PDA

View Full Version : [Brainstorming] Greater Gargadon

Happy Gilmore
12-19-2006, 11:33 PM
I seriously cant be the only one who sees this combo..

Greater Gargadon + Restore Balance....

add a force of Will, chant/control shell and we might have ourselves a new control deck.

Cait_Sith
12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
Then I play one counter through and you lose. Not to mention Restore Balance takes 6 turns to run. Legacy = Turn 4. That means you'll be online turn 8 at best.

Jak
12-20-2006, 12:32 AM
Well if he built it around something to slow combo and aggro down it could work. Something with a lot of permanents like stax. I will try to come up with a build if I mhave time.

Phya
12-20-2006, 01:43 AM
My question is: If both cards of the combo and all cards that can manipulate time counters are Standard legal and the deck isn't viable in Standard how would it be able to compete in Legacy?

I mean, if you have a list that turns out to be good more power to you but I don't think it will work.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
12-20-2006, 04:18 AM
Wow, not bothering to do the math yourself before posting a deck idea. That's a new acchievement in laziness.

Turn 1- Suspend Restore Balance.

Turn 2- Remove a counter. 5 left.

Turn 3- Remove a counter. 4 left.

Turn 4- Remove a counter. 3 left.

Turn 5- Remove a counter. 2 left.

Turn 6- Remove a counter. 1 left.

Somewhere in here you need to suspend Greater Gargadon, but I can't be bothered to do the math on that one yet.

Turn 7- Suppose you play and resolve Restore Balance now and sac everything to Gargadon first (it's extremely important that this can't put Gargadon into play). Let's say the board is clear.

Turn 8- Remove the last counter from Gargadon and play him. Attack for 9. Goldfish is at 11.

Turn 9- Attack for 9. A goldfish is at 2 life.

Turn 10- Yay, you finally killed the Goldfish!

This idea is almost as well-thought out and viable as Aluratog. (http://mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4808) Almost, but not quite.

Happy Gilmore
12-20-2006, 04:20 AM
I bought Greater Gargadon (MTGO) and Restore Balance. What I found that was Restore Balance was kind of weak. but the Gargadon was amazing.

A much better combo would be Gargadon and Balancing act, which I am testing now. Using gigadrowse and Overmaster I resolve the balancing act as early as turn 3 (not worth it at this point anyway). I cant aford Chants or that sort of thing but the combo is quite good. I am also using Ancestral vision, which helps dump my hand earlier with a fast reload later.

basically we are looking at a new version of balancing tings but without the horrible manabase. Flagstones ( the new legendary plains is so incredible in this deck) its there early sacked to gardadon-> search for dual->use duals next couple of turns->resolve balancing act. Gargadon come down soon after or that turn, depending.

I can see a version with Force of Will along with Chant being quite potent.

Bryant Cook
12-20-2006, 10:56 AM
Fake threads just aren't funny anymore.

Mirrislegend
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
I can see a version with Force of Will along with Chant being quite potent.

Well, you're the only one that sees that. Gargadon has already been put in Extended Balancing Tings, and the deck still sucks in that format. Why would it be viable here?

Cait_Sith
12-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Fake threads just aren't funny anymore.

I think he's serious. The card does have potential in like a Land Equilibrium/Armageddon/Gargadon lockdown deck. It gives another out for him to blow up his lands to stop his opponents. Of course getting rid of his opponents lands is another matter.