PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Enchantress

TheDrunkDwarf
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Enchantress has recently become one of my favorite casual decks. As such, I have started to streamline my deck to become competative in the various tourneys i attend. From a distance (not literally) the deck is solid, sporting a powerful draw engine, fast clock, maindecked utility and plenty of evasive fat. My current build is a more controlish build, but I am looking for the forums feedback on how to make the best possible enchantress for legacy.

The List -

21 Land
2 Serra's Sanctum
4 Brushland
4 Windswept Heath
2 Plains
9 Forest

15 Creatures
4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Yavimaya Elder
3 Troll Ascetic

24 Spells
4 Enchantress's Presence
3 Solitary Confinement
4 Utopia Sprawl
4 Seal of Cleansing
2 Sterling Grove
3 Rancor
2 Flickerform
2 Ancestral Mask

Now, this is by no means an 'optimal' build, but more something to start with.

Card Analysis:

Serra's Sanctum - Can add huge amounts of mana by itself with on a couple enchantments in play. Very helpful for powering Flickerform.

Argothian/Presence - Of the 4 Enchantresses (Argothian, Verduran, Fermef, Presence), I find that these 2 are the most durable and efficient. These are pretty self explanitory, as they provide the engine for the deck.

BoP - Mana Acceleration. Birds can also quickly become a huge threat with an enchantment or two on it. Its evasion and mana fixing place it over elves.

Yavimaya Enchantress - Your 3 mana fatty in the deck. Enchantress is a super efficient beatstick once the deck gets going. While she does need some form of evasion (rancor), she is nonetheless still very effective.

Troll - Sometimes feels clunky to play early game, as spending 3 mana on a non-enchantment feels like a weak move, troll is nearly indestructible and compliments enchantments very well. A mask or rancor on this guy is usually game.

Solitary Confinement - Godmode for 3 mana. Most decks I run into dont have maindeck disenchanting effects, and with enchantress's draw power, you can more than get around confinement's drawback.

Utopia Sprawl - Wild Growth's new cousin. It provides both mana acceleration and mana fixing, which is why i use it over the growth. On occasion it can make plays a tad tricky, but the fixing more than makes up for it.

Seal of Cleansing - Maindeck utility like this is often undervalued. I rarely play a deck where seal is useless. In any case, its a 2cc enchantment, so it pumps masks and yavimayas, and draws u cards.

Grove - A tutor that counts as an enchantment and protects your other enchantments? Yes please.

Flickerform - This card is what origionally inspired me to build a legacy-competative enchantress deck. This card allows a heavily enchanted fatty to dodge removal and nukes like deed.

Mask - i have found that too many masks is not good, i would probably never run 4, but these can supercharge a creature once enchantress gets started.

Alright, I'm sure you get the general idea. I'm looking for any suggestions/ideas that would make this a more competative deck. Also, any help in the form of playtesting would be appreciated, thank you.

Atwa
12-06-2006, 05:14 PM
In my opinion, the best way to build enchantress is to make a control/combo build.

I've dumped all the creatures except enchantress and elvish spirit guide and added Words of War and Words of Wilding as ways to kill your opponent. Use Elephant Guide and Solitary Confinement to stall your opponent, Sterling Grove to tutor silver bullets and win in turn 5/6.

If you're interested, I can post my list in the morning, I'm off to bed.

Lego
12-06-2006, 06:43 PM
The old Enchantress is still pretty hot, it just happens to lose to Threshold and Solidarity. That makes it less than good in this meta. It's a metagame deck though, so someday *shrug*

Jankwolf
12-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Out of curiousity....Why arent you running auratog and ensestral mask...? You have the rancor which you can continuosly sack to the tog and then replay for drawing more cards....You can also place the mask on birds for evasion purposes and swing with the really big tog at the same time...I ran this in my build and i was happy with the results. Also you can run words of worship in light of early life loss as well as a good way to prevent yourself from being decked against solidarity...just a thought...

freakish777
12-07-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm with Atawa on this. Where's Sylvan Library + "Replace Draws for Effects" Enchantments?

TheDrunkDwarf
12-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Hmmm... I guess I'll try the Words of (Blank) cards and see how they play out, but If possible I'd like to lean towards a more creature-based version.

Atwa
12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Here is my latest version of Legacy Enchantress, I haven't worked on it in a while, so the list isn't updated since the release of Ravnica, but the deck plays out wonderfull. I also have to second what Lego_Army_Man said: No mather how you build it, Enchantress dies to ******** and Solidarity. Solidarity can be won, but ***** has an advantage of at least 70% over you.

Enchantress by atwa2002

Mana:
6 Forest
4 Savannah
3 Windswept Heath
3 Elvish Spirit Guide
2 Plains
2 Serra's Sanctum
1 Taiga
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Mountain

Draw Engine:
4 Argothian Enchantress
4 Enchantress's Presence
2 Mirri's Guile (will replace them back for Sylvan Library sometime soon)
1 Sylvan Library

General Utility:
4 Wild Growth
4 Sterling Grove
4 Exploration
4 Elephant Grass
3 Solitary Confinement
2 Seal of Cleansing
1 Holistic Wisdom
1 Karmic Justice

Kill:
2 Words of War
1 Words of Wilding

Sideboard:
2 Aura of Silence
2 Words of Worship
2 Compost
2 Choke
2 City of Solitude
2 Sacred Ground
1 Sacred Mesa
1 Worship
1 Humility

This deck is in no way complete or finished, but I think it is a good starting point when building a control/combo build of Enchantress. Have fun.

Cavius The Great
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Solidarity can be won, but ***** has an advantage of at least 70% over you.

Funny you say that, cuz I beat UGW Threshold in a tourney with my B/G Enchantress Bloom deck. It's probably because my version was more combo oriented. I also made Top8 with it in a local tourney a while back but did horrible at the TMD Open. I'm just surprised I can actually beat Thresh with that thing. Even funnier, my Enchantress Bloom deck can't beat Solidarity. Go figure...

calosso
12-07-2006, 02:36 PM
There is already an Enchantress thread.

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2601

Atwa
12-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Funny you say that, cuz I beat UGW Threshold in a tourney with my B/G Enchantress Bloom deck. It's probably because my version was more combo oriented. I also made Top8 with it in a local tourney a while back but did horrible at the TMD Open. I'm just surprised I can actually beat Thresh with that thing. Even funnier, my Enchantress Bloom deck can't beat Solidarity. Go figure...

B/G means you can't use Solidary Confinement. Or Sterling Grove to tutor other answers like City of Solitude.

When building Enchantress, I might consider to drop the red cards, but the white cards are vital to any Enchantress deck in my opinion.

Lego
12-08-2006, 12:08 AM

I guarantee you that if I play enough games with 59 Mountain, 1 Mountain Goat, I'll eventually win a single game versus Threshold. Eventually I'll drop that sucker on turn 1 and swing 20 times for the win. It's bound to happen.

That said, it doesn't mean that your B/G Monstrosity has a good game against Threshold. They literally need to counter one card, and honestly, their clock isn't that much slower than yours. Build the deck right and it's not horrible, but if your clock is turn 6 or later, you've done something wrong.

As for Threshold in general, the old, original builds just post-split are the best. They're quite well tuned, and run very well. But like I've already said, that's not the problem. The decks goldfish quite well, they have wonderful protection and a fairly quick combo win. The problem is that that Goldfish isn't faster than Solidarity, and it simply cannot beat Threshold. Wait for the meta to change or something.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-08-2006, 11:10 AM
As a side note, the Living Wish build I think I posted at the end of the thread goes 50-50 with Thresh. But the literal auto-loss to Solidarity, and a bad match against combo in general, make it a poor venture.

On the other hand, if nobody plays Solidarity in your area, you can just run 4 CotV in the board and take your chances.

Raatcharch
12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
What about using In The Eye of Chaos to improve the Solidarity and Threshold matchups?

Cavius The Great
12-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Splashing blue over red is probably a better idea since you can go the combo route with Words of Wind and Cloud of Faeries.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Splashing blue over red is probably a better idea since you can go the combo route with Words of Wind and Cloud of Faeries.

There are a few reasons to splash Red;

Cloud of Faeries is usually win more, and is not an enchantment. It's slot in the deck could almost always be better used.

Without Cloud of Faeries, the difference between blue and red is pretty small.

The pros of blue;
-Allows some good SB options, like Mystic Remora.
-WoWind can randomly win the (very) occasional game against Solidarity, or Truffle Shuffle.

The cons of blue;
-WoWind is not in and of itself a kill condition. This can lead to compications.
-Accesory kill conditions are usually very slow; Sacred Mesa, for instance. This can cause problems with time.

The pros of red;
-WoWar is more useful on its own or with Sylvan Library than WoWind(though less, often, than WoWilding).
-It kills by itself, often in one turn.

The cons of red;
-Not a lot of useful SB options; possibly Boil.

But honestly, with the printing of Utopia Spawl, you should probably just run both.

Lord Xœvx Cvrsed
12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
You could run Mirari's wake in your enchantress deck. If you run sacred mesa or something else, maybe it's a good choice.
Blue is the better option because you can use worlds of wind. Seal of removal may help against aggro decks, but that's for me.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Mirari's Wake is irrelevant by the time you can cast it. Seal of Removal is generally worse than Elephant Grass, especially against Goblins. I'm not sure how to address the "argument" about being able to "play" Words of Wind. What does that mean, exactly? Why is that better?