PDA

View Full Version : This Forum Should Have Archives

Cavius The Great
02-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I really think that this forum should have archives like TMD. So much valuable stuff gets lost when threads just "expire". I think it's something that the mods should really consider for the benefit of the whole Magic community. What do you guys think?

Tao
02-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I agree. I was searching for some older posts and was disappointed when I couldn't find them.

Peter_Rotten
02-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Umm, don't you have "Display Options" at the bottom of the page? They should help.

Di
02-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Of course it would all be easier if Nightmare didn't delete them.

Cavius The Great
02-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Umm, don't you have "Display Options" at the bottom of the page? They should help.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "display options". Wouldn't it be easier to just start an archive section on this forum? I'm assuming that it would be more convenient for a lot of people.

Nightmare
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
There is an archive. You just can't see it. If you're looking for something specific, let me know and I'll find whatever it is and make it accessable.

Atwa
02-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't it be easier to have the whole archive visible again like it was, and restrict posting in it, I know thats possible.

You can restict posting in a subforum for everyone except mods, and people whould still have acces to it. I really liked the days when I could just search the old forums for deckideas. Even if half the decks can't be build anymore since the sepperate bannedlists, there are some gems to be found in there.

Restricting would be a good thing, since the archieves seemed to have disapeared some days after Quicksilver found out he could still post in them.

Zilla
02-11-2007, 05:05 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "display options". Wouldn't it be easier to just start an archive section on this forum? I'm assuming that it would be more convenient for a lot of people.
Look for a display options dropdown at the bottom of your screen when you're viewing the forums. By default it's set to hide threads that have been inactive for 30 days or more. They are still viewable. You just have to set display options to a longer timeframe.

And there is an archive forum. It's currently only viewable to the mod staff, and there's a good reason for that.

Atwa
02-11-2007, 05:24 PM
And there is an archive forum. It's currently only viewable to the mod staff, and there's a good reason for that.

From what I recall it has always been visible, until Quicksilver started to post in it. Why not simply make it visible again and restrict non-mod users from posting in it? It's pretty simple to configure the boards like that.

Peter_Rotten
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
From what I recall it has always been visible, until Quicksilver started to post in it. Why not simply make it visible again and restrict non-mod users from posting in it? It's pretty simple to configure the boards like that.

If we did that, then you would see all the good theads.

Atwa
02-11-2007, 05:31 PM
If we did that, then you would see all the good theads.

I've already seen them, and most of them aren't that shocking, but there are some hidden gems in there, you can't argue with that.

I can see the need for some mods to prevent the public from seeing some deckideas for the comming grand-prix (there are some decks in there that sure as hell beat Burning Tog after all(just kidding P_R, just kidding)).

Nightmare
02-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Just so I can clear this whole issue up once and for all, here's why the archives are hidden:

The old archives were a set of threads cleaned out from the older version of the site, comprised of deck threads, old-mish-mash stuff, old community stuff, past tourneys, etc.

We decided to make new usergroups so that teams could have their own discussion boards, and in doing so, P_R changed the visibility of the "Old Forum of General Mish-Mash," so that anyone could see it. In trying to fix it, I mistakenedly moved every non-stickied thread on the site into the archives. This only took one button to do, I was as surprised as everyone else was.

Unfortunately, while the software allows you to move all the threads to the archive with one click, you have to move every thread back by hand, one at a time. To give you an idea of how tedious this is, I worked at it for 2 days to get it to how the site is now. There are over 180 pages of threads still in the archive. These are not sorted. They include threads from the Adept discussion board as well as the Mod board. We can't easily move them back, and we can't have everyone having access to them. While I have been slowly working on un-archiving, there's really no benefit to moving everything back, some of it really belongs where it is.

The easiest solution is what I've already described. If you need something specific, let me know and I'll dig it up and restore it. Otherwise, you aren't missing much.

Cavius The Great
02-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I see your point, but can't we start fresh and start archiving stuff from this point onward? It only makes sense to.

Nightmare
02-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I see your point, but can't we start fresh and start archiving stuff from this point onward? It only makes sense to.

Why would we archive stuff now? Everything is accessable in the forums it's in, so what purpose would an archive serve?

Cavius The Great
02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
I meant for something in the long run. Almost every day a thread gets bumped into non-existence. It's only a matter of time when we need a new archive. A thread dies just about every day, why not put that thread in an archive section instead?

Nightmare
02-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Look for a display options dropdown at the bottom of your screen when you're viewing the forums. By default it's set to hide threads that have been inactive for 30 days or more. They are still viewable. You just have to set display options to a longer timeframe.Read this, Cavius.

Cavius The Great
02-13-2007, 10:30 AM
I realize that, Nightmare. my point being, that's very far from convenient. If you made archives readily available for everyone to view, I think that would make us all happy. I'm not trying to apply any pressure, I'm sure you Mods have your reasons. But in this case, I really think that the 'pros' outweigh the 'cons' in this situation.

Nightmare
02-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I realize that, Nightmare. my point being, that's very far from convenient. If you made archives readily available for everyone to view, I think that would make us all happy. I'm not trying to apply any pressure, I'm sure you Mods have your reasons. But in this case, I really think that the 'pros' outweigh the 'cons' in this situation.I don't think you really have any idea what you're talking about. I still can't tell if you understand that the threads past 30 days of inactivity aren't gone at all, and that your display options (EXTREMELY easy to change) are the only thing stopping you from seeing them.

My inconvenience (Moving over 4000 threads one at a time, by hand) outweighs yours (selecting a more inclusive display option). Not to be an ass or anything, but your convenience is very low on my list of priorities. As I said, if something needs to be viewable, I'm happy to take it on a case by case basis. Otherwise, work with what you have, it's a large majority of relevant threads.

Peter_Rotten
02-13-2007, 01:08 PM
I realize that, Nightmare. my point being, that's very far from convenient. If you made archives readily available for everyone to view, I think that would make us all happy. I'm not trying to apply any pressure, I'm sure you Mods have your reasons. But in this case, I really think that the 'pros' outweigh the 'cons' in this situation.

YOU WANT THE ARCHIVES? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE ARCHIVES!

Atwa
02-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Could you bring back the treads about survival? Just the main treads about ATS, RGSA and FEB. I am going to have some spare time in the near future, and I want to take some effort into building a good survival build.

Hey, how's that?
I even asked nicely instead of bitching to the mod staff about what they should do in their free time. I really must keep in mind that is also an optioin.

Cavius The Great
02-13-2007, 01:17 PM

LOL, SIGGED!!

Nightmare
02-13-2007, 01:19 PM
I, too, watched the movie A Few Good Men this weekend.

Could you bring back the treads about survival? Just the main treads about ATS, RGSA and FEB. I am going to have some spare time in the near future, and I want to take some effort into building a good survival build.Word. I'll put them in Open.

Atwa
02-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Word. I'll put them in Open.

Thanks, thats another 4 hours of reading material :)

Edit:

Isn't is an idea to sticky a tread for requests to move old treads back? This way you can prevent this kind of tread where people (I did it too, a little) start whining about archieves. The posts can be deleted after the tread in question is brought back from the dead. Just a random idea.

Nightmare
02-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Isn't is an idea to sticky a tread for requests to move old treads back? This way you can prevent this kind of tread where people (I did it too, a little) start whining about archieves. The posts can be deleted after the tread in question is brought back from the dead. Just a random idea.
Do European keyboards have no "H" key? I've noticed that a lot - be it "********" or "tread." Tis trend is a sitty one, and it urts my eyes to read it.

I'll think about it.

Cait_Sith
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks, thats another... hours... this... this... where... whining... archives... the... the... brought... the dead...

Apparently they do have an H-key, I wonder if (blah blah)

Is Finn's old dirt deck somewhere in the archives? I would like a peek at it if it is.

Atwa
02-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Do European keyboards have no "H" key? I've noticed that a lot - be it "********" or "tread." Tis trend is a sitty one, and it urts my eyes to read it.

We actually do have one, but the problem is I don't hear the difference of there is an "H" after the "T" or not.

Add to that fact I am actually dislectic, which doesn't make it any easier for me translating everything that pops up in my mind. I really try to fix all the errors after previewing or actually posting, but the letters I don't actually hear are bound to slip through.

Lukas Preuss
02-13-2007, 02:22 PM

I'll think about it.

Funny, because the French actually can't pronounce the H-sound, I think.

Apart from that, I noticed that many German players actually say (not only write) "********" when talking about the deck... this is, because German has no dental fricatives (th in English) and people try to pronounce the words differently. Normally, they would replace the th-sound with "s" or "z", but somehow, the dental fricative in Threshold is replaced with T when most people talk about it... don't ask me why. :D

Hm, I just had an exam on Phonetics and Phonology at the University... normally, I wouldn't know about this kind of linguistic shit. ;)

Nightmare
02-13-2007, 03:15 PM
Yeah, not making fun of you guys, I was genuinely curious. I've seen it happen too many times for it to have been a typo.

Cait_Sith
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Did this board ever have a Legacy Friggorid Primer? I know it sounds stupid, but I am curious.

Bryant Cook
02-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Did this board ever have a Legacy Friggorid Primer? I know it sounds stupid, but I am curious.

Friggorid is a new arch-type, because of the mechanic dredge. Dredge was introduced a little over a year ago. Why would the source have a primer in an archive for such a new and not very popular archtype?

Ewokslayer
02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
There is a Friggorid Thread (http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3374&highlight=Friggorid)

As for a Primer how is this?

Step 1
Discard a dredge card
Step 2
Dredge Alot
Step 3
Swing with free 3/1's
Step 4
Flashback Cabal Therapy
Step 5
Repeat Steps 1 - 4 until the game is over

Peter_Rotten
02-14-2007, 07:00 PM
There is an archive. You just can't see it. If you're looking for something specific, let me know and I'll find whatever it is and make it accessable.

I want my Snow Day Thread back you archiving junkie! I had a snow day today and no thread to brag about it! Snap to!

Nightmare
02-15-2007, 08:11 AM
I want my Snow Day Thread back you archiving junkie! I had a snow day today and no thread to brag about it! Snap to!So cry about it. FUCK! You can see that word, because you aren't behind a school filter.

FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT PISS COCK.

Cavius The Great
02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Mr. Nightmare. Can you bring my "Legends card sleeves and the problems it ensued" thread back? I have some stuff I would like to discuss on that thread. Thanx ahead of time. :wink:

Nightmare
02-15-2007, 11:19 PM
DUDE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FIX YOUR DISPLAY OPTIONS.

The thread is still there. It is still in the Community Board.

Cavius The Great
02-16-2007, 01:11 AM
DUDE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, FIX YOUR DISPLAY OPTIONS.

The thread is still there. It is still in the Community Board.

LOL. That was easy.

Di
02-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Thank you, it is over. Also thank you for publicly demonstrating what little intelligence you actually have.