PDA

View Full Version : Kick ass plays!!

Bane of the Living
01-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I know we have MWS threads to amuse us but this one is specifically for awsome plays. You know, those super memorable game winning moments that make a crowd around you geek out. Do you have any stories to tell about bad opponents and play errors that cost the game? Heres a couple to get us going.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks ago I was playing against Belcher in the semi finals with a red green white loam confinement deck. I have 3 untapped mana and its his turn. He combos out a belcher and fires it off at me. Revealing cards since he still has land in the deck. He stops at just about enough to get lethal. I respond by cycling a Tranquil Thicket, I draw a Forgotten Cave, cycle again, not really expecting to have an answer to this mind you, and draw a Crop Rotation off the top. I cast it and rip Glacial Chasm into play. The damage is prevented, I untap and cast Confinement ftw. Wow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

In another casual game my girlfriend Jessi is playing 4color Thresh against our buddy Pete playing Reanimator. He sideboards his secret tech of Show and Tell to be a step ahead of sideboarded graveyard hate. He casts it and Jessi lets it resolve rather than Forcing it. He drops Akroma onto the table.. She drops Isochron Scepter and imprints Swords to Plowshares! What an awsome Show and Tell.

Give me more!

MasterBlaster
01-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I'll share some stories of when I sucked(I started in Mirrodin).

My opponent played a Nevinyrral's disk. I kept playing creatures.

I played a crappy creature. My opponent tried to Counterspell it. I responded by trying to equip my unresolved creature with a Whispersilk Cloak.

Wow, I was horrible.

Cait_Sith
01-22-2007, 08:10 PM
Here is a funny one from the Planar Chaos Prerelease:

My friend had a Detainment Spell attached to his opponent's Serendib Sorcerer, his opponent played Skukling Knight and began a beatdown. My friend's opponent then SAYS that it is a good thing my friend doesn't see this play: Use Detainment Spell's ability to attach it to Skulking Knight, destroying them both. My friend, desperate for time, does said play. I interject that that is not how it would work out and have them call a judge. The judge agrees with me. My friend went on to win the game and the match. For those confused:

His opponent though:
Activate the ability to attach Detainment Spell to target creature.
Ability resolves.
Skukling Knight's ability triggers.
Ability resolves.
Skukling Knight is put into the graveyard along with Detainment Spell.

What happens:
Skulking Knight's ability resolves.
Skulking Knight is put into the graveyard.
Detainment Spell's ability is countered for lack of a target.

Yes, an opponent being a rude dumbass with a big mouth is a sure fire way to victory.

Dr. Teeth
01-22-2007, 08:18 PM
ok i'm playing against solidarity, its my turn, i play my 4th land and say go, he impulses at my endstep i respond with FoF he tryes to force it and i misdirect his force to his impulse countering them both, and my FoF resolves. lol

The Rack
01-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm playing mono green jank sauce. He drops lackey. I drop Forest. He swings with lackey. I Crop Rotate a Quicksand into play. Tap Quicksand and smile the most I ever have while playing ,magic. That was the hotness!!

Kadaj
01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
Playing the MUC mirror, my opponent Facts at the end of turn, I fact in response, misdirecting his force onto his own fact and facting into a 4 for 1.

Yes, I did go onto win that game :P

Jak
01-22-2007, 10:25 PM
When I first started playing I had a crappy zombie deck with 1 sword of fire and ice and 1 final punishment plus some zombies of course. My friend was playing a jank creature deck with an eater of days out, tapped. He was at 20 and I was at like 8 or something. I have 3 severed legions out and a sword of fire and ice out, equipped. I topdeck the only final punishment and attack for 10 and deal another 10. The most fun game I have ever played.

clavio
01-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Back when I sucked I dark ritualed in a 3rd turn phage vs. a good mbc deck. It was awesome.

mikekelley
01-22-2007, 11:48 PM
With about ten minutes left in the round, myself at one and my opponent at 4, playing faerie stompy. it's 1-0 him, and i am on the verge of kissing any chance into the t8 goodbye. on my last turn I topdeck a psionic blast. I blast him, the game is a draw. I go on to win the next game and am seeded 8th.

More luck, but still. It was cool. I don't think he expected it.

I recently Momentary Blinked a Weathered Bodyguards in a draft FTW. Blinking face-down morphs is tech.

kicks_422
01-23-2007, 12:32 AM
I'm playing my Dryad Sligh against Reanimator, I have a 5/5 Quirion Dryad while he has an Akroma. I attack with my Dryad, and he says "block that" in a very arrogant way. I respond by flinging 1 Lightning Bolt and I Magma Jet at him, making my Dryad 7/7. I thought Akroma was going to bite the dust, but he casted Funeral Charm to make my Dryad 5/6. I respond by slinging Fireblast at his face, making my Dryad 6/7.

I'll never forget the day I clipped Akroma's wings with my Dryad Sligh... :tongue:

The Rack
01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
I'm playing my Dryad Sligh against Reanimator, I have a 5/5 Quirion Dryad while he has an Akroma. I attack with my Dryad, and he says "block that" in a very arrogant way. I respond by flinging 1 Lightning Bolt and I Magma Jet at him, making my Dryad 7/7. I thought Akroma was going to bite the dust, but he casted Funeral Charm to make my Dryad 5/6. I respond by slinging Fireblast at his face, making my Dryad 6/7.

I'll never forget the day I clipped Akroma's wings with my Dryad Sligh... :tongue:

Funeral Charm would make it a 9/6 good story though.

Reagens
01-23-2007, 05:24 AM
This happened to me in my last tournament
I play solidarity. I have 3 lands in play. He has some mono black deck. He plays a duress.
My hand is :
1 reset, 1 meditate, 1 high tide, 1 brain freeze, 1 island and 2 other good spells except for counters. He chooses brain freeze and I kill him next turn.

Second game he has 4 mana. He plays some annoying creature for 2 mana and I am considering remanding it because I don't really have relevant cards in hand. Without pausing he taps another 2 mana to play hymn to tourach. Given the choice I remand and win next turn in response to his hymn.

I eventually proceeded to win that tournament.

kicks_422
01-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Funeral Charm would make it a 9/6 good story though.

Oh yeah, sorry about that, but Dryad would still have died from first striking Akroma if I didn't cast Fireblast.

The dude couldn't believe Akroma died to a Sligh deck, LOL...

Dr. Teeth
01-23-2007, 04:39 PM
Playing the MUC mirror, my opponent Facts at the end of turn, I fact in response, misdirecting his force onto his own fact and facting into a 4 for 1.

Yes, I did go onto win that game :P

wow, thats almost exactly what i said, heh
misdirection is so good

Aggro_zombies
01-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Here is a funny one from the Planar Chaos Prerelease:

My friend had a Detainment Spell attached to his opponent's Serendib Sorcerer, his opponent played Skukling Knight and began a beatdown. My friend's opponent then SAYS that it is a good thing my friend doesn't see this play: Use Detainment Spell's ability to attach it to Skulking Knight, destroying them both. My friend, desperate for time, does said play. I interject that that is not how it would work out and have them call a judge. The judge agrees with me. My friend went on to win the game and the match. For those confused:

His opponent though:
Ability resolves.
Ability resolves.
Skukling Knight is put into the graveyard along with Detainment Spell.

What happens:
Skulking Knight's ability resolves.
Skulking Knight is put into the graveyard.
Detainment Spell's ability is countered for lack of a target.

Yes, an opponent being a rude dumbass with a big mouth is a sure fire way to victory.
I had an opponent at the PR who had Vorosh the Hunter in play, among other things. He attacks for the first time with Vorosh and I declare no blocks (no untapped fliers... T__T). In response, he casts Erratic Mutation, flipping a card with cmc 2...so I Psi Blast his 8/4 flying, counter-guzzling Dragon in response.

I <3 Erratic Mutation.

Goblin Snowman
01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Turns one I drop out Mox+Factory for a Chalice at one. Turn two is a Tomb for a Chalice at two. Turn three is a City for the third Chalice. This was against Solidarity. Man that card's broken.

Tao
01-23-2007, 05:24 PM
In a Highlander tourney I played with my MBC deck against my friend's 5c-Control. Before the tourney we were building our decks together and the last addition to his deck was "Mindslaver". During the game we talked and he complains that he has never drawn that Mindslaver in the whole tourney. Then I draw my "Yawgmoth Bargain", he cannot counter it and because I am on 20+ life I will win next turn. The next turn he draws a card, flips it - Mindslaver. He had exactly 10 Mana so I learned that Mindslaver > Bargain.

Complete_Jank
01-23-2007, 05:43 PM
I have my opponent at 1 with no cards in hand and Cursed Scroll on the table.

I draw a card and activate scroll naming Lightning Bolt. and my opponent scoops. I show him the mountain, then point out 4 Lightning Bolts in my graveyard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was playing a 5c Lifeline deck against a U/B Wizard Control deck.

I had resolved an early Lifeline and an early Academy Rector.

I finally draw one of my Diamond Valleys. I play Reincarnation on my Rector, and he notes that I have no creatures in graveyard, only a fetchland so he lets it resolve. I play Diamond Valley and sac rector to it. He has no problem and then says rector comes back into play. I tell him it triggers and goes on the stack, but I am removing it to put an enchantment into play. I put Zombie Infestation into play, and discard Symbiatic Worm and another card. I return Symbiatic Worm. He askes to go back, because he wants to counter my Reincarnation. He says he would never have let it resolve if he knew that would happen. I tell him it was actually designed into the deck to get around control decks. I draw another Diamond Valley and end up running him over with hundreds of tokens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Star City's Duel for Duals I was playing Welder Survival.

I had AEther Vial at one, and my opponent attacks with Mogg Fanatic. He starts to change the life totals on his tablet of paper, before even seeing if I am going to do anything. I say wait, and tap Vial and put Goblin Welder in play. He sacrifices Fanatic and declares shooting me for one. I say ok. He says go, then asks why my welder is still in play. I remind him that as soon as I declared the block he shot me. We never got to damage on the stack. I hate playing like that, but in a large tourney you can't make mistakes.

Lanfeng
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I have my opponent at 1 with no cards in hand and Cursed Scroll on the table.

I draw a card and activate scroll naming Lightning Bolt. and my opponent scoops. I show him the mountain, then point out 4 Lightning Bolts in my graveyard.

woulda been a better story if your opponent was at 5.

Rastadon
01-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Unhinged Prerelease. Sealed Draft. A guy makes B/W/R deck with Ass Whuppin' and Booster Tutor. In the second round he's got Ass Whuppin' in hand and he casts Booster Tutor, and opens up a Torment Booster and gets Radiate. He casts Ass Whuppin', then Radiate. Card advantage has never been so devastating.

SpatulaOfTheAges
01-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Unhinged Prerelease. Sealed Draft. A guy makes B/W/R deck with Ass Whuppin' and Booster Tutor. In the second round he's got Ass Whuppin' in hand and he casts Booster Tutor, and opens up a Torment Booster and gets Radiate. He casts Ass Whuppin', then Radiate. Card advantage has never been so devastating.

Everybody shut the fuck up.

I declare this mystery man the king of this thread and everything.

Nightmare
01-24-2007, 08:37 AM
Everybody shut the fuck up.

I declare this mystery man the king of this thread and everything.Concur.