PDA

View Full Version : First at Monster Den with Junk Pile.dec

Goblin Snowman
02-10-2007, 11:16 PM
This was a 1.5 Tourney that got about 40 good players to come, with prizes being 4 Underground Seas, 4 Forces, 4 Taiga, and a Mana Drain. Here's the uber janky deck that I played, in the hope of proving it's a decent deck, the theory behind it being that if I put enough powerful cards into a deck it'll work out.

4x Wasteland
4x Rishadan Port
4x Ancient Tomb
4x City of Traitors
4x Tendo Ice Bridge
2x Gemstone Mine
3x City of Brass

4x Mox Diamond

4x Masticore
4x Serendib Efreet
3x Erhnam Djinn
2x Sea Drake
4x Flametongue Kavu
2x Glowrider

4x Chalice of the Void
2x Trinisphere
2x Sword of Fire and Ice
1x Sword of Light and Shadow
3x Umezawa's Jitte

SB
4x Engineered Plague
4x Armageddon
2x Trinisphere
3x Pyroclasm
2x Crainial Extraction

I ended at taking home 1st and the Forces and letting the other guy take the Seas. I'm tired and didn't want to play it out, plus having 10 Forces is sexy.

Round 1 - Thres WGU
He had no idea what I was playing. Mages ended up chanting Smokestack and then Tanglewire as FTKs beat face.
-3 Jitte, 2 SoFI, 1 SoLS, +2 Trinisphere, +4 Armageddon
G2 I ended up not being able to resolve CotV or Trinisphere, and he had multiple STP for the lose. G3 I rape with an Erhnam, then 'Geddon. Welcome to 1996.

1-0 (2-1)

Round 2 - Solidarity
Game one I get a decent disruption hand, and just need to wait for a creature...... and wait some more.... and some more. The game ends with me having Chalice at one and two, a Trinisphere, 2 Ports, and 3 FTKs in hand. I rock.
-4 FTK, -3 Jitte, -1 SoLS, +4 Armageddon, +2 Crainial Extraction, +2 Trinsphere.
Game 2 was hate, hate hate. I get Extration on Turn two, Chalice 2 turn 3, and fat turn four. Yeah, I won. Game three he kept a one lander with a Brainstorm, and BSed into no land. Poor guy.

2-0 (4-2)

Round 3 - Solidarity
I beat him game one with one card left in my deck after forcing him to be Spring Tide (Yay Rishadan Port).
Same boarding Plan as Above
My only Colored source is a Tendo Ice Bridge, and after my Glowrider is Remanded I sit for 4 turns, while he never misses a land drop. He has all four Remands, and plays land until he goes off in response to an Armageddon. G3 he's overwhelmed as I Extration Cunning Wish with a Chalice down, while Djinn and Efreet beat face.

3-0 (6-3)

Round Four - Goblins
I win the roll, and have the broken start; Turn One Sea Drake, turn two FTK Lackey, turn three Masticore shooting your blocker, he scoops.
-2 Sea Drake, -2 Glowrider, -2 Trinisphere, -1 SoLS, +4 Plague, +3 Pyroclasm.
Every Ringleader he casts hits another one, and he buries me in card advantage. Game three I mull to five, and almost pull it out with a Plague, but he mises like a champion into all of his Piledrivers to kill me the turn before the second Plague.

3-1 (5-4)

Round Five - Thres
Game one I see 4x Wasteland, and a Port keeps him off mana until I can beat.
Same boarding plans.
Triple Mage on FTK, Masticore and Efreet, all of which I am holding.
G3 ends up with him at 6, me at 2, with a FTK, and Efreet, him with Mongoose and Werebear. I cast Masticore as a blocker and beat him to 3. He doesn't rip a land and uses Werebear to cast Mystic Enforcer, but still doesn't have enough blockers to live.

4-1 (7-5)

I ID into top 8.

Top Eight - Thres
I get broken plays involving Sea Drake, Glowrider, and SoFI. I think an Efreet came out, prompting a scoop.
I didn't board in Armageddons here, for some reason, but -2 Jitte, +2 Trinisphere.
I have a turn one Trinisphere Dazed, allowing my Chalice to resolve. Fatties take it from there, with his lone Mystic Enforcer getting overwhelmed.

Top 4 - Goblins
He didn't get a Vial or Lackey on turn one, which are the only thing that this deck really fears from Goblins. When he starts to cast Incenerators, I know I have G1.
Same Board Plan
After eating some Goblins with Masticore and two FTK (both get Incinerated) I get him into lethal range when he tries to STP Masticore; only I have Chalice at one out. GG.

Top 2 - Goblins
A decent guy who I know, so I decided to give him the Seas for Forces and 1st. Plus, I'm too tired and hungry to play, the only thing I ate today being 7 slices from a Dominos nearby over the course of the day.

Props - People driving for an hour to pick me up, thanks guys.
People who play Thres and Solidarity, ty to all of you.
Masticore, for taking games that I had no business winning.
Me, for getting myself to 3 against Solidarity.
Crainial Extraction, for being incredible against Solidarity.

Slops - Goblins; Mise well hit four Ringleaders, right?
Dominos, man you're greasy.
Glowrider, for being far less sexy than I'd hoped.
Sneak Attack, for only going 4-2; I had high hopes for you.

Well, I'm just saying that 5c Ancient Tomb based decks are playable, and now I have evidence to support it.

EDIT - If anyone is examining the MN meta, the T8 was 2x Goblins, 2x Solidarity (the two I beat) 1x Hanni Fish, Me, and 2x Thres. So yeah, only play this in a decent Meta.

Firebrothers
02-10-2007, 11:42 PM
Props to you for having the balls to play this pile in a large tournement. Be prepared to have tons of posts dissecting your deck and card decisions.

n00bas4urus_r3x
02-10-2007, 11:51 PM
nice job alex, wish i would have been there to throw a wrench into your gears. my ride didnt work out :frown: nice finish!

Drathro
02-11-2007, 01:29 AM
Congratulations! This deck sound like stupid fun to play! (That's a good thing.) Old school FTK and even older school Erhnam Djinn - nice! I enjoyed your tournament report, too. Welcome to 1996 indeed.

Citrus-God
02-11-2007, 02:11 AM
The game we had in the top 8 was amazing... FtK blew my bear, and gang raped my Enforcer. I got jealous while they were tapped, and then they were tapping towards me.... beastiality rules!

Goblin Snowman
02-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone. If I had to make a few changes, I'd put Fire Imp in the place of Pyroclasm in my Board, or at least Rough//Tumble for the random Enforcer. Against Goblins Fire Imp is far better in my opinion, since it comes down to them slow-playing Tinkerers/SCG and other Bombs, forcing me to waste the Pyroclasm. Also would really like to fit the 3rd Crainial into my board, as Extrating Cwish is the nutz against Solidarity. Sea Drake was only alright for me, I'd keep it at two, but I'd never add more. I'd almost always rather had Serendib since it beats up Mongoose and is hard to Incinerate. Glowrider might be ditched for Negator, but I was able to lock Thres out with him and an Armageddon, and beat Solidarity, but Negator is just so big.

Vardaman
02-11-2007, 11:13 AM
Nice work, Alex!

gustoh
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM
It's not Hanni Fish...

LT...

Cavius The Great
02-15-2007, 05:15 PM
I like the fact that Erhnam Djinn has no drawback whatsoever. I guess I should of mentioned that on the N&D thread. :tongue:

And why didn't you take the Underground Seas? They're almost double the price of FoWs.

Goblin Snowman
02-15-2007, 06:02 PM
I like the fact that Erhnam Djinn has no drawback whatsoever. I guess I should of mentioned that on the N&D thread. :tongue:

And why didn't you take the Underground Seas? They're almost double the price of FoWs.

Because I was tired, and didn't want to press the issue. I also thought they were still at about $30, while I can trade off Forces to people nearby at $25 value, allowing me to pick up the singlton duels I need for playsets. But really because I wasn't thinking straight.

gustoh - Fine, UBW Fish. Come up with a better name for it if you don't want me calling it Hanni Fish.

Cavius The Great
02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Because I was tired, and didn't want to press the issue. I also thought they were still at about $30, while I can trade off Forces to people nearby at $25 value, allowing me to pick up the singlton duels I need for playsets. But really because I wasn't thinking straight.

gustoh - Fine, UBW Fish. Come up with a better name for it if you don't want me calling it Hanni Fish.

Underground Seas go for around 50-60 now a piece.

xsockmonkeyx
02-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Underground Seas go for around 50-60 now a piece.

No, they don't (http://www.cardshark.com/magic/card_detail.asp?card_id=8185).

Kyachi
02-15-2007, 06:32 PM
You think so?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mtg-Magic-The-Gathering-1x-Underground-Sea-Dual-Land_W0QQitemZ120087430044QQihZ002QQcategoryZ19115QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Citrus-God
02-15-2007, 07:58 PM
It's not Hanni Fish...

LT...

It get's it's own name; Lenny Fish. It's more aggressive and has a better midgame than Hanni Fish. This has been proven at Maplewood already, after seeing it in action. I might try that deck out.

gustoh
02-15-2007, 08:11 PM

It plays a lot more like old 2003-2004 Vintage EBA/Dump Truck than a fish build. Biggest difference is that you don't have the Exalted Angel for the finisher.

I don't think Bearmon played Goblin Tinkerer main or in the side so you should have just played the finals out to claim the 1st place victory...

LT...

Goblin Snowman
02-15-2007, 08:16 PM
It plays a lot more like old 2003-2004 Vintage EBA/Dump Truck than a fish build. Biggest difference is that you don't have the Exalted Angel for the finisher.

I don't think Bearmon played Goblin Tinkerer main or in the side so you should have just played the finals out to claim the 1st place victory...

LT...

Yeah, but he can lucksack the $hit out of Goblins. Every Ringleader he cast hits another one, apparently. And I wasn't thinking straight due to hunger.

Citrus-God
02-15-2007, 08:29 PM

LT...

Not to mention he plays 2-ofs in the SB like crazy. He always draws them when he needs them, it's insane!

Kyachi
02-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Not to mention he plays 2-ofs in the SB like crazy. He always draws them when he needs them, it's insane!

I noticed that.

I wish for salvagers with combo pieces on board. I then opt to Infernal Tutor for another one in case he has swords. Good thing I did too, because as soon as I played it and passed the turn he swords it.

Next turn I played another one! Should've seen the swords on that one too. That's poker though.

Cavius The Great
02-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Underground Seas go for 50 bucks near mint at SCG.com. Fuck Ebay, I don't go by their prices.

ForceofWill
02-16-2007, 02:45 AM
Star City Games has never had good prices on played cards.

TorpidNinja
02-16-2007, 07:22 AM
Underground Seas go for 50 bucks near mint at SCG.com. Fuck Ebay, I don't go by their prices.
That's a completely insane statement.

Of course there are huge prices on SCG, even they say that their prices are inflated. Their argument is that they provide the service of always having the cards you need when you need them (which is debatable, but that's not the point in this instance.) You could never make such a claim such that you could get 50-60 bucks for your Seas.

Futhermore, I suppose if you're talking about eBay's stock price or current business plan, sure, 'fuck eBay.' But there's not enough illegitimacy on eBay to throw them out as a price gauge for a market lacking reporting like MTG.

Kyachi
02-16-2007, 01:42 PM

That is the world's dumbest (I know that's not a word) statement. Why would you not use the world's cheapest place of business? Let me paraphrase what you have just said:

"Screw Ebay! For some reason, I choose to limit my spending to stores that will charge me up to 30 dollars more than what I could pay on Ebay! Not only that, I will refuse to believe that YOU will shop in a place other than the one I believe is best!"

If you don't like Ebay, try this:

http://cardshark.com/magic/card_detail.asp?card_id=8185

Nightmare
02-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Underground Seas go for 50 bucks near mint at SCG.com. Fuck Ebay, I don't go by their prices.I'll sell you a set of Underground Seas for $200.

herbig
02-16-2007, 04:13 PM
I'll sell you a set of Underground Seas for $200.

I'll sell mine for $199

Watcher487
02-16-2007, 04:17 PM
I'll sell mine for $199

Screw that I'll sell mine for $200.01. Bob Barker style punk!

Di
02-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Man that kid just keeps making an ass of himself over and over again. Classic.

Cavius The Great
02-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Diablos, I love you man, but stop belittling me. What have I ever done to you, bro? Don't hate - participate.

As for my resentment of Ebay, it's for a reason. I got ripped off like 100 times there of dollar amounts you would find unimaginable. I realize it's the cheapest way to buy cards but there is a risk factor in buying there, which I seldom like to take. That's why I only buy from "legitimate" website businesses like SCG.com where getting burned isn't an issue. Sure, you dish out some extra cash but it's all worth it in the end.

xsockmonkeyx
02-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Don't hate - participate.

Oh god, I think I pissed myself a little.

Kyachi
02-17-2007, 11:52 AM
As for my resentment of Ebay, it's for a reason. I got ripped off like 100 times there of dollar amounts you would find unimaginable. I realize it's the cheapest way to buy cards but there is a risk factor in buying there, which I seldom like to take. That's why I only buy from "legitimate" website businesses like SCG.com where getting burned isn't an issue. Sure, you dish out some extra cash but it's all worth it in the end.

You can also look at feedback scores which really do have an impact on the quality of a seller. There are a number of sellers who really on Ebay as a major source of income comes from their ebay stores.