PDA

View Full Version : Perilous Research and Targeted removal

Cavius The Great
11-09-2006, 06:51 PM
I know this sounds like a dumb question, and I probably already know the answer, but I just want to make sure I'm correct. If my opponent targets one of my creatures, can I cast a Perilous Research and sac the creature in response? i'm assuming you can as long as the removal is on the stack. Any help is appreciated. Thanx. :smile:

Ta Jugs
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Yes because your research resolves then the spell is countered due to lack of target.

Cavius The Great
11-10-2006, 10:49 AM
So I can basically wait till I draw 2 cards then sac it in response? I'm just concerned with the wording becuase the clause of saccing the creature doesn't occur until after I draw two cards. I still assume that it can be done, correct me if I'm wrong.

tivadar
11-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Hmm, I'm assuming you mean:

Opponent casts Electrolyze targetting meddling mage
You cast Perilous Research

So the stack looks, from top to bottom:
Perilous Research
Electrolyze

A spells effects all happen before anything can actually trigger or any other effects can resolve. This means that when Perilous Research resolves, you draw two cards and put meddling mage in the graveyard. If there was some card in play that said "when you draw cards, ..." the ... would not happen until after you sacrificed a permanent, as the trigger would be put on the stack at the resolution of perilous research.

On top of this, once research resolved, electrolyze, which only has a single target, would no longer have a legal target. It would be countered and your opponent would not draw cards.

What I'm saying is there's no "in response" here, you cast perilous research in response to their targetted removal, yes, but when perilous research resolves, all of the abilities of the card happen before anyone gets priority. The only exception to this are replacement effects. For example, if a card existed that said "when you draw this, put it into play instead", then if you drew that card with perilous research, you could put it directly into play and sacrifice it to pay for perilous research. This is because replacement effects don't use the stack.

Please let me know if this is wrong, but pretty sure this is the way things work...

Jaynel
11-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I think that you can sacrifice Mage when Perilous Research resolves, but only if they haven't played another removal spell. So in this situation...

*top of stack*
Perilous Research
Fire/Ice
*bottom of stack*

You draw 2 cards, sac Mage and Fire/Ice fizzles. However...

*top of stack*
Smother
Perilous Research
Fire/Ice
*bottom of stack*

Smother gets rid of Mage, so when Perilous Research resolves, you must sacrifice another permanent. Fire/Ice will fizzle.