PDA

View Full Version : Morph and protection

Geeba
02-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Hi,

I was wondering about the following. I declared a morphed Fathom Seer as a blocker vs. a Goblin Piledriver. We put damage on the stack, but before damage resolves I return 2 Islands to my hand to unmorph the Fathom Seer. Is the damage on the Piledriver prevented because of the protection, as combat damage resolves, because Fathom Seer is now blue? Or does the Piledriver get 2 damage because the morph which damage was stacked is colorless?

Thanks in advance

on1y0ne
02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
When damage is put on the stack, the only thing that is locked in at that time is the amount. Once damage resolves, since the Fathom Seer is now face up, the damage is blue, so it is prevented to the Piledriver.

Geeba
02-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you for your swift and clear reply:smile:

cdr
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
To clarify, abilities and combat damage on the stack have only one thing - a source. They do not themselves have a color or anything else. They will always use the information from their source, or the Last Known Information from their source if the source is no longer in play.

310.4b. The source of the combat damage is the creature as it currently exists, or as it most recently existed if it is no longer in play.

402.6. Once activated or triggered, an ability exists independently of its source as an ability on the stack. Destruction or removal of the source after that time won't affect the ability. Note that some abilities cause a source to do something (for example, "Prodigal Sorcerer deals 1 damage to target creature or player") rather than the ability doing anything directly. In these cases, any activated or triggered ability that references information about the source because the effect needs to be divided checks that information when the ability is put onto the stack. Otherwise, it will check that information when it resolves. In both instances, if the source is no longer in play, its last known information is used.