PDA

View Full Version : An introduction to Legacy

mogote
01-21-2007, 01:17 PM
What Are The Formats? (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/academy/21)
It's a mtg.com article giving introductions to the different constructed formats and tips for starters.
The 'detailed' description for Legacy is about to bring a lot of new players into the format, that's for sure.
(Just look for yourself and compare it to Vintage and other formats and you'll see.)

The Rack
01-21-2007, 01:30 PM
I read that awhile ago and was disgusted with the brevity of the article. He basically says "Why play Legacy over Vintage?" It was a let down for sure.

Anarky87
01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I thought it was an interesting read, but as far as Legacy was concerned, the description seemed rather short and lacking content. It seemed all the other formats received a pretty comprehensive write up (For the most part), Legacy was just kinda, "Ok, here's the format, it's different from Vintage because some powerful cards are banned, but some aren't. And on occasion gets some recognition from WOTC." And that was it. No mention of goldfish turns (Unless he just lumped it in the same boat as Vintage), or common archetypes to watch out for or what to expect.

And when reading it, it still felt like Legacy was Vintage's dorky little brother that Vintage picks on and calls names when he brings 2 or 3 cheerleaders home after the big game. It still didn't feel separated all that much from Vintage. I think the descriptions of the other formats were done rather nicely, I just believe Legacy could have received abit more info.

mogote
01-21-2007, 03:43 PM
I agree with the other formats being better described. There even was a link to TMD as the main Vintage community.
In total it gives the impression that Legacy is the stepchild of constructed magic that's barely worth mentioning.

Bardo
01-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Actually, the Vintage write-up had more content than any other section. Compare:

Standard: 245 words
Block: 366 words
Extended: 229 words
Vintage: 425 words (!)
Legacy: 125 words
Two-headed Giant: 109 words

Legacy came in at a paltry 125 words, just 16 more words than ThG.

The Legacy description was definitely weak.

- Bardo, who will never get back the 7 minutes of my life it took to write this post.

herbig
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
...Legacy [is] Vintage's dorky little brother that Vintage picks on and calls names when he brings 2 or 3 cheerleaders home after the big game.

Cait_Sith
01-21-2007, 09:06 PM
What do so many people confuse Legacy for Vintage Lite? This is not poor man's Vintage people. Like Extended? Sure! I means, TEPS is an awesome Legacy deck. It may not have its primary (only?) win condition, but meh. Maybe I'll go get mad on the MTG Forums.

Anusien
01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
[14:27] <NinjaKai> ahh
[14:27] <NinjaKai> now it makes sens
[14:27] <NinjaKai> e
[14:27] <NinjaKai> ffej was in wacky asking lots of questions about set rotations adn banned / restricted lists
[14:27] <NinjaKai> on thursday night i think
[14:27] <NinjaKai> now i get why
[14:28] <Anusien> Did you tell him to pay more attention to Leg Ah See?
[14:29] <NinjaKai> he was like "what is legacy? vintage but with more banned cards?"
[14:29] <NinjaKai> and we told him that it was separate
[14:29] <Anusien> It's clear he knows nothing about it
[14:29] <NinjaKai> o rly?

Finn
01-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not disappointed. It seems clear to me that Mr. Cunningham wrote a clear analysis of the format chock full of everything he knows about it. And he was pushing it at 125 words. This level of knowledge is just par for the course.

I would gamble that he has played Vintage enough to know how it works. And he has certainly played the other formats. That is why he doesn't need to do an ounce of research. He is experienced with the other formats so he knows exactly what Legacy is like. Duh!

It's the same way my boss knew he wanted to start getting rear jammed. He had been with women and figured that it was pretty much the same thing.

Cait_Sith
01-21-2007, 11:28 PM
You boss wanted to explore his bisexual feelings because he had been with women? That makes more sense than this article. I love this line: "Without them, Legacy plays much differently and perhaps more closely resembles Extended than Vintage."

Translation: "The fuck if I know. I don't play this crap, I waste my money on a format without even a Grand Prix."

I love how he notes that there have been several successful ports from Vintage into Legacy, but a lot fewer from Extended.

Xero
01-21-2007, 11:53 PM
Lame. He could have at least done a little research into the format. :rolleyes: Damn people.

It's the same way my boss knew he wanted to start getting rear jammed. He had been with women and figured that it was pretty much the same thing.
Someone didn't pass Sex Ed.

Bardo
01-22-2007, 03:31 AM
As much as I want to pee on stuff that makes me want to puke, ffeJ helped write one of the best Magic articles (http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/article/10521.html) in the history of the game, so all is water under the bridge, as far as I'm concerned.

Complete_Jank
01-22-2007, 03:09 PM
Most articles published on Wizard's site will be slanted towards Standard & Limited. Those are the two money makers for Wizards, why would they ever try to tell anyone to play older formats when they won't make much money off it?

Bardo
01-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Most articles published on Wizard's site will be slanted towards Standard & Limited. Those are the two money makers for Wizards, why would they ever try to tell anyone to play older formats when they won't make much money off it?

While I hear you and agree--note that the Vintage explanation was by far the most detailed. Limited wasn't even mentioned (well, just in passing) and the Vintage write up was nearly 200 words longer than the description on Standard.

Peter_Rotten
01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
The article was bad, but that doesn't mean we need to threads to discuss its suck-i-tude.