3 Umezawa's Jitte
// Sideboard
SB: 4 Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 4 Chalice of the Void
SB: 3 Trinket Mage
SB: 2 Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Engineered Explosives
SB: 1 Pithing Needle

I would like to fit some FoW but I'm afraid this deck hasn't enought blue cards to consistenly play them.

In previous version I used Sea Drake, but this decks suffers more this lose of tempo than Faerie Stompy, so I finally take them.

Thougths?

insertnamehere
12-05-2006, 06:36 AM
I think Ohran Viper could be a good addition to the deck. Look at the type 2 version that appearing in top 8's. I think that could be used as a model for the legacy deck.

Mirrislegend
12-05-2006, 11:13 AM
This deck has the same weakness as the U/G aggro decks of Standard: their acceleration dudes. R/B decks in standard have been attacking that, thus pushing UG down in the general standings. Legacy is more than equipped to do the same: Burn will rip right through you, as will Goblins and UGR Thresh. FS is the same thing, but faster, and with counterspell backup. I think there's just too many holes in this deck to fill, honestly.

However, if you are hellbent on this deck idea, I'd reccommend dropping the 3 FoF and probably 1 Iwamori for 4x Brainstorm. Your deck doesnt need the massive draw power of FoF, not to mention it doesnt belong in aggro. It needs basic filtering, and Brainstorm is the best card for that.

erdjinn
12-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Your decks looks like a sort of mix of Faerie Stompy and Zilla Stompy. Well, I like both decks.

Troll Ascetic is strong, but has poor sinergy with Ancient Tomb. I think you should try to avoid double G or double U in your casting costs.
I would also consider cutting Llanowar Elves or BoPs for Elvish Spirit Guide.

Just my 2 cents.

Al-ucard
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Your decks looks like a sort of mix of Faerie Stompy and Zilla Stompy. Well, I like both decks.

Troll Ascetic is strong, but has poor sinergy with Ancient Tomb. I think you should try to avoid double G or double U in your casting costs.
I would also consider cutting Llanowar Elves or BoPs for Elvish Spirit Guide.

Just my 2 cents.

I want to think that is an angel stompy but with green and blue cards, the tombs are only to accelerate the equipments and cards like iwamori, serendibs or psionic blast... Maybe I have to play with cities like AS...

Troll is the MVP to this deck, equip on it jitte or sofi and opponents just start cry, and the same is for rancor.

Anyway, from the original version I posted, I think that FoF, Trygon and Psionic are the cards to discuss.

Oh, and what do you think about sideboard? I'm not very convinced yet...

insertnamehere
12-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Oh, and what do you think about sideboard? I'm not very convinced yet...

I think you should run
4 Call of the Herd
2 Loaming Shaman
3 Gaea's Herald
2 Gilded Drake (Questionable at this point)
3 Dense Foliage (creatures can't be the target of Spells) It hurts the Rancor but stops bounce and StP
1 Loaming Shaman

Alfred
12-06-2006, 01:19 AM
Other than less reliance on the graveyard and nonbasics, why is this better than Threshold?

Blair Phoenix
12-06-2006, 08:42 AM
Other than less reliance on the graveyard and nonbasics, why is this better than Threshold?

Higher threat count.

erdjinn
12-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Anyway, from the original version I posted, I think that FoF, Trygon and Psionic are the cards to discuss.

My very personal thoughts:
Psionic Blast: good
Trygon: may bring problems with your mana base. I'd run Call of the Herd instead as suggested by insertnamehere, but maindeck and not in the sideboard.
FoF: good but maybe a bounce spell will help more. Rushing River?

Al-ucard
12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Ok, I make some changes to the deck, actually this is the list:

//NAME: GU Stompy
// Mana
6 Forest
4 Tropical Island
4 Wooded Foothills
3 City of Traitors
2 Polluted Delta
2 Island
// Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Serendib Efreet
4 Elvish Archers/Silhana Ledgewalker
3 Trygon Predator
2 Iwamori of the Open Fist
// Others
4 Rancor
3 Sword of Fire and Ice
3 Umezawa's Jitte
3 Psionic Blast
1 Berserk
// Sideboard
SB: 4 Blue Elemental Blast
SB: 4 Ravenous Baloth
SB: 4 Mana Maze
SB: 3 Tormod's Crypt

I decided to change the sideboard, I'll explain the choices:

BEB are against goblins and random burn deck.
Ravenous against any agro deck.
Mana maze agains solidarity and storm based combo decks. Maybe could be usefull against goblins since they can play only a gob for turn...
Tormod agains thresh and Iggy or any random graveyard based deck (reanimator, terravore...)

Maindeck I take FoF, 1 SoFI, and added 1 berserk (i love it! and only have 1) and some 2 cc creatures, but I don't know yet to put silhana or archers, archers are more agro and defends very good vs any agro deck, and silhana is the perfect creature to put our equipments as troll... I don't know what to play...

Thoughts?

lukatron2
12-06-2006, 03:01 PM
O.K...first of all this deck already exists. Its called Sea Stompy. Me and Anti~hero have already been developing pretty much this EXACT same deck and the thread has been up for months!!! If you go take a look on page 2 of the development forum, you will see its pretty much the same deck and weve already been working on it for a long time now...

Citrus-God
12-06-2006, 06:09 PM
O.K...first of all this deck already exists. Its called Sea Stompy. Me and Anti~hero have already been developing pretty much this EXACT same deck and the thread has been up for months!!! If you go take a look on page 2 of the development forum, you will see its pretty much the same deck and weve already been working on it for a long time now...

Yeah, me, Luke, and Alec have been testing this deck for a long time. I give him credit for most ideas, like our RG Beatz days with Ledgewalker being the girl next door, while Troll was her shitty Christian Dad who thinks she's innocent (jk, Troll won me so many games).

However, I did build a UG Stompy deck, it's Threshold, but it doesnt use the Turxo Xerox engine. I still use Mental Notes and free counters, but it's still a sexy piece of @$$.

// Lands 20
4 Wasteland
4 Flooded Strand
4 Windswept Heath
4 Tropical Island
2 Forest
2 Island

// Creatures 19
4 Nimble Mongoose
4 Werebear
4 Troll Ascetic
4 Serendib Efreet
3 Trygon Predator

// Spells 22
4 Mental Note
4 Brainstorm
3 Daze
3 Stifle
4 Force of Will
4 Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard 15
1 Stifle
4 Hydroblast
3 Hail Storm
3 Pithing Needle
4 Chalice of the Void

So sexy.... I dont know why I built something like that, but I do know it all started when I was bored, and I was reading Mike Flores article on UG Threshold. I havent tested this deck a lot, but so far, it wins, but IMO, I think you should stick to UG Madness if your thinking about running generic UG Threshold/Stompy.

Al-ucard
12-06-2006, 06:59 PM

I saw this thread in the past, my congrats, its a nice one, but I don't see so
so many coincidences as you, this is an aggro deck, and yours is more like and aggro-control one, facts that I don't have counters and I have Rancor says a lot about the aspect of the deck.

And I'm sure that If I post my deck in your thread, you probably tell me the same that I'm telling you now, they are different decks with different objectives, mine is play like zilla stompy, yours is to play like faerie stompy.

Blair Phoenix
12-06-2006, 09:26 PM
If you hadn't decided, go with Silhana Ledgewalker. It's great with equipment, being non targetable by your opponents, while having pseudo evasion.

insertnamehere
12-06-2006, 11:38 PM
I saw a guy run root maze along with Back to Basics in a type 1 deck running moxes and basic land. Maybe that could work in this deck.

Citrus-God
12-07-2006, 12:51 AM
I saw this thread in the past, my congrats, its a nice one, but I don't see so
so many coincidences as you, this is an aggro deck, and yours is more like and aggro-control one, facts that I don't have counters and I have Rancor says a lot about the aspect of the deck.

And I'm sure that If I post my deck in your thread, you probably tell me the same that I'm telling you now, they are different decks with different objectives, mine is play like zilla stompy, yours is to play like faerie stompy.

You have to admit, Faerie Stompy is still a midgame deck, and so is Zilla Stompy. Both these boards want board control. The onyl big differences are that my deck has more evasive creatures to break the ground war, while yours has more board domination. But I will admit, you deck does play like Zilla Stompy, while mine is just a spin-off of Sea Stompy.

erdjinn
12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I think this UG Stompy deck in your last build can be defined a GU Zilla Stompy.

The only differences are:
Out the red cards:

Kird Ape
Lightning Bolt
Magma Jet
Burning Tree shaman

In the blue cards:

Serendib Efreet
Psionic Blast
Trygon Predator

I don't count Ancient Tomb because you can include them in the GR build also.
Since Char = Psionic Blast, is it worth cutting red for blue for only 4 Efreets and 3 Predators?
I'm not saying they are bad cards, but I think they are not better (or better enough if you prefer) to weaken your manabase. Wooded Foothills can fetch both the basic lands, this is very important when facing Wasteland, and even more if your opponent runs Crucible also.

Sea Stompy is completely different (not better, different) from this deck because it exploits blue for drawing/choosing cards, and not for creatures.

Al-ucard
12-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Since Char = Psionic Blast, is it worth cutting red for blue for only 4 Efreets and 3 Predators?

I think yes because they have evasion, and love to be equiped-enchanted.

erdjinn
12-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I think yes because they have evasion, and love to be equiped-enchanted.

You're running green, you already have a good choice among the best creatures available!
Silhana Ledgewalker already has evasion. If you need another flyer why not Scryb Sprites instead of Trygon Predator?
The Efreet is really good, but so are BTShaman and Call of the Herd.

Running blue without draws nor counters (nor bounce) is sub-optimal.

Check Sea Stompy's blue spells:
4 Mental Note
4 Brainstorm
3 Daze
3 Stifle
4 Force of Will
I'm not saying you should pack those spells. I don't like that deck much. I am only saying they use blue where blue is strong.

Zilla Stompy's problem is not evasion (creatures have trample) is not drawing.
Magma Jet is gold. Blue has much better options than Jet.

Al-ucard
12-07-2006, 03:05 PM
It seems that you don't understand the concept of the deck, In my initial list I only put blue for big flying creatures like Serendibs and Sea Drakes, this is a stompy deck, we want to put pressure on opponent, not gain card advantage or control the board. I never see a stompy deck with card drawing or counterspells.

Oh, and I don't like BTShaman with so many equipments. I prefer trygon ability...

lukatron2
12-07-2006, 04:02 PM
It seems that you don't understand the concept of the deck, In my initial list I only put blue for big flying creatures like Serendibs and Sea Drakes, this is a stompy deck, we want to put pressure on opponent, not gain card advantage or control the board. I never see a stompy deck with card drawing or counterspells.

Oh, and I don't like BTShaman with so many equipments. I prefer trygon ability...

farie stompy runs thirst for knowledge, sword of fire and ice and force of will so I guess if you've never seen a stompy deck run draw or counters than you've never seen farie stompy, period? wow, thats pretty wierd... do you ever play legacy? ever?

Citrus-God
12-07-2006, 11:07 PM

You know why BTS, Troll, and Rumbling Sum are good in Zilla Stompy? Becausr they force your opponent to make a decision to live or continue putting pressure on you. Angel Stompy isnt quite a Stompy deck, but IMO, the way it portrays it's characteristics with Board Control and a clock made so that it can play the control role, and still win. Stompy isnt always about Counters, but a counter can be a good tool to ensure board control, an example would be Gro. In Legacy, all creature decks have to been Midgame decks if they want to compete, and dont you damn dare say Goblins, because they have a ton of removal, and they often break stalemates with some broken shaz.

Al-ucard
12-08-2006, 03:59 AM
farie stompy runs thirst for knowledge, sword of fire and ice and force of will so I guess if you've never seen a stompy deck run draw or counters than you've never seen farie stompy, period? wow, thats pretty wierd... do you ever play legacy? ever?

This is all you can say? If that is the case is better you don't say nothing, your comments are offensive and good for nothing.

In all time, when stompy decks have card drawing and counterspells? If you don't know what your talking about, is better you don't talk. Is much better be quiet and seem an idiot than talk and demonstrate it.

Here you have an article with an example of stompy deck:

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20010607a

What I would to say is that I only put blue for big evasive creatures like serendib and drakes, that's all.

Al-ucard
12-08-2006, 05:10 AM
You know why BTS, Troll, and Rumbling Sum are good in Zilla Stompy? Becausr they force your opponent to make a decision to live or continue putting pressure on you. Angel Stompy isnt quite a Stompy deck, but IMO, the way it portrays it's characteristics with Board Control and a clock made so that it can play the control role, and still win. Stompy isnt always about Counters, but a counter can be a good tool to ensure board control, an example would be Gro. In Legacy, all creature decks have to been Midgame decks if they want to compete, and dont you damn dare say Goblins, because they have a ton of removal, and they often break stalemates with some broken shaz.

OK, good arguments and good points, this is the kind of help I need. Thanks to post.

Well, I see your point, you say that any aggro deck that can't compete on mid and late game (without board control and without card drawing) can't be a serious candidate. I think so, but for that we need evasion. Unless opponent cleans completely our board, we'll dealing damage each turn thanks to evasive creatures, and with the creature enchancers we have (SoFI, Jitte and Rancor), this is too much damage...

Anyway, I will test against control decks and see if that is true, and if not then I'll consider your point.

Thanks

lukatron2
12-08-2006, 06:58 PM
This is all you can say? If that is the case is better you don't say nothing, your comments are offensive and good for nothing.

In all time, when stompy decks have card drawing and counterspells? If you don't know what your talking about, is better you don't talk. Is much better be quiet and seem an idiot than talk and demonstrate it.

Here you have an article with an example of stompy deck:

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20010607a

What I would to say is that I only put blue for big evasive creatures like serendib and drakes, that's all.

ok...are you stupid? I just quoted you saying that NO stompy decks ever run draw/counter but then I gave you a PRIME example of a stompy deck that DOES in fact run both! how in any way does that make ME look stupid? I know it wasn't constructive critisism. I was trying to point out the fact that your statement was innacurate in saying that no stompy deck ever runs draw/counter. Thats all

Vimes
12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
First of all, I think the curve needs to be lowered quite a bit. Everything seems just too slow, especially with little to no disruption. I would suggest Chalice of the Void and a few counters, but then you just end up with the Sea Stompy thread's deck. Not that that is a bad thing, though.

Also, quote right. It's "It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." (Mark Twain)

Al-ucard
12-09-2006, 05:19 AM
ok...are you stupid? I just quoted you saying that NO stompy decks ever run draw/counter but then I gave you a PRIME example of a stompy deck that DOES in fact run both! how in any way does that make ME look stupid? I know it wasn't constructive critisism. I was trying to point out the fact that your statement was innacurate in saying that no stompy deck ever runs draw/counter. Thats all

OK, It's true and I know very well (because I played it) that faerie stompy have card drawing in form of TfK or FoF, but lately FS players put less and less card drawing (except SoFI because it beats too). And It's true that FS decks have 4 FoW in its list, but this don't make them finally arguments.

Anyway, FS is not a completely stompy deck, its strategy its involved in have one creature with and equipment and protect it. If the creature deads, you play another, thats all, and stompy decks are based on play threads every turn, they are too different decks.

I don't know if I explain well myself because I'm not a native speaker.

First of all, I think the curve needs to be lowered quite a bit. Everything seems just too slow, especially with little to no disruption. I would suggest Chalice of the Void and a few counters, but then you just end up with the Sea Stompy thread's deck. Not that that is a bad thing, though.

Also, quote right. It's "It is better to close your mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt." (Mark Twain)

About the deck that's just the idea, if I will put rancors and more creatures instead counters and disruption, if not I will post in Sea Stompy thread. I only want to make a more aggro oriented version of Sea Stompy.

About the phrase, I'm spanish and I translated directly as it sounds in my language.