PDA

View Full Version : [Article]The Legacy Metagame, Part I: Format Overview and the "Big Three"

AnwarA101
11-20-2006, 03:48 PM
This is Bardo's Latest article on Legacy. If anyone has any doubt about what are the top3 decks in Legacy should really check out that listing of the Top8s from the last year in Legacy. One of these 3 decks wins virtually every Legacy tournament that has to mean sometihng. But where do we go from here? What's good in the metagame besides these 3 decks?

I liked this article because its makes clear where Legacy is (at least in America).

The article (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13200.html)

Bryant Cook
11-20-2006, 04:38 PM
Very well written, accurate and enjoyable.

Bongo
11-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the article, very well written!

Solidarity ("Reset High Tide ") 11111 11111 1(11)
Landstill 11111 1111 (9)
Survival 11111 111 (8)

I find it interesting that Landstill and Survival have almost as much T8 appearances as Solidarity.
Although it is often proclaimed that there is a "Big Three", judging by the numbers I would be inclined to say it is a "Big Two"-metagame, with Solidarity, Landstill and Survival close behind.

I liked this article because its makes clear where Legacy is (at least in America).

QFT. I would really like to see an analysis of the European metagame, since it seems to be quite different from the American metagame.

Bardo
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
The Landstill figures are somewhat misleading and I thought about it explaining the, but figured I'd just do so when I get around to talking about the deck (in Part 3). Basically, 18 months ago or so, Landstill was one of the hot "decks to beat" and it had more than its share of advocates and detractors.

And since numerous people willing to pilot it, it did quite well for awhile (and I don't think it's a truly "bad" deck). Check out GenCon 05 results to see it at its zenith.

Then it sorta fell of the face of the map and the hows and whys of it are really outside the point of the article. Then the BHWC guys retooled the deck and it placed in a couple of T8s in the last few months in its UWBG incarnation.

AnwarA101
11-20-2006, 05:12 PM
\
I find it interesting that Landstill and Survival have almost as much T8 appearances as Solidarity.
Although it is often proclaimed that there is a "Big Three", judging by the numbers I would be inclined to say it is a "Big Two"-metagame, with Solidarity, Landstill and Survival close behind.

While Solidarity is only slightly ahead of Survival and Landstill in terms of T8s, neither Survival or Landstill have placed first unlike Solidarity. I think this does make a difference if you are trying to define the top decks of a format. A top deck would at least win 1 tournament in a whole year. Wouldn't it ?

Lego
11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
We also need to look at how much a deck is played. I'm guessing (with no real evidence) that a larger percentage of Solidarity places well than Landstill and Survival, and I think that should count for something. I don't actually know whether this is true or not, but it seems like it would be, and would speak some to the strengths of the decks.

Machinus
11-20-2006, 05:37 PM
While I think this article was good, I would like people (including "experienced" players ) to realize that this characterization of Legacy has existed for some time now. The faster the community recognizes (and in many cases, admits) which decks really are good and which really are bad, the more quickly innovation can affect tournaments.

I hope people realize that:

1) the tournament data contained in this article has been freely available since the format began, and
2) this trend has been recognizable for about a year.

Very recently a consensus has emerged about tier 1, but only after it was undeniable.

Bardo
11-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I hope people realize that:

1) the tournament data contained in this article has been freely available since the format began, and
2) this trend has been recognizable for about a year.

To be fair, the intended audience of this article is not regular forum users at The Source and TMD/TML*. That's why I avoided posting the link at these sites.

The point of this article was to distill the available tournament information into digestible chucks for those who are curious about the format and understand why the current Top Decks are good.

* Unlike my/our next article which is much more detailed and not meant for Legacy novices.

AngryTroll
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Great article. Thanks, Bardo!

I look forward to seeing the next part(s). Always good to go over to SCG and recognize one of the authors as someone knowledgeable about Legacy!

Bongo
11-20-2006, 08:23 PM
A top deck would at least win 1 tournament in a whole year. Wouldn't it ?

Yes, that's a valid argument.

However, looking at the winning decks,

Goblins ***** ** (7)
Threshold **** * (6)
Solidarity ("High Tide Reset") *** (3)

I'd still say that the North-American metagame right now is essentially a "Big Two" one, seeing as both Goblins and Thresh have at least double the amount of wins.
There also seem to be quite a few local metagames where Solidarity isn't a concern.

This is good news for rogue deckbuilders, since it is easier to focus on beating both Goblins and Threshold than it is to focus on beating the "Big Three".

Bardo
11-20-2006, 10:19 PM

As pointed out below, Landstill and Survival are popular and strong decks, but they don't have what it takes to win First in all but small and undeveloped metagames. Also, as I noted, the Landstill figure are misleading, since it incorporates the antiquated U(/W)(/R) and the Wrath-less BHWC lists. And, to be perfectly honest, I have hard time imagining any Survival-variant taking First Place at a Premier event.

I would really like to see an analysis of the European metagame, since it seems to be quite different from the American metagame.

Then write one. ;)

We also need to look at how much a deck is played. I'm guessing (with no real evidence) that a larger percentage of Solidarity places well than Landstill and Survival, and I think that should count for something.

I'll try to account for this, but I think you're right. The "best deck" with least player tend to perform better than weaker decks that have a lot of players. In the case of Landstill, for instance, its performance (I'm almost certain) is a function of the large number of players that played it, apart from its actual "goodness."

I'd still say that the North-American metagame right now is essentially a "Big Two" one, seeing as both Goblins and Thresh have at least double the amount of wins.
There also seem to be quite a few local metagames where Solidarity isn't a concern.

This is good news for rogue deckbuilders, since it is easier to focus on beating both Goblins and Threshold than it is to focus on beating the "Big Three".

I don't know about Europe, but I bet it's a lot like the States. Only in a few instances is there an actual and predictable "metagame." Mainly it's a bunch of dudes playing their pet deck or whatever they have the cards for. Largely, I'd say, Legacy is an amateur format and the randomness of playing Fish in one round, Secret Force in another, mono-Red Burn next and then U/R Trix is a little odd.

Like it or not, this is the State of Things right now. We can embrace this, ignore it or do what it takes to attract the number of players and prize support to make Legacy a Real Format.

Honestly, I'm kinda ambivalent about it and see positives and negatives to any which way the format develops.