PDA

View Full Version : 4X Tropical Island Tournament Dragon's Lair W.Springfield, MA.

TheDragonsLair
01-22-2007, 06:36 PM
THE DRAGON"S LAIR in West Springfield Ma announces our large Legacy tournament for the month of February.
Date: Sunday February 25th 2007
Start Time: 12:30PM Registration begins at 11:30 PM
Type: Legacy (1.5) Cost: $10.00
Minimum of 12 People
Where: 683 Westfield ST
West Springfield MA 01089
(413) 731-7237
1st place: 4 Tropical Islands or $100.00 store credit
2nd place: 4 Mox Diamonds or $50.00 store credit
3rd Place: 4 Wastelands or $30.00 store credit
4th Plae: 2 Null Rods or $20.00 store credit
5th-8th Places each get 3 boosters.
This will be a SANCTIONED event.
This will be our first Legacy tournament where PLANAR CHOAS will be legal.
Call early if you want to pre-register
Hope to see you there.

ForceofWill
01-22-2007, 06:44 PM
oh I"d like to make this a lot.

But it is the same week of Grand Prix Dallas. Maybe move it up a week :)
but If I don't go to Dallas I'll be there.

Bane of the Living
01-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Would it be impossible to move this event? Dallas will probably effect attendance and whether or not I go this day is still bad. This sounds like a great tourny too.

TheDragonsLair
01-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Would it be better for people to have it the week before or after?

Also we are having a release tourny for Planar Chaos on Saturday the 3rd at 6:00 PM. PM me for details.

Bane of the Living
01-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Either is better, thanks. How much will the release be?

TheDragonsLair
01-24-2007, 07:40 PM
25.00 for 6 boosters. 1st prize is 1/2 box of planar, 2nd is 12 packs, 3rd is 6 packs. Prize will increase based on attendance. Everyone gets a foil for playing in the event.

insertnamehere
01-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Would it be better for people to have it the week before or after?

Also we are having a release tourny for Planar Chaos on Saturday the 3rd at 6:00 PM. PM me for details.

The week before because the week after is when we win at the Mana Leak Open.

Watcher487
01-25-2007, 08:57 AM
The week before because the week after is when we win at the Mana Leak Open.

But the week before is Running Gagg, in which will definatly be a hit on attendance.

As far as I'm concerned just leave it as is.

scrumdogg
01-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Or either move it back 2 weeks or ahead 2 weeks.....but that is apparently a very crowded time of the year tournament-wise. Be nice to see it stay after Feb. 20 so we can play with Planar Chaos cards, though. Where is the next Mana Leak posted, btw, I haven't seen any information on it.

EDIT: nvm....didn't read forum before entering this (the top thread)...yeah conflicting with TML 2 would be suicidal for attendance

TheDragonsLair
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Yeah competing with mana leak would be bad since I too will be there. I think I will leave it as is, That way anyone preparing for Mana Leak can try out decks. As for Dallas, I don't think too many of the people that come to our events will be going. However if they are, I wish them the best of luck.

insertnamehere
02-12-2007, 07:22 AM
bump

Lego
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
I can actually go to this if you leave it where it is, but I don't think that's incentive to not change the date... are there any updates on when it is officially going to be?

insertnamehere
02-13-2007, 05:42 AM
The date is not changing.

ForceofWill
02-13-2007, 05:44 AM
Yah I'm alright with it the way it is. I'll be there.

Lego
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM
Hmm, for some reason I was thinking Worcester. The Commuter Rail does not go to Springfield... well, maybe if I'm not in NYC I'll just take the bus out, it's not too difficult. Would someone like to pick me up at the bus station? For some reason I feel like Bill doesn't like me (I think I argued against him on a rules question or something, I don't remember. Do you remember Bill? :smile: (hopefully not :wink:))

insertnamehere
02-14-2007, 09:30 AM
I hold grudges for 2 seconds. You need a ticket? I can pick you up. P.M. me the info I need

TheDragonsLair
02-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes the date is as it was originally posted. I hope to see you all there.

KillemallCFH
02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Wow, theres a lot of people from Mass on The Source. I'll see you guys there!

Bane of the Living
02-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Id like to think we're the bulk of the east coast legacy scene along with NY. We've got some good players in MA, but I think scrummdog is our only legacy adept for some forsaken reason.

ForceofWill
02-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Lego were you that kid playing storm combo who got into the ruling over floating mana in the upkeep.

Lego
02-19-2007, 12:10 AM
No no, definitely not me! I've never played storm combo at a real tournament. Just weekly tournaments in Albany where I crushed Life with Spring Tide :wink: I don't even remember what the argument was last time. I did get in some weird argument with Elves though about damage on the stack and Jitte counters and weird stuff. *Shrug* I don't remember it all.

ForceofWill
02-19-2007, 12:49 AM
then you here today?

TheDragonsLair
02-22-2007, 01:03 PM
For those of you that are interested, we will be doing random deck checks, so if you ant to save time, bring a copy of your decklist with you. The format for your list doesn't matter, as long as it is easy to read, and has your name and dci number on it.

ForceofWill
02-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Yah I'll try but I have problems finishing decks before tournys and running survival makes decklists a pain.

insertnamehere
02-22-2007, 10:17 PM
I think I will submit 2 different decklist (1 on each side of the paper) and switch off depending on who I am playing. Do you think they would notice?

Peter_Rotten
02-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Why wasn't this tourney posted on our calendar?

/whips staff into shape.

In the future, please PM a Mod to get your tourney on the calendar.

Bane of the Living
02-24-2007, 02:42 PM
For those of you that are interested, we will be doing random deck checks..

Im really not interested in a random deck check but Ill have a list ready for you regardless. Just to double make sure, PC is legal for this? Does anyone have and Flooded Strands or Polluted Deltas to borrow?

Lego
02-24-2007, 02:49 PM
We have a calendar here?

On other notes: My Savannahs never came, so unless someone lends them or trades them to me, I'll be playing Shahrazad.

Bane of the Living
02-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Ive got one savannah that did come in the mail on time for you! I have 4 Temple Gardens too, I dont know how much you like your damage tho. Seriously tho, play Shahrazard.

KillemallCFH
02-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Im really not interested in a random deck check but Ill have a list ready for you regardless. Just to double make sure, PC is legal for this? Does anyone have and Flooded Strands or Polluted Deltas to borrow?I've got 2 Flooded Strands. Unless anyone give me a reason not to trust you, I'll let you borrow them.

On a similar note, I still need 4 Archaeological Digs for my deck and my bro needs 1 more Psi Blast. If anyone has any Digs laying around and would like to help me out I'd be most grateful.

ForceofWill
02-24-2007, 03:54 PM
nate I got strands for you but I need a shitton of cards If I dont' talk to keith to get all that I need.

Peter_Rotten
02-24-2007, 04:18 PM
How many ppl are expected for this? Are we talking like 20? Or more like 40?

And what the hell is the Mass meta like? Is it nothing but bad Survival decks? :wink:

ForceofWill
02-24-2007, 04:21 PM
HEY HEY HEY. You've hurt my honor.. I challenge you to a dual!!

we had like 26+ at the last one. I"m predicting 30+ this time. I'm also a little scared if we have enough room.

tivadar
02-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Last time was 22 exactly I believe. From the sounds of it this one is going to have more. I'd guess maybe 26-28 or so. I've been at 4 of the DL major tourneys as well as a couple smaller local ones. From what I've seen, the meta shifts, but some of it is below:

Pithings don't seem to be too prevalent, so there's a good amount of survival as well as welder sur.
Goblins is about on par with what you'd expect, it's died down quite a bit.
Solidarity is greatly lacking, it makes it's appearances, but I for one have NEVER actually played against it there.
Aggro control seems to be the preference currently, with the split going one of two ways, some combo of UWB, or Gro of one form or another.
Burn and sligh is slightly more represented than average, I've played against it a fair number of times.
Affinity also seems to be a bit overrepresented there.
Faerie Stompy and Iggy basically don't exist.

Keep in mind, this is western mass, about 2 hours out of boston, and an hour and a half or so from woosta. Those areas have a very different meta from what I've seen. I was playing south of Boston and played Iggy a fair share of time. I don't think Mass as a whole has a strong meta, almost all the decks are fairly well played there.

insertnamehere
02-25-2007, 07:45 AM
Im really not interested in a random deck check but Ill have a list ready for you regardless. Just to double make sure, PC is legal for this? Does anyone have and Flooded Strands or Polluted Deltas to borrow?

I have 4 Polluted Deltas that you can borrow.

KillemallCFH
02-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, I'm off. 'Tis a long drive from Stoughton. See you all there.

Peter_Rotten
02-25-2007, 09:02 AM
OK, cool. Hope you play Sunrise Eggs.

kabal
02-25-2007, 07:44 PM
Anyone have any news regarding the outcome?

Jaynel
02-25-2007, 09:21 PM
The T8 had some Goblins and some UBW Fish for sure. There were a ton of people who ended up 3-1-1, but I don't know how the tiebreakers went.

I had a fun time with Rg Goblins (I went 3-2), and it was great to finally put some faces on the Source handles.

For anyone who went, I was the kid in the white hat who wasn't troopatroop.

TheDragonsLair
02-25-2007, 09:28 PM
We had 36 people. the winner was Eric with old school landstill. There was a lot of goblins and black control.
Thank you to everyone that showed up and keep a look out for next months tournament for 4x Volcanic Islands. I apologize for the lack of tables, we have 2 more, but they were not in the store.

insertnamehere
02-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I do not know the outcome because I had left to bring Lego and his friend to the bus terminal. Their were alot of random decks there today that made top 8. There were a total of 32 prople in attendance (a record for any tourney there) with 5 rounds, 2 people with 3-1-1 made the cut to top 8. the rest consisted of (1) 5-0 and (2) 4-0-1 and (3) 3-0-2 I think. There were atleast 8 other people hanging around, I do not know if they were late or just there to catch what could be the best Tournament store in Western MA.

Kudos to Kevin for running yet another top knotch tourney and to all of the newcomers that showed up.

As far as what I saw for decks I think I saw the following:
3 Goblin Decks (1 Kid mirror matched twice in Goblins)
2 or 3 Solidarity Decks
Tons of Fish versions UW and UB, including large amounts of Angel Stompy
Gro
1 Atog deck
1 Cleric Deck

I will try to get a better list next time I am at the store. Hope to see everyone in Stratford.

Jaynel
02-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Will you put up decklists later?

TheDragonsLair
02-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Top 8 included
3x goblin
1x landstill
1x iggy-pop
1x black/blue/white
1x mono black control
1x red/blue/black

I will not post deck lists of the exact decks played, it is up to the players to do it.

niknight
02-25-2007, 09:53 PM
The top 8 matchups were:

Top 8
Goblin mirror match (apologies that I don't know names)
Landstill (Eric) beat B/W Pox (Josh Race)
Iggy Pop (me) beat Goblins (Adam)
Burning Tog (who else but PR) beat UWB Fish (scrumdogg)

Top 4
Landstill beat Iggy
Goblins beat Burning Tog

Finals
Landstill beat Goblins

Peter_Rotten
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Burning Tog takes 3rd. Roar. That is all.

Lego
02-26-2007, 01:00 AM

Gratzz P_R :smile: What'd you end up taking home?

Are you going to give us a sweet Burning Tog primer sometime?

Afro
02-26-2007, 04:04 AM

Jesus christ. How did Norm do?

Braves54321
02-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Jesus christ. How did Norm do?

3-2

Yeah I suck.

VsTheWorld
02-26-2007, 10:06 AM
Kudos to Kevin for running yet another top knotch tourney and to all of the newcomers that showed up.

As one of those newcomers, I was pleased with my performance. 3-2 with Faerie Stompy in my first ever Legacy tournament. Both of my losses came to players that made T8 (Rich with R/G Goblins and Josh with B/W Pox), with them having some utterly ridiculous Game 2's. Game 2 against Josh went like this: I play City of Traitors, he Wastes it, I play City, he Wastes it, I play Ancient Tomb, more LD, you get the picture. I don't think I ever made it past one land. And in my two games with Rich, he got 5 Piledrivers. Ouch.

Edit: Oh and thanks to Lego_Army_Man for lending me the CoT's and Chrome Mox I needed.

Nightmare
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Scrumm, what Fish build did you run? The good list, or Hannifish?

Angel of Despair
02-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I went 3-2 too. I lost against Troopatroop round one, and P_R last round, where he beat me outta top 8 :(

Lego
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
I went 3-2 too. I lost against Troopatroop round one, and P_R last round, where he beat me outta top 8 :(

Don't lieeeee, you went 2-2-1. Your end results just don't happen to reflect this, because I scooped to you for no reason other than being a nice guy after we drew our match. Which I would have won, because you were making incredibly horrible play mistakes over and over again. Good times though, it was certainly a fun day overall :) You could have at least had the decency to Top 8 after I gave you the win :wink:

He was running Wub with True Believer and Meddling Mage and Jotun Grunt and Dark Confidant. Swords and Vindicate, Extirpate in the board. I don't think I saw any counters or discard, but that doesn't mean he wasn't running it. I beat him with Solidarity in 3, but all three games were close.

Peter_Rotten
02-26-2007, 05:09 PM
Don't lieeeee, you went 2-2-1. Your end results just don't happen to reflect this, because I scooped to you for no reason other than being a nice guy after we drew our match. Which I would have won, because you were making incredibly horrible play mistakes over and over again. Good times though, it was certainly a fun day overall :) You could have at least had the decency to Top 8 after I gave you the win :wink:

True, you "gave" away the win, but if you hadn't then you'd probably have to face me in the final round. And the only way you would win that game is through the same method that you win most of your matches - by calling the judge for some randomly shady reason.

"Pass the turn...?" (sorta a question, but not really) Shay-D.

ForceofWill
02-26-2007, 05:12 PM
Oh that was you. Like 12 people called you an asshole.

Angel of Despair
02-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Yea, I forgot the Grunt a couple of times, but at least I play nice. I am new to the grunt and I was nervous. gimme a damned break. I take back what I said about you being a good asset to our team. You cheated when you were playing against Nate at the last big tournament there, and you call the judge like your getting paid for it. Id rather make play mistakes than be a cheater!:mad:

scrumdogg
02-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Neither :) I played Woosta Wizardfish, which has a different focus (although our build, still evolving over a year of development & play, is closer to the EPIC approach). Made Top 8 at 3-0-2 (2 unintentional draws....dammit, had both players but ran out of time in Games 3....) after Lego scooped to me in Round 5 (he was out of Top 8 contention, it was a gracious gesture, especially after the rancorous way our match began). We played it out for testing until he had to leave for the train. He won in 3 tight games, although to be fair I NEVER saw a Vial any of the 3 games, & I mulled game 1. Top 8 saw the Battle of the Geriatric, me vs P_R, which had the bonus of advancing one old man. Sigh, I must admit, I did NOT test for, prepare for, or expect Burning Tog....he took it in 3, with me having him down to 2 Game 1 but not being able to finish him. Of course, only drawing 4 creatures out of my 26 in 40-leven turns was not helpful.....but gratz on Top 4 with Burning Tog in a 36 person tournament. Hope that Burning Tog (and hence Albany) doesn't get pussywhipped out of the Mana Leak 2 :cool: My son (who got me into this damn game, lo many years ago) went undefeated into Top 8 & lost to the tournament winner. All in all a great time, with great trading.

troopatroop
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Yea, I forgot the Grunt a couple of times, but at least I play nice. I am new to the grunt and I was nervous. gimme a damned break. I take back what I said about you being a good asset to our team. You cheated when you were playing against Nate at the last big tournament there, and you call the judge like your getting paid for it. Id rather make play mistakes than be a cheater!:mad:

I'm very sure that he didn't actually want to dick you out of the game, he even gave it away, most people were just shocked to see how easily he got you to break the rules without knowing it! He never meant it maliciously, at least I dont think.

Peter_Rotten
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm very sure that he didn't actually want to dick you out of the game, he even gave it away, most people were just shocked to see how easily he got you to break the rules without knowing it! He never meant it maliciously, at least I dont think.

Bah. And BTW, never make another post. Having a post count of 911 is much cooler than any other stupid number like 69 or 420.

Lego
02-26-2007, 09:31 PM
"Pass the turn...?" (sorta a question, but not really) Shay-D.

Agreed, which is a lot of the reason I gave her the win. I called the judge because I was really surprised and I just did it quickly. I felt like it was a jerk move though, so I scooped to her. I don't feel like calling the judge when your opponent is repeatedly insulting you and you ask them to stop is a shady thing to do though. I seriously asked him nicely to stop :frown: He was really nice afterwards though, and seems like a pretty nice guy *shrug* Stuff happens.

You cheated when you were playing against Nate at the last big tournament there, and you call the judge like your getting paid for it. Id rather make play mistakes than be a cheater!:mad:

WTF? I cheated versus Nate when? That's an incredibly random accusation to make. The only time I even recall ever playing him was Angel Stompy versus his Confinement thing. I lost that like a man :tongue:

This is true, I was incredibly shocked that she drew a card, and called the judge immediately. Upon thinking about it, I didn't want to win the game that way, and I could tell she obviously wasn't paying attention much at all, so I gave her the match.

Cait_Sith
02-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Guys, we all need to calm down. If there is any going ons that are even slightly suspect it is considered the responsibility of the players and/or bystanders to call a judge to sort it out. Now, no one got DQ'd, no one got Ban'd for life.

Also, Lego described the whole Scrumm situation with me and I think he got off easy. IBA got ban'd for life for falling over a table at someone so various angry words wit a warning is okay.

Angel: Lego scooped right after because he felt bad, I would have dragged it out and tried to win in every way possible. So be glad he is short, otherwise he'd be more aggressive. Honestly though, I can see the confusion. It is hard to play against someone who needs a booster seat to see above the table. His uber-shortness must be very distracting.

Lego
02-26-2007, 11:30 PM
IBA got ban'd for life for falling over a table at someone so various angry words wit a warning is okay.

Actually, he got banned for like two years. That's right, he'll be back.

Bane of the Living
02-28-2007, 07:33 PM
Angel: Lego scooped right after because he felt bad, I would have dragged it out and tried to win in every way possible. So be glad he is short, otherwise he'd be more aggressive. Honestly though, I can see the confusion. It is hard to play against someone who needs a booster seat to see above the table. His uber-shortness must be very distracting.

After the judge, Kevin, laughed off the scheme to steal the match, Evan begged Jessi for the win. I think PR chimmed in around that point and told him he should give away the win for being a douche. He's begged me for the win before too. Shameless. Lets drop this now.

Lego
02-28-2007, 09:58 PM
After the judge, Kevin, laughed off the scheme to steal the match, Evan begged Jessi for the win. I think PR chimmed in around that point and told him he should give away the win for being a douche. He's begged me for the win before too. Shameless. Lets drop this now.

Begged for the win? Hardly. The judge did not laugh anything off, he gave Jessi a warning. Afterwards, I asked Jessi if she would concede to me beause a draw would probably put both of us out of T8 contention, and my deck had a better shot than hers. We talked about it for a while, she whined a bunch, and I conceded to her. P_R recommended I give her the win because she's a girl. No joke. I don't appreciate this type of slander Nate. How about this: if you're going to blatantly make stuff up, make it up about someone else. I've played a single match against you ever, and it's clear that if I even asked for the win (which I'm not sure happened) it was in jest. That matchup was like 90/10 in your favor. You're pathetic.

ForceofWill
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
I saw you for the first time ever at that tourny. And boy was it funny listening to people around me talk about you.

Angel of Despair
02-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Begged for the win? Hardly. The judge did not laugh anything off, he gave Jessi a warning. Afterwards, I asked Jessi if she would concede to me beause a draw would probably put both of us out of T8 contention, and my deck had a better shot than hers. We talked about it for a while, she whined a bunch, and I conceded to her. P_R recommended I give her the win because she's a girl. No joke. I don't appreciate this type of slander Nate. How about this: if you're going to blatantly make stuff up, make it up about someone else. I've played a single match against you ever, and it's clear that if I even asked for the win (which I'm not sure happened) it was in jest. That matchup was like 90/10 in your favor. You're pathetic.

How about THIS. STFU! Don't ever call him pathetic again. Why don't you stop with the whole Napoleon complex, and get over yourself. If I were a mod I would ban you and lock this thread. If you want to harrass us and be a dick, do it in a PM! Or better yet, you could just stop. Things didn't have to get to this point. As far as I am concerned you wanted the win as bad as I did and we went back and forth about it. Finally you gave it to me because P_R asked you to. This really needs to stop here. I am sorry I called you a cheater, but this needs to end.

Di
02-28-2007, 10:52 PM
How about THIS. STFU! Don't ever call him pathetic again. Why don't you stop with the whole Napoleon complex, and get over yourself. If I were a mod I would ban you and lock this thread. If you want to harrass us and be a dick, do it in a PM! Or better yet, you could just stop. Things didn't have to get to this point. As far as I am concerned you wanted the win as bad as I did and we went back and forth about it. Finally you gave it to me because P_R asked you to. This really needs to stop here. I am sorry I called you a cheater, but this needs to end.

Fortunately, you aren't a mod. We can't have personal bitchfest getting in the way rational thinking.

You kids and your whining and complaining. You know what, you both suck. Lego calls the judge for everything, and Angel of Despair cheated against me in Kadi's D4d (maindeck Naturalize my ass). There, it's done. Closed.