PDA

View Full Version : [Deck] UR Storm Control/Combo

ReAnimator
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
I posted this deck on the drain but i haven't really gotten any feedback, any help would be appreciated.

This is a deck i've been tinkering with for a little bit but i don't have a lot of time to test and am looking for some help from people who are a little more knowledgeable with the legacy metagame.

It most closely resembles Solidarity i suppose or maybe spring tide but you don't need to devote as many slots to cards that only help the combo (top and grapeshot have additional uses). *** I am in no way saying this is better than those decks***
It has a similar shell to solidarity with it's card drawing and countering suite, but it has less narrow cards, and a little more defense vs goblins and creatures in general (not that high tide really needs it).
The trade off of being more focused is that instead of relying on synergy through cards working well and drawing into the things you need as you are going off, this is a 'hard combo' that needs 4 cards, this isn't nearly as awful as it sounds as one of your pieces helps find the other pieces (and if you think about it that way high tide or iggy are essentially 10 card combo decks). This deck is capable of really fast wins (turn 2) but it has no problem waiting or buying time to assemble itself, as obviously you are not going to win turn 2 very often unless you are the luckiest man alive.

UR Storm Combo/Control

4 Force of will
4 Remand
4 Sensei's divining Top
4 Helm of awakening
4 Brainstorm

2 Brainfreeze
2 Grapeshot
4 Fire/Ice
4 Impulse
4 Repeal
2 Thirst for knowledge
2 Serum Visions

4 Chrome mox
6 Fetches
4 volcanic islands
6 Islands

SB
2 REB
2 Pyroblast
4 BEB
2 pyroclasm's
3 defense grids
2 counterbalance or echoing truth.

Here are some thoughts and observations/suggestions on the deck and card choices.

It has been suggested to me to make this more controlling with things like trinket mage (for EExplosives and needle or top) and dropping the moxes for city of traitors. This is certainly an idea i just have not tested it if someone else wants to feel free, i would really appreciate it.
I like the moxes more than Cities at the moment because of all the 2 CC spells, as it lets you kill lackeys or bounce vials turn 1 or even just cast an impulse.

If you do go for a slower version, it is probably better to play less helms and win conditions and just more tutoring and card drawing, I like the redundant configuration as you don't have to dig as much and you can mise earlier wins that much easier.

The only maindeck hate that you really can't deal with game one is a chalice at 1. I'm fine with that as there are not a lot of decks that run that maindeck and the few that do are rare enough that I'm willing to take that chance. If more FStompy or Stax style decks get played I'm willing to try merchant scrolls or maybe cunning wish maindeck to get solutions (or trinket mage for EExplosives).

Cunning wish probably doesn't belong as your combo doesn't actually make mana so casting it will be too expensive and probably spread over two turns which is slow.

Remands could become Counterspells but I like all the cantripping effects as they can really add up and help you assemble winning hands.

The sideboard hasn't really been tested that much i just liked the 8 blast plan as it is really good against all the 'big 3' Something more optimal may be available it was just a starting point.

Locket of yesterdays is not really worth trying, as you don't want to rely on the graveyard, and it requires another step to the combo. Obviously you never want to drop Helms until you can win, except in really special circumstances like vs 43 land.

The grapeshot brainfreeze split is intentional. They are both situationally better than the other, grapeshot relies on red which is bad, but it can kill mages and goblins and it can get around blessing, (as unlike tide you can't wish your way around that). Brainfreeze is really good vs counter decks or other storm decks, (though i doubt this will steal many game 1's vs high tide).

The thirst for knowledges could maybe be extra serum visions I'm not really sure. I wanted some actual card drawing not just all the replacement and selection.

Back to basics is an interesting sideboard option, I'm not really sure if it is necessary but it could be good for certain decks.

Your game against BW seems like it could be rough but I'm not sure how played that archetype is anymore.

Its possible this deck needs a little less defense (fire/ice) and a few more mana sources but hopefully someones testing will bear that out.
It's possible grapeshots are just better than fire and ice even though it is less versitile.

If there has been a deck like this in the past that I'm unaware of please let me know or link me, i don't really want to be treading on old ground even if it was found independently.

Finaly, this deck really does need a better name if anyone wants to come up with something (though no undescriptive wombat style shenanigans)

Iranon
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
To be frank, running 4 Helms of Awakening sounds horrible. If you are willing to splash white, Enlightened Tutor is the way to go... in which case you probably want to expand your toolbox (Isochron Scepter, possibly Pithing Needle...).

If you want to keep it mono-blue, Muddle the Mixture is a surprisingly versatile tutor although the mana cost is a bit on the high side.

Counterbalance should probably in the main as it has synergy with everything to do. There is a Counterbalance Control thread which might be helpful (started by yours truly, with a much simpler and not very good deck... but others made some interesting contributions that share similarities with your list). It might be worth a look.

Edit: Bad memory. there is a far more relevant thread:

http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3969