PDA

View Full Version : Is Fruitcake Elemental playable? I mean that in the literal sense

Cavius The Great
12-26-2006, 03:11 PM
I recently saw that Wizards came out with an ultra rare card titled "Fruitcake Elemental". Here's the link for reference.

http://sales.starcitygames.com/carddisplay.php?product=44085

I realize if something is silver bordered that it shouldn't be playable. But that's only the front of the card, to my knowledge. If the back of the card is indistinguishable from an ordinary Magic card then it probably should be playable. What do you guys think? Let me know if this beastly monstrosity for a creature is a playable card.

Firebrothers
12-26-2006, 03:44 PM
Im fairly sure that they wouldent print a playable card and release it exclusively to a select number of people. So to answer your question no i believe it is not playable.

Watcher487
12-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I realize if something is silver bordered that it shouldn't be playable. But that's only the front of the card, to my knowledge. If the back of the card is indistinguishable from an ordinary Magic card then it probably should be playable. What do you guys think? Let me know if this beastly monstrosity for a creature is a playable card.

So let me get this straight. You would Gleemax or R&D's Secret Lair playable or something? The back's of all of the silver boardered cards are just like regular cards.

Anusien
12-27-2006, 05:37 PM
It's silver-bordered, so no.

dahcmai
12-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Too bad too, it's pretty interesting. I'd throw it in something.

Complete_Jank
12-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Im fairly sure that they wouldent print a playable card and release it exclusively to a select number of people. So to answer your question no i believe it is not playable.

That is incorrect thinking. Special cards have been printed and released to a select number of people and they are still legal in certain formats.

I do believe that Anusien is correct though, but I'm trying to think of any other promo cards that break that rule.

AngryTroll
12-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Either way, that card is sweet!

From the abilities, to the power and toughness, to the donating ability, to the "flavor" (ah, another pun)!, to the art, that card is awesome.

Anusien
12-27-2006, 11:09 PM
That is incorrect thinking. Special cards have been printed and released to a select number of people and they are still legal in certain formats.

I do believe that Anusien is correct though, but I'm trying to think of any other promo cards that break that rule.
Sewers of Estark, Mana Crypt, Arena

Complete_Jank
12-27-2006, 11:35 PM

I am speaking of thinking of a promo card that breaks the silver boarder rule.

I know most of the cards that have been made that are rare release promos as well as the ones you mentioned. Should we turn this into a game?:smile:

Nalathni Dragon

Grapes17
12-28-2006, 12:59 AM
All of the cards mentioned were far more available than Fruitcake Elemental is. Fruitcake Elemental were only given out to one person per area (larger than county, smaller than state). All the other could be had either by sending a book slip, or by purchasing a magazine, which anyone could do. The two groups aren't comparable.

Complete_Jank
12-28-2006, 01:12 AM
All of the cards mentioned were far more available than Fruitcake Elemental is. Fruitcake Elemental were only given out to one person per area (larger than county, smaller than state). All the other could be had either by sending a book slip, or by purchasing a magazine, which anyone could do. The two groups aren't comparable.

Yes they are compareable, and there are other cards that are not as easy to acquire as the ones we mentioned.

Rarity has no effect on whether or not a card is legal in play.

jodawe
12-28-2006, 02:19 AM
Isn't it funny that the promo card for the announcement of a transsexual designer is a Fruitcake Elemental? That Mark Rosewater is one crazy guy…

Solpugid
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Was the 1996 World Champion card ever legal to play?

Nightmare
12-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Was the 1996 World Champion card ever legal to play?No.

And to add content, Fruitcake Elemental is Silver-Bordered, which automatically bans it from all sanctioned tournaments.

Cavius The Great
12-28-2006, 12:59 PM

Also, Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation, two promo cards dedicated to the birth of Richard Garfield's two sons are playable to my knowledge. But the fact that only 100 copies of each card were made and that both cards run around 3000-5000 bucks, nobody has gotten the balls (or funds) to get a playset of each card and play them in a tournament.

Nightmare
12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Also, Splendid Genesis and Fraternal Exaltation, two promo cards dedicated to the birth of Richard Garfield's two sons are playable to my knowledge. But the fact that only 100 copies of each card were made and that both cards run around 3000-5000 bucks, nobody has gotten the balls (or funds) to get a playset of each card and play them in a tournament.No, they aren't. The cards do not exist in Gatherer, so are not considered official Magic cards. These unique cards (Genesis, Exaltation, Proposal, 1996 WC) are all unofficial cards and banned in sanctioned play.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
12-28-2006, 02:53 PM
New game: let's limit the "tournament legal promo game" to cards released within the past decade.

The list:

Oh, right.