PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] Armageddon/Crucible

Grapes17
11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Hey guys. I lurk a lot but don't post much. There is an upcoming local tourney (1st place is a play set of force of wills) that I want to try. I don't get to play a lot of legacy, but I prefer decks with a bit of personality. I have put this deck together over time. It's main goal is to abuse Armageddon with Crucible. They loose all their mana, I can keep mine.

First off, here is a list:

4x Armageddon
4x Swords to Plowshares
3x Exalted Angel

3x Azusa, Lost but Seeking
3x Regrowth
1x Exploration

4x Compulsive Research
4x Mana Leak

4x Crucible of Worlds
3x Zuran Orb

4x Wasteland
2x Flooded Strand
3x Terramorphic Expanse
3x Glacial Chasm
5x Plains
4x Island
4x Forest

No sideboard as of yet, but it would probably include 4x Pithing Needle, and something to protect my graveyard.

The way the deck plays is out is that I hold on until I can drop Crucible. From then on I have control. I can 'geddon at will, as well as do some damage with Wastelands. Crucible + Zuran Orb also keeps me alive for a while. At the time I have Crucible on the table as well as a Glacial Chasm, I have pretty much assured that I will not be killed via damage.

A few downsides with the deck is that without Crucible in play, I don't have a good way to stop a lot of creatures.

I often switch the deck around to include Propaganda/Ghostly Prison + Armageddon (-4 mana leak, +4 Propaganda). It locks out their creatures and mana for a while, but again without crucible it puts me in a bit of a spot.

Against control, I tend to win because there is not much for them to counter, and I don't really play creatures. Specifically against land still I can evade their land destruction because of my basic land mana base and can counter act all their creatures with my own Wastelands.

Against agro, it is a struggle. If I am not running the Propaganda + Armageddon lock, then I have to hit Glacial Chasm + Crucible, Exalted to gain back the life, or Zuran Orb + Crucible. If I get any of those, I tend to win eventually by attacking with exalted.

Against Solidarity/Combo, I am not sure. I haven't really tested this match up. I don't really expect to see Solidarity at the tournament, but who knows? I would expect that other combo decks, if I get lucky and draw wasteland I can lock them out of the colors they need.

I am mainly looking for ways to improve and tweak my deck for the tournament. I am not so much concerned about winning, I just want to top 8. I think perhaps I could swap the Exalteds for Eternal Dragons. That may be a better win condition. Other than that, I am not sure where to go with the deck. As for a card pool, sadly I have no Tabernacle nor do I have any more Explorations. Other than that, I believe I have most all of the rest of the legacy card pool. All suggestions are welcome.

Mirrislegend
11-29-2006, 12:50 AM
1) Is playing blue really worth it? If you want blue to stay, you need Intuition
2) You should be playing 4x Exploration

Plank
11-29-2006, 01:15 AM
-4 Mana Leak
-4 Compulsive Research
-3 Zuran Orb
-3 Azusa
-3 Glacial Chasm

+4 Wrath of God
+3 Living Wish
+4 Chrome Mox or Mox Diamond (nuts with Geddon)- If you don't have access to either of these then some other form of mana accel like Tribe Elder.
+2 Flooded Strand
+4 Brainstorm or Impulse (I've always preferred Impulse to Brainstorm because it digs 1 deeper and if you're looking for an answer and it doesn't show itself in the next 3 cards and you have no shuffle mech. Guess what, your next 2 draws won't be answers either~)

Compulsive Research is just bad for Legacy and Mana Leak is sub par. If you really want counters in the deck then run Rune Snag or Counterspell. Throw Azusa and Chasm on your SB to wish for. I don't know really if this would help, but it's 2 cents.

syssc9
11-29-2006, 10:07 AM
@ Plank - Compulsive Research is bad? Works pretty good with Crucible, I think. Another little combo that tickles my fancy with some of these new blue draw cards is Perilous Research and Hatching Plans. But then, I have always been subject to the alure of "cool stuff."

Solpugid
11-29-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah, compulsive research is bad for Legacy. Intuition will put those lands in your yard too, but can also get you exactly what you need, and at instant speed.

Perilous research+hatching plans is not consistent enough to run.

umbowta
11-29-2006, 03:25 PM
There is an upcoming local tourney (1st place is a play set of force of wills) that I want to try. Oh crap! That reminds me...I forgot to post my next tourney announcement!

Grapes17
11-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I am thinking I am going to combine ideas here.

-4 Mana Leak
-3 Azusa, Lost but Seeking
-3 Zuran Orb
-4 Compulsive Research
-2 Glacial Chasm
-2 Flooded Strand

+4 Rune Snag
+3 Living Wish
+3 Intuition
+4 Wrath of God
+4 Mox Diamond

This will give me 24 mana sources (including the diamonds). It will also give me Wraths to deal with a lot of creatures. It will open up my sideboard to be a toolbox of creatures/land. I can also use the Intuitions to fetch up a pile of land(including the 1 Chasm that is still in), or some sort of answer. I will also still have cheap counters available post 'geddon. I think unless someone comes up with some more suggestions I will probably run this at the tournament.

laststepdown
11-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Tabernacle At Pendrell Vale is insane with Armageddon and Crucible.
Use it.

sammiel
11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
This deck seems weird, but fun. You should definitely try to pick up a tabernacle, maybe even a moat.

Plank
11-30-2006, 09:42 PM
-1 Glacial Chasm (you have living wish, you can drop it on turn 2 or 3 with mox diamonds)
+1 Terramorphic Expanse or Flooded Strand

Also I don't know about dropping to 21 Lands, I suggested Mox Diamond beause you had so many lands in the first place. With 21 it'll be harder to draw them. Aside from that it looks much better.