PDA

View Full Version : [Essay] "Too Old for Magic" - An adult's rant.

Nightmare
01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
After I came back from the release tournament today, [my parents and I] went out to dinner and we had a long talk which basically consisted of "You're too old to play magic. Trading card games are associated with little kids. Only if you're 14 or 15 years old, then its socially acceptable to play a game like magic. Magic is not mainstream, you won't make any good friends that way." And that got me thinking. I'm 19 years old, almost becoming 20 years old. I'm going to college right now, and nobody plays magic: the gathering. The people who I run into who knows how to play, only played when they were in junior high, but then they quit after becoming a teenager. My dad also elaborated by saying that by telling other people that you play magic, you're "embarassing" yourself. If you become a CEO for a company and you tell other people that you play magic, the response won't be good, you'll get a lot of strange looks. That's in contrast to saying that you like to read, play golf, play football, play chess, etc etc. Magic doesn't have a whole lot of respectability in society's eyes, especially if you're not a little kid.

Recently, this was posted in the mtgSalvation.com forums, starting a thread addressing the issue of being “Too old” to play Magic. This member's parents basically sat him down and explained that in society, Magic is not a mainstream outlet for your time, and that many people in the business community will look down on you for participating in it. His father went so far as to say he is “embarrassing himself,” and should take up a hobby such as reading, golf, chess, etc. in order to be more respectable in mainstream culture. As you could guess, the replies in that thread were supportive. Most said his parents did not understand the game, many showed their support by listing their own ages and stories. Some cited the age of prominent players and members of the WotC staff. Through reading it all, and adding my own comments, I felt more needed to be said on the issue.

I'm 24 years old, a college graduate, an Electrical Engineer, and a dedicated Magic player. I do not live with my parents. I live with my girlfriend of 3+ years and help support her while she is in college, since her mother lives across the country. I have many friends and an active social life outside work and Magic both. I have played this game since 1996, and while I took a hiatus in college, I am back in the game with no ambition to quit. Not only do I play the game, I moderate a Magic website, contribute greatly to 2 or 3 more, and my own team's board. Recently, I have been traveling once or twice a month to large Vintage and Legacy events in the Northeast, and have built up what I hope is a solid reputation as a good player in doing so.

My parents were supportive when I was younger, a few times buying me a booster box for my birthday when a new set was released, and always gave me rides to local tournaments. When I graduated from school, and began to get more involved on a higher level, they remained excited for me, and seem to be proud of my accomplishments, since they've seen me grow with the game through the years. Each time I see them now, they’re sure to ask me when my next “big tournament” is, and where. I started dating my girlfriend during the period when I wasn’t playing cards. As such, she was quite surprised to find that she was dating a geek. Since it sprung up suddenly, and limits to some extent the time I spend with her (not to mention the cards all over the house), she isn’t the biggest fan of the game. She hates when I leave for events, but is coming around now, since she understands that I won't be quitting, and it isn't a phase.

In my day to day life, out in the real world, most people I work with are aware that I play a card game competitively, and that often I’m gone on the weekends because of it. The older crowd has no idea what the game is, if they’ve even heard of it, and show me no disrespect because of it. For those who do know of the game, once they realize that I’m not one of those strange “Lord of the Rings/Star Trek/Dungeons and Dragons” people (no offense, of course, to those who are), they accept it and never really bring it up again. Your life outside the walls of the office is just that - your life – and it bears little relevance to your job, as long as you get your work done well and on time.

On occasion, I have gotten friends or coworkers who are interested in how someone of my age, or my intelligence, or my (insert something they consider “normal” here) can be interested in some silly game to such a high degree. The most common comment is usually “I’ve heard of that game. It’s like Dungeons and Dragons with cards, right?” I’m sure many of you have heard very similar things. I generally try to explain to them that while there are people who play the game for this reason, I am not one of them. At the level that I, and many of you I’m sure, play this game, it is much more like chess or poker than D&D. At its root, Magic is a math game, a game of maximizing your limited resources and inhibiting your opponent from doing the same in order to win. In reality, the fantasy setting does little more than give a scope and flavor to this mathematical puzzle, and could just as easily be based in business as in magic. Liken it to chess pieces being knights and castles and kings and queens, which, while creating a more interesting game concept, have little actual relevance to the gameplay itself. I find that more often than not, this description ends the conversation there, and the person questioning your hobby leaving satisfied and thinking more of you, rather than less. If you happen to do well enough that you make some money at events, that’s usually icing on the cake.

Certainly, there are hobbies more acceptable in the world outside the game store. Many of these can help you to become more social with your coworkers and superiors, such as golfing, watching sports, and so on. Few of these, however, expand and hone your mental capacity as much as playing Magic does. As an Engineer, math is extremely important in my field. I can guarantee I would not be as proficient with it were it not for playing Magic. The same goes for vocabulary. Playing this game expands your range of word knowledge to vast proportions. How else could you expect to know what hyalopterous means? Spell check doesn’t even recognize that word!

The purpose of a hobby is to provide you with an activity that you enjoy during time you have for yourself. Out of millions and millions of options, we have chosen Magic: the Gathering. There are certainly options more mainstream. There are certainly people out there who will not understand why you play. There are people out there who think it is a game for children, and people who will try to make you embarrassed because you play it. These people are either ignorant, and you should educate them, or jerks, and you should ignore them. Either way, there is no reason for you to be embarrassed by something as insignificant in the long run as a game you choose to play, and to be embarrassed by it is doing a disservice to yourself.

I am 100% comfortable with being a "Magic Geek," and if you get enjoyment out of the game, out of a hobby that is fulfilling, and not destructive like drugs or drinking can be, then you should play it, regardless of the image you think it gives you, or the age you happen to be. It comes down to you, what you enjoy, and how you see yourself, not who your friends-of-the-moment, your coworkers, or your parents think you should be. I know most of the time, we keep a pretty casual atmosphere here, and that this is a heavy topic. I know someone out there must have felt the same way the original poster did, and I can only hope this helps. Thanks for reading, and letting me vent a bit.

Finn
01-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Good deal, Mr. N.

I am older than you are and began a little earlier (so I am a bit further down the path of a committed player in adulthood), and I have a different job - I develop and teach logic and computer programming curriculum for a living. But beyond those cosmetic differences, this entire thing could easily have been about by me.

The girlfriend who met me during an out time is now my wife, and we have two children. Incidently, this is why I no longer travel to events. It is a trade-off that certainly impacts my ability to contribute (and undoubtedly my clout), but one I am happy to make.

And I would estimate that the majority of long-time serious contributors are at some point along a very similar journey.

I'm glad you have a healthy perspective, and I hope the lad's parents were set strait.

mikekelley
01-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I am 19, in college, almost 20, same age as that other poster. I am a pretty big magic/star wars geek. I also snowboard competively all over the country - I've done events like the US Open, Nationals, Grand Prixs, and so on and so forth. Sure, I get some shit from my snowboaridng friends for it all the time; like when I go out on a Friday night to play with dragons and cast spells, they love to give me shit about it. But when it comes down to it, nobody really cares. I have friends on both sides of the spectrum. The hardass snowboarder/partygoer, the magic nerd, people in between that I know from high school, jock friends, everything. I know it's been said before, but people who think less of you for playing it are pretty shallow. It seems this kid's parents need to do some growing up themselves. Unless these cardboard things are the kid's life, they should lay off him. Sure I've got a collection worth thousands of dollars, but I have other things to turn to as well. It's not my sole focus in life - I don't think that it should be anyone's sole focus in life - but just because their pleasures are different doesn't mean his parents have to give him a sex-talk of sorts about the game.

I'd like to know more about the kid's background. His social life, etc. If your social life is suffering from it, then yes, I do believe a sit-down is necessary. But if he is living a healthy life with social interaction and so on, and he does other things than just magic, what's the harm in that?

Complete_Jank
01-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Yea, but then again, you are just strange. :tongue: Just kidding. :laugh:

I agree. I have had similar problems. I am 28 so am one of the older players I know, but certainly not the oldest. I also have another Hobby which is very mainstream, cars, and drive a very fast and expensive one. Having more than one hobby is best, and I have quite a few others.

You want a hobby that many people can relate too. Not many people have a problem relating to cars, and thus it is a conversational piece. As you get older and work, or own your own business. Golfing, Cars, & Sports become very improtant as you can use contacts you make through these hobbies or interests to spring board your career or personal business. It is called networking, and it is part of the game called the real world.

Here's my advice. It is your life do what you want, but realize the effects of your actions.

If I was the kid, I'd tell his father, "You are right dad. Magic isn't mainstream. I am going to quit playing and start hanging out with those other kids with more mainstream hobbies like smoking pot and doing other drugs." Truth is, more people actually do drugs than most people think, and it is an interest and it is very mainstream.

Geeba
01-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Good job!

I think if you relate the things you do primarily to the social status you think to acquire with it, you have a very twisted definition of the concept "hobby". It's important to realize that, whatever hobby (or whatever MtG means to you) you may have, this is only one facet of you. Not to say that building PR networks isn't important, but showing character and not being afraid to do things you like to do is just as important, if not more.

Where I live, I think 20 years is the average age of the magic playing community.

Jaynel
01-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Magic, however, does need to be carefully balanced with other aspects of ones life. I can understand if the guy's parents are frustrated that he's performing poorly in school because instead of doing work, he's spending every spare minute on MWS or reading forums.

I'd have to agree with Mikekelley, more information would be needed in order to get the whole picture. Someone wrote an article about Magic and depression a little while ago on Star City Games, and the parents in this situation might be concerned about the impact of Magic on his lifestyle.

Others, like Mr. Nightmare, are able to balance Magic with other parts of thier lives. In that case, it is a very healthy and valuable hobby.

Bardo
01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
I am 100% comfortable with being a "Magic Geek," and if you get enjoyment out of the game, out of a hobby that is fulfilling, and not destructive like drugs or drinking can be, then you should play it, regardless of the image you think it gives you, or the age you happen to be.

Well, it's often fun to mix your drinking and drugging with MtG too, but I understand your point. Though from personal experience, I would highly recommend not taking Psychatog to a tournament if you feel like playing in the "Bean Bracket (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/3706.html)." Attempting complex Tog math in my head almost caused a seizure.

You know, at 32, I'm pretty old to be enjoying and spending a hell of a lot of my time (and money) on a collectible fantasy-themed card game--marketed to teenage virgins, no less. But what the hell, it's fun and I enjoy it. It certainly helps that I only go to Legacy tournaments, where the average age is higher than pre-releases and block events. Bizarrely, most of the people that I play with In Real Life are even older than me.

When I was younger, I used to feel a little weird and dorky, especially if I was playing in a public place. But as I've gotten older, I couldn't give two fucks about it. As you get older, it's common to become more self-assured about yourself and comfortable with the person you really are. It also helps to get laid regularly, own a house and have a good job with benefits. If I lived with my mom, was single and worked in Taco Bell--I'd certainly have to reassess my life; but I think that, even then, MtG would be the least of my worries.

In short, the dude shouldn't live in submission to the opinions of his parents. If they really cared for him, they'd let him be himself--dorky hobbies and all.

hi-val
01-03-2007, 05:34 PM
Like what's the problem? You say that you play this game and people are all the sudden going to treat you like a leper? F that S. I've long held the policy that if someone thinks my hobbies are dumb, they aren't worth talking to. If you're adjusted well and have a fine life going, then Magic isn't a problem, and if you're 30 years old and living with the parents, then Magic probably isn't the cause of that.

If this guy's parents are freaking, then it's a reflection of their bad parenting and not the game's fault. You think warcrack addicts are drawn in just because the game is fun? There's a lot more going on and it's really easy to blame something like that when the alternative is facing the truth.

scrumdogg
01-03-2007, 07:08 PM
My son is 19 & got me into the game (lo those many years ago, 12 I think). I'm 38 and couldn't be happier that he plays, even if I am the more serious of the two of us. It's a shame the kid in the article's parents didn't try the game. It is a good way to spend time (my daughter also knows how to play) and having another point of commonality with your kids is never a bad thing.

Firebrothers
01-03-2007, 07:09 PM
At least he is playing a social game like magic that gets him out of the house and interacting wit hpeople in real life. I know some 18, 19, 20 year old guys that sit in front of their computers for 12 hours a day playing WoW. I think his parents should consider him lucky he isnt fiddiling with pixels all day.

mikekelley
01-03-2007, 07:11 PM
At least he is playing a social game like magic that gets him out of the house and interacting wit hpeople in real life. I know some 18, 19, 20 year old guys that sit in front of their computers for 12 hours a day playing WoW. I think his parents should consider him lucky he isnt fiddiling with pixels all day.

Granted half the time the people he's going to be interacting with in real life are the same pixel smooching dorks he'd talk to in WoW anyway... :laugh:

Volt
01-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm 38 years old, and my life has always centered around playing games. For a long time, Scrabble was the main hobby that I devoted my time to, but I have also gone through multiple M:tG phases in my adult life. A few years back, I even learned how to count cards and went through a blackjack phase for about a year and a half. I've won numerous Scrabble tournaments and won thousands of dollars playing blackjack (yes, that means profit above and beyond losses), but Magic is probably the game I most enjoy playing. It's not something I go around advertising, but my friends and relatives all know about it. Occasionally, someone will look at me askance when they find out what a geek I am, but I've long since stopped caring. I'm comfortable with who I am. I have a steady, good-paying job, my own place (haven't lived with my folks since high school), and a girl-friend of 3+ years. Marriage isn't for everyone, btw. I realize I'm way above the median age for Magic players, and I sometimes wonder if I look odd hanging around with 20-year olds playing a fantasy-oriented ccg. But, hey, this ain't tiddly-winks, and everyone's the same age when they're playing a game together. That's my take, anyway.

Brushwagg
01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm 28 happily married (most of the time) have 2 kids, and own a house and I Play Magic. I've been playing since Revised (stopped playing right before Urza block) I really don't think it's that big a deal about how old you are. Everyone needs something to do outside of school, work etc..

Phya
01-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Nice thread.

I'm 20 and I actually started playing seriously around two years ago. I played grades 4-7, with most of my classmates, with whatever cards we could find. We usually played for ante, which I really loved because it made your collection very dynamic (I realize that this is now totally unrealistic). I got back into magic after I went away to university was stunned at the number of people that were playing - not including people I met through the game itself I have around 20 friends that play at least casually.

Unfortunately since I never played competitively before, building up my collection put me back around 3-4 grand over the last year and a bit, and my parents were less than pleased by this. Although since my collection is essentially complete I've dropped my spending to around $50/month, which is a lot easier for them to accept than me blowing an entire summer's paycheck... and the $700+ I've won since then doesn't hurt. :tongue:

My parents still poke fun at my magic playing ("if only you could use your powers for good!" my dad says) but now that it isn't causing me financial ruin they don't have a problem with it. Truthfully ebay probably caused more harm than the game itself.

AngryTroll
01-03-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm another 19 year old, soon to be 20. I am working towards a degree in Nuclear Engineering down at OSU, so I have plenty of nerdy friends as it is. However, all through high school and now down at school, I play Water Polo, Swim, bike, hike, backpack, and scuba dive.

I also went through a phase where my parents were concerned about Magic, but now they are very supportive of it. They'll drop me off downtown Portland for Prereleases, because parking is just terrible, and they don't mind that I spend the Friday nights that I am in town off playing cards.

I agree with a lot of what Nightmare said. Between the bonus your vocabulary gets, the math work, the logic problems, and just playing a thinking game in general, I credit Magic with keeping me sharp. I am at school on a full ride scholarship, and I think that the thinking skills I at least worked on playing Magic certainly helped the grades in high school and now down at OSU.

However, I have friends that do nothing but play WOW. That is what they do with all of their spare time, and that is unhealthy. As long as you can keep everything in balance, Magic is not a problem. The understanding I had all through high school, and even still today in my second year at OSU, is that if any hobby, be it Magic, Diving, or Sports, starts affecting my health or my grades, the hobby will be dropped until I can get things back under control. Everything in moderation, as my dad puts it.

There is a great article somewhere in the SCG archives that is about a Parent's Perspective on the game. I will go search for it, and if I can find it I will post a link here.

cupajoe
01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
There IS a social stigma to fantasy-based games, and I think a lot of it goes back to the early 1980s, when there were a lot of stories in the media about a few Dungeons and Dragons players getting completely obsessed in the game, and kind of losing their identity.....

The side effect of that was that some people viewed D&D as kind of a mind warping game for socially inept kids, and that it was a corrupting influence.....

They were all wrong, of course, but the stigma has remained, and Magic The Gathering is viewed in the public as being "D&D with cards"

Also, just like any hobby, there is some truth to the fact that some people do get carried away with the hobby and make it the only thing they do outside of work, school, etc....

I sometimes see these 300 pound, dirty t-shirt dudes at the local gaming shop, and they seem so into the games that I wonder if they have a life outside of gaming

As others have pointed out, it's most healthy to have a variety of interests and hobbies....As a married 36-year-old, mine are taking care of baby, tennis, running, biking, hiking, sports and music

Machinus
01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
The best Vintage and Legacy players are 20+ years old. I'm 22 in case anyone is wondering.

Getsickanddie
01-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I started dating my girlfriend during the period when I wasn’t playing cards. As such, she was quite surprised to find that she was dating a geek. Since it sprung up suddenly, and limits to some extent the time I spend with her (not to mention the cards all over the house), she isn’t the biggest fan of the game. She hates when I leave for events, but is coming around now, since she understands that I won't be quitting, and it isn't a phase.

That's funny, because I also started playing magic again after I had already been dating my gf for about 2 years. She was going to school during the days, and working nights so I had a lot of free time during the week. Now she absolutely hates it when I leave for tournaments, but a large part of that is she doesn't like being home alone (even though we have a well trained dog, and guns...). She has bought me boxes of cards for birthdays and such, so she can be supportive when she wants to be.

My parents on the other hand actually started me playing magic around 5th grade. I lived in the middle of nowhere, and they figured it would be a good social activity to play cards down at the old card shop since there weren't a lot of kids near where I grew up. Just recently for my 24th birthday my parents bought me a box of Timespiral.

The Rack
01-04-2007, 12:13 AM
Mr. Nightmare, what a great way to sum up a lot of feelings on the game. I on the other hand, am the youngest person to reply so far... I'm 15 and consider myself as a competitive player. When I was first introduced to the game about a year ago I really liked the whole atmosphere of just hanging out with friends and chillin. A little bit after that I got this huge collection (to me anyways) for probably 40 bucks that was well worth over 300+. I really liked just making decks ALL THE TIME and just seeing all the diversity of eacyh card. For a bit there I was obseessed with the game, but then summer break was over and boy did I have a smack of reality. My parents at first did say "Magic is kinda a nerdy game you know..." and giving me the hint of quiting and such. So I took the hint and played about 1 a week and still am. I don't have much of a history with the game but it has affected me. Because of it I have found two of my best friends ever and a good excuse to go hang out. To complete the picture I will say that I am an athletic person standing at 6' 5 feet tall and a Varsity Basketball player. Most people don't belive me when I tell them I play a card game on Friday Nights instead of getting blasted (go figure...). All in all Magic isn't a life consuming game to me, it's just fun, competitive fun. I really think those parents should look at the whole picture instead of the one "downside" of their son. If it was a health precaution or something, then the parents should have been well... better parents about it. Life is too short not to have fun :)
- My 2 cents and a Hay penny

aisman132000
01-04-2007, 02:55 AM
i'm 19 and have been playing at what i consider to be a competative level for about two years but have been playing in general since i was seven. However i took a long break from 8th grade till my senior year in highschool. Currently i am in the process of selling much of my collection as when i'm away at college i don't really have a place to play so the money that i spent on cards is pretty much lost. I played baseball all through out highschool and am beginning to get into competative weight lifting (i have a 315 bench press). In my opinion you can never be to old to play magic and anyone who thinks that simply doesn't understand the game and its complexities. If someone wants to pass judgment on me for one hobby that i enjoy they can go fuck themselves. I happen to like lot of the people that i play with and i get along with them fine. with that being said, everyone knows someone in their play group who fits the magic "stereotype". He's the guy that still lives with his parents, doesn't shower, has no social skills, etcetera. While you might not feel the stereotype applies to you it unfortunetly exists for a reason. What can be done to combat this stereotype? who knows, but until it goes away the magic playing community will simply have to deal with it.

ForceofWill
01-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I'd just like to put a teenagers point of view in here. I'm 16 and I'm happy to say
my parents support me 100% and they would much rather have me be playing magic then smoking pot or breaking the law or even playing video games non stop. In fact my dad even goes around telling people about my accomplishments and what I've won playing magic. I also Notice That most people I play with are years older than me. I will be playing magic for years to come and I know it's not a childs game because it requires much thought and skill to be good at. Your average high schooler would try to play this game and be completly terrible. Anyway to parents out there you should support your kids playing magic because it is a great hobby and if they are good enough it can be profitable.

Complete_Jank
01-04-2007, 10:48 AM
Not sure I mentioned it, but beating a 14 year old at a game doesn't have the same effect that beating a 30 year old does when you are younger. Just like us older people love beating the younger kids. LOL, j/k :laugh:

I enjoy watching older people get beat by younger players. It establishes confidence in the kid and can help both of their egos.

ForceofWill
01-04-2007, 11:02 AM
a couple years ago at the NAC I playe against some cocky pro in the final round and I smashed him and for the next 20 minutes every time I heard him he was talking about how I got lucky and he shouldn't have lost and hes pro and such. (He was playing ravager).

Drkdstryer
01-04-2007, 12:08 PM
a couple years ago at the NAC I playe against some cocky pro in the final round and I smashed him and for the next 20 minutes every time I heard him he was talking about how I got lucky and he shouldn't have lost and hes pro and such. (He was playing ravager).

Well then he should have won : P Nothing beats Ravager!

Anyway, have you linked this thread on the MTGSalvation board? I think it would be good for this guy to read it. My best friends and I play Magic and we always have fun. And like everyone else said, it beats getting hammered every night during break.

Oddball
01-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, this thread is a very interesting idea as there are very different and interesting ways of combining magic with social life.
The most people here won't know me:
I'm a successful Legacy player here in Germany playing at Team ayb and doing Top8 at something around 80% of the great Tournaments I've played (12 last year I think)

I 'm 19 years old. I am doing a good school exam, have a nice girlfriend and visit most of the parties and concerts with my friends.
I am totally not like what other people would call the "typical magic player" (I am not ugly, smelly, don't wear Bandshirts and I also don't listen to Metal or even Hip Hop). But I like those people as they are -even if I am a bit different- and I like the game itself.

How I combine Magic and Social Life?
Well, until now I've managed that most of the people don't know that I'm wasting a bit of my free time by turning tradingcards.
Sometimes some people are disappointed if I leave a party Saturday night very early and don't drink that much, but they don't ask what I am exactly going to do the next day.
Of course my best friends, who know me since my birth and who are still with me, know about Magic, but they tolerate my hobby.
So why not telling everyone else about Magic?
I had some bad experiences by revealing Magic as my hobby to other people.
For example: There was a very nice girl on a party a year ago, who talked with me around 5 hours and I was sure that I would get her for that night. Well, no. One of my schoolmates who knew about Magic told her a little bit about me and in his drunkenness he also told her about Magic. I never saw that girl again (And I am confident that Magic was the reason she ignored me after that day, since the schoolmate tried to only tell her good things about me^^)
There are several other reasons why social life and hobbies shouldn't be compared.
The most important aspects are listed from the parents at the first post.
How my parents think about Magic?
They tolerate it and are glad whenever I tell them that I've won something,as well as the rest of my familiy, but they are also those who care about not overplaying the game and wasting friendships for it.

freakish777
01-04-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm surprised this hasn't been said yet:

"If you're the CEO of a company and you tell people you play Magic, you'll get a response of strange looks, etc"

If I'm the CEO of a company, I think I'm laughing all the way to the bank... not caring what most other people think about my hobbies. And if someone outside my organization wants to give me flack about my hobby, that's fine by me, unless it hurts my business. If someone inside my organizaiton wants to give me flack? Can you say Job Security? I don't think it's very wise to give "strange looks" to the CEO of the company you work for...

All this said I do have to agree about it not being "mainstream." I can only imagine that the kid that posted this originally has to come from a very white-collar family (mention of "If you're a CEO" -> Hopeful words, other activities mentioned are Chess, Golf, Reading) which in my opinion would much more influence the need to feel like image is important. I have to wonder if at some point Equal Opportunity Employers will also have to have clauses about "regardless of hobby" seeing as how some corporations have been reading employees (and possibly potential employees) blogs to make sure they aren't leaking information (and possibly to find out more about who they're employing).

As far as the rest of this goes: I'm 22, have a Bachelors in Computer Science, and am looking for work/re-applying to Graduate Schools. So, at the moment I can't be counted as "successful."

nitewolf9
01-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I do the most oddball things in my spare time (I play paintball for example, and have been on espn multiple times recently for it...still people don't care and give me weird looks when I tell them that and think I run around in the woods in cammo playing war. They don't understand it). I'm usually good at what I do because I do what I really enjoy. I feel sorry for the kids who's parents only support what they think is right or what he/she should be doing. Sure, push them to perform in school and all, give them support, but don't make it conditional support. If you are pushed into things, especially career choices, you won't succeed. My parents didn't question my interests in paintball, bought me magic cards for christmas when I asked for them, and always supported me because they knew it made me happy. I came out just fine, graduated from a great school with a great degree and got a great job, and I love my family because of it. A letter to the parents: STOP BEING ASSHOLES. Assholes create assholes. Besides, magic isn't about succeeding at all anyway. The problem that people don't understand what magic is, and the fact that it is more chess-like than anything else, is irrelevant. Even if it was glorified D&D, that shouldn't matter. It's something you do for fun and that's why it doesn't matter, it's for fun. You need things in life that make you smile no matter what, and if magic is that thing then so be it (granted you need some discipline to do the other important things in life as well).

On the topic of not getting girls because of magic, well:
a.) if you're going for the one nighter and you bring it up you probably deserve what you get (or you need to punch your friend in the balls for bringing it up...there is an art to being superficial), or
b.) if you want a meaningful relationship and it turns out she ditches you because of it she's either a stupid bitch that you're better off without, or you need to get your priorities in line (actually spend some time with her, etc.).

Yeah that's all I got.

mikekelley
01-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Nitewolf I used to be big on the paintball thing too. I was NPPL and all that shit, it was fun but then it turned into a giant cheatfest in the upper-levels. I hated it. Oh well.

nitewolf9
01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes: That's paintball. I'm playing more psp right now, cause I love xball, and the reffing is completely terrible. Plus there is practically a fist fight every other game for people playing on. At least it's not D1 NPPL, which was the most terrible experience I've ever had. It's nice when people spin on you and get the trade, and then your teammate gets a 3 for 1 for wiping his barrel off (yep, that was a semi-finals game...I'm still pissed about it). I'm sure I'll burn out eventually but shooting people is just too much fun :cool:
</off-topicness>

jamest
01-04-2007, 06:49 PM
MtG is considered geeky. Just gotta accept it. I think a good solution is, just be cool. Y'know, don't take things too seriously, have a sense of humor, be considerate to others ... If you're a cool person, people won't care what your hobbies are. They'll still make fun of you for playing MtG, but since you don't take things too seriously, you can deal with it just fine.

Pinder
01-05-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm 19, 20 in about a month, and I'm a (community) college student (planning to transfer to the UW for a major in Computer Sciences). Most people, when they find out that I play Magic, tend to wonder why I'm still playing a 'kid's game' at nearly 20 years old, but they generally change their mind after I relate to them that most of the better players are actually much older than I am, even. When I go into detail about how complex the game really is and the sort of thinking it involves, they usually come around. They still think I'm a geek,sure, but they'd think that if I told them I write C# programs in my spare time or am studying Vector Calculus. Magic is no different.

Mostly, you just have to learn to not be embarrassed by playing Magic. If you enjoy it, then you shouldn't ever feel like you have to make excuses for it. The only excuse you need is that it makes you happy. As Nightmare said, it's just a hobby, and as long it's not something unhealthy, then it really doesn't matter what you do. And it sure beats the hell out of collecting, say, stamps or baseball cards. Not only is there a secondary market value, but you can actually do stuff with them.

I myself have a ton of friends that I play Magic with, and a ton of friends that know nothing about the game. They know I play it, and they aren't really interested in something like that, but they don't think any less of me for it.

Cait_Sith
01-05-2007, 12:58 AM
Well then he should have won : P Nothing beats Ravager!

Anyway, have you linked this thread on the MTGSalvation board? I think it would be good for this guy to read it. My best friends and I play Magic and we always have fun. And like everyone else said, it beats getting hammered every night during break.

1) The late game beats Ravager.

2) I agree that spending money on cards is less superficial then spending it on cheap American beer. Consider this: the average time shifted squire is worth more (to an intelligent/alcoholically educated person) than the average American beer.

3)That kid's parents are n3wbz!

herbig
01-05-2007, 04:02 AM
I'm a 22 year old recent college graduate with a degree in Computer Science. I played Magic from Revised to Stronghold, then picked back up during Mirrodin and have been playing competatively since.

Trading card games are associated with little kids. Only if you're 14 or 15 years old, then its socially acceptable to play a game like magic. Magic is not mainstream, you won't make any good friends that way."

While it may be the misperception, competative magic is played by those who are generally older than 19. Also, I've met a lot of great friends through the game in places all over the US, which from a business perspective is excellent networking. I know people from all sorts of backgrounds who will not only lend me cards for tournaments, but can also lend professional advice if I need it.

Explaining to other people that I play Magic competatively can be somewhat strange. When I stayed with my girlfriend's relatives during GP Philly, by magic tournament they thought I was coming down for a magic show, like pulling a rabbit out of a hat or something.

I honestly don't care what other people think about it or whether they approve, but I haven't really experienced dissaproval. My parents never discouraged it. I even got some packs in my stocking this year (you guys that get whole boxes are spoiled, damn). My girlfriend doesn't mind it, except when I ignore her while reading forums or playing MWS, and shes getting to the point now where she understands the game without knowing the rules really. I don't ever buy cards so the only financial input is travel and entry fees.

Saying that you shouldn't do something because it isn't mainstream is ridiculous. Everything was once non mainstream. And who really wants to be forced to fit some sort of accepted norm anyways? If you like watching football then great, more power to you. Personally, I'd much rather engage in something that exercises my mind, builds social networks, and can potentially pay for itself financially.

I think the real problem here is why anyone would want to be the CEO of a company and why this kid's parents are wasting dinner with their college bound son.

outsideangel
01-05-2007, 04:45 AM
I dunno, the kid's parents do have something resembling a point, even if they aren't the sharpest knives in the box.

Will people think you're strange for playing what is commonly viewed as a childrens' card game?
Most definitely, yes.

Can that potentially hinder your ability to advance in certain social situations?
Unfortunately, yes.

Is that right?
Absolutely not.

Will it happen anyway?
You bet it will.

Does this mean we should quit playing Magic? Hell no. Nobody is forcing you to talk about it. Learn a thing or two about social settings and know when it is and is not appropraite to share your interest in this particular hobby.

Also lying is really, really easy.

I'm a 20 year old college student, and probably the biggest geek you'll ever know. I play Magic: the Gathering, often at a professional level. I attend anime conventions, in costume. I paint sci-fi miniatures. Will this ever impact any potential professional advancement in my life? No, it won't. Anime conventions are actually "Japanese media and culture conferences", you see. I'd rather tell that to my boss, when I'm asking for a couple days off of work, than "Hey, can I get some time off to go dress up and hang out with a bunch of people that really like foreign cartoons?"

dahcmai
01-05-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm 37 and I still go down to the local store every Saturday to play in the Legacy tournament. I'm not the oldest, not even the second oldest. The oldest is 57.

We're the teachers of the youngest section. It all balances out.

MattH
01-07-2007, 02:59 AM
The way you make a game mainstream is by having people play it and talk about playing it.

Bardo
01-07-2007, 02:31 PM
The way you make a game mainstream is by having people play it and talk about playing it.

Exactly. People are quick to judge and dismiss that which they don't understand. But if people just played the game and got past the whole "nerdy stigma" thing, it would far more acceptable to people that don't "get it."

Like, when I was playing against my buddy Dan ("Belzebozo" on SCG) last summer in the student lounge where I work (I work in a University), a few people in their mid-20s were watching us play curiously and one of them got up the courage to ask us what we're doing. Very nonchalantly Dan said we're "playing a card game that's like a cross between chess and poker." After that their mood lightened and they became interested in what we were doing.

So, if people project that they're doing something geeky and shameful, that's what people are going to pick up on--and judge accordingly.

MattH
01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
So, if people project that they're doing something geeky and shameful, that's what people are going to pick up on--and judge accordingly.

I've found that no matter the activity, if you speak about it with good feeling and passion, people will respect that and not think badly of you for it. I've used this to good effect in teaching math classes - I never took a teaching course in my life, but I got by being a good teacher by having my natural enthusiasm for the subject rub off on the students. The same approach works for Magic.

If you hang your head and hide it, people will assume you're doing something bad. If people see you having a good time, they'll wonder if maybe they could be having a good time at it too.

Cait_Sith
01-07-2007, 04:12 PM
I've found that no matter the activity, if you speak about it with good feeling and passion, people will respect that and not think badly of you for it.

I could make such a bad joke, but I won't

Seriously though, don't be ashamed of simply enjoying a game. It is supposed to be good when a family shares in something together. Besides, Magic is actually quite an intellectual challenge (especially in Legacy and Vintage).

Tacosnape
01-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm 25 and I've been playing since I was 13.

I think that, while it's correct that in Society's eyes Magic is not a highly respected game, it's because it's associated with the "Gamer" stereotype that has all of us wearing trench coats, not showering very often, making D&D references on an hourly basis, and generally having the social aptitude of a deer on an interstate. (Ooo! Look! A Car! Hi Mr. Car! Let's be friends.)
If you're reading this and you don't fit this description, I guarantee you that you at least know someone who does. Or several someones.

At the same time, when I was 13 and playing, there were several adults who played also. These guys took care of us and took us under our wing. They were always classy, always taught us things about magic and good sportsmanship, and always made us look up to them. Sometimes they'd give us a little bit better deal on a trade, knowing they weren't getting full value. They'd bend over backwards to make things easier for the kids.

Now that I'm 25, I try to follow the same example, but I understand why a little better. These people are like we are now. Adults who love the game, and want to keep as many people playing as possible. The adult cares more for the game than the kid does if he's played it as both, as with an adult it's an entire social scene of friends that's hard to give up (I wouldn't trade Team Laughing Hyena for anything.) It makes us feel like a kid again, lets us have fun, gives us a world where our only stress is what card to draft, or whether or not to Force the Duress, or finding that last Godless Shrine for your deck.

There's a huge adult following for this game, a lot of which play at people's houses because they don't want to go to the card shops packed with kids when they can have the more comfortable settings. Many just play online now. BUt when you do go to that card shop for that tournament, play with class and treat the kids like your equals. They're just there to play like you are. And maybe after some time, these kids will remember you, and try to model their behavior in the game after you. And maybe, just maybe, this will have some effect on Magic becoming a little more socially acceptable in the world.

But probably not.

TheDarkshineKnight
01-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Personally, I think you're never to old to do what you enjoy; aside from having sex with minors. :P

TeenieBopper
01-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Personally, I think you're never to old to do what you enjoy; aside from having sex with minors. :P

And even then...

Cait_Sith
01-13-2007, 05:10 PM
The trick is blaming it on the minor when you get caught. I think the same thing can be said for homicides.

noobslayer
01-15-2007, 01:16 PM
18 going on 19, currently attending a state school (SUNY Fredonia) for a degree in physics. I'm a huge geek. I play DnD (not as mcuh as I used to because of college), I play Smash Bros like it's my job, and I've been playing magic as long as I can remember (my oldest cousin got me into the game, as well as DnD). My parents have given me flack, my sister has given me flack, and my school mates have given me flack. I really didn't give a shit. Personally I don't see it as a game of wizards and magic. To me it's all about math, and strategy, similar to many other games. The only difference is it's incarnated into a trading card game.

I balanced myself out by running cross country for 6 years now, and outside of gaming, being a very social person, dating, going out partying, and being very involved in my community (I'm a recently awarded Eagle Scout), as well as being a fairly average student. If anything, gaming has made me smarter, more mentally able to formulate ideas, and allowed me to process data at a higher level.

advisory6000
01-16-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm 24 been, computer tech/part-time cook for waffle house aka what pays for magic. Started playing 8 years ago, back when i was 15 and 16 was a hardcore drug user, i was at the point where i was looking for a change pretty much. I was working down at a toy store and run in to a name pops, talk with him about some random topic about games. He told me about a TCG called magic the gathering, i was watching some of them play i was like this is chess with cards. They showed how to play first game i was hooked, played for a couple weeks learning the game, then it was a bolt of lightning hitting i have a new drug now, so long story short magic was my rehab, if i did not meet pops no clue where i could be now. Jump 5 years summer of 2004 I'm teaching kids how to play magic, running local tourneys and meeting new people. Jump to 2007 i have local player base of around 30 active people and I'm of the respected persons in my local magic community. So if someone tells you that a game cannot change you life, tell them to come talk with me.

Sorry for pouring about my soul, i'm done ranting.. laters mike

blitz
01-19-2007, 08:20 PM

I just partake in competitive things in general, magic just happens to be one of them. Go, Chess, guilty gear, smash bros M, MvC2, Third Strike, Counter strike, ping pong, snowboarding, skiing, fencing, okok the list goes on...

The point is: balance is balance, so here's one more guy that doesn't give a **** about mainstream anything. My character should speak for itself, and as far as my peeps go, it does for them.

Maldur Sven Vedukor
01-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I know lots of adults that play magic. I'm 30. Never is too old to play magic.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-20-2007, 03:32 PM
I agree with outside angel. It's not a sign of immatury(not automatically, anyway), but thinking that its a good thing to wear on your sleeve is pretty naive.

Heh. That rhymed.

Ebinsugewa
01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm currently 18, and I started playing in the cutoff between Urza's Destiny and Mercadian Masques. I started playing as a way of making friends; all the older kids would play Magic before school and I saw the opportunity to play a game while branching out. I never spent much money, and I still don't to this day, because the game is not my entire life. Certainly, it is one of the major things I do for entertainment, but I also play poker, hang out with friends, listen to music, you know.. Anyways, the game has been anything but bad to me. It has taught me the concept of money management (when you're like 10, you have to budget that allowance, right?) and also offered me a great opportunity. I currently am making my career working for a wholesale Magic company. I'm a buyer, shipper, order puller, sorter, whole nine yards. Magic has offered me the ability to make back all the time and effort I put into the game with gainful enployment. Never do I feel ashamed telling people where I work or what I do with a lot of my free time. We also sell comics, video games, and other stuff, so when people see Magic in this light, there is never a stigma attached to it. I know plenty of people (Andy Stokinger, my boss, for one) that have rewarded me with their friendship or other help in school, or some sort of opportunity as a result of playing Magic and being friendly. I gladly help newer players because I have the collection to, and it can only return itself in good karma when they get more comfortable with the game and maybe make deck suggestions or card choices that you never would have considered. These are the reasons I still play Magic over any other hobby or interest I have, and I will never quit playing or stop being the way I am because of how misinformed people are.

- Brendan

Nightmare
01-23-2007, 01:52 PM
...but thinking that its a good thing to wear on your sleeve is pretty naive.I'm failing to see how taking pride in your accomplishments and free-time endeavours is naive. I'd say it's naive to think that what your hobbies are has any bearing on your employability whatsoever.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm failing to see how taking pride in your accomplishments and free-time endeavours is naive. I'd say it's naive to think that what your hobbies are has any bearing on your employability whatsoever.

Then why would you be proud of it?

Nightmare
01-24-2007, 04:10 PM
Then why would you be proud of it?Because employability isn't the only thing effected by your self-confidence? Being ashamed of, or even hiding, your hobbies is only going to make you less sure of yourself. If you have to question what you do for fun, it implies that it either isn't healthy or that you shouldn't be doing it. Magic fits neither of these.

I'm internationally known for my skill at this game. So are you. There aren't very many people out there who can make that claim about anything, let alone something they do in their free time. Why shouldn't we be proud of it?

jamest
01-25-2007, 03:28 PM
I know plenty of people (Andy Stokinger, my boss, for one) that have rewarded me with their friendship
Funny, Andy Stokinger was the biggest asshole I've ever run across in a Magic tournament (GP Philly). I remember, after I won our match, I extended my hand for a shake and he yelled "No!" and stormed off. Gracious loser. Anyways, he made at least one enemy that day.

Jim
01-27-2007, 10:38 AM
story time...

I'm almost 24 and have being playing magic since a free period in the 4th grade, when two of my friend let me watch them play a few and then let me try to see if I got it. I've been playing since 1994-5, but didn't own any of my own cards really till the next year. I borrowed cards to play in my first tournament and I got 2nd playing a deck that would be illegal by today's restricted/ban lists...it was great. I ended up trading my game boy and games to my friend for his whole collection in the 5th grade. I still have all the duals I got from him, but I trade the Chaos Orb immediately, even then you knew it was going to get banned soon.

My parent's have, and will always, be awesome when it comes to Magic. Whenever they know I've been to a tournament they ask me all about and let me tell them stories about it. Just throwing it out there, my dad is 64 and my mom is 59, so they're no youngsters. I taught my dad how to play one evening after getting done with a long game of rummy and that was like 6-7 years ago. So, my dad understand what's going on when I tell about tournaments and new stuff in the game.

Funny thing is, in college, at work or wherever, I always get more flack about another facet of my life which is endurance running, then I do about anything geeky. It's amazing how normal playing a fun fantasy card (etc.) seems to the average person when put next to doing 100k or 100-miles runs. I guess it's all about perspective.

From my experience people are usually really cool about Magic and such, mainly because there's ALWAYS some part of another person's life that is equally as eccentric, in it's own right.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-28-2007, 02:44 AM
Because employability isn't the only thing effected by your self-confidence? Being ashamed of, or even hiding, your hobbies is only going to make you less sure of yourself.

Yes to the former, no to the latter. Realizing that almost any social or professional situation is a poor one to bring Magic into it says nothing about a lack of self-confidence. It says that you know that A)the topic is almost assuredly irrelevant, and B)negative associations with the game do exist, and for legitimate reasons. A great many Magic players are unhygenic, socially inept people, and are frequently arrogant. A great many others are simply young children or are younger people without gainful employment.

Discussing a hobby with far more negative associations than positive ones for no discernable gain is just bad policy. If you think someone may actually have some interest in it, then that's fine, but the vast, vast majority of the time, acquaintances have no idea I play Magic, and that suits me.

I'm internationally known for my skill at this game. So are you. There aren't very many people out there who can make that claim about anything, let alone something they do in their free time. Why shouldn't we be proud of it?

"Internationally known" is very misleading in a little-played constructed format of a hobby game where the majority of participants don't know any actual "professionals" besides possibly the Invitationals. The international Legacy community would be lucky to top 1,000. I'm not trying to be negative or say that playing Magic is shameful. But it's not a bragging right, either. It's just a hobby. I wouldn't mention collecting spoons on an interview or a date; Magic is no different.

Jak
01-28-2007, 03:27 AM
There are definite stereotypes. You look at the kids who play during lunch at my school and they are definitely the gamers stereotype. This is mainly why I don't go around flaunting that I play a card game because the first thing people think of would be something like Yugioh or Pokemon which are more for the younger crowd.

But anyways, my parents don't really care that I play or anything they just hate that I spend so much money on it. At first my dad didn't really like me playing or on forums about it all the time, but he has warmed up to it. I just explained to my parents that there is more to the game than playing with little critters and such. I just think it is a very fun hobbie, but it definitely is not my whole life. I play many sports and hang out with friends. Magic is on the side.

TeenieBopper
01-28-2007, 05:42 AM
something I noticed a while ago and was reminded about in this thread- you tend to notice two different types of people in the magic community. To put it simply, they are the competitive people and the casuals. The competitive people don't usually fit the gamer stereotype of socially inept and unhygenic geeks, whereas you might do that for a lot of casual players. Compare two different magic tournaments; the pro tour and the pre-release. Take most people who attend the pro tour and stick them in a public setting, you probably aren't going to be able to tell that they play magic. This really isn't the case at a pre-release. If you're competitive at magic, chances are you're fairly "normal", you just channel your energy, skills, and talents into a non-standard medium. I think it's probably the same for most geeky or dorky hobbies. I'd be willing to bet that a great majority of WoW players in cutting edge, end-game guilds lean more towards a jock stereotype than a gamer one.

on1y0ne
01-28-2007, 07:10 AM
Even though I have read this thread and pointed it out to several of my friends, I have not posted until now. I am 30 and I play Magic. I have been playing since Ice Age with a brief bow out during Odyssey block. Though I have sold my collection several times, I was never able to leave the game completely.

Right now, I try to play in at least on Limited event every week. That may become more difficult with the new job I have taken. To be honest, I would love to spend more time playing or judging events, but I know that there are responsibilities that I have that must be attended to before Magic.

With my new job, a decision has to be made, which is a difficult one. One of the requirements is working weekends, and it is very lucrative to do so. Since I judge at Pre-Release events, though they are only a few times a year, the financial aspect of that decision can be harsh. It is not a decision I want to make, yet it may be necessary for me to discontinue my involvement in such events.

About seven years ago, I spent quite a bit of time playing Magic. Actually, I was playing Magic every night save one. At that time, I was well respected in the area as a good player in 1.5, Type 2 and Limited. When I met the young lady I eventually married (and divorced), that all changed. My Magic playing dropped to a single day of the week, most weeks, and I initiated the first liquidation of my collection.

She was supportive of my hobby as long as it didn't interfere with my life outside of Magic. She understood that Magic was a part of my life, and it helped make me who I am. Every single one of us would be different if it were not for Magic. Granted, I don't openly talk about the game in other social circles, but it is not for fear of rejection, but due to the misinformation and lack of knowledge in the world about the game. Too often has the question been posed, "How do you play?" Generally, my response includes the fact that the game takes many of the strategies involved in Poker and Chess and blends them in a fantasy theme. I don't like explaining it to people who may not be interested.

Does playing Magic make me a bad person? Absolutely not. And if I were talking to people I knew and respected, if the topic of Magic worked its way into the conversation, I would lose respect for anyone who judged me because of my hobby. Dungeons & Dragons or YuGiOh are the two most common associations people think of if they don't know our game. With D&D, people associate non-hygenic players huddled together in a dark basement pretending to be wizards and not being able to distinguish real life from their fantasy world. YuGiOh is associated with little kids. Neither of those is an accurate description of most Magic players, nor is it even close to what I am.

I am a Magic player. Though many people don't understand what it means, it is still who I am. I even spoke of it in my interview for the job I now have, due to needing time off for tournaments. I am not ashamed of what I do, and neither should anyone else be. I am most dissappointed in the fact that I may not be able to play much any more. Magic is not my life, but it is a part of me and I am a part of it. That's the bottom line, and my two cents on the subject.

cupajoe
01-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Spatula is on to something here

How many of you folks mentioned Magic when you went on a first date?

If you did, how far down the list of hobbies did you go before you mentioned it?....Most guys would probably mention weightlifting, any number of manly hobbies etc. before listing Magic....Even if you played Magic several times per week and in reality it was clearly your favorite hobby

Talk all the brave talk in the world about how you proclaim the greatness of Magic to the masses, but I'm betting you do it far less than you claim you do.....

Let's face it, it has a negative stereotype, however wrong it might be....As Spatula was saying, people tend not to bring up negative stereotypes in many social settings....I talk to many people out in the public for my job, and I've almost never mentioned it.....

Here's another problem with talking about Magic, even if the people you're talking to don't have a negative stereotype about Magic....People can't relate to it....It would be like saying your hobby is studying Latin....People would go, "oh," and then move on.....But if you say, "Oh, I collect classic cars" or "I love to golf or scuba dive," or even "I'm really into poker" or "traveling to Europe" that gives them something to talk to you about.....

Saying you play a game they don't understand, and then you have to explain it to them....It's a conversation killer

By the way, Magic has less of a negative stereotype than D&D....At least with Magic you've got the poker and chess comparisons, and the competitive aspect, which everyone gets.....

Friends, that's a different situation....Of course I'll mention Magic to my non-Magic-playing friends, and they don't think anything less of me for it....

To the married dude: Just wait until you have a baby, then you'll be lucky to play once a month...But it's all good....I think you appreciate your hobbies more....and at least for me, if I was away from my son too much I'd feel guilty anyway....

Anarky87
01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Personally, when I went on the first date with my now current g/f, I believe it was one of first few things I mentioned. It was obvious that I wasn't a weight lifter from my physique (Not that I'm obese), I'm not a big fan of car races or whatever, not that big of sports fan, nor do I care for poker all that much. I don't understand why people are letting it become a conversation killer. My g/f even asked one time to go with me when I went to play. Because all she saw it as was me going with about 4-5 of my friends to hang out and do something we liked.

I probably wouldn't list it as one of my life's accomplishments, but I do throw it out there sometimes in conversations when people ask and it has never utterly killed the conversation. But I don't dwell on it while talking about; I usually just give a few words about it, make them understand that travelling to play can usually yield several hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. That way they can maybe relate it to poker with its large prize payouts.

I think the balance is to not make Magic your life. I go to college, work a job, maintain a relationship (that's coming up on a year and half), I enjoy music and playing guitar, writing, and a lot of other things. If you don't let it become an obssession and the only thing you do, you're good to go and there should be nothing wrong with mentioning it in a conversation really. It probably wouldn't be good to delve into the whole concept in detail unless you're asked, but a general summary I can't see being a bad thing.