PDA

View Full Version : BIG play mistakes

BeeblesofLife
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Ok, so here is the dig.
The purpose of this thread is telling everyone of BIG play mistakes that you yourself have made. No, you cant flame someone for telling everyone else of their BIG play mistake. This is intended to SHOW everyone else what not to do and to learn from it so no else makes that play mistake. (It can be from any format)

For example I have a BIG play mistake that I have made...
It was a type 1 tournament here is Lynnwood, Washington.

I get an opening hand of Lotus, 3 Rootmazes, a Forest and a Rogue Elephant.
Ok, so there are several thing wrong with this picture...One would be taking 13 land stompy to a type 1 tournament but thats besides the point. See this would an example of a classic mull. Because I was stupid and thought, " Hey this is freakin cool he has to counter at least two of them and won't see the last one coming. The plan horribly backfired on me and he let all of them resolve and then counter my elephant.
Now looking back on this...It was so fucktardedly stupid of me to keep a hand like that let alone casting 3 rootmazes in one turn.
See, stupid funny and we all learn from it.
If I could get the moderators and those who know what they are doing to provide some input. Specificaly, When to crack fetche lands, knowing what to counter and when...Simple stuff like that..

Thx much.

Enjoy!!!

Whit3 Ghost
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
I'm 1-1, I need to win this game to stay alive. This is at the 2nd running DLD.

I'm playing Getsickanddie(RG Beatz) with UGR Gro.

I had Bear, Goose, Dragon and FTK on the board with 5-6 cards in my yard. He had 2 cards in his grip with a Wild Mongrel and 2 BOP's on the board, one with double rancor.

He swings, it would have put me at either 2-4. He berzerks, I fow, the one card left in my grip. He drops Price of Progress, and I lose.

Now, I should have blocked, gotten threshold and won. The details are incredibly sketchy, but going on what I remember I DEFINATELY should have blocked.

Distortion
02-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Two rounds before the cut to finals at the first SCG Chicago, I was up against a member of the team I had tested with (GWS). I was playing CS, he was playing 5/3. He opens with Welder; I open with Mox, land turn 1 and a land turn two. In my infinite brilliance, I tap all of my mana and play tinker for pentavus--thinking that I would be safe even if he welded it out. Needless to say, that was an overcosted entomb.

kicks_422
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I had a 4/4 Slith Firewalker in play, while my opponent had a Wall of Blossoms. I play Bolt and activate Grim Lavamancer to kill the Wall, he plays Giant Growth in response. I burn it with Chain Lightning, and attack with Slith. Next turn, he topdecks a Ravenous Baloth, recurs it the next few turns with Eternal Witness shenanigans, and goes on to win.

The big play mistake? He was down to 8 when I started blasting that damn Wall.

Sam_Best
02-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Here is the most stupid thing I can think of. I played in a Urza's Legacy tournament where we each were given 4 of every Urza's Legacy common and we had to make a deck out of those cards. I made a black red deck with unearths in it and I didn't realize that unearth puts the creature back into play

MasterBlaster
02-04-2007, 01:20 AM
I played creatures when my opponent had an untapped Nevinyrral's Disk on the table.

Do I win?

BeeblesofLife
02-04-2007, 01:54 AM
I played creatures when my opponent had an untapped Nevinyrral's Disk on the table.

Do I win?

Ummm...At first glance...No, I dont think that would be winnable. But I can only say that from just hearing a very small, minute information on the game set up.
Moral of this story, in my opinion, Would be to play some of the creatures in your hand. Then bait out the disk, then play more threats during second mainphaise after you have attacked.

This thread was designed to eliminate play mistakes by getting people thinking about what they are doing while they are playing. I would be very pleased if people would provide a little more information. This is a good start though.
Thank you for everyones input and particapation so far!

barron
02-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Ok so this one just happened tonight and it is definitely one of the bumber things I have done in my time. I was playing solidarity and my opponent was playing a green aggro deck (almost stompy). I had two islands and a flooded strand in play, and I had a brainstorm and remand in my hand. He played a beater of a spell (can't remember what it was anymore, but it was damaging). To solidify my win I decided to cast the brainstorm, then break the strand, then remand it back to his hand. So....while i am talking to the ownder of the store....I cast the brainstorm, break the strand, bring out the island and shuffle my deck, then I look to remand the spell and realize that I SHUFFLED IT BACK WITH THE BRAINSTORM!!!! still manaed to pull of the win, but almost cost me the game.

Tacosnape
02-04-2007, 02:17 AM
I cracked a fetchland at 1.

I win.

BeeblesofLife
02-04-2007, 02:18 AM
Well, I guess the thing would be to not talk while in a game(One of my biggest pet pieves BTW). This Is something I have always hated my opponents for doing. One example of this would be a real chatty person is standing behind me,
looking over my deck and being a general pain in my ass. The stupid wise ass speaks up after looking at my hand and Freakin tells my opponent some of the cards in my hand. WTF!?! Do these people not have the common sence to keep their mouths shut and not ruin a game?

Ookami
02-04-2007, 04:01 AM
Similar to Tacoscape. I was playing a control deck. I'm at 1, my opponent plays a bolt. Now, I have 2 untapped islands, and in my hand a counterspell and a force. So of course, I remove the counterspell to force the bolt.

dahcmai
02-04-2007, 04:17 AM
You can't really call it a mistake, but man was it funny.

I am playing Type 1 a long time ago with a very nasty Necrodeck that won by playing Mirror and dropping to 0. (I said it was a while back) It could pull off turn 2 wins pretty easily.

I have the combo pieces in hand. Necro, mox jet, Time Walk, Mirror, Consult, and 2 rituals. Simple. All I need is a Lotus to dump it all and go turn 2. Consult for Lotus.

Top card = Lotus. well, that was quick....

Next game, virtually same hand, exactly same result. wtf?

My friend I was playing still laughs about it to this day. It was the finals of course.

This should be considered a mistake. I lent out 4 Shaharzads to a friend. We were going to terrorize the entire tournament for laughs. I own 4 more and played them myself. Of course, who was paired first? Yup, should have known that was coming.

The biggest play mistake ever has to go to this one. Playing against Pat Chapin of all people, I should know his dirty tricks. He plays some odd life gain White green deck of crap. He drops Sylvan Library, plays a ton of Gerrard's Wisdoms, Abundances, and similar junk. He continues to sit there and gain a ton of life. He's up to something like 400 or so life with no infinite combo.

I am playing a Zoo deck. Odds are I'm not bringing that down anytime soon. Pat being the tard he is keeps nagging me every single phase. (notice I said phase) "Do you wish to concede?" After a few agonizing rounds of listening to him I decide to call it and concede. He laughs and shows me he had no win condition. Ass... lol

Pinder
02-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Oh, do I have some stories for you. :laugh:

I'm at my local Friday Legacy tourney, fourth round paired against none other than BeeblesofLife. I'm playing FEB, and he's playing something with blue in it. He's at 1, and alpha strikes for not lethal (I would have gone down to 2 or something), and for some reason I decide that it's in my best interest to chump block with a BoP rather than just taking the damage and winning next turn (I had a 4 power something on top of my yard for Volrath's Shapeshifter). I then realize that my Shapeshifter is now a 0/1 that can't swing for lethal on my turn.

You'd think this is the mistake, but no. It gets better.

During my turn, I rip Eternal Witness off the top, and rejoice. I concoct this convoluted scheme to play the Witness, bounce a Phyrexian Dreadnought, play the Dreadnought, let it die, and swing for 12 in a glorious victory. It was going to be so cool. So I play the Witness, and to my dismay he counters it. My heart sinking, I scoop up my cards and concede...not realizing that Beebles just put a 2/1 on top of my yard! So, to recoup, instead of winning, I decided to not win. For you new players out there, this is typically a bad decision.

Also, during 5th Dawn Sealed:

It's late game and I'm losing pretty horribly due to a string of bad draws, and the only two nonland permanents I have left are an Ensouled Scimitar and Bonesplitter. The game is pretty close (he's at 4 and I'm at less than that), and I rip Grab the Reins off the top. I realize that if I steal his Spikeshot Goblin, equip it with both of my equipment, and tap it, then I can deal just enough damage to seal the game (and I had more than enough lands to do that at this point, as I had been drawing them forever). So I play GtR, steal his goblin, equip it twice, and tap it, proudly proclaiming myself t3h winnar.

That is, until he reminds me that his Goblin was already tapped. No matter, I assure him, because Grab the Reins untaps when it steals a creature. He tells me it doesn't. Then I RTFC. He's right. At end of turn, I give back his goblin with my only two nonland permanents still attached to it.

I was probably going to lose that game anyway, but I was just so proud *sniff*.

L3X
02-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I was playing TPS in T1, I played a fetch and cracked it for the last Underground Sea. Problem is: that last Sea was in my hand. Nice way to lose games :X

Kadaj
02-04-2007, 10:38 AM
I'm playing Bob Bomberman in Type 1 against Drain Tendrils. I have a Jotun Grunt on the board that is about to lethal. Problem? I forgot to pay the upkeep, and my opponent promptly comboed me out on the following turn through a double FoW.

Gotta love it.

swishandamiss
02-04-2007, 12:02 PM
It is T2 champs 2006 in minnesota top4. here is some backround info:
i am playing UR Tron against ghaziglare, it is game 4 (i purposely d rew g2 with sulfurous blast, because i couldn't win) He has 6 land, included in those were 1 ghazi glare, and a pendelhaven. I am at 7 and have been serrated arrows him every turn and in my hand, 2 demonfire, 1 repeal, and some other goodies, but i have no tron. He has a stonewood invocation in his deck, and i got beat g1 that way and i forgot about it (stupid me). So just like veryother turn eot he makes a token, i let it live and don't kill it at eot. He attacks i try to kill it, and he pendelhavens it, (now take in mind i have been playing for 12 hours straight with little food and rest, since almost every game went to time. (like all control matchups). THen i like pendelhaven resolve and he stonewoods. Next turn i would have drawn tron and been able to demonfire for 10 and repeal his token and then demonfire for 10 again the next turn. :( So i should have at least got 2nd and i took 3rd instead). Oh yeah i had played 2 wildfires early on and had discarded another.

Slay
02-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Yesterday I spectacularly failed to play Akroma in my hand with him at 7 life and a stable board position. He killed me the next turn.

http://www.tdtffc.com/misc/slay.gif

clavio
02-04-2007, 12:53 PM
I have lost many games (at least 3) because I forget to scroll during my upkeep. Whenever I play now, even if it doesn't matter, I stop and think during my upkeep before I draw.

iOWN
02-04-2007, 01:43 PM
At a triple PC draft, single elim, Game 2 against an RG Aggro deck after losing the first game due to mana flood. He had a Molten Firebird, Uktabi Drake, and Mire Boa which is utopia vowed. He's at 15 and I'm still pretty high. I have a Vorosh, the Hunter and a 5/5 Kavu Predator out, with the only card in my hand a Healing Leaves.

I swing with both my creatures, and he double blocks the Dragon and brute forces his Firebird up to a 5/5. I should have RTFC... didn't remember that Healing Salve also PREVENTS 3 damage, so instead of saving my Vorosh, I make him gain three life to pump Kavu to an 8/8 and get him down to 10. Since Firebird would keep skipping his draw step if he chumped, he would be forced to remove it and most likely lose, but since now all I had was the Kavu, he had a chance. Next turn he hits me for two, I swing for 8, and following that, at 2 life, he topdecks a Dead/Gone. I lose. He ends up drawing a creature, I swing to trade, and draw lands for the rest of the game.

Lego
02-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I'm playing Affinity at regionals a couple years back. One game I'm playing against Tooth & Nail. I play maindeck Shatter, and I use two of them to hit two of his Talismans to slow him down. I get him down to 1 life, and he wins the next turn. There was a Disciple in play both times I Shattered his Talismans, and I failed to notice both times.

Later on in that same tournament, I'm playing the mirror match. We're pretty much alpha striking every turn, racing the shit out of each other. I'm at like 3, he's got a Thopter on the board that can swing for lethal the next turn, and I've got no way to block it. I proceed to Alpha strike, and one by one sac everything to Ravager, triggering Disciple, doing exactly enough damage to kill him. Except he's got a Disciple in play as well. This play mistake actually goes to him though, because he scooped up his cards, and I pointed to his Disciple. He called a judge, but I got the win.

Di
02-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Yea...I missed day 2 at GP: Philly because I had Hull breach and Stifle in hand and didn't do anything about it.

mogote
02-04-2007, 05:17 PM
In Vintage: I Brainstorm with a fetchland on the table and put Ancestral Recall on top of my library with the intention of drawing it the next turn. Then for some reason I cracked the fetchland because that's what you'll always do after a Brainstorm, right? Luckily I still won.

Another interesting match occurence was me playing Spring Tide, building up a huge storm and drawing cards until all I have is 1 Brainstorm. I play it and contemplate about what to do but there's no way I could win anymore. Then my opponent just concedes the game.

mikekelley
02-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Playing Faerie Stompy in a tournament, I have a City of Traitors, Ancient Tomb and an Island in play. I have not played a land yet this turn.

I play a sea drake, and bounce everything back to my hand except for the city.

Great move, dumbass. I still won, but I saw what I did and felt like a major dumbass.

Getsickanddie
02-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm 1-1, I need to win this game to stay alive. This is at the 2nd running DLD.

I'm playing Getsickanddie(RG Beatz) with UGR Gro.

I had Bear, Goose, Dragon and FTK on the board with 5-6 cards in my yard. He had 2 cards in his grip with a Wild Mongrel and 2 BOP's on the board, one with double rancor.

He swings, it would have put me at either 2-4. He berzerks, I fow, the one card left in my grip. He drops Price of Progress, and I lose.

Now, I should have blocked, gotten threshold and won. The details are incredibly sketchy, but going on what I remember I DEFINATELY should have blocked.

Yeah that was pretty fucking awesome. The best part though, is how that was the second time I lucked into berserking you out during a big event.

Whit3 Ghost
02-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I figured out what I did wrong about 3 days later.

The worst feeling in magic:
Thinking you've stabilized, then losing to something you never saw coming.

Bryant Cook
02-05-2007, 03:34 PM
The worse feeling in magic is conceeding to your own Tendrils.

Complete_Jank
02-05-2007, 03:53 PM
This past Saturday at the PTQ,
Game one against Gifts Rock
I had Nantuko Shade and I attacked, and my opponent blocked. I should have allowed my Shade to die so I could get Threshold and use a Cabal Pit on his Mettling Mage naming Vindicate. The one turn made the difference, as I had to play another spell to get Threshold before I could Vindicate one turn later. I could have killed a Jitte before it ever was able to be used.

Must remember to allow my Shades to die more often that is the correct play. :confused: I attacked knowing I wanted it to die, but could not stop myself from saving it.

Game two against Gifts Rock
I duress 1st turn and take Jitte, and write down 2 elves, 1 bird and 3 land. He plays a land and plays bird. I draw play land and chrome mox and drop Engineered Plague and name Bird. I say go, and immediately ask myself out loud why the fuck I just did that. I now have to use 2 removal for the other two elves instead, and thus only go one for one, not 2 for one and end up not having the one kill card I needed late game to win.

I couldn't stop myself from killing the critter already on table, as that is often how it is played. I wonder how much only getting 3 hours of sleep the night before had a factor.

The loss in that round kept me out of the top 8, and were my only absolute mistakes of the day. I could have probably won the round if I had only made one of those mistakes, and not both of them.

Getsickanddie
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM

LOL......I remember hearing about that, I'm glad I wasn't there to see it though....

I have a bad habit of letting things resolve that I should counter, because I just seem to say "it resolves" before thinking about it at all. It's a pavlovian response that I think has something to do with playing straight aggro for two years before getting back into aggro-control/control.

C.P.
02-05-2007, 06:13 PM
In a local legacy mox tourney, I played against U/G madness with Sui Black.

I had a Jitte out, with 2 counters, and he has nothing but a Basking Rootwalla. I removed a counter to kill the Walla. He pumps. I was going to remove another one in response, but I realized that he had another 1G open for another +2/+2
So I thought I made a play mistake and I waited for another turn so I get 3 counters. Well, I somehow won the game two turns later.

It was after the way to home(I somehow top 8ed) that my fellow player who was watching the game told me that you cannot pump the Walla more than once a turn. ......OTL...on_...orz

EDIT: Oh, I forgot another good one.

In a Extended tourney for mox, I played a Boros Deck and went 4-0. I just picked the deck up in the morning, and I wasn't planning to participate in the tourney, so I was really tired. and on my 5th round, game 2, my opponent therapys me, with me having a Helix and a Firebolt. My body somehow thought that I somehow got duressed, and I threw my hand on the table. Well, he had not named a card yet, so he made fun of me until the game ended for being a retard. I still won.

MattH
02-05-2007, 07:01 PM
My opponent and I were both at 8ish life. He had a Tog, I had a Tog and a Mongoose (threshed). I attacked, he blocked Tog with Tog (had to), I said I didn't feel like figuring out who had the bigger guy so we let the 1/2s bounce. If I had pumped, he would either have lost his only creature, or lost all his Tog fuel so he couldn't kill me on the return strike.

And then I doubled-down on my idiocy by not playing any of the THREE MORE BLOCKERS in my hand - Two Togs and a Mongoose. He attacked and pumped and I died looking really stupid.

Tao
02-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Later on in that same tournament, I'm playing the mirror match. We're pretty much alpha striking every turn, racing the shit out of each other. I'm at like 3, he's got a Thopter on the board that can swing for lethal the next turn, and I've got no way to block it. I proceed to Alpha strike, and one by one sac everything to Ravager, triggering Disciple, doing exactly enough damage to kill him. Except he's got a Disciple in play as well. This play mistake actually goes to him though, because he scooped up his cards, and I pointed to his Disciple. He called a judge, but I got the win.

After 3 years here is how you should play this in 3 easy steps:

Step 1:
Pass the turn.

Step2:
Sacrifice a creature, let the Disciple triggers go on the stack. Let your Disciple trigger resolve.

Step3:
With your opponent's Disciple trigger on the stack sacrifce the next artifact. Repeat that X times where X is your opponent's life total.

Your opponent can have 4 Disciples in play and he will not be able to let you lose a single life.

Durahan
02-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Ok, so I was playing against Pinder awhile back in a tournament. He was playing some RG beats deck with Troll Ascetic, Rancor, and stuff. I was playing a WB control deck.

I played an Engineered Plague naming Shaman on turn 3. A few turns later he played a Troll Ascetic and I was at 9. For 3 turns he swung with his Ascetic and I drew no answers. I picked up my cards, and then I realized i had an Engineered Plague out to make his Troll a 2/1. We were sitting here thinking it was doing me 3 damage each turn. Later, I found out the next card I would've drawn was the 2nd Engineered Plague.

I lost that match, because I 'scooped' when I was picking up my cards. I felt like such an idiot that night.

Atwa
02-07-2007, 03:40 AM
I was playing in the Dutch Legacy Champs with Angel Stompy (some crazy version with Spectral Lynx, Jotun Grunt and 1 Pariah maindeck).

After playing Hugo van Dijke the first round with his now famous Terrageddon deck, which I lost after 3 very excitening games, going into the extra rounds, I had to play against a R/G Goblins deck.

After losing to Golbins' raw power game one, I side in a Pariah and 3 Honourable Passage. This seemed a good thing, since I smashed his face (triple Silver Knight and 2 Soltari Priest seem to do these things).

Round 3:
I play a first turn Silver Knight. He goes Lackey. Second turn Pariah under the Silver Knight, I win. Or do I?
Since the game against Hugo lasted that long I wasn't able to get something to drink and go out for a smoke. Horrorable mistakes await. I attack with the knight a couple of times and I keep playing lands. He keeps playing goblins and has gathered a whole army (whats the point in blocking lackey when he can't do anything with his creatures right?).
At one point in the game I have: Ancient Tomb, 3 Plains and a Chrome Mox. Eager to get outside for the smoke I hardcast my Exalted Angel.

This is the stupidist thing I have ever done. Playing the angel morphed and flipping it the next turn would have resulted in the same amount of damage, since the angel has summoning sickness. Now Ancient Tomb deals 2 colourless damage to the Knight, who dies, and I am stuck with a Exalted Angel against 12 goblins (of which 3 Piledrivers). Needless to say I lost that game.

Smoking Kills

Obfuscate Freely
02-07-2007, 02:50 PM
I play a first turn Silver Knight. He goes Lackey. Second turn Pariah under the Silver Knight, I win. Or do I?
Since the game against Hugo lasted that long I wasn't able to get something to drink and go out for a smoke. Horrorable mistakes await. I attack with the knight a couple of times and I keep playing lands. He keeps playing goblins and has gathered a whole army (whats the point in blocking lackey when he can't do anything with his creatures right?).
At one point in the game I have: Ancient Tomb, 3 Plains and a Chrome Mox. Eager to get outside for the smoke I hardcast my Exalted Angel.

I have to admit doing a similar thing in the semifinals of a Legacy Black Lotus tourney. My opponent was playing some kind of Sligh deck, and I locked out the game on turn 3 or so with Pariah on a Silver Knight.

Late in the game, my opponent's life total dwindling, he finally finds a colorless damage source - a Mishra's Factory. My hand at this point contains multiple Disenchant effects, so I'm not concerned. I swing in with Knight against the sick Factory, and pass the turn. He cracks back, of course.

So I let it through. Why waste removal on a stupid Factory when I'm so far ahead in life? Sure, I take two. Done?

Spectators of the game actually had to point out that I didn't take two, and that the Knight died. That is to say my opponent missed the interaction, as well! I think everyone watching was wondering how the two of us made it to the elimination rounds.

Luckily, my hapless opponent was (just barely) unable to unload his hand before he died the next turn, but it sure was embarrassing.

He keeps playing goblins and has gathered a whole army (whats the point in blocking lackey when he can't do anything with his creatures right?).
I thought I should mention that Lackey won't trigger if the damage is redirected and prevented by a Pariah lock. Sigh... I miss the days when red decks didn't run Swords to Plowshares or Disenchants.

TeenieBopper
02-07-2007, 03:14 PM

That was awesome. You were like the last match going, so the entire tournament was watching. When you scooped up your cards, everyone's jaw hit the floor. They were too dumbfounded to even laugh at you. I, of course, wasn't.

I heard about this one noob who missed Lackey triggers in GP:Philly. Come to think of it, said noob was fucking up left and right that day.

calosso
02-07-2007, 03:23 PM
That was awesome. You were like the last match going, so the entire tournament was watching. When you scooped up your cards, everyone's jaw hit the floor. They were too dumbfounded to even laugh at you. I, of course, wasn't.

I heard about this one noob who missed Lackey triggers in GP:Philly. Come to think of it, said noob was fucking up left and right that day.

Yea, I heard he missed 3-4 lackey triggers against an elf deck.

I my self have missed jitte triggers against Cavern ninja.

Tao
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
One big monthly German tourney I was playing Survival. I used it EoT to get something I needed and tapped out for it. In response my opponent Disenchants it.The next turn I totally forgot about my disenchanted Survival. So EoT I activate it to get my superfatties. My opponent was so confused that he didn't say anything, but fortunately a spectatator mentioned that I have no Survival in play. My opponent was nice and let me take everything back.

The next big Tourney 1 week later I was playing Aluren against a Deadguy deck. I have no hand and rip an Aluren from the top and play it. 2 turns later my opponent Vindicates it and we are both in Topdeck mode. I draw Raven Familiar from the top and forget that I have no Aluren in play. So I play my familiar, chain it into a Man'oWar, then find a Witness etc. My opponent again was so confused that he didn't see that something was wrong. He was about to scoop, but again a spectator wondered what I was doing and again I was so lucky that my opponent allowed me to shuffle my whole turn back into my library.

The next weeks I could hear some "why don't u just use your Survival?" in local tourneys, even the drafts.

Vardaman
02-07-2007, 04:00 PM
One big monthly German tourney I was playing Survival. I used it EoT to get something I needed and tapped out for it. In response my opponent Disenchants it.The next turn I totally forgot about my disenchanted Survival. So EoT I activate it to get my superfatties. My opponent was so confused that he didn't say anything, but fortunately a spectatator mentioned that I have no Survival in play. My opponent was nice and let me take everything back.

I've done that once or twice too. :p

Parcher
02-07-2007, 06:14 PM
In the last Source tournament I was paired against Angel of Despair. She was playing the standard White Thresh, and myself running U/W/g Loam Confinement.

Game one she scooped when I resolved a Confinment with the cards to support it.

Game two is even worse. She gets stuck at one basic land. I get the Wastelock going to keep her there. To make it worse, I have a Mage out naming Plow, and another naming Naturalize. Unfortunately, she does have a Mongoose swinging for three every turn.

Now I can't find a Confinement, and haven't drawn much countermagic. I refuse to Block the Goose, as she has a hand with land, Plow and Naturalize that I don't want to deal with. So I Intuition for Tabernacle, limiting her to one possible mana, and allowing me to only lose one Mage to kill her Goose.

Guess which one of us doesn't remember to pay during upkeep, and dies two turns later.:frown:

alakar
02-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Round one of 2006 Legacy Worlds. I'm playing u/g/r/w thresh. My oppenet, Solidarity. I brainstorm at the end of my turn, putting mage and counter spell on top (mistake 1, though I did have a Good grip). Wait, whats that, flooded strand, sure I'll crack it and get a tundra then shuffle mage and counter away...... (Mistake 2)

Another one, round three of the tournament playing vs Goblin splash white. Having thresh hold, 1 werebear in play, in a creature stalemate. I have three lands and for the life of me cannot think how to get mystic enforcer into play. The turn after he geddons, I realize that bear produces mana.....

I had very little sleep that weekend.... It was just bad....

Anarky87
02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Playing in a local tournament in the T4 against Angel Stax while I'm playing Red Death. It's game 3 and his only win condition is Exalted Angel of which he runs 3. I decide not to side in my 4 Dystopia's for my burn because my discard, LD, and fast creatures should do him in...He mulligans into a hand of 5 lands and an Angel, turbos her out and guess what permanents he ends the game with on his side? Land and 2 Angels. I felt pretty stupid after that one.

Bane of the Living
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
I have 2 huge tog mistakes.

One tourny im surrounded by spectators sinec we're the last 2 playing. Im dredging like crazy and drawing cards playing wishes. I pump my tog to lethal counting all the cards and say give tog +x/+x and he responds by Bolting it or something stupid. I didnt pass priority between the pumps and he really finkled the judge and I about it pushed for the dead tog. Boo.

Another game I pump a lethal tog with 2 mana open and 2 circular logics in hand. I eat my entire graveyard with the mindset that I still have counter magic to back tog up. Logic you for zero? Logic you for one??? Damn.

TeenieBopper
02-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Yea, I heard he missed 3-4 lackey triggers against an elf deck.

No, he missed the lackey triggers against Affinity.

Against the elf deck, he played a hasted Goblin Sharpshooter and pinged a Priest of Titania. The opponent floated mana. He then said, out loud, "Does green actually have instants? I mean, besides Naturalize?" And then proceeded to mow down the rest of the team before declaring his attack phase. The opponent then played Caller of the Claw for 6 2/2 tokens. What a fuckin' noob.

troopatroop
02-08-2007, 08:29 AM
That foil ATS Masticore has fucked me up too many times.

calosso
02-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Against the elf deck, he played a hasted Goblin Sharpshooter and pinged a Priest of Titania. The opponent floated mana. He then said, out loud, "Does green actually have instants? I mean, besides Naturalize?" And then proceeded to mow down the rest of the team before declaring his attack phase. The opponent then played Caller of the Claw for 6 2/2 tokens. What a fuckin' noob.

Yea, that was not a good day for a particular legacy adept. He also lost to me about 8 times before the legacy GP, when he was getting spanked by goblin pyromancer.

TeenieBopper
02-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Yea, that was not a good day for a particular legacy adept. He also lost to me about 8 times before the legacy GP, when he was getting spanked by goblin pyromancer.

Yeah, I told him to just play Burn, but he didn't listen to me.

MattH
02-09-2007, 12:50 AM

So if like 12 creatures died in combat, shouldn't that have been enough (or nearly enough) Sharpshooter pings to at LEAST wipe the board, if not kill the elf player?

Di
02-09-2007, 01:59 AM
So if like 12 creatures died in combat, shouldn't that have been enough (or nearly enough) Sharpshooter pings to at LEAST wipe the board, if not kill the elf player?

You would think, but he happened to be a very bad player. I mean, this is the same person that scrubbed out after a 3-round bye.

That foil ATS Masticore has fucked me up too many times.

Which one, because I have two. One has a cutline. Oh yea, that Masticore might be fucking people up at a major event within the next week.

TeenieBopper
02-09-2007, 09:11 AM

Nonono, youdont' understand. He pinged the priest, and the opponent floated mana. Instead of declaring his attack phase, he wiped the rest of the board alllowing the opponent to play caller of the claw and get an asston of tokens.

FakeSpam
02-09-2007, 09:24 AM
One time, I played Battle of Wits. That was a BIG (250+) card mistake.

troopatroop
02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Which one, because I have two. One has a cutline. Oh yea, that Masticore might be fucking people up at a major event within the next week.

I meant that I've fucked up with that card. Like, lost games that were won by forgetting upkeep.

And talk is cheap. Win some shit, and I'll buy the deck again. Pinky.