PDA

View Full Version : [Discussion] Guilty Conscience + Stuffy Doll Combo

outsideangel
11-23-2006, 06:28 PM
While sifting through the Time Spiral spoilers, I raised my eyebrows at Stuff Doll. For reference:

Stuffy Doll
Artifact Creature- Construct
As ~ comes into play, choose a player.
~ is indestructible.
Whenever ~ is dealt damage, it deals that much damage to chosen player.
T: ~ deals 1 damage to itself.

I thought "huh, that's interesting" and kept browsing. I figured it would be a good combo with something that untapped a creature whenever it was dealt damage, but I couldn't think of any such card. It wasn't until recently that I was enlightened to the fact that it makes an infinite damage combo with Guilty Conscience.

Guilty Conscience
W
Enchant Creature
Whenever Enchanted Creature is deals damage, ~ deals that much damage to enchanted creature.

Basically you play Guilty Conscience on Stuffy Doll, then use Doll's ability, creating an infinite loop, and win. Two card combo, wins as soon as you can use it, only requires 1 color for the combo. Reminicent of Flame Vault. I figured I'd go ahead and work up a list.

Start with the combo itself:
+4 Stuffy Doll
+4 Guilty Conscience

White, in addition to the combo, gives Enlightened Tutor, which fetches both pieces of the combo.
+4 Enlightened Tutor

Now, we're playing a creature-based, two card combo in Legacy. That's Legacy. Where two of the format defining cards are Swords to Plowshares and Force of Will. Obviously, we need to deal with these two hurdles if we want to compete.

Staying inside white for now, we can deal with Force of Will. We've got either Abeyance or Orim's Chant. We're really only going to be casting this when we've already got our combo, so the cantrip from Abeyance doesn't matter much, but the extra mana does. Also Chant is considerably more useful against Goblinz and other random aggro decks, where you can kicker it and stall for a turn.
+4 Orim's Chant

We've got at least one answer to countermagic, but still nothing to take care of StP. Chalice @ 1 would be hot, but it's out because we definitely want Tutor, and Chant is good too. White doesn't look like it can do much more for us, so it's time to look into another color. Question is, which one?

Well, we've got 2 options. We can go Black for Proactive answers, in Duress, Hymn, Therapy, and Verdict. Or we can go Blue for reactive counters in the every useful Force of Will, Daze, Counterspell, and even Misdirection. (tech!)

I opted to go for blue. Why? Well, to be honest, I prefer the more reactive disruption. Discard is good for combo that's going to win in the first few turns, but unless we find a way to give Stuffy Doll haste, we've got to have it sitting on the board for at least a turn, which would give them time to topdeck an answer, or a card that finds an answer. With countermagic, particularly the free kind, I can A) go right for the combo, no futzing around, no other spells to cast first B) protect myself from the topdeck C) not waste time with discard to find they don't have the answer D) improve the matchup against many combo decks that are vulnerable to Force. Also, I own Strands and a few Tundras, so blue it is.

Free counters are good times. We'll hold off on more Mis-D's for a bit, since it's a bit more situational. (requires another non-Mongoose creature in play to counter StP)
+4 Force of Will
+3-4 Daze
+1-2 Misdirection

But wait! Blue isn't purely reactive. We're also running white, which means we can take advantage of everyone's favorite little 2/2 for white and blue, Meddling Mage. Not only can he plop down and name StP or Force or other random hate, but he's also good times against other combo decks. Drop Mage naming a key combo component and they have to waste time finding an answer, giving you time to get your own combo going and win. Also I guess he chumps against Goblins or something.
+4 Meddling Mage

Okay, so far so good. Time to flesh it out a bit more and then on to the manabase! We're running blue, so we can throw in some dig/draw. I'll be honest, and say that I love Impulse, and will use it at pretty much every opportunity. I still foster fond memories of the Mirage block, keeping those gassy two land hands because you had an Impulse. It digs 4 cards deep, and clears out chaff. In this deck, the chances that an Impulse will hit either a combo piece or an Enlightened Tutor to find a combo piece are quite high. It might be better as Brainstorm, though that would, of course, mean plenty (8+) fetchlands. For now, though, I like Impulse.
+4 Impulse

The rest is just filling the deck out. There's one more thing we need to address: permanents that shut down the combo. Prominent examples include Pithing Needle, Meddling Mage, and Chalice of the Void, but it's good to have answers to random stuff too, so we'll dedicate the last 3 slots to answering all that. First, blue bounce is good times, particularly if it's uncounterable.
+2 Wipe Away
One slot left, and we run Enlightened Tutor, so a tutorable answer sounds nice. Fortunately, Seal of Cleansing fits the bill nicely.
+1 Seal of Cleansing

Okay, so on to the mana base, where decks are made or broken. First some basics. We're white and blue, so:
+4 Tundra
+4 Flooded Strand
+1 Plains
+1 Island
Only one of each basic land for now, and we'll fill the rest in later.

Next, our combo takes 6 mana, though it can be spread out over two turns, so 5 mana tops. A little hefty, but fortunately, only 1 of that mana needs to be colored, which opens up the two-mana colorless lands for some acceleration.
+4 Ancient Tomb
+4 City of Traitors

Six more slots... we've got our colorless acceleration, but what about colored mana? Well, there are the 0-mana artifacts, Chrome Mox, Mox Diamond, and Lotus Petal. I turned down Lotus Petal straight away, since we want to be able to lay and use colored sources early to play search/draw/disruption, but also use them later to drop Stuffy Doll a turn earlier. That leaves the Moxen, and we don't really use enough land to support Mox Diamond, so Chrome Mox it is.
+4 Chrome Mox

Two slots left, and I think we need a few more mana sources.
+2 Hallowed Fountain

Well, that about wraps up the main deck. On to the sideboard. What do we have to worry about? Well, counter magic and discard can still be a problem, but we can answer both of those with a few more Misdirections. They'll also help against decks like Angel Stompy that run StP and plenty of creatures to redirect to.
+2 Misdirection

Quick aggro rushes can be a bit of an issue if you don't accelerate quickly enough. Propaganda should slow them down a bit. Swords to Plowshares also helps, and is an additional answer to Meddling Mage and True Believer, should you need it.
+4 Propaganda
+4 Swords to Plowshares

While it may seem extraordinarily janky, and awful in a deck with counter magic, In the Eye of Chaos slows Solidarity down a ton. They really don't want to combo off with it in play, but it also takes them quite a few extra turns to anwer it because it makes Cunning Wish cost 6. Really you don't bring it in against anything else. But Solidarity can and will race you, even with Chant and Mage.
+3 In the Eye of Chaos

Finally, a little protection against LD, and Burn/Goblins/Sligh, in the form of one-ofs that can be tutored up as needed,
+1 Sacred Ground
+1 Chill

The finished list:

Mana
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Plains
4 Chrome Mox

Combo
4 Stuffy Doll
4 Guilty Conscience

Search/Dig
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Impulse

Protection/Disruption
4 Force of Will
3 Daze
2 Misdirection
4 Meddling Mage
4 Orim's Chant

Answers
2 Wipe Away
1 Seal of Cleansing

Sideboard
3 In the Eye of Chaos
4 Propaganda
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Misdirection
1 Sacred Ground
1 Chill

Matchup data and analyses will be posted after further testing. Let's discuss the list.

outsideangel
11-23-2006, 06:29 PM
-post space reserved to have matchup data/analysis edited in as testing allows-

xsockmonkeyx
11-24-2006, 06:13 AM
Not to piss on your parade or anything, but wouldnt Mizzium Transreliquat/Time Vault be both easier and faster to pull off? You could literally go -4 Stuffy Doll, -4 Guility Whatever, +4 Mizzium, +4 Time Vault, and get a much better deck. You have to ask yourself, "what is it about Stuffy Doll that makes this deck more attractive?"

Cavius The Great
11-24-2006, 09:10 AM
sockmonkey: The cool thing about the guilty doll deck is that both combo peices are never a dead draw. Stuffy Doll is good on its on and Guilty Concience serves as removal if need be. I'm not saying the combo is better than Mizzium/Time Vault, but it kind of is, in the sense that both combo peices serve as an independant function.

xsockmonkeyx
11-24-2006, 09:45 AM
sockmonkey: The cool thing about the guilty doll deck is that both combo peices are never a dead draw. Stuffy Doll is good on its on and Guilty Concience serves as removal if need be. I'm not saying the combo is better than Mizzium/Time Vault, but it kind of is, in the sense that both combo peices serve as an independant function.

Yeah, well that and a couple hundred bucks too.:laugh:

Cavius The Great
11-24-2006, 11:34 AM
Mana
4 Ancient Tomb
4 City of Traitors
4 Flooded Strand
4 Tundra
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Island
1 Plains
4 Chrome Mox

Combo
4 Stuffy Doll
4 Guilty Conscience

Search/Dig
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Impulse

Protection/Disruption
4 Force of Will
3 Daze
2 Misdirection
4 Meddling Mage
4 Orim's Chant

Answers
2 Wipe Away
1 Seal of Cleansing

Sideboard
3 In the Eye of Chaos
4 Propaganda
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Misdirection
1 Sacred Ground
1 Chill

I suggest Brainstorm somewhere on that list. Brainstorm is able to single-handedly turn the tides in any game. It probably should be run in any deck playing blue.

Other suggestions off the top of my head. Golden Wish and Quicken. Or even Thirst For Knowledge and Academy Ruins.

I also would suggest a reliable draw engine. Maybe Intuiton+AK along with 3 copies of each combo piece. I would also run Academy Ruins if I went that route to insure resiliency.

outsideangel
11-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Yeah, well that and a couple hundred bucks too.:laugh:

Honestly, it's the price tag... buying books for classes is hot tech. :wink:

But yeah, preliminary testing shows this deck sucks. It's nowhere near fast enough, and doesn't do anything until it actually gets the combo.

I'm going to try out a couple of different builds, and see if I can stick the combo in a few different shells. (U/W control comes to mind, maybe Stax, ect.)

Also, I'd forgotten about Academy Ruins. TY for the reminder.

revenge_inc
11-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Although I have nothing to add to the decklist or advice to give, I was wondering, how exactly does the combo "stack out"?-Trigger by trigger-no guesses plz-only those who are certain. Thks.

(It seems more appropriate to post this rules question here, but mods feel free to delete or relocate this post to the card interaction section)

Cavius The Great
11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Although I have nothing to add to the decklist or advice to give, I was wondering, how exactly does the combo "stack out"?-Trigger by trigger-no guesses plz-only those who are certain. Thks.

(It seems more appropriate to post this rules question here, but mods feel free to delete or relocate this post to the card interaction section)

It's an infinite loop. You activate Stuff Doll targeting itself, Guilty Conscience triggers, it deals an additional point of damage, the additional damage then triggers again, then you pretty much have an infinite damage loop.

revenge_inc
11-24-2006, 08:26 PM
So...let me get this straight....

1) Stuffy Doll deals 1 damge to itself
2) Damage is redirected to the "doomed" player in multy or just your opponent in a normal game.
3) They take one damage from the Doll
4) Guilty Conscience Triggers
5) Trigger resolves-start over at step one-wash rinse repeat?

So could you play a Stifle at any point to stop the combo?(Buying yourself a turn in the process)

If you remove the Guitly Conscience with the triggers on the stack, does the combo fizzle?-I would think so, assuming that it won't trigger during the next cycle because its no longer there-but I'm not sure.

noobslayer
11-24-2006, 11:34 PM
If this combo does work, (I'll wait for an official 'yes'), you still need to deal with a resolved pithing needle.

Tutoring up one seal of cleansing isn't likely to cut it. With Academy Ruins you could also tutor engineered explosives and run cards like intuition or gifts as a huge boon for you.

rsaunder
11-24-2006, 11:49 PM
I also would suggest a reliable draw engine. Maybe Intuiton+AK along with 3 copies of each combo piece. I would also run Academy Ruins if I went that route to insure resiliency.Intuition+Deep anal is the better engine, especially in combo decks. It doesn't die to a single counterspell and nets more cards if need be.

Elfrago
11-25-2006, 06:55 AM
A burn to the dome of the doll, will take care of the needle

Cavius The Great
11-25-2006, 10:52 AM
If this combo does work, (I'll wait for an official 'yes'), you still need to deal with a resolved pithing needle.

Tutoring up one seal of cleansing isn't likely to cut it. With Academy Ruins you could also tutor engineered explosives and run cards like intuition or gifts as a huge boon for you.

The combo works, believe me. There's even a discussion going on about the combo in SCG.com and it made one of the headlines.

Atwa
11-25-2006, 11:36 AM
This combo was already confirmed the day Wizards spoiled this card.

I've already built a deck with it, in a Mono White Control shell. It played with a tutor board, playing one offs like Parallax Wave, Moat, Pithing Needle, Rule of Law and those kind of things.

It worked quite nice, but it kept loosing to very fast aggro like goblins and elves.

WU might be the way to go, but I really feel we should take extra advantage of the Enlightened Tutor, it is one of most powerfull cards on our format, but nobody seems to play it.

Cavius The Great
11-25-2006, 12:19 PM
I think the combo might work pretty well in an Enchantress shell as well. What do you guys think?

Pinder
11-25-2006, 04:41 PM
This might be a different deck than the one we're trying to make here, but why not try and fit it into a Wildfire shell? Durahan and I tried sticking a couple of Stuffy Dolls in his Wildfire build after they came out, and they aren't bad at all. With 1 (or even 2) of them in play, a resolved Wildfire is just ridiculous. You could take a basic Wildfire shell, and splash white for Guilty Conscience, ET (for searching up the combo and mana accel), and even perhaps other goodness like the aforementioned Chant and StP. That way, the combo pieces aren't entirely dead without each other, and you can stall (via Wildfire and Burning of Xinye) until you either hit your combo or just flat out kill them.