PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Descriptions

Peter_Rotten
01-08-2007, 01:43 PM
After much prompting and general nagging from the Adepts, the Mod staff has changed the Forum descriptions (as of today - 1/8/07). Incorporating much of the Adepts' suggestions, Zilla created these new descriptions:

Legacy Metagame Forum
For "competitive" decks: Decks which are optimized, thoroughly tested, played in a variety of metagames, and have proven themselves in a competitive tournament environment. A deck is not required to be Tier 1 to be included in the LMF.

Open Forum
For "finished" decks: Decks which are optimized and thoroughly tested. A deck is not required to have proven itself in a competitive tournament environment to be included in the Open Forum, but it is recommended. A thorough writeup including card choices, strategy, and matchup descriptions is required.

New and Developmental Forum
For "unfinished" decks: For new or relatively untested decks and ideas which require further development or optimization. Also for casual and budget decks. Once a developmental deck has been fully optimized, it can be moved to the Open Forum by a moderator. A writeup including card choices and basic strategy is required.

You may notice that such inclusions as Bw Braids, Sliver Control, and MUC in the Open forum are now very reasonable. One aspect of the new write-ups that I particularly like is the avoidance of qualifying decks as Great, Good, or Bad. One minor thing that we consistently struggle with on this site is the misconception that a deck in Open is a "better" deck than a deck in N&D. Hopefully these new write-ups help squelch that belief.

So, what do you think? Like 'em? Hate 'em? Don't care?

umbowta
01-08-2007, 02:35 PM
I like em. I was thinking it might be a good idea to somehow designate the tier 1 decks within the LMF, just to make them easier to find, but I'm glad to see more optimized decks represented. This might actually have the side effect of a more diverse metagame while encouraging creativity and development of new ideas. Sounds good to me.

Cait_Sith
01-08-2007, 03:33 PM
I like the old way better. It keeps the creme de la creme of Legacy easy to see and access, although this will make people feel better.

Vardaman
01-08-2007, 03:40 PM
At the very least, it'll cut down on people bitching that their favorite deck isn't in the DTB/Tier 1 sub-forum.

Peter_Rotten
01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
An Important Side Note:

Be sure to check your display options. When we changed the forum descriptions, the display options may have been reset and now only display the most recent threads.

Thank Anwar for pointing this out.

Hoojo
01-08-2007, 04:01 PM
I like it. Great work.

Cait_Sith
01-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Be sure to check your display options. When we changed the forum descriptions, the display options may have been reset and now only display the most recent threads.

I am having trouble finding where I can reset this.

AnwarA101
01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I am having trouble finding where I can reset this.

1) Click User CP in the Top left-hand corner.
2) Click Edit Options on the left-hand side.
3) Go all the way to the bottom and look for Default Thread Age Cut Off and set it to whatever you want. Currently its set to Forum Default.

Information provided by ObfuscateFreely.

Complete_Jank
01-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I really like the idea, and think it can work better than it has been set up, but a few things I'd like to point out or ask a question about.

Maybe we can get people to stop posting, "X card wrecks your deck, so I'd never play this," or "Y deck is so much better why play this?" in the N&D section. N&D is exactly that, and people are looking to improve on those decks that are posted in there. Posting instead, "Do you worry about X card," or "What are the Pro's and Con's of this deck vice Y deck?"

As for the Legacy Metagame Forum...Are we just stuck with those decks played on the the East Coast, as that is the majority of the Staff and Legacy Adepts? I think it would be nice if you had some Adepts from other locations. San Diego/L.A./Southern California for example has none.

I don't believe in nominating myself so I recommend JACO. He is probably the only person that knows more than I; He is a good deck builder; He is open-minded which I believe is a good trait for the job; His performance in tourneys is almost as good as mine; but unfortunately he'll be moving back to Chicago within the next few months.