PDA

View Full Version : Altering Cards - What do you use?

Pinder
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
So, I was wondering what sort of pens or other supplies people used when they were modifying Magic cards. I ask this because I wanted to black out all but the art in the new PC Charms to make some Moxen proxies for Vintage, but so far a Sharpie just hasn't been cutting it.

So what would people reccomend?

The Rack
01-21-2007, 11:41 PM
I use sharpies and felt pens. They haven't smeared on me yet!

Vardaman
01-22-2007, 12:57 AM
That's actually a pretty cool idea for making moxen proxies.

Nightmare
01-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Erasing - Acetone and a Q-tip
Inking - Sharpies of various colors, Colored Pencils, BIC Mark-It pens

Pinder
01-23-2007, 02:39 PM
That's actually a pretty cool idea for making moxen proxies.

Actually, Klaan also had a wonderful idea in using Walk of the Aeons and Ancestral Visions as Time Walk/Recall Proxies in much the same way. Any other cards anyone can think of that bear resemblance to P9? Lotus Bloom I suppose, but those are kind of pricey. Maybe Lotus Blossom? Gilded Lotus? Or a Blacker Lotus :laugh:!

I guess we just need something for Time Twister, then.

And thanks to Nightmare for the Acetone-Qtip idea (but where am I going to get acetone?), but I still can't seem to get everything completely black with just a Sharpie. There are always light and dark spots. Am I just doing it wrong?

Watcher487
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
And thanks to Nightmare for the Acetone-Qtip idea (but where am I going to get acetone?), but I still can't seem to get everything completely black with just a Sharpie. There are always light and dark spots. Am I just doing it wrong?

Normally when I fiddling around with a card I would have a paper towel to go over the sharpie as I'm going. I've also found that you really need to go lightly on the card esepcially with a sharpie when trying to 'paint' over it. The harder you press down on the card the more likely you are to have wet spots and dry areas.

Nightmare
01-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Actually, Klaan also had a wonderful idea in using Walk of the Aeons and Ancestral Visions as Time Walk/Recall Proxies in much the same way. Any other cards anyone can think of that bear resemblance to P9? Lotus Bloom I suppose, but those are kind of pricey. Maybe Lotus Blossom? Gilded Lotus? Or a Blacker Lotus :laugh:!

I guess we just need something for Time Twister, then.

And thanks to Nightmare for the Acetone-Qtip idea (but where am I going to get acetone?), but I still can't seem to get everything completely black with just a Sharpie. There are always light and dark spots. Am I just doing it wrong?None of these Ideas are particularly new. I have a swath of proxies made of similarly-named cards, including many of those you mention. Ancestral Visions is probably the most-used card to proxy a Recall. As for Twister, you can use any blue draw-7, like Time Spiral or Diminishing Returns. I've also used Time Ebb.

Sharpies are inconsistant at best, but they're unfortunately the best at what they do. I've blackened stuff out with other markers and stuff, but sometimes it marks the cards (you can tell which ones in your deck are modded, because the ink sticks to the sleeves and crackles when you draw it).

Oh, you can get Acetone at a hardware store, or like Home Depot or whatever. Pretty much anywhere they sell paint.

Vardaman
01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
You should be able to find acetone in the paint section of wal-mart.

Pinder
01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Right, thanks.

Drathro
01-24-2007, 09:08 AM
You should be able to find acetone in the paint section of wal-mart.
If you can't find that, unscented nail polish remover is typically acetone. (I know this beacuse I have a degree in Chemistry and therefore an interest in chemicals, not because I need to remove nail polish.)

Vardaman
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
If you can't find that, unscented nail polish remover is typically acetone. (I know this beacuse I have a degree in Chemistry and therefore an interest in chemicals, not because I need to remove nail polish.)

But does it have a lower concentration of acetone? I know it didn't seem to work as well for me.

Drathro
01-25-2007, 11:53 AM
But does it have a lower concentration of acetone? I know it didn't seem to work as well for me.
It's probably diluted, I suppose. Check the label in any case.

Nightmare
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
It's probably diluted, I suppose. Check the label in any case.Not all nail polish remover contains acetone, you should check the labels for active ingredients. And yes, it's significantly diluted. Acetone can eat through plexiglass. Nail polish remover comes in plastic bottles.

Drathro
01-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Not all nail polish remover contains acetone, you should check the labels for active ingredients. And yes, it's significantly diluted. Acetone can eat through plexiglass. Nail polish remover comes in plastic bottles.

I've used Nail Polish remover as a substitute for acetone to clean things before, but that was on non-porous surfaces. If we assume that the acetone is diluted with water, then the water would seep into the card, making life difficult for the card-alterer. (Technically the acetone seeps in too, but it evaporates much more quickly.)

In any case, always check the label, and remember that acetone is volatile and flammable, so use it in a well-ventilated area and no smoking. Gloves aren't strictly necessary, but it will dry out your skin a little.

By the way, acetone does not dissolve all plastics, but I think it's cool that plexiglass is soluble in it.

Nightmare
01-29-2007, 01:50 PM
The first time I used acetone, not realizing how volatile it is, I poured a bit in a plastic cup and used it to work with. When I picked up the cup, the bottom part of it was fused with the Laquer finish on my table, and had eaten into it, leaving a ring-shaped mess in the table.

My dad was at a Packaging-Machine show in Chicago (his company makes machines), and needed to clean off part of one of the machines. He asked around for some windex, and while no one had any, somebody did have acetone. He poured it on a rag and wiped the plexiglass, but wiped right into it, his rag coming away with some of the plexiglass in hand, and a huge smear right across the face of the machine.

This stuff is hardcore, use it with caution.

Pinder
01-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Good to know.

Drathro
02-06-2007, 12:15 AM
So, given that I could use acetone to remove the ink, what can I use to mask the borders that won't rip the card but will also not dissolve in the acetone?

Also, if I don't use acetone, what is the best substance to mask the borders then?