curio and Glimpse to really go off (Kobolds are easy to find and one can chain into each other) and with 8 tutors it isn't too hard, not mentioning that you can go off with just Glimpse, drawing into a Curio. It loses no speed, with Rituals and ESG you can still go off first turn and consistently go off somewhere through turn 4. It allows you to draw your deck without needing multiple Glimpses, so answers to things like True Believer are still easy to find. I just really like this version of the deck, and urge people to try it out on MWS.

Reverend Damaged's deck seems like it could be interesting, using Overrun could work although it might be more effective when used in combination with Brain Freeze or Tendrils.

Cavius The Great
11-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Candelabra of Tawnos is a great card to abuse Gaea's Cradle with. I have a kobold deck that generates like 20+ mana with it by like the third or fourth turn.

emidln
11-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Candelabra of Tawnos is a great card to abuse Gaea's Cradle with. I have a kobold deck that generates like 20+ mana with it by like the third or fourth turn.

By third or fourth turn you could have won with a deck that doesn't take it from behind from Chalice, Engineered Plague, and Pyroclasm.

Maveric78f
11-09-2006, 03:44 AM
My deck in godlfish mode has an esperance of killing on the second turn. Even a bit better if you remove the cabal therapies. But the problem comes from the opponent's disruptions : discard and counterspells. That's why the deck is not really competitive.