PDA

View Full Version : Custom Playmats how are they made?? Pics inside.

al the great
12-26-2006, 05:29 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Magic-Akroma-Angel-of-Wrath-Yu-Gi-Oh-Play-Mat-14x24_W0QQitemZ320062039870QQihZ011QQcategoryZ49197QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Last week I traded some kid that got top 8 in states for Yugioh for his playmat that he won (no it doesnt say yugioh it's just a red upperdeck mat). So I started to look up ebay to see custom playmats and there is only 1-2 people selling custom playmats. The other guy is selling anything you want printed on the mat for 50 dollars, mat included. IMO that's extremely pricey.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if kinkos or copy place are able to print out the mats. I understand there are easier ways like making custom shirts but like the auction I showed above it says it's actually part of the mat so it's really hard to scratch off.

Brushwagg
12-26-2006, 10:04 PM
I know Mr. Nightmare did his own. Except for the Tiger. He has a cloth one and used Sharpie and paint pen on his. It does help to have some artistict talent too.

insertnamehere
12-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I had one of the old school playmats airbrushed by an artist. The new playmats need to be screen printed to look like they do.

hi-val
12-27-2006, 10:46 AM
If I owned the copyright to Akroma's art, I'd be writing up a Cease & Desist letter right about now.

Unless you work for a professional printing company, I doubt that you can get anywhere near that quality. You can try out silkscreening; if you have any questions about it, I can help, as I do a bit of silkscreening myself.

Nightmare
12-27-2006, 10:55 AM
A guy in Syracuse went to a screenprinting shop with a blank (white) playmat like that and got some pictures of some half-naked chick printed on them. I know you can do it, your best bet is to go to a silkscreener in your area with the mat and start asking questions.