4 Relic Barrier

Side Board:
2 Sphere of Resistance
1 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Hydroblast
3 Cursed Totem
2 Arcane Laboratory
4 Chalice of the Void

Some choices: There are the cards I feel will be the most questioned.

Academy Ruins: This deck is so artifact heavy that this seemed like an auto include.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale: This big problem with lockdown decks is that aggro will rip them apart time and time again. With this I am able to slow down their ability to play creatures. Combined with Propaganda this can turn aggro decks almost off.

Chronatog: This + Tangle Wire(s) totalling 3 or greater and Static Orb = lockdown except vs 2 cost instants and 1 cost not instant. It may not seems like much but I have been decked while playing this before I added Chronatog.

Daze: If I have no way of tapping the Static Orb Daze offers me both a pitch counter is a very tight mana race and a land drop next turn.

Static Orb: Some people would say Winter Orb is better, but Static Orb can also mess with aggressive deck, decks that use creatures for mana acceleration, decks that use artifacts for mana acceleration (who does though, really? Chrome mox? Mox Diamond? They are for newbs.)

Relic Barrier: People will probably vote for Icy Manipulator, which would be nice I admit, but this costs 50% as much and does not require me keeping a land open so I can tap Howling Mine or Static Orb is I need to.

Sphere of Resistance: I am honestly not sure if I want to keep this anymore...

Sideboard:

Cursed Totem: This is a good way to slow some Thresh and Madness variants down until I can lock them up somehow.

Matchups:
Solidarity/Burn: I am putting these together because their game 1 plan is about identical. You need to get the Chronatog lockdown listed above and hope they don't mess with him. Burn is slightly harder since being stuck at a pattern of 1-2 land doesn't hurt them quite as much. Either way these are hard matchups. Their sideboarding goes very diffretnly for these:

Solidarity: -4 Propaganda and -3 The Tabernacle and Pendrell Vale +2 Arcane Lab, +3 Chalice of the Void, +2 Sphere of Resistance

Burn: -4 Propaganda, -1 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, -1 Chronatog +4 Chalice of the Void, +3 Hydroblast, +1 Blue Elemental Blast

Goblins: This is actually a very good matchup overall. It would be a bye, except for Siege-Gang Commander. This dude can win the game all by himself (and has a number of times). Game 1 you just need to mess up their mana base enough that Propaganda prevents them from making a real attack. Swoop down from above with Efreet for the win.

Sideboarding: -2 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, +3 Hydroblast, +1 Blue Elemental Blast

Thresh: Ouch... This is probably the worst aggro matchup for this deck. The fact they use a smaller number of creature that become massive means that it is alot harder to lock down their mana base enough that they cannot attack. Propaganda is the MVP here. Typically you need 2 of them to be able to accomplish anything. Beware the mongeese, you cannot bounce them en masse!

Sideboarding: -2 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, -1 Chronatog, -1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, -1 Howling Mine, +4 Chalice of the Void, +3 Cursed Totem

I have not been able to test against other decks, but I would relish the opportunity.

Lego
12-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Okay, let me be serious here. You can't beat Solidarity or Thresh if your life depended on it, and you go 50/50 at best versus Goblins. Am I getting that right? Okay, now that we've got that settled, explain why I should play this deck.

Edited for asshattery. Keep it cool, bro. - Zilla

clavio
12-12-2006, 06:29 PM
You're matchups aren't that bad....

Try running 3 static orbs and 3 winter orbs.

Winter orb is much better in the solidarity match. I have found that I usually beat solidarity. In fact, I don't think I have ever lost a match to solidarity and I use Relic Orb a lot. I would say that solidarity is 80% in your favor, and I don't even play that chronatog nonsense

-1 efreet
+1 morpling
needle ftl.

You definitely don't need maindeck sphere.

winter orb + port is a much harsher lock than static orb + port

Do you really need 3 echoing truth?

You don't need arcane lab.

Amoeba-
12-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Why not just play Stasis? You can Needle a Relic Barrier. There's no way to Needle a Stasis. And its a better lock.

Cait_Sith
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
You're matchups aren't that bad....

Try running 3 static orbs and 3 winter orbs.

Winter orb is much better in the solidarity match. I have found that I usually beat solidarity. In fact, I don't think I have ever lost a match to solidarity and I use Relic Orb a lot. I would say that solidarity is 80% in your favor, and I don't even play that chronatog nonsense

-1 efreet
+1 morpling
needle ftl.

You definitely don't need maindeck sphere.

winter orb + port is a much harsher lock than static orb + port

Do you really need 3 echoing truth?

You don't need arcane lab.

Yea the maindeck Sphere is definately anti-tech. I am not sold on the Morphling since it is more expensive in an already pricey deck.

Static can injure alot more than Worb, period. Probably I'll do -2 Sphere +2 Worb.

Stasis? Let me put it this way. If they needle Relic Barrier than it will make the game into the near same. If the don't I can come out way ahead. Stasis requires a large upkeep (without untaps U is alot) while virtually ignoring one of the top decks, Solidarity.

Solidarity can still be dealt with, it is just difficult beyond belief. Alot of aggressive casting is in order.

Thresh: My Thresh matchup is still good, just not nearly as good as it should be since ***** is principally Aggro.

Amoeba-
12-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Yea the maindeck Sphere is definately anti-tech. I am not sold on the Morphling since it is more expensive in an already pricey deck.

Static can injure alot more than Worb, period. Probably I'll do -2 Sphere +2 Worb.

Stasis? Let me put it this way. If they needle Relic Barrier than it will make the game into the near same. If the don't I can come out way ahead. Stasis requires a large upkeep (without untaps U is alot) while virtually ignoring one of the top decks, Solidarity.

Solidarity can still be dealt with, it is just difficult beyond belief. Alot of aggressive casting is in order.

Thresh: My Thresh matchup is still good, just not nearly as good as it should be since ***** is principally Aggro.

Bolded part: Stasis you can easily work around with Forsaken City.

Cait_Sith
12-12-2006, 09:38 PM
The problem with that then is I no longer hand mana based land drops, but my opponent does. I would need Exploration in play to do anything more.

outsideangel
12-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Wasn't there already a threat on this deck? Lemme see...

Yep, there was, page three. Just checking, lest I begin to believe I'm going batshit.

Anyway... like I said there, (I think) Howling Mine it the lose. The only time it doesn't suck is when you've got a tapper, but if you've got a tapper, you shouldn't be pissanting about with the Mine, you should be dropping an Orb and winning. Also Impulse finds you what you want now and even if it doesn't, at least it cleared away four dead draws. And it's blue, so it pitches to Force.

I played around with the orbs a bit until I got comfortable with either 3/3 Static/Winter or 2/4 Static/Winter, but I liked the first one more, I think, as Static Orb is much better against Goblins and other random jank decks that play mana critters. I'd cut the Spheres, because they're symmetrical and can really bit you in the ass.

My list also ran an Ebony Owl Netsuke as a non-creature win condition, and used Morphling instead of the second Efreet to dodge Needle/Mage.

I think I only ran two bounce spells, and did like 3/2 Relic Orb/Icy Manipulator. Icy is a little more expensive, which can hamper you a bit at times (though the two-mana lands help) but it's ability to tap down creatures with Static Orb out, or even just function like an extra Port, make it solid.

I also played around with a white splash a bit, figuring that the deck was already vulnerable to Wasteland anyway. Enlightened Tutor helped set up some nice early wins, and Ghostly Prison added more Propaganda effects, which are always good vs. Goblins. I guess you could run StP too but the deck didn't really have a lot of room.

Cait_Sith
12-13-2006, 07:17 AM
I looked down to page three to check and I didn't see it, I R BLIND! Thank you. The Howling Mines caused me to lose when all 7, at the time. of me Orb were at the bottom of my library. By bottom I mean, I conceded when I had 17 cards in my library without drawing one. I'll see how I can twise some stuff in, but I love the idea of Ebony Owl Netsuke! It should help out alot in PTing.

Cavius The Great
12-16-2006, 01:30 PM
I love lockdown way too much, so here is my take on Relic Orb:

10 Island
1 Academy Ruins
3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
4 Rishadan Port
3 Ancient Tomb
2 Blinkmoth Well

2 Rainbow Efreet
1 Chronatog

4 Force of Will
4 Daze
3 Tangle Wire
4 Propaganda
4 Static Orb
3 Echoing Truth
2 Sphere of Resistance
4 Howling Mine
2 Counterspell
4 Relic Barrier

Side Board:
2 Sphere of Resistance
1 Blue Elemental Blast
3 Hydroblast
3 Cursed Totem
2 Arcane Laboratory
4 Chalice of the Void

Some choices: There are the cards I feel will be the most questioned.

Academy Ruins: This deck is so artifact heavy that this seemed like an auto include.

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale: This big problem with lockdown decks is that aggro will rip them apart time and time again. With this I am able to slow down their ability to play creatures. Combined with Propaganda this can turn aggro decks almost off.

Chronatog: This + Tangle Wire(s) totalling 3 or greater and Static Orb = lockdown except vs 2 cost instants and 1 cost not instant. It may not seems like much but I have been decked while playing this before I added Chronatog.

Daze: If I have no way of tapping the Static Orb Daze offers me both a pitch counter is a very tight mana race and a land drop next turn.

Static Orb: Some people would say Winter Orb is better, but Static Orb can also mess with aggressive deck, decks that use creatures for mana acceleration, decks that use artifacts for mana acceleration (who does though, really? Chrome mox? Mox Diamond? They are for newbs.)

Relic Barrier: People will probably vote for Icy Manipulator, which would be nice I admit, but this costs 50% as much and does not require me keeping a land open so I can tap Howling Mine or Static Orb is I need to.

Sphere of Resistance: I am honestly not sure if I want to keep this anymore...

Sideboard:

Cursed Totem: This is a good way to slow some Thresh and Madness variants down until I can lock them up somehow.

Matchups:
Solidarity/Burn: I am putting these together because their game 1 plan is about identical. You need to get the Chronatog lockdown listed above and hope they don't mess with him. Burn is slightly harder since being stuck at a pattern of 1-2 land doesn't hurt them quite as much. Either way these are hard matchups. Their sideboarding goes very diffretnly for these:

Solidarity: -4 Propaganda and -3 The Tabernacle and Pendrell Vale +2 Arcane Lab, +3 Chalice of the Void, +2 Sphere of Resistance

Burn: -4 Propaganda, -1 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, -1 Chronatog +4 Chalice of the Void, +3 Hydroblast, +1 Blue Elemental Blast

Goblins: This is actually a very good matchup overall. It would be a bye, except for Siege-Gang Commander. This dude can win the game all by himself (and has a number of times). Game 1 you just need to mess up their mana base enough that Propaganda prevents them from making a real attack. Swoop down from above with Efreet for the win.

Sideboarding: -2 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, +3 Hydroblast, +1 Blue Elemental Blast

Thresh: Ouch... This is probably the worst aggro matchup for this deck. The fact they use a smaller number of creature that become massive means that it is alot harder to lock down their mana base enough that they cannot attack. Propaganda is the MVP here. Typically you need 2 of them to be able to accomplish anything. Beware the mongeese, you cannot bounce them en masse!

Sideboarding: -2 Sphere of Resistance, -2 Counterspell, -1 Chronatog, -1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale, -1 Howling Mine, +4 Chalice of the Void, +3 Cursed Totem

I have not been able to test against other decks, but I would relish the opportunity.

Why on earth aren't you running Brainstorm?

clavio
12-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Chalice of the void