PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year and a Black Wrath

dahcmai
01-01-2007, 01:40 AM
MTG.com just posted this up, what a nice present for the new year.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/damnation.swf

MasterBlaster
01-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Wow!

This next set is looking to be pretty awesome. I just wish I still had a store closeby for me to play magic at.

Getsickanddie
01-01-2007, 03:20 AM
I'm not sure if I'm happy or angry about this card.

On a side note did anybody else check out the bitch that won the Great Designer Search? I wouldn't let her suck my dick if she paid me.

Aggro_zombies
01-01-2007, 03:55 AM

On a side note did anybody else check out the bitch that won the Great Designer Search? I wouldn't let her suck my dick if she paid me.
That was a woman? I thought it was a botched sex change victim or Ann Coulter without the makeup.

Pinder
01-01-2007, 04:24 AM
Ouch. Sheesh guys, with us being a Magic forum and all, there's a distinct possibility that she might actually read those posts.

But yeah, she doesn't look anything like that Life Burst picture she was hiding behind.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
01-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Ouch. Sheesh guys, with us being a Magic forum and all, there's a distinct possibility that she might actually read those posts.

But yeah, she doesn't look anything like that Life Burst picture she was hiding behind.

You, on the other hand, look very much indeed like the non-sentient one-armed genetic freak that is your icon. That gives you the moral high ground, right?

You have a dick? When did this development occur?

That was a woman? I thought it was a botched sex change victim or Ann Coulter without the makeup.

I will drive to where you live and I will cut you. I hope that all the things that are bad in life happen to you. And to nobody else but you.

Shut up, shut up, shut up, you fucking retards.

On a side note: Black Wrath. Neat. UBG Landstill just got better.

Pinder
01-01-2007, 04:37 AM
You, on the other hand, look very much indeed like the non-sentient one-armed genetic freak that is your icon. That gives you the moral high ground, right?

You bet your ass it does. Do you know how fucking hard it is to type these posts with only one arm and no fingers? For shame. I have so much moral high ground I give all my buddies +0/+1.

Drkdstryer
01-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Shut up, shut up, shut up, you fucking retards.

Thank you. Saves me the time of typing an intelligible response to them, and I'm hammered so that probably isn't happening.

In other news, shit. The Black Wrath. It's like that girl who's all fugly in high school and you turn down, but then you both graduate and five years later it's all "damn, girl, when did you get so hot?" That's how I feel about this card.

Zilla
01-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Okay, this isn't Mish-Mash. Keep discussion in this thread on-topic and save the chit-chat about your dick for your next NAMBLA meeting.

scrumdogg
01-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Black now has unconditional mass removal (that costs less than 8....), how might that effect a format dominated by creatures & Gearhart? Could this combine with already existing black spot removal & disruption to alter the format?

Sweet art btw, on a related sidenote, I can't wait to see what other iconic cards & abilities get shifted - could we finally be seeing the black Disenchant? If it ever comes, this is the set apparently.

And agreed 115% with IBA, try and show a little class & dignity for a change (how mind-blowing is it that IBA has to point this out to you hypocritically-fugly people, hmmm?)

umbowta
01-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Unholy shit that's cool. I'm suddenly okay with WoTC again.

Solpugid
01-01-2007, 01:24 PM
This makes perfect sense in black, but man will this card change things. On a side note, printing a black disenchant would be disasterous, and I highly doubt they would ever do such a thing. Unless it cost 5 or something.

Now we need that black swords to plowshares to make control decks drop white.

calosso
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
What they really need to do is make a goblin that says "when it comes in to play it destroys an enchantment," Or at least a red disenchant.

Cavius The Great
01-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Black hole sun - Won't you come

Pinder
01-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Black hole sun - Won't you come

Someone really needs to make an MTG Music Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPW8z5g9d4) about that now.

Vardaman
01-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Huh, it has white text for the card name and type line. Have they done that since the card face changeover? Are they going to do that for all the "bizarro" cards?

Also, what does this mean for Wrath of God's chances of appearing in 10th?

kicks_422
01-01-2007, 05:57 PM
The white text cards are PC's version of timeshifted cards, which are twists on past cards by changing them to another color while retaining or mirroring their effect.

Well, they have been talking about booting WoG from the Core Set... Is this the time? I wouldn't mind, though... :tongue:

TeenieBopper
01-02-2007, 04:27 AM

Oh man, too bad she isn't getting paid to design magic cards. Oh wai...

I'm not sure if I like this card, or the idea of this card. One of the great challanges of deck building was doing so within the strengths and weaknesses of each color. How many times have you been like, "Oh damn, if only Color X could do ability Y, this deck would be really good. Well, I need ability Y, so I better splash for color Z." When you start giving color X ability Z for the same cost as color Y, things become a little dangerous.

Getsickanddie
01-02-2007, 05:10 AM
Oh man, too bad she isn't getting paid to design magic cards. Oh wai...

I'm not sure if I like this card, or the idea of this card. One of the great challanges of deck building was doing so within the strengths and weaknesses of each color. How many times have you been like, "Oh damn, if only Color X could do ability Y, this deck would be really good. Well, I need ability Y, so I better splash for color Z." When you start giving color X ability Z for the same cost as color Y, things become a little dangerous.

Agreed. It almost seems like Wizards is running out of ideas. First they resurrect Karen Carpenter to design magic cards, and then they make a black wrath of god. I fear this game may be reaching its endgame...

Solpugid
01-02-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't think Wizard's is running out of ideas. Quite the opposite, as there is tons of design space that hasn't been mined yet. What I do fear is that they are falling into the trap of "do something big with each new set". Ever since mirrodin they've been trying to reinvent the entire game with each block and set. New type of card (equipment), new split cards and "new" legend rule in kamigawa, hybrid mana, color-shifted "reprints".

It will not be long before this kind of design becomes impossible or illogical, since the "wow, cool!" response will just die down. I think what would be best for design and for the game is to take a block or two and go back to straightforward expansion sets without making the game feel stretched to its limits. We are all now aware that the rules of Magic are wide open. We get it, move on for a while.

That said, having a black wrath is not that bad. In Legacy (and I'd like to speak just about Legacy right now), how many decks run wrath of god? Very few (some landstill, truffle shuffle,...), often because mainly white decks often have too little removal (at too high a cost) to handle goblins. To die before getting a wrah off is insane. Black, however, has tons of removal, and has shown itself capable of handling fast aggro (and this includes goblins, based on their speed not deck style). Having a black wrath will, if anything, make the color slightly better against aggro.

Personally, having a deck like truffle shuffle or train wreck get better enough with this card that they can win more consistently in tournaments seems good to me. The format as it is right now is rather stagnant, and I'm sick of it. If damnation shakes up the format even just enough to make some decks viable when they otherwise wouldn't be, then I'll be a happy man.

Yes, this card (in my opinion) will mean a change in the format. Maybe not huge, but a change nonetheless. What do I think of this: it's about time things get changed up around here.

emidln
01-02-2007, 10:45 AM
Unfortunately, this is going to screw up my blacked out and foil Trinisphere from tournament play since it will now actually look like a real card.

Drathro
01-02-2007, 10:55 AM
This is totally sweet. I hope in vain to acquire a playset at reasonable prices.

As far as being "too powerful/end of magic," in practice it's only moderately more powerful than Mutilate, a card that rarely sees play, so I don't think the sky is falling yet.

It also explains why there are *no* Black sweepers in Standard right now. I know TheSourcers usually don't care about Standard, but, until this preview, the lack of a Black sweeper was an apparently glaring design oversight as far as the normal balance of power in Standard is concerned.

Lego
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
As far as being "too powerful/end of magic," in practice it's only moderately more powerful than Mutilate, a card that rarely sees play, so I don't think the sky is falling yet.

He wasn't talking about this card in particular, but the general focus of new sets. They're color shifting because they feel like they need to do something big, something game shaking, every set. He was saying that that idea could be harmful to the game.

As for the card, I think it will be played, but without a few other cards it won't be earth shattering. Black still doesn't have a Swords to Plowshares. Now, give black Swords, and you'll no longer ever need to play White control. Then again, Standard would have Swords to Plowshares, and that's not something we want.

Evil Roopey
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
This is totally sweet. I hope in vain to acquire a playset at reasonable prices.

It also explains why there are *no* Black sweepers in Standard right now. I know TheSourcers usually don't care about Standard, but, until this preview, the lack of a Black sweeper was an apparently glaring design oversight as far as the normal balance of power in Standard is concerned.

This card is infinitely better than Mutilate purely based on the fact that you can run it in B/x control decks. I can see UB Control being a deck to beat in every format now. This card is in fact going to change a lot of things.

tivadar
01-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Sadly I'm somewhat OK with this. Though Roopey is right, this is a LOT better than Mutilate. Black probably deserves a board sweeper anyways (for creatures at least). Let's just make sure not to give them artifact/enchantment hate, or counterspells. The day that happens will probably be the day I leave magic and send a nastygram to WOTC.

How does this affect Legacy though? Not many decks run WOG anyways, so you're looking at black decks that run no creatures/run very few creatures. Essentially, this may mean Iggy (bye bye meddlings/multiple goblins/true believer/...), though the high cost and fact you can't play it at the end of your opponents turn may make it somewhat prohibitive. What's after this? MBC? Nobody really plays it and it already has decent sweepers anyways. Possibly reanimator? They don't want to lose their creatures. BG loam? Maybe, but once again, it's expensive. Truffle Shuffle? They have access to white anyways.

Evil Roopey
01-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Sadly I'm somewhat OK with this. Though Roopey is right, this is a LOT better than Mutilate. Black probably deserves a board sweeper anyways (for creatures at least). Let's just make sure not to give them artifact/enchantment hate, or counterspells. The day that happens will probably be the day I leave magic and send a nastygram to WOTC.

How does this affect Legacy though? Not many decks run WOG anyways, so you're looking at black decks that run no creatures/run very few creatures. Essentially, this may mean Iggy (bye bye meddlings/multiple goblins/true believer/...), though the high cost and fact you can't play it at the end of your opponents turn may make it somewhat prohibitive. What's after this? MBC? Nobody really plays it and it already has decent sweepers anyways. Possibly reanimator? They don't want to lose their creatures. BG loam? Maybe, but once again, it's expensive. Truffle Shuffle? They have access to white anyways.

More like UBLandstill (Duckhunt) gets a huge boost. The fact that black, the best color to play to beat other control decks (Duress, other discard), just got the best answer to creatures (Wrath) means that we might actually get a deck that can rival the top tier. I'm gonna start testing soon.

Also, Tog gets an answer to creatures without having to splash.

Firebrothers
01-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Phrexian totem comes to mind when thinking about damnation. This could be run in some smallpox deck. MBC with some duress, hymn, sinkhole mabey i dont know.

TeenieBopper
01-02-2007, 04:15 PM
More like UBLandstill (Duckhunt) gets a huge boost. The fact that black, the best color to play to beat other control decks (Duress, other discard), just got the best answer to creatures (Wrath) means that we might actually get a deck that can rival the top tier. I'm gonna start testing soon.

Also, Tog gets an answer to creatures without having to splash.

TheInfamousBearAssassin
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Ramsaroop is actually right about something for a change. This card doesn't make MBC type decks. MBC already had Mutilate. What it does is destroy MBC, because the biggest reasons to run MBC were Coffers and Mutilate, giving you a good board sweeper in the color that already had a lot of powerful anti-combo/control cards. What Damnation really does is open up whole new avenues of deck design, making archetypes exist that couldn't have really done so before. U/B Landstill, B/R Control, and Black Stax are some of the options I would think about at the moment.

Anarky87
01-02-2007, 07:32 PM
I think Black Stax would be cool as now you would have a board sweeper in black, plus you'll get to run some card draw (Which the lack of is what cripples that deck) possibly in Phyrexian Arena. Truffle Shuffle could then cut Wrath to run Damnation, since the deck would shift more towards a G/B/w, eliminating the need for WW in a deck that already needs GG and BB. I don't see this card as something that will destroy the game, but, like IBA said, open up paths for new decks to compete in the field that previously were unable to before. I'm excited about this card and can't wait to get a set and start testing them, as well as see what the rest of the set holds.

Anusien
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, you now have basically all the tools you need in UB to competee, maybe with a slight splash. Previously you had to touch Green for Deed, White for Wrath, or Red for Pyroclasm. Now you have Edicts and Demise, Damnation, and all the other tools.

Side question: Does Duckhunt become better if you just kill with Belcher instead of lands?

Complete_Jank
01-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Let's just make sure not to give them artifact/enchantment hate, or counterspells. The day that happens will probably be the day I leave magic and send a nastygram to WOTC.

Wait, didn't you get the memo? Black already has a counterspell, and has for years.

I think it was just before Ice Age was released that I mentioned that I thought there should be a Black Wrath of God. Hmm, maybe my Red/White Pernacious Deed will be printed within the next 9 years.

EDIT: When are they going to release the Foil Textless Damnation?

dahcmai
01-05-2007, 07:24 AM
When are they going to release the Foil Textless Damnation?

Don't even mention things like that. You'd have to sell your soul for stuff like that.