PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] What would you play?

AnwarA101
12-07-2006, 02:09 PM
What would you play if you were going to a tournament but you couldn't play anything in the LMF (Gro, Goblins, or Solidarity)? Let's say for the sake of this discussion that you expect about 40% to be represented by these 3 decks and the other 60% is pretty much up for grabs. I've included poll options with decks that have had at least 2 Top8 appearances in the last 6 months in the US from the Historical Top8 thread. So what would you choose? If you don't like any of these choices what else would you go with?

GreenOne
12-07-2006, 02:17 PM
I'd play UBW HanniFish.

Shriekmaw
12-07-2006, 02:26 PM
I would play Vial Affinity because nobody plays with the hate against this deck, and it does beat the top tier decks in the format. A very good choice for a large metagame.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
I'd play with Landstill because it has the best match-up against Goblins, and does well agains Thresh and similiar decks. It also wouldn't take too much effort to SB against combo.

Alex_Van_R
12-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I would still choose for the Rock.
It beats thresh with ease. Goblins is 50/50 with a normal build, but with my latest build (posted it in the rock topic), it's at least 75-80/25-20 for the rock. Combo is a problem, but you have 4 maindecked Cabal Therapies, 4 copies of Duress and 1 Haunting Echoes in the sideboard. That improves the combomatchup a lot. Viewing the fact that you can flashback therapy, take disruption back with eternal witness can only make it better.
Against random decks, rock works fine as well.

Atwa
12-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I'd either play with Angel Stompy, Enchantress or Terrageddon.

Angel Stompy since I really like attacking with little white men.

Enchantress since it is a petdeck of mine, I'd love to play it when ******** ever loses it's DTB status.

Terrageddon since de deck is simply a beast. I've been toying around with Terravore decks since Oddysey, but Hugo van Dijke has perfected the deck. Ever since I got kicked in the balls by the deck, I've been testing the deck online, and it is a blast to play.

If I'd had to pick one, I'd go for Terrageddon.

Watcher487
12-07-2006, 02:38 PM
I'd actually play 5c Eternal Gardens with the Switch side board discussed over on the boards over here as opposed to SCG. You have a 60/40 matchup with Goblins, and you have a nasty 70/30 against Thresh. But the biggest problem is the Solidarity match-up which is usually a throw-away 10/90 (most cases) pre-board and at least 60/40 post-board.

Eldariel
12-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Do you even need to ask me?

Parcher
12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Je suis le crapaud. Je suis français. Je jouerais Aluren bien sûr.

Peter_Rotten
12-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Iggy. Just goldfish a bunch of random decks. If you can play it on auto-pilot, then you should have quite a few easy matches. But kiss your ass good bye once you hit some counters.

Alex_Van_R
12-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Iggy. Just goldfish a bunch of random decks. If you can play it on auto-pilot, then you should have quite a few easy matches. But kiss your ass good bye once you hit some counters.

And both Thresh and Solidarity play counters...
Not a good choice eh.

Bryant Cook
12-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Which is why you'd play TES.

overlord95
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
I'd play with Landstill because it has the best match-up against Goblins, and does well agains Thresh and similiar decks. It also wouldn't take too much effort to SB against combo.
I'm with Spatula on this one.

Nightmare
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
What would you play if you were going to a tournament but you couldn't play anything in the LMF (Gro, Goblins, or Solidarity)?Can I choose to play in the Vintage side event? Or play Type 4?

Machinus
12-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Ancient Tomb

Fortifitakitors
12-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I'd play ANGRY Quakers... or the tech yet to be found...

MasterBlaster
12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I'd like to play Faerie Stompy. That is assuming that I could get the cards I need for the deck.

SpatulaOfTheAges
12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Also, as awesome as you are Anwar, putting in an "other" option is just begging people to pimp their pet decks.

AngryTroll
12-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I'd play...what a surprise, I know....RGbSA. You have pretty good game against Goblins, Great game against Threshold, and a fighting chance against Solidarity with 4 Duress, 3 Therapy, Burning Wish and a clock. 4 REB or 4 Pyroclastic Pillars from the sideboard bring you to a full 11 hate cards main, and Burning Wish to help out too in games two and three.

You also smash up randomness pretty well. The deck doesn't auto win against anything, but it does pretty well against everything.

Lord Xœvx Cvrsed
12-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Wake is my favourite deck and i'd like to see in in legacy as a competitive deck. I'm improving the playability of a loam-wake deck.
If affinity can be competitive, why not wake?

Now i'm playing U/W landstill.

Kadishack
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM

I would make the same choice and I did.

Jankwolf
12-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I'd bring out Pox...Not old pox...Just straight up new pox....
It deals with goblins Post sideboard....Thresh runs a weak mana base that pox will redilly attack....And solidairty loses to discard and oppression...
None of the match-ups are auto-wins....But the matchs are fun and far from unbeatable....

AnwarA101
12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Also, as awesome as you are Anwar, putting in an "other" option is just begging people to pimp their pet decks.

I was a bit torn on whether to include the "other" option, but I can see how it will lead people to just choose their pet decks. The poll only allowed me to have 10 choices so I couldn't list every possible deck that has ever seen play, but I tried to limit it to the decks that have done well recently outside of the LMF.

Looks like everyone is choosing "other" so maybe the results won't be very productive.

Di
12-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Survival. People seriously underestimate the archtype. Even now with the big3 the deck can easily hold it's own, and I think it would run wild if those were out of the picture.

I'd actually play 5c Eternal Gardens with the Switch side board discussed over on the boards over here as opposed to SCG. You have a 60/40 matchup with Goblins, and you have a nasty 70/30 against Thresh. But the biggest problem is the Solidarity match-up which is usually a throw-away 10/90 (most cases) pre-board and at least 60/40 post-board.

I was also debating this as well, but my bias towards Survival made me lean towards it. But Garden would also be an excellent choice(and technically, it's a pretty good choice right now with my new robust list). But when you mention the other discussion, what are you referring to? As far as I know, the only discussion on the deck was here. If there is some elsewhere, would you mind pointing me to it, as I'm rather interested.

troopatroop
12-07-2006, 05:06 PM
ATSwB

Survival.

Anarky87
12-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I voted for Red Death, but I'd also might consider Deadguy as well. Recently I've been in a mood just to blow a bunch of lands up, hit my opponent repeatedly with discard and swing with fatties. My second choice would be 4c Landstill though. That deck just steamrolls a lot of stuff.

Bardo
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
HanniFish.

kirdape3
12-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Affinity, Ill-Gotten Gains, Ashok-Reanimator, Aggro-Loam would probably be the choices.

Whit3 Ghost
12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Stax/Razorcore
Landstill
Di's new Garden list
Survival of some sort.

emidln
12-07-2006, 06:57 PM
My UbaStax list with Razorcore. That's what I play anyway.

herbig
12-07-2006, 07:09 PM
ProsBloom

mikekelley
12-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Faerie Stompy

Mirrislegend
12-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I chose Landstill. BHWC Landstill is ridiculously awesome. And my pet deck is DeadHeads.dec, so I'm not just pimping my pet deck. Says something for that BHWC Landstill.

btw, what does BHWC even stand for?

Parcher
12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Bitches and Ho's. West Coast.

Brushwagg
12-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Survival of some sorts seems to be pretty good. It can hold it's own with Goblins, and has a good game aganist NQG. Combo could be addressed in either the board or main or both without effecting your deck to much. You have access to Glowrider (which control hates to see also), Meddling Mage (Playing with birds and vials his Blue/White really isn't a problem), and a few other things.

Lego
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Angel Stompy, obviously. Unless you're man enough for Truffle Shuffle.

outsideangel
12-08-2006, 03:34 AM
Ideally, TES with 4 Duress. In testing that deck has just felt right.

DeathwingZERO
12-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Probably still play my variant of Deadguy Ale. I love IGGy to death, but the sideboard is devoted almost completely to beating control, and it cripples you to not get solid draw in the first turn.

Plus, Smallpox is just SO much fun to play against aggro builds. Card advantage is sweet.

Bongo
12-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Ashok Reanimator.

Very explosive, and can easily be tuned to have good matchups against the gauntlet.

Second choice would be Affinity, as it sometimes just wins, especially when there isn't any artifact hate.

jamest
12-08-2006, 04:38 PM
I normally play Faerie Stompy, but if I really wanted to win, I'd bring Iggy. Those who think it folds to a few counters haven't been developing the deck.

Jaynel
12-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Survival of the Fittest allows one to run a lot of tools that help in today's metagame, and many builds, like Quicksilver's RGBSA, aren't incredibly reliant on getting a Survival to stick. They can go beatdown with efficient dudes (FTK, Troll Ascetic and Hierarch) and hand disruption.

umbowta
12-08-2006, 06:54 PM
I could basically put together any of those decks at a moments notice and I do enjoy playing all of them, with the exception of Reanimator. I'd probably play Landstill but, damn I love Zoo. I'm such a noob.

One option I was shocked to see missing from the list was Salvagers Combo, so good. Also, where's Thunder Bluff on that list? Digeridoo is teh pwnz.

Volt
12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Meat Hooks, of course.

on1y0ne
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
I would play "The Deck"

I would play the original one with Serra Angel and Jayemdae Tome. I would just sub out the banned moxes with Chrome Moxes and Mox Diamonds, Lotus with an LED, Balance with a FOF, Ancestral Recall with an Ancestral Visions, and Library of Alexandria with a Misdirection. I'm not saying it would be good, but it's worth a shot...

Citrus-God
12-08-2006, 11:19 PM
I would go for TES and Angel Stompy... but if your a real man, you'd play mothafuckin' Wombat over Truffle Shuffle.

Kadaj
12-09-2006, 12:09 PM
I would play a variant of Psychatog. Whether it would be traditional or Dredge-a-Tog depends on whether I expected more combo or more aggro, but either choice would be a good one.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
12-09-2006, 03:15 PM
Of the listed decks, I'd play Landstill as it's most in tune with my playstyle, and one of the stronger contenders. Although I think Raffinity and Reanimator are both decks that are very underplayed right now and surprisingly strong.

Cait_Sith
12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
I'd do either IggyPop or Slaver Control.

GreenOne
12-11-2006, 06:48 AM
ProsBloom

Are you serious??? I want that decklist! :eek: