PDA

View Full Version : Second Two Headed Giant box tournament

dahcmai
02-14-2007, 01:09 PM
We play a tournament every new set now with a full box of whatever the set is at the time between two people for two headed giant. It's quite a laugh trying to build 2 decks out of an entire box. It allows for more dedicated decks than normal limited and less so than constructed. It's somewhere in between. We had 10 teams this time around for Planar Chaos. The prize being the top 2 picks of the combined card pool of the 10 boxes and $25 store credit.

Last year I walked away with a Foil Ancestral visions and Foil Serra Avenger (2nd place). 1st place was 2 Foil Psionic blasts.

Anyway, this time around I ended up with something along these lines. Quite the beating.

3x Shivan Meteor
2x Pyrohemia
1x jotun's Avenger
6x Dead/Gone
1x aether membrane
1x Torchling
2x red Akroma
1x Hammerheim Deadeye
1x Body Double
1x Ovinize
2x Pongify
and some shaper parasites.

My partner had black and really just owned with enslaves, Utopia vows, a couple of the dragons, and mana accel from green.

Nevertheless, we destroyed everyone and walked away with the foil Damnation and a few regular ones. Hurrah!

This is a really fun way to get your cards to play in legacy. Since there's usually very little legacy players want out of each set it's a prime way to get the ones you want exactly having a huge card pool to pick from. 360 packs is nothing to sneeze at. Plus you can snag all the top type 2 rares and have a trading frenzy. It's fun and good for the collection at the same time.

You should try to convince your local store to try it. Even being $40 to get in (since you do pay for half the box) it attracted even those table top players you never see because they avoid tournaments like the plague for some reason. It's a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

Atwa
02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Looks like a cool format.

Whenever I (or one of my friends) buy a box, we normally do a draft with 2-4 players, give everyone 5 boosters and start drafting. It's very weird, since you can predict from the start what everyone is going to play, but it's lots of fun.

We nomally give the winner the choise between: a card at choise, keep the commons and uncommons of your deck or get a booster. Nothing to gain for the guy who's bought a box, but then again: you've already got a whole box.