PDA

View Full Version : Crovax, Ascendant Hero and the legend rule

Geeba
01-01-2007, 10:57 AM
In the angel stax thread, the following question came up, concerning the new Crovax. If there is a Crovax in play, and I play another, do nonwhite creatures get -2/-2 before both Crovaxes are put into the graveyard?

For reference, here is the card text;
Crovax, Ascendant Hero 4ww
Legendary creature-Human Lord R
Other white creatures get +1/+1
Nonwhite creatures get -1/-1
Pay 2 life: Return Crovax, Ascendant Hero to it's owners hand.
4/4

calosso
01-01-2007, 11:12 AM
yes.

Pinder
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
From what I can tell, yes, but it would be better if someone could quote some rules on this.

Drkdstryer
01-01-2007, 07:49 PM
I can't quote the rules, but I know for a certainty that this works with Night of Soul's Betrayal.

cdr
01-01-2007, 08:35 PM
Crovax's -1/-1 is a continuous effect. It applies simultaneously with the permanent coming into play, before state-based effects are checked.

418.2 Continuous effects that modify characteristics of permanents do so simultaneously with the permanent coming into play.

Zero toughness and the legend rule are state-based effects. Both effects are checked and resolve at the same time.

420.3 Whenever a player would get priority, the game checks for any of the listed conditions for state-based effects. All applicable effects resolve as a single event, then the check is repeated.

420.5 The state-based effects are as follows:

* 420.5b A creature with toughness 0 or less is put into its owner's graveyard. Regeneration can't replace this event.

* 420.5e If two or more legendary permanents with the same name are in play, all are put into their owners' graveyards. This is called the "legend rule." If only one of those permanents is legendary, this rule doesn't apply.

Machinus
01-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Awesome, thanks!