PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Legacy Tournament, Nov. 25th

Drkdstryer
11-20-2006, 04:02 AM
Saturday, November 25th, at Legions in Wexford. Price is $10-15 dollars, with a box of Time Spiral being the first place prize, and other prizes dependent on attendance.

7:30 is the start time.

9066 Perry Highway
McCandless Township, 15237

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=9066+perry+highway+15237&ie=UTF8&z=15&om=1

412-366-3725 for details... this is a very unofficial announcement; I'm just a player who wants to play Legacy.

mmmetaphor
11-21-2006, 01:04 PM
thanks for the update. i should be able to make it as long as work doesn't force overtime on me. there will be atleast 2 others coming with me too, lets hope we get a decent turnout.

Drkdstryer
11-22-2006, 11:10 PM
OK, just talked to the TO/judge and it's $15, 7:30, this Saturday. These are teh final details. Box for first, other prizes as attendance allows.

Once again, 7:30, and the entry is $15.

Drkdstryer
11-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Awwwwright doublepost!

Deger
11-23-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanx DD

MM and I were a bit confused and well I asked them twice and they gave me the wrong time twice so.... but whatever... I was going to get there early even for the 5:30 time they told me.. but now I have time to screw around...
and Like I said I'll go easy on you in the top 2

Drkdstryer
11-23-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanx DD

MM and I were a bit confused and well I asked them twice and they gave me the wrong time twice so.... but whatever... I was going to get there early even for the 5:30 time they told me.. but now I have time to screw around...
and Like I said I'll go easy on you in the top 2

Yeah there's a new owner, and apparently he doesn't really know what he's doing... for example they're OUT of Time Spiral booster packs. Like, the most popular set right now, and they don't have any in stock. That's why I just talked to the judge, who's basically setting all this up. HE'S not going to be there until the 7:30 start time anyway.

See you guys on Saturday!

Arsenal_Fan
11-23-2006, 08:07 PM
I see that the mentioned prize was a Time Spiral box, but who is providing the prizes if the store is out of product. I was just curious since I hope to make it to this tourney.

Arsenal_Fan
11-28-2006, 09:40 AM
Anyone have results of this tourney? How many people showed up? The weekend after Thanksgiving was not a good weekend for having a tourney with so many people being out of town or visiting relatives.

Deger
11-28-2006, 01:08 PM
okay so it is tuesday and no report so I will write one and it'll suck probably but I never claim to be a writer... some might be more detailed then others... Here goes

legacy tourney at Leigons on the sat after thanxgiving-

7 people
3 rounds cut top 4

MMMetaphore and I discuss in the car what the Meta will be and we both come to the ageement that we never seem to get it right so what the hell... we arrive and from listening to 3 of the other guys there talk that well we probably will not be looking at Tier 1 decks.. now don't get me wrong I have played in enough tournies that I know you are going to see more weird jank in a legacy or Vintage tourney then in extended and down and while you can bring the strongest deck in the world (and most expensive) you still have the left field element you are not used to...

So from the chatter I know I will not see much of what has been posted in the forums...

now I am playing ATS and I am expecting goblins, some solidarity variant, maybe some control and because MMMetaphore and I have looked at who has been posting and in what.. I think IggyPop (you know who you are) and UBASTAX (any guesses)

MM is playing RGBSA

so this is how it kinda goes.

Round 1
Drkdsryer after some die rolling he drops island and passes..
I scan my hand and have a bird and a Ranger and some countermagic. okay lets test the water a bit land still the ranger is good... Solidarity-- nothing good-- MUC--- why did i take scragnoth out of the board?????
Ranger resolves..
he keeps droping islands and playing draw spells I keep swinging with the ranger and drop another one..
He does some more stuff and Plays an arcane lab (huh???) I look at the hand of counter magic and let it go.. keep swinging with rangers.
he casts meloku I denie it.. eventually I am looking at squee in the hand and I decide what the hell and cast it squee resolves and I keep swinging with crew lets hear it for the rangers...

Game 2 is a little different.. he resolves that guy that is a 1/1 and after 4 spells flips to an enchantment that counters the first spell I play each turn.. Kinda annoying I have an early survival so I get a lyrist and blow it up.. he gets a Meloku into play and starts making dudes... I explode with raffellos, seedborn muse and masticor anger and genisis in the yard.. and squee... (although I save him for survival and pitch some lands to the masticor...) The army of 1/1 fliers goes away and the masticore swings in for the win.

(1-0)

Round 2 Jeremiah

we shuffle up and I loose the roll again he says he'll play drawa 7 slaps a mountain on the table and a Mogg Fanatic before I even get 3 cards in hand.

after saying something about I am old and he needs to slow down a bit I go down to 6 cards (I had no land) this hand is not much better but I keep

he repeats the same as above..
I play 1 land
he procedes to bolt the hell out of me... and I loose quick... and even though I have no mountains on the board or birds in play i still look at my lands each time I get the chain lightning...

game 2

I board in 2 sea sprites absoulte law and worship..
my had still sucks but I have an early sprite and a sylvan so I keep.. After the inital barrage of fire the deck slows up and I stablize around 4 life or so with a feeder on the table and the constant swinging I do manage to get to feeder genesis recurssion but no need Masticore swings for the win again.. (man he is some good)

game 3 goes like game 1

let me just say how much I hate the bolt deck... It sucks... it's boreing to play and boreing to play against... It rarely goes all the way and will usually burn out turn 5... once in topdeck mode it is to riskey... he should have taken a lesson from sligh and played scroll... all the spells cost 1 or 2 scroll comes in 3/4 and you are in topdeck mode anyway... I wish I had Warmth....

1-1

round 3 MM
yup I play my teammate.. ATS vs RGBSA.. statistically I will loose... I have never beaten him in a tournament game.. in 8 or 9 years never...
I don't think we can ID and still make top 4... He played DrkDstryer and won.. I think he lost to affinity...

I keep a crappy hand and get down a tradewind by turn 3/4 and am bouncing stuff but I still have no survival... I finall get mashed by the shivan wurm...

game 2 I am pissed I again keep a crappy hand and start slugging but it is not enough he plays survival I counter, He plays another the next turn... I am mana screwed and see no lands and can't brainstorm into anything... I start making mistakes I counter a cabal therepy with a counter spell that is targeting a force of will.. WTF..... taps me of blue and no blue spell.... I survive a Rafellos when he has one in play and tons of forests what am I thinking.... I am looking down a wall with no way out and I finally get survival.. I get genesis in the yard.. I get squee in the yard I get the frog.. can stall and hopefully get a worship in play soon i have the library out after all.. yes.. done go..
he untaps plays around with some stuff and plays a loaming shaman...

I do not scoop but I loose very quickly...

1-2
MM is 2-1

The cut is :

Farie Stopmy (that's what it looks like)
Affinity
Bolts
RGBSA

I trade a bit and then see the bolts get a massive atog to the dome for the match...

RGBSA wins the first game against Farie Stompy I wasn't really watching the game but I hear "that's an Angel" come from the table... Shortly RGBSA scoops to go to game 3

they play some stuff and it looks like RGBSA is having some mana problems (via wasteland and general screw I think) meddeling mage against Flametougue Kavu hits the table followed soon after by another one for Survival of the Fittest... They play a while longer but it is over..

Bolt gets a pack
RGBSA gets a pack

Affinity and Farie Stompy play for some split of a box like a 70/30 kinda thing but I think they ended up 50/50.. I left but my vote was for affinity..

I heard there was a black deck there but then there was some talk of a lost red green SB so I have no clue...

My deck was as follows (as best as I can remember)

3 Tradewind
2 Quirion Ranger
3 Wall of Roots
1 Guilded Drake
4 Mana Birds
1 Snake
1 Genesis
1 Anger
1 Squee
1 Frog
1 Lyrist
1 Feeder
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Witness
1 Raffellos
1 Hump monkey
1 masticore

4 Survival
4 CounterSpell
3 Brainstorm
4 Force of Will
2 sylvan library

4 Top Islands
2 Taiga
1 Savannah
5 island
4 forest
2 heath

SB
1 Disenchant
2 tormods crypt
1 absolute law
1 worship
1 silent arbiter
2 gaeas blessing
2 energy flux
2 interdict
2 sea sprite
1 propaganda

so that's it now more players would make any future tournaments there better you kinda have to realize that the accessability of legacy/vintage cards is going to be rough on some players so I think you see more stuff from the newer sets like a ramped up extended deck (really most of the decks in legacy are like that with dual's and some older cards maybe IA block.. and up) but it was a fun night and I would go again and even try to get more people... but I will say the deck breakdown was the type I have always seen at legacy/vintage tournaments...

next time everyone should try to make it...

Vardaman
11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
7 people, split to top 4 for a box? Ouch.

Is the turnout usually higher?

Drkdstryer
11-28-2006, 01:53 PM
It was a full 8 people, no byes.

The last guy in the top 4 wasn't Faerie Stompy, it was a WUBS-type deck - Standstill, Vials, Cloud of Faeries, Swords and counterspells - no Wraths. Kind of a hybridization of WUBS and Landstill. I also bet that it would be Affinity that would take first, but I talked to the Affinity player and he said he lost to the WUBS in the swiss. Apparently Azorius Guildmage is good against Affinity. Anyway, the deck I was running was Erayo/Arcane Lab combo that my team had put together a few days before... it was pretty untuned.

So the decks present were:

Affinity
WUBS
Burn
ATS
RGBSA
RG Beats
Coffers Control (NOT Trainwreck)
And my Erayo deck

There were a few regulars missing, and of course only Deger and mmmetaphor showed up from The Source, so unless more people show up, yeah that's probably what the turnout will be like - 8 or so people.

Deger
11-28-2006, 01:55 PM
I guess my wife is right again I never pay attention

Arsenal_Fan
11-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Any word if the store owner would host another event or is this a one time at this store? I called earlier that day and whoever I talked to on the phone said he was not even sure if there was a tournament so I didn't want to take the 45 minute drive and nobody be there. Hopefully we can build up a Pittsburgh Legacy community so we can make a showing at GP: Columbus.

matyburger
11-28-2006, 05:03 PM
It was a full 8 people, no byes.

The last guy in the top 4 wasn't Faerie Stompy, it was a WUBS-type deck - Standstill, Vials, Cloud of Faeries, Swords and counterspells - no Wraths. Kind of a hybridization of WUBS and Landstill. I also bet that it would be Affinity that would take first, but I talked to the Affinity player and he said he lost to the WUBS in the swiss. Apparently Azorius Guildmage is good against Affinity. Anyway, the deck I was running was Erayo/Arcane Lab combo that my team had put together a few days before... it was pretty untuned.

So the decks present were:

Affinity
WUBS
Burn
ATS
RGBSA
RG Beats
Coffers Control (NOT Trainwreck)
And my Erayo deck

There were a few regulars missing, and of course only Deger and mmmetaphor showed up from The Source, so unless more people show up, yeah that's probably what the turnout will be like - 8 or so people.

I can think of at least 3 people (including myself) who would have been there had it not been that weekend - a lot of people went home for Thanksgiving, having it that weekend was kinda silly.