PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] GBU ReanimateSur

valor
11-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Everyone knows that playing huge creatues is really fun, and reanimator decks are one of the best ways to do that. This is the list I came up with, its pretty different than the standard reanimator list:

Mana:
4 U. Sea
4 Trop. Island
4 Bayou
4 Polluted Delta
1 Windswept Heath
1 Flooded Strand
4 Lotus Petal/BoP (not sure which is better here, 1 is definately needed)
As far as wasteland, thats obviously a weakness, I would take out a fetch, a trop and a sea if I saw wastes, which I luckily dont

Graveyard Stuff:
4 Survival of the Fittest
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Careful Study
2 Sickening Dreams
2 Intuition

Other Stuff:
4 Brainstorm
4 Basking Rootwalla
3 Reanimate
3 Animate Dead

Big Stuff:
1 Phantom Nishoba
1 Bringer of the Blue Dawn
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Kaervek The Merciless
1 Mindleech Mass
1 Sundering Titan
1 Razia, Boros Archangel
1 Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir

I'm sure theres a lot of things that don't look right, but this is pretty tuned. I'll talk about each part of the list seperately wiht explanations:
Mana:
As far as Duals, this deck does use a lot of each color, so its pretty important to pack as many duals as possible in here. I dont use basics since I own the only wastelands in the meta, but like I said you can easily substitute a Sea and a Trop for basics, or something similar. Fetches are the way they are because Delta gets all my land, and the mix of the other two is because I'm honestly torn between the 2, half the time I want a Strand and half the time I want the Heath, so its pretty tough to make that call. Lotus Petal vs. BoP - One is definately needed, this deck needs color fixing and speed. The benefits of petal are the pure speed, theres a lot of potential first turn fatty plays here and that helps ALOT. The benefits of BoP are that its a creature for Survival, sticks around, and besides early on is better than petal. I'm leaning towards Birds right now.

Discard Outlets:
Careful Study owns in this deck, better than Serum Visions and better than Brainstorm in this deck. Should be obvious why.
Survival: I've always wondered why Reanimator decks don't run green for this. It's synergy is amazing.
Wild Mongrel: It was between this and Zombie Infestation, which basically do the same thing, but I preferred Mongrel because it pitches to Survival and doesnt require cards to so something. ALOT better than Putrid imp if were running green anyway. Also better than tog because you never use the second tog ability very much in here.
Sickening Dreams: Some kind of board sweep is pretty cool, even if it kills some of my stuff. I was also considering Dark Withering of Ghastly Demise for this, but Sickenind Dreams is more discard and can be a kill every so often.
Intuition: This is better than Buried Alive. Instant, gets you your reanimate stuff or creatures to kill off. Want to up the count but couldnt find room.

Other Stuff:
Rootwalla: Synergy with pretty much everything here. Not huge but the problem with pure reanimator is that it fizzles to easily, this and Mongrel help toward an alternate win worst case. Cool synergy with Survival, etc.
Brainstorm: We have blue, so yeah
Reanimate: Awesome card, comes out quick and gets first turn fattys sometimes, better than Exhume by a mile because of its cost and that it doesnt help your opponent.
Animate Dead: This is the preferred reanimation card imo, basically no drawbacks, works perfectly. This is what I would intution for is I need to win. You would think I'd need the full 8 Reanimation spells but with 6 I ofent find myslef discarding useless ones.

Creatues:
I didnt go with the standard Akroma/Spirit of the Night thing because of Survival, which makes the toolbox approach much better imo.
1) Nishoba: This deck is VERY life hungry, I would probably up this first, its huge. My favorite first turn play.
2) Blue Bringer: 2 Extra Cards a turn?
3) Avatar of Woe: It was between this and Angel of Despair, but this kills more stuff, sometimes can be hardcast, and I pulled a foil and always wanted to use it lol.
4) Kaervek: Combo anyone?
5) Mindleech Mass: No one likes this thing but imo its pretty solid, gets a card of out their hand for you and tramples.
6) Sundering Titan: I love this thing, I doesnt hurt my mana that badly usually becausae of duals, but I would consider cutting it.
7) Razia: Keeps you stuff alive, hits for 6 turn it comes out. Pretty sick.
8) Teferi: Solidarity can't win with him out, avoids counterspells, etc. Rarely do but can be hardcast.
Exclusions: Akroma: Would replace Razia as soon as I get one
SSS: Would possibly replace Titan, if I find it kills my land too much.
I would love to use more Nishobas because as I said, this deck is very life hungry, and those offset that a lot.

The SB I would probably run would be something like:
4 Engineered Plague - Goblins might roll this
4 Tormods Crypt: Thresh
2 Echoing Truth: Sometimes you just need it
2 Disciple of the Vault: Affinity. Really funny to play against them, and I see a lot of it.
3 Engineered Explosives: Takes care of randomness

Tell me what you think of it.

Slag
11-22-2006, 08:08 PM
I like your discard outlets, for the fact that they are all useful on their own. I would really recommend including either Thunder Dragon or Bogardan Hellkite in your creature suite, for they are large critters and removal combined, in case you are facing a horde of critters without a sickening dreams. Depending on what decks you expect to face, you may want to include some disruption because quick combo can probably race you and board control decks can clear your creatures.

valor
11-22-2006, 08:31 PM
I like your discard outlets, for the fact that they are all useful on their own. I would really recommend including either Thunder Dragon or Bogardan Hellkite in your creature suite, for they are large critters and removal combined, in case you are facing a horde of critters without a sickening dreams. Depending on what decks you expect to face, you may want to include some disruption because quick combo can probably race you and board control decks can clear your creatures.

The weakness I saw with this deck before Green was how useless the discard was, which is why I went with these, which have really worked. I was thinking Hellkite, might as well go big if im going big. Nice suggestion. Disruption wise, I had considered Cabal Therapy, since it doubles as an outlet for me in a really crappy situation.

Another idea I had was Recurring Nightmare as maybe a 2 of. Nice synergy, renewable reanimation, and also semi-synergy as it come back to my hand to be discarded.

Brushwagg
11-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I like the idea. But I don't like the way the list looks.

1. You need to add some more Green to the mana base. Cutting the Lotus Petals is a good start to adding in more Forests. Survival is really mana hungry. I would also get some Taigas and probably at least 1 basic Mountain along with Anger. Haste is too good.

2. Where's Squee? I see the Basking Rootwallas, but Squee comes home every turn allowing Survival to be active.

3. In the Careful Study spot have you tried out Intuition? Seems like a better choice and an alternative to Survival at getting stuff in the yard. In the meta now a days you need to have a plan for Pithing Needle. Also Intuition doesn't cause card disadvantage.

4. I would also have some sort of other plan just in case the reanimator plan doesn't work out. Not sure what that would be, but having stuff you can hard cast, besides Dog and Rootwalla might help out.

5. Have you looked at Apprentice Necromancer and Doomed Necromancer? Both can be found with Survival and both reanimate creatures. I would test both out.

6. I'm not sure why you wouldn't run Akroma over Bringer??? Also where's is SSS?? It amazing how many decks can't deal with it.

7. What is your plan aganist Tormod's Crypt or other Graveyard hate??

valor
11-22-2006, 10:43 PM
I like the idea. But I don't like the way the list looks.

1. You need to add some more Green to the mana base. Cutting the Lotus Petals is a good start to adding in more Forests. Survival is really mana hungry. I would also get some Taigas and probably at least 1 basic Mountain along with Anger. Haste is too good.

2. Where's Squee? I see the Basking Rootwallas, but Squee comes home every turn allowing Survival to be active.

3. In the Careful Study spot have you tried out Intuition? Seems like a better choice and an alternative to Survival at getting stuff in the yard. In the meta now a days you need to have a plan for Pithing Needle. Also Intuition doesn't cause card disadvantage.

4. I would also have some sort of other plan just in case the reanimator plan doesn't work out. Not sure what that would be, but having stuff you can hard cast, besides Dog and Rootwalla might help out.

5. Have you looked at Apprentice Necromancer and Doomed Necromancer? Both can be found with Survival and both reanimate creatures. I would test both out.

6. I'm not sure why you wouldn't run Akroma over Bringer??? Also where's is SSS?? It amazing how many decks can't deal with it.

7. What is your plan aganist Tormod's Crypt or other Graveyard hate??

1. Petals are BoP, and I'm cutting the Strand for some type of Green mana. I'm not sure on Anger/Wonder because I don't know what would be worth cutting for them.
2. Squee is good but I need to be discarding my big dudes, and again the list is really too tight for him.
3. Intuition is already in the deck
4. Agreed on this point, usually Dog and Rootwalla can at least do something but I do need to find something else here.
5. While interesting I think those cards would probably be too much mana to be effecient, and they take a turn as well. Doomed is better because what it brings back doesnt die at least. Worht testing, but probalby not any better than Recurring Nightmare which kinda sucked too.
6. I'm going to run Akroma over Razia, its just a card availability issue, same with SSS.
7. If you're facing grave hate, this deck isnt that bad off, especially compared to thresh, etc. You dont have to overcommit to the grave like you would think. Ctypt can be an issue, SB Needle might be a solution to this. Not quite sure (personally I don't face much grave hate, pretty random meta which is why I'm running this in the first place).

As an aside I replaced brainstorm with AK because it just feels better, I was never using brainstorm like I normally do. It's one of my favorite cards but AK just has much more synergy with the deck, its not bad to pitch to a Study/Mongrel/Dreams, and obvious Intuition synergy as well.

Brushwagg
11-23-2006, 10:35 AM
@Intution: I meant upping them to 4 and cutting down on the Careful Study. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have the tutor effect instead of a random blind draw off the top. I do like Careful Study in some cases, but here I would rather have a second tutor effect.

@Anger: If any deck was ever crying for Haste it is this one. Having your fattie hit play then swing the same turn is too good to ignore. At the very least you get 1 swing before your opponent can draw an answer.

@Akroma and SSS: Fair enough.

You got me thinking here now. I'm going to have to put a list together and let you know how it goes.

valor
11-23-2006, 11:03 AM
@Intution: I meant upping them to 4 and cutting down on the Careful Study. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather have the tutor effect instead of a random blind draw off the top. I do like Careful Study in some cases, but here I would rather have a second tutor effect.

@Anger: If any deck was ever crying for Haste it is this one. Having your fattie hit play then swing the same turn is too good to ignore. At the very least you get 1 swing before your opponent can draw an answer.

@Akroma and SSS: Fair enough.

You got me thinking here now. I'm going to have to put a list together and let you know how it goes.

Hm I was doing some more testing with your suggestions and I agree that it definately does need 4 Intuition, because its synergy with tutoring reanimate pieces, popping fatties in the yard, or AK draw engine is too good not to use. I don't think Careful Study is the card to cut though, I know its disadvantages but I feel its totally busted in this deck. I had considered cutting the Sickening Dreams out for Intuition, and running Thunder Dragon/Hellkite to take its place, becausae I found it dead in my hand more ofthen than not. I tried playing it as a split card, as in "Sickening Dreams/Intuition" to see which I wanted those slots to be and at lest 8/10 times I wanted it to be Intuition.
For I tested out Anger in the spot of Sundering Titan since Titan does a number on my manabase, and it worked out well. Cut a Sea for a Taiga, then made the Strand a Heath.

iOWN
11-23-2006, 11:07 AM
You should definitely be running Anger and Squee. Your deck is not 'tight'; you filled it with fatties which really just end up being useless after awhile (not to mention that you are running 6 reanimators with 8 creatures to reanimate). To fix that, you could run the Kiki/Hussar/Karmic Guide combo with maybe one or two other fatties to make room.

valor
12-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I've been aquiring cards and going through testing, and changed a lot of the maindeck. This is what I came up with:
Land: 21
6 Green Fetches
4 Tropical Island
4 Bayou
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Taiga
5 Forest

Castable Creatues: 12
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wild Mongrel
4 Basking Rootwalla

Engine: 12
4 Intuition
4 Careful Study
4 Survival of the Fittest

Reanimate Stuff: 8
3 Reanimate
3 Animate Dead
1 Recurring Nightmare (back and forth with the last Animate Dead)
1 Doomed Necromancer (Survivalable reanimation)

Creatures: 7
1 Anger
1 Squee
1 SSS
1 Akroma
1 Bogardan Hellkite
2 Phantom Nishoba (need the life)

Sideboard: 15 (not tested very much)
4 Tormods Crypt
3 Ghastly Demise
1 Avatar of Woe
1 Kaervek The Merciless (combo)