PDA

View Full Version : Sea Drake

kicks_422
11-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I've read on these forums somewhere (probably in the Faerie Stompy thread) that you can drop a first turn Sea Drake... I'm assuming its City/Tomb + Mox Diamond into Drake...

I've had numerous lashings against me on MWS though... Can Sea Drake be played even when you have only one land in play?

Anarky87
11-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Yes you can play the Drake with only one land in play. Because you cannot legally target two different lands with Sea Drake's ability. So it comes into play and nothing happens but your opponent staring down a beefy flier.

Eldariel
11-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Yes you can play the Drake with only one land in play. Because you cannot legally target two different lands with Sea Drake's ability. So it comes into play and nothing happens but your opponent staring down a beefy flier.

What he's trying to say is that the comes-into-play ability only resolves when Sea Drake reaches play and has nothing to do with whether you can play the spell or not, and since the CiPT can't resolve due to an inadequate number of lands, you just get a 4/3.

kicks_422
11-11-2006, 06:52 AM
So how can I explain it?...

I play big beefy flier, and his 187 effect is put on stack. The effect is countered upon resolution because of only one legal target, so I don't have to return two lands to my hand, but I keep the said big, beefy flier?

Eldariel
11-11-2006, 07:51 AM
I play big beefy flier, and his 187 effect is put on stack. The effect is countered upon resolution because of only one legal target, so I don't have to return two lands to my hand, but I keep the said big, beefy flier?

Basically, the relevant part is that Comes into play-ability triggers once in play. It's countered upon announcement due to an insufficient number of targets and the flyer remains. Works the same as for example, Nekrataal's ability is countered if there are no other creatures in play, but Nekrataal himself will remain as a 2/1.

If you need to show it to someone, tell them to check the SCG Saturday School Archive. The question is presented there.