PDA

View Full Version : 1st Place at Local San Diego Tournament with 'real deck'! East Coast Vs. West Coast!

Sexy_Rector
01-02-2007, 12:37 PM
There were about 30 people at this tournament, with a wide range of decks. I saw belcher, solidarity, 4c landstill, survival, boros, goblins, fish, u/g/r thresh all kinds of different decks.

Here is the list I played,

4x Flooded Strand
4x Polluted Delta
4x Tundra
4x Tropical Island
1x Island
4x Brainstorm
4x Serum Visions
4x Accumulated Knowledge
3x Mental Note
4x Swords to Plowshares
3x Stifle
4x Werebear
4x Nimble Mongoose
1x Mystic Enforcer
3x Meddling Mage
4x FoW
3x Daze
2x CounterSpell

SideBoard :

2x Tividars Crusade
4x BeB
3x Pithing Needle
3x Loaming Shaman [ the Shovel ]
2x Naturalize
1x Mystic Enforcer

Round 1 : Complete Jank w/ B/w Braids Control.

The first game, thresh does what it likes to do. I cantripped a few times, dazed a sinkhole, then played out some beats. He vindicated away a werebear, and chumped block a few times with mishra. Braids made a short appearance, only to step in the way of a goose. Despite all the comments about "ripping just what he (my opponent) needed" the game ended with him at three life staring down a mongoose and a bear. Who needs force of will in this format?

I boarded in needles for StP, a possible mistake in restrospect.

On the draw, my opening 7 had some cantrips, beats and 3 lands. So I decided to keep. Maybe I should of mulligan a little more aggressively for fow or daze. My opponent looks like he is agonizing on whether or not to keep his hand and decides it is worth the risk. He opens with duress and takes a brainstorm. I play a land and pass. He taps the top of his deck and there is the land needed to play chalice for 1. I cantrip in response, probably a mental note. I play out some bears, and try to kill him. But the chalice just wrecked me and I could do nothing. I am eventually staring down a braids lock w/ no permanents on the board.

Game 3 is much more climatic. Cantrips, into threats into a few counterspells while he is destroying lands and vindicating bears. I naturalize a mishra's factory at some point and fow a crucible. He drops a braids to stabilize, but I sack a land while ripping land. I swing, he chumps blocks the bear and goes down to 7. He rips an other braids and uses it to chump block again. I am running out of permanents. I get him down to three, have nothing out but goose/bear. He drops braids number three and I opt to sack the bear. I swing with the goose, he has to chump block. With only one turn left before the fifth turn of extra turns, he draws his card and scoops it up, showing me a hand of vindicate among other things that bear could not handle.

Round 2 : Mono Red goblins.

Great, a bad matchup well, at least in theory ....

Game 1 my opponent keeps a [4x siege gang hand? I am not really sure] but he was banking on lackey connecting. After I swords his lackey, he was stuck on 2 mountains and did nothing as I played mage on warchief, then one on ringleader and eventually he quit.

I boarded in 4x beb, 2x tivadar's crusade, 3x pithing needle. Mages, stifles, a visions, and some other random cards went out.

Game 2 I am lucky enough to see beb, stp and daze in my opening hand so I keep it. He plays a turn one Mr. Fantastic and passes. I play out a fetchland and pass back. He swings for a while w/ fatastic, taking me down to about 13 or so while I am countering/killing each and every one of his threats. Eventually I get out a few threshed creatures and am able to win from there.

Round 3: Sneak attack/recurring nightmare. What can I say, it is San Diego?

Both games pretty much went like : Fow your sneak attack or mage it. While I beat down and he kept hard casting land grants? I had to swords a yosei at some point. He living wished for a wretch both games and I had to swords that guy as well.

Round 4: Competent Goblins player.

I win the die roll and opt to play first. He goes turn one vial, I have to fow. I draw daze. He then plays lackey first, I let it resolve because I am holding StP then he attempts to play vial, which I stp lackey then daze it. He then drops a warchief, into other obnoxious goblins and I lose pretty badly.

I board pretty much the same as round 2.

The opening seven shows me some love, with double beb, a cantrip and a few men. I keep. I open with fetch and pass, luckily he only has Mr. Fantastic. I drop a goose and mental note into threshold and start beating. I drop bears at that point and Beb him. I try to AK for two, but he has the blast. So I just AK for three. I have bear goose out, and he has double fantastic, matron, sharpshooter and piledriver out. I tip a crusade off the top, wrath his side of the board and he can never recover.

Again, the legacy gods smile upon me as my opening seven has beb, cantrips and a stp in it (possibily a needle as well). We do lots of 1 for 1 trading, my spells his men. I get thresh early and am swinging in with a bear and a goose. He starts playing out goblins, which I have no answer for. I draw cards into crusade, and wrath his board. It comes down to him playing a matron, I fow, he blasts. He fetches Kiki Jiki in order to clog up the ground with a SGC. He casts kiki jiki, I swing, he makes a matron token and chumps block with both. Things are looking bad when he drops a ringleader in three goblins including SGC. The board is, KJ and 6 lands ( including 3 wastelands) at 6 life, and 2x werebear goose on my side w/ me at a pretty high life. The turn before he plays out the SGC, I rip a Mystic Enforcer, the singleton and windmill it down. Even the busted goblin cannot save him from the flying monster.

Final Round: Vs. Eric with Ravager Affinity

From the limited amount of testing I have done, I felt that this was not that bad of a matchup unless they just get the hand most decks loss to when playing against affinity.

Round 1: He does get that nasty hand and there is little or nothing I can do because the third turn I am staring down enforcer, ravager a frogmite and other things that wreck me.

I make some jokes about boarding in Serenity but my opponent does not seem all that worried. Great, I board in naturalize and pithing needle for stifle a cantrip and something else. The mages stayed in this game and were amazing.

Round 2: He mulligans and keeps a solid hand. I mage ravager, then I mage enforcer. He do lots of trading. Werebears/Gooses for all those crappy guys hoped up on the plating or an atog. But the mages never left the board. He has disciple out, equipped with plating, while I have out 2x mage and have a naturalize in hand. I swing with both mages. Bringing him down to 11, he swings with disciple, I naturalize his plating, take 1 and go down to 1. He plays out an other turn and pass. My draws for the next 5 turns was, Fow, Fow, fetchland, fetchland, then a cantrip. His draws were, enforcer, ravager, ravager, enforcer. Eventually I start cantripping into threats and manage to kill him. He kept saying a Tormod's crypt would have been lethal, I was thinking "nah, it would suck but I think I could still win". Then he tapped his disciples....

Round 3: He double mulligans. I needle crypt, he plays crypt. I just beat him to death with thresholded monsters.

Pros :

The San Diego people for being pretty cool and having a great tournament.
Theshold for being a real deck instead of the jank I played at the last D4D.

Slops :

Tijuana for being well Tijuana.

calosso
01-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Congrats Eric, for proving the east coast is better than the west coast.

Finn
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
You don't wanna start that crap, Calosso.

Eric, did you play out there on Winter Break or something?

Nightmare
01-02-2007, 02:59 PM
Congrats Eric, for proving the east coast is better than the west coast.

This is how Biggie and TuPac died. You're an idiot.

UrDraco
01-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Ummm, I rarely post here but that idiot that says west cost is worse than east coast should not have said that. 1 deck, 1 tourny, riiiiiight. The east coast guy that was there seemed pretty chill but his first three rounds were all against HORRIBLE players. Another wierd thing is that he played against the only 2 goblins decks that were there, 1 piloted by an 11 year old with 4 seige gang, and the other by Lucas Michaels. And when you play against Goblins with like 52000 sideboard cards for it it seems like a good matchup. I was watching the affinity game and game 2 they were both in topdeck mode for about 7 turns and on any one of them Affinity should have won the match if it drew crypt (killed because of diciple), atog, fling, or countless other cards that weren't ravager or myr enforcer (because of mage). Yes thresh is good but exact copy's of his decklist have gone 1-4 or 2-3 at the very same tournament.

If we really want to try to proove if east coast is better than west coast we should wait for the GP, and see what % of people make it to day 2 from east and west coast repectivally. Only then do I think we will get some diffinitive results. *cough* Thinking of one west coast player I reallly hope can't make it to the GP *cough*

@ Erik the guy who posted this: You seemed cooler than this title suggests. If you are trying to be an ass by saying thresh is a "real deck" and affinity/goblins/landstill aren't then you have succeded. As for the 10 year olds you played, I don't know many that have real decks or can really play. I hope you are there again for a few weeks, you were a cool guy aside from the title of this post, and then maybe you can get the real feel of the ever changing SD meta.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-02-2007, 04:30 PM
If you are trying to be an ass by saying thresh is a "real deck" and affinity/goblins/landstill aren't then you have succeded...

Sexy_Rector
01-02-2007, 05:05 PM
@ UrDraco : I am in no way, shape, or form suggesting that East Coast magic/legacy is better then west coast. I was just trying to have a little casual play on the whole rap thing. I did not mean to come off like that.

Onto the real deck thing. I never meant to imply that Thresh is a real deck while ravager, landstill [which probably would of wrecked me] are not. I am pretty notorious for playing 'piles' and doing well with them. I never touch the 'Deck's to Beat' so when I do, I call them 'real' (lots of sarcasm here).

It was on vacation.

Peter_Rotten
01-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Yes thresh is good but exact copy's of his decklist have gone 1-4 or 2-3 at the very same tournament.

Well, like Nick Senate used to say, "It's not the plane; it's the pilot."

Machinus
01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Awesome job, and thanks for the report!

UrDraco
01-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I read the thread and did see what he meant by the pile statement. My problem was with the title and how it made a direct implication that every other deck here was complete jank. Thank you for saying that the title was meant more as a joke and not a bash on all our decks.
While some of our pilots kinda suck I just wish Erik could play here a few more times to see how hard it is to do well in our hyper strange meta.

Complete_Jank
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Round 1 : Complete Jank w/ B/w Braids Control.

Pros :

The San Diego people for being pretty cool and having a great tournament.

Slops :

Tijuana for being well Tijuana.

It was great to play against you, just wish I could have played you later in the tourney, so I wouldn't have had to play through the loser's bracket to take 8th.

Our match was the most interesting match I've had in a long time. The match literally came down to one card/turn. It could have gone either way, especially if I would have drawn a Small Pox, Mishra's Factory, or one more Braids at any time in the last 3 turns BTW, Sideboarding out Swords I think is the right decision, as Pithing Needle is more of something to have to deal with. I play around StP or force you to use them on Braids, hopefully getting Her to your turn with Ports.

I'd apologize for Tijuana, but we don't have much control on that place.

The east coast guy that was there seemed pretty chill but his first three rounds were all against HORRIBLE players.

Excuse me, but I am not a horrible player, more so I would say I am one of the better players around. Don't judge me on my Draft, Sealed, and Type 2 performances, because I could care less about those formats and treat them as such. I play those for fun and hanging out with friends, even if it means driving 6 hours for a weekend trip.

While some of our pilots kinda suck I just wish Erik could play here a few more times to see how hard it is to do well in our hyper strange meta.

Yes, there were quite a few people actually out of town for the holidays, including many of the good players, but I'm not going to take anything away from his victory, as he played against me, and not many people beat me and my deck. There were only two better players in the room, and they both were playing inferior decks that night.

Cavius The Great
01-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Hey, do you guys on the west coast know about the slang term "cavi"? I had the nickname "Cavi" since I was born and I was born before the slang term even came out I think. Pretty weird if you ask me.

Complete_Jank
01-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm from the east coast and I don't know that term.

Cavius The Great
01-13-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm from the east coast and I don't know that term.

It's a west coast term. Aside from being my nickname, the only other reason I've heard of it is cuz of rap songs that I listen to. I'm actually from the east coast also.

JACO
01-15-2007, 12:36 AM
It's a west coast term. Aside from being my nickname, the only other reason I've heard of it is cuz of rap songs that I listen to. I'm actually from the east coast also.
Cavi is a reference to crack cocaine, which was later interepreted to mean anything dope.

In reference to the tournament report, congrats on your finish. I only wish that I and a few of the other more competitive players were in attendance to make the field a little tougher.

Cavius The Great
01-15-2007, 05:58 AM
Cavi is a reference to crack cocaine, which was later interepreted to mean anything dope.

In reference to the tournament report, congrats on your finish. I only wish that I and a few of the other more competitive players were in attendance to make the field a little tougher.

I knew it meant something that was dope. I'm 24 and had that nickname since I was born. Add to that I'm from the east coast. It's like you guys in Cali know about me or something. :tongue:

Bardo
01-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Well done and nice deck. :)

Again, the legacy gods smile upon me as my opening seven has beb, cantrips and a stp in it (possibily a needle as well). We do lots of 1 for 1 trading, my spells his men. I get thresh early and am swinging in with a bear and a goose. He starts playing out goblins, which I have no answer for. I draw cards into crusade, and wrath his board. It comes down to him playing a matron, I fow, he blasts. He fetches Kiki Jiki in order to clog up the ground with a SGC. He casts kiki jiki, I swing, he makes a matron token and chumps block with both. Things are looking bad when he drops a ringleader in three goblins including SGC. The board is, KJ and 6 lands ( including 3 wastelands) at 6 life, and 2x werebear goose on my side w/ me at a pretty high life. The turn before he plays out the SGC, I rip a Mystic Enforcer, the singleton and windmill it down. Even the busted goblin cannot save him from the flying monster.

Your Goblins matches are just as my testing (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/13464.html) went. Occasionally, Meddling Mage is great and Enforcer can surprisingly salvage games that Threshold deserves to lose. Daze is golden, as is Pithing Needle.

How did the AKs work out? If you played this deck again, would you drop them or leave them in?

Anyway, congrats and well done.

Sexy_Rector
01-19-2007, 10:15 PM
How did the AKs work out? If you played this deck again, would you drop them or leave them in?

I honestly cannot say as they usually were only cast as a cantrip, the one time I recalled with it was pretty sweet. Two mana is so much for this deck though. They have a lot of synergy with the deck but make you even more graveyard dependent and do not build threshold as quickly as predict. I read your/machinus report on StarCity and really enjoyed it! Keep up the testing so I don't have to. The one thing that bothered me about this deck, in all of my matches against competent opponents/decks, every win was a nail bitter [ I never played against combo]. With the exception of the Sneak attack player, I never really felt in control of the game. I felt more like a surfer trying to survive long enough not to be crushed by the huge wave that was about to slam into the shore.

Citrus-God
02-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm kinda sorry I necroed this thread. =/

@Sexy Rector: Why'd you side out Stifles against Goblins? Now that we discussed how to side against Goblins, would you consider Stifles this time against them, or are there other things to worry about?