4 [7E] Duress

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [MR] Rule of Law
SB: 4 [R] Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 3 [US] Oppression
SB: 2 [8E] Boil
SB: 2 [DK] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 Bloodmoon

My main concern right now is card draw and how I have none.

Mana Base:

My base seems a bit shaky, and I think sufficient wastelandage would kick my ass. I have spells require double colors in each color, and this is the only way I could see myself drawing the colors I needed.

Exalted Angel: Helps you win games you shouldn't. Seals the deal in close games. Morphs. Survives starstorm. Angel is very useful.

Vindicate: It blows stuff up like no other. Currently my only way to deal with artifacts and enchantments

Phyresian totem: Survives wrath and stuff. Makes a very hard clock once it comes online. Is better than negator in this deck.

Starstorm: Sweeper. It cycles vs combo.

Wog: Killing creatures is a good thing

Stp: Lackey mostly. It kills stuff that isn't mongoose.

Bolt: Removal, but it can end the game when you need that to happen quickly.

Smallpox: Very good card for being recent. Kills mongoose. Not really dead in any matchup.

Hymn to tourach: good vs combo, solid vs other stuff. It kind of gets less useful towards the end of the game, but I like it.

Duress: Just a good card.

I haven't run this deck yet because I don't have vindicates, and this deck is not yet finalized. But I plan on playing it very soon.

MasterBlaster
12-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Dropping 4 Hymn to Tourachs for 4 Gerard's Verdict will help you not get colorscrewed.

Dropping Red altogether might be in your best interest. Perhaps replacing Startorm with Infest and Lightning Bolt with Hyppie/Jotun Grunt/Confidant/some other creature.

With Red out of the deck your manabase will be more stable and perhaps then you can support Wasteland or Mishra's Factory.

kicks_422
12-12-2006, 05:49 AM
Agreed. Red does so little in the deck that you might want to drop it altogether. Unless there's a compelling reason to run red (Your Blood Moon in the SB is not tech by the way, just look at your land base), you might want to drop the color and turn this into the direction of a B/W mid-game control deck.

erdjinn
12-12-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree in cutting red. And I would try to reduce the spells with BB in the casting cost.
So I'd run Diabolic Edict for Smallpox, and I'd probably cut Hymns also.

Another option is cutting WW spells and increase the number of your black cards. Maybe this is better since your WW spells cost more and you're more likely to get that double color in the mid-late game.

Just a note about Confidant: Bob is very good, but with Exalted Angel, Wrath and many 3cc spells you'd take tons of damage.

Mirrislegend
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I agree: drop red.

However, if you are hellbent on including red, change Starstorm to Pyroclams, Hymn to Gerrard's Verdict, and Smallpox to Lightning Helix. And get rid of Blood Moon in the sb. Blood Moon wrecks you more than any other deck ever. Change it to another Crypt. So, in total:

MD:
-4 Starstorm
-4 Hymn to Tourach
-4 Smallpox
+4 Pyroclasm
+4 Gerrard's Verdict
+4 Lightning Helix

SB:
-1 Blood Moon
+1 Tormod's Crypt

... You know what? I like this deck, with my changes. It looks like it would stomp all over Legacy's aggro and aggro-control decks, and maintain a decent game vs Combo (Duress and Verdict, and reach via burn). The matchup vs counter-based control looks bad, though. Moreso than draw, I think this deck needs to find room for Pithing Needle and Disenchant between the MD and SB. And it needs a decent mana base. Other than that, I think this actually has potential

Cait_Sith
12-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Bloodmoon + 4 basics total? You are going to hose yourself.

clavio
12-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Why pyroclasm over starstorm? It doesn't cycle or kill mongoose.

Bloodmoon comes in for 43land.dec. That is all. It hoses the shit out of me, but they are even more hosed.

The main reason I wanted to run red was so I could use all my awesome dual lands. And by awesome dual lands, I mean all the lands no body wants.

Complete_Jank
12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I ran a B/W/r Control Deck. It was more focused around Braids and LD.

If you end up running Red and White, look at how Goblin Trenches could effect the deck. It isn't a 4 of, or even a 3 of, but 2 as alternate wins can be nice.

I cut Angels in my current deck because of Small Pox. You don't want to Wrath or Pox away an Angel.

clavio
12-12-2006, 06:46 PM
What were your kill conditions in that deck?

Complete_Jank
12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
What were your kill conditions in that deck?

I did not run Small Pox as it was not Legal or even printed.

I played 3 Angels, 4 Braids, and 2 Goblin Trenches. Use the search engine and type in "The Ex-Girlfriend"

That was the name of the deck.

clavio
12-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Novus list

// Lands
4 [U] Badlands
1 [ST] Swamp (1)
4 [A] Scrubland
4 [U] Plateau
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [ON] Wooded Foothills
2 [MR] Plains (3)
1 [ST] Mountain (4)

// Creatures
3 [ON] Exalted Angel

// Spells
3 [7E] Duress
3 [RAV] Lightning Helix
3 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (1)
3 [OD] Skeletal Scrying
3 [WL] Abeyance
3 [AP] Vindicate
3 [R] Swords to Plowshares
3 [AT] Lightning Bolt
3 [U] Wrath of God
3 [ON] Starstorm
3 [TS] Phyrexian Totem
2 [AP] Goblin Trenches

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [OD] Haunting Echoes
SB: 3 [US] Oppression
SB: 3 [9E] Pyroclasm
SB: 3 [R] Circle of Protection: Red

While smallpox may be the best card printed in a long time, it doesn't belong in this deck

Ive had no problems getting the double mana needed for hymn/wog/starstorm

I may drop angel for nether spirit and/or DOJ.

Haunting echoes is an interesting card and usually beats threshold as soon as it is cast.

Goblin trenches are fairly solid.

BossOfTheGame
12-21-2006, 09:32 PM
That seems a more stable build. I was just testing it and rocking combo and control. I was playing this junk elf deck though and it seemed to give me trouble. Granted I never drew anything I needed ie the pyroclasms, wraths, starstorms, or goblin trenches.

clavio
12-28-2006, 01:40 PM
New list:

// Lands
4 [U] Badlands
1 [ST] Swamp (1)
4 [A] Scrubland
4 [U] Plateau
4 [ON] Bloodstained Mire
2 [MR] Plains (3)
1 [ST] Mountain (4)
2 [ON] Wooded Foothills

// Creatures
3 [ON] Exalted Angel

// Spells
4 [7E] Duress
3 [RAV] Lightning Helix
4 [FE] Hymn to Tourach (1)
3 [AP] Vindicate
3 [R] Swords to Plowshares
3 [AT] Lightning Bolt
4 [U] Wrath of God
3 [ON] Starstorm
3 [TS] Phyrexian Totem
2 [SC] Decree of Justice
3 [FD] Night's Whisper

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [OD] Haunting Echoes
SB: 3 [9E] Pyroclasm
SB: 3 [R] Circle of Protection: Red
SB: 3 [US] Planar Void

I dropped trenchies for DOJ. Doj just seems better

I needed to play planar void in the board to combat decks that play loam. Because of this I switched skeletal scrying to Night's Whisper.

People have suggested dropping red. I would run red for no other reason than to run starstorm.

Im thinking about dropping stp for +1 bolt +1starstorm and +1 night's whisper.